[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I am near the point where I am about to get kicked out of

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1323508242113.png (343KB, 766x578px) Image search: [Google]
1323508242113.png
343KB, 766x578px
So I am near the point where I am about to get kicked out of my parents' house.

>Backstory:
It's been 3 years since I graduated with a CS degree. However, I wasn't a good student and didn't learn much so since then, I've been self-studying as a programmer for the past 3 years to get a portfolio up. I worked 2 years at retail and gained income but left to focus more on self-studying. I got an internship 5 months ago but it was unpaid and it ended just last week. I've been on a job search seriously since the start of this month but have had no successful responses so far.

To my parents' eyes, because I'm not making any money, it looked like I was not doing anything so they plan to kick me out. I can't tell them that programming interview processes take a long time - they just want results and I'm failing to deliver them.

> Question:
So how should I go about preparing for this? It's only been the 5th day so far and though I will keep applying for jobs, there is no guarantee I will get one this month. I have a car I can live in but where would be a good safe place to live at in the wild?
>>
This terrifies me. Not getting a job after all the effort and money I spent would be soul crushing
>>
All depends on where you are at. If you can get fitness club membership and ull already be better off than lot of ppl, some manage to stay in their lot tho I wouldn't. Just keep moving car location if u want to be safer.
>>
>>35325438
If you are looking for interview advice:
Just make sure you know your basic algorithms. Most interview questions are centered around object oriented design, data structures (especially hash maps, and binary search trees), and algos like merge sort, minimum spaning trees, and maybe topographical sorts. That sort of thing. If you know those and understand big O. You'll do fine!

Also
>5 week unpaid internship
What country are you from?
That shit sounds ridiculous
>>
>>35325535
It sounds like it could be OP's own fault for not networking in the time that he was in school. All of my friends secured post-uni gigs because of people they met. Then again this is /r9k/ so he could have been doomed from the start.
>>
>>35325592
>networking
yep I'm fucked
>>
>>35325438
At least you have a fucking car. Count your blessings, m8. I've seen anons who have lived out of cars while getting jobs and enough money to find a decent place to live. Also, the military would be very interested in you since you've got a computer science degree. Just make sure you check the weight requirements and sort out any medications you may be taking/mental illnesses you may have.
>>
If you have any type of degree that's a plus. If you need to take job for a while unrelated to make ends meet, try that. During time off look for your preferred job. Also keep up on the freelance stuff. Through trail and error, freelance could become full time income. My Mom has done freelance and self employment for years and makes decent income. But it has taken while to get her stuff right. If you enjoy freelance look for jobs related to CS. You could be a freelance social media guy. Companies really hire people just to manage facebook and social channels. Saw couple ads on my local CL other day. Not a CS wiz, just my advice.
>>
>>35325591
>Hey Anon, I need you to write a fucking b-tree algorithm from scratch
Normies asking tech questions is about as bad as then using Pepe.
>>
>>35325591
Thanks for the info.

>What country are you from?
U.S. But it was a nonprofit organization and frankly, I was in no position to be choosy. I'm quite thankful for them having me.

>>35325592
Yeah, it was my fault for not networking, not denying that. I have a decent more set of connections now although it might be more or less too late.
>>
Welp, feels bad man.

Hope it all works out for you.
>>
>>35325592
>networking
this meme needs to go away
>>
>>35325592
>networking
How do you expect a person with no social skills to do that you fucking retard ?
>>
>>35325438
tfw my mummy knows i'm mummies special autistic babby and will never kick me out

that sucks OP
>>
>>35325535
Same.

origamioriginal
>>
>>35325438
Being homeless isn't so bad.
Im sure you'll get a job soon, but if you can't land one before your folks kick you out, try to survive as long as you can on your own until something comes up.
Then rub it in their faces and cut off all contact with them for the rest of your life.
>>
>>35325438
Sucks to be you

My parents said I could stay with them as long as I want, my meme autistic 26yr old brother is jobless and staying with us still and we don't see him leaving for the foreseeable future

It's nice to have understanding parents
>>
>>35325438
>unpaid internship

Lmaoing at ur life
Seriously don't do that
>>
>>35325921
M8 if you can't write a b-tree in words/pseudocode from memory you shouldn't be a programmer
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.