[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What ruined the "Good Old Days" of the internet.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Dancing Banana.gif (60KB, 500x530px) Image search: [Google]
Dancing Banana.gif
60KB, 500x530px
Everyone seems to really like Pre 2007-08-09 internet far more than what we have today.

What changed? Is it the lack of privacy, is it the commercialization and invasive advertising, is it the stupid normies, is the only sites poeple use today are all the same ones?

What is it? And how do we go back or is that impossible?
>>
Monopoly of social medias and a few websites I would say
>>
I mean, past the excessive advertising on the internet today, I don't really think its objectively worse.

I think it seems worse because of ease of access. Like, the reason you see more shitty people online is because its easier to get a computer/internet connected device
>>
I don't share this feel, it has becoming much more easier for me to find more to learn such as books, papers and some blogs

I can't remember anything I miss, except maybe messenger but I didn't have many people on that anyway
>>
It's a meme to hate on everything right now and miss what it was years ago. It was the same shit, except way less advertisements.

Also agree with >>35308428. Used to love IRC. Discord kind of does the same function, but you need to be invited and shit, you can't just pop in somewhere and start talking shit.
>>
time ruins every thing
>>
>>35308524
Is it really a meme Mr Dawkins?

Honestly all the time on 4chan and other places I see people constantly complaining about Facebook idiots and Reddit cancer.

Honestly those sites both suck. Facebook has 1/5 of the world on it and it data-mines it's users. And Reddit has essentially became the main forum of the internet, but censors it's users.

>>35308371
I guess the first post got it right?
>>
>>35308428
Its harder to find more niche interest sites and forums, forums all got killed by reddit and the smaller chan clones are pretty much gone
>>
File: 1223.png (41KB, 409x406px) Image search: [Google]
1223.png
41KB, 409x406px
>>35308681
This is gonna sound strange but my psychatrist told me that her children don't go on Facekek because they think it is for boring old people

I am saying this because eventually those things could become a thing of the past, I think it will take some time tho and there has to be anything to surpass it

As for reddit, I do honestly like the science subreddits. There are few other places I can ask scientists questions, though I am unsure how qualified they really are.
>>
>>35308347
Homogenization.

Also the shitty Facebook algorithm with the front page mostly being clickbaits and ads rather than user generated content.
>>
>>35308722
Monopolies do form naturally, what type of niche interest sites were you on?
Funny you say reddit because it does have some small niche subreddits
>>
>>35308347
Social media flooded normies online and a few corporations have squeezed out the more interesting aspects of the internet

It's too late to go back, the wild west days are over.
>>
Normies got 24/7 access to the internet because of smartphones.
>>
File: Change in websites overtime.jpg (333KB, 799x852px) Image search: [Google]
Change in websites overtime.jpg
333KB, 799x852px
So let me get this straight. Would most of you agree that the "nu" internet sucks because of normies getting on the internet because of smart phones, monopolization, and commercialization.

Smart Phones
>Very difficult to IP ban
>Allow the lowest common denominator to access the internet.

Monopolization.
>Pic related
>Notice that smaller and more specialized sites became less popular from 2007 to 2012.
>Plus many of the functions of the internet have been taken over by websites.
>Videos = Youtube
>Fourms = Reddit
>Socialization = Facebook
>Sharing Images = Imagure and Tiny Pic
>Personal Websites = Weebly

Commercialization
>Increased number of ads on the internet.
>Websites change or create algorithims to promote content that generates ad revenue. Typically this content tends to be clickbait or low quality.
>Large Companies like Viacom, CNN, and Comacst are trying to dominated the internet.

Would you guys say if a solution was found to fix or treat these problems would the internet be much better.
>>
>>35308792
It seems that no matter where you go no matter how disgusting or lame a niche place can be found.

I have found a couple places on Reddit, DeviantART, and even Roblox that have niche places.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.