[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dyscalculia Destroyed my life, AMA

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0850.jpg (23KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0850.jpg
23KB, 306x306px
dyscalculia Destroyed my life, AMA
>>
Do you think you can still play a role and give at least a little value back to society, even though you're retarded?
>>
>>35305009
>dyscalculia
>never actually existed until late 20th century

You fell for a meme. Now you're done. gg anon
>>
>>35305009
According to Wikipedia people with dyscalculia tend to have high IQs, so really you have no excuse.
>>
>>35305042
I failed every class I was in during primary school parents just blamed the teachers, literally cannot learn
>>
>>35305112
And high school, obviously
>>
>>35305105
If having high IQ means that you can still fail classes in primary school, then measuring IQ is worthless. OP is a retard and no number changes that.

OP, Come back when you learn how to algebra. Use khanacademy or other online resources, no excuses.
>>
>>35305105
Don't know basic math and couldn't learn no matter how much my father yelled at me when helping with homework to try make me understand had the attention span of a goldfish meme disorder or not am I just a fucking idiot
>>
>>35305151
I couldn't focus long enough to do that.
>>
>>35305165
>can't do basic math
>is able to write

wtf anon? I don't believe you
>>
>>35305201
Don't know times tables, I remember when I was 12 my father said he would pay me $100 if I learned them, I never did. This ability to not learn created fundamentally low self esteem which has crippled my life
>>
>>35305192
Sounds like a retard to me. Be honest, you don't have some disability you looked up on wiki. You are just stupid. It's ok, so are many other people, but stop self diagnosing tumblr-tier disabilities.

If you can't focus long enough to learn basic math..... well I hope you're just pretending for some (You)s
>>
>>35305249
Holy shit, this is making me feel worse,
>>
>>35305239
Does a sum like 2+2 put you in serious mental distress?
>>
>>35305275
no, it's 4
>>
>>35305249
What do you mean retard?
>>
>>35305322
Op doesnt have some manufactured disability. he has been dealt nothing other than stupidity
>>
>>35305295
So you're a fucking faggot. If you can do 2+2 it means you can do anything up to calc 1 with average effort.
>>
>>35305344
It's not manufactured, it's scientifically proven, also I'm not literally dumb
>>
>>35305359

I had trouble with this. I don't think I had legit mathlexia though. I'm just ADD as shit and when I have to slow down and write every step down I fuck up big time and decimals or digits swap places.

Just take the hit for not showing your work, or go backwards from the answer to get to the original problem if they make you do it. Fortunately irl people prefer you do as much in your head as you can. When I work I scribble down numbers so the paper essentially acts as my RAM.
>>
>>35305359

Hows the weather in delusionville?
>>
>>35305388
Come back when you learn 2 math, just simple algebra will be of great utility to you. I believe in you
>>
>>35305432
Holy shit you people are ignorant do you even believe in any mental disorders or are they all memes
>>
>>35305411
Well color me surprised. Who the fuck doesn't need some paper when solving a problem that's not just a simple string of operations?

You may have some difficulty, but you are convinced that you have ADD and thus can't succeed. You're a fag.
>>
I have dyscalculia too, OP. Fuck the cunts in this thread, they don't know anything.
>10th grade
>failing math class
>teacher directs me to advisor, who directs me to a psychologist
>psych gives me a bunch of tests to check my abilities
>get diagnosed with "Specific Learning Disorder" (basically dyscalculia by another name)
>results show that I have abnormally high intellect when it comes to reading and writing, but abnormally low intellect in mathematical areas (as well as some cognitive/motor issues that make it hard to write and draw)
Basically, this "Hurr your disability isn't real, you're just stupid and you're not trying hard enuff!! Listen in class!!1" meme is made up by idiot normies. Don't fall for it, and don't listen to people who tell you you're "just retarded". After all, people with dyslexia aren't considered dumb.
I really recommend that you get tested and have this documented so that if you ever want to start your life up, in, say, college, they'll give you special privileges like calculator use on any/all math tests.
>>
>>35305472
Theres 2 kinds of people in this world, smart people and retards. Maybe I will include you in the smart group when you can do long division
>>
>>35305436
ive been trying to do that for 15 years and the only thing I got out of school is an ability to write poorly I might add I don't understand grammar either, all my report cards are just pure fails every single subject I failed or barely passed but always failed math
>>
>>35305505
>implying who you consider "smart" will ever matter to anyone in this world
Chop chop, anon. Mommy's tendies are waiting.
>>
>>35305505
>>35305472

>high reading and writing intellect
>just like fucking everyone else except downies and niggers
>low math intelligence
>like downies and niggers

>meme 21st century diseases

boy you just didn't put effort in this like everyone else
>>
>>35305541
>>35305550
Upset retards with meme disabilities
>>
>>35305472
What the fuck went on in my life, failing every single subject, every report card says I can't focus, need to try harder, obvious autistic behaviour, parents literally put all blame on bad teachers holy shit I should have had 20 therapists and been on every pill under the sun. I had no idea about mental illness I thought I was fucking dumb for 15 years yeah that's fucking good for my mental Health
>>
>>35305009

I don't know why but that OP post made me laugh hysterically.
>>
>>35305550
>>just like fucking everyone else except downies and niggers
Actually, the level I'm at when it comes to reading/writing is statistically few and far between. According to documentation, I'd score better than 93% of other people in my age group in a writing test.
I guess that makes you and most of the population downies and niggers.
>>
>>35305009
not a real thing. you just happen to be an idiot.

congrats OP.
>>
>>35305550
I tried so fucking hard and still completely failed, I don't know what else to say
>>
>>35305627
why do you call mental disorders fake? Do you believe in any science
>>
>>35305608
Reading intelligence means that you can understand a written text and get T/F questions about it right. That's piss easy and being in the 99% percentile means shit when there's virtually no difference with the 20% percentile. Reading intelligence is a requirement for a normal human being.
>>
>>35305580
Your parents and teachers failed you, m8. I'm pretty sure a good amount of people don't just "need to try harder" if they consistently fail at something no matter how hard they try, there's just clearly something wrong.
I know it's shitty now, but it's never too late to try and get help, if just to redeem yourself for the years spent having shattered self-confidence.
>>
>>35305668
the inability to into maths is not a mental disorder.

it's just that OP is bad at math, so are tons of people and so i am i. most of us just don't feel the need to label ourselves with a 'mental disorder' to justify our failures.
>>
>>35305678
I always did want to study at a uni, but I always considered myself too fucking dumb, low self esteem is now deeply ingrained.
>>
>>35305671
>i-it's piss easy! anyone can do it, i swear!! doesn't count!!
Okay, anon. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>35305702
Did you fail almost every single subject in school?
>>
>>35305678
i need mental help, definitely
>>
>>35305728
no. but i did stop learning math after pre-algebra. i got a TI89 titanium almost right when it came out so i learned how to make my calculator do everything for me, got me all the way through calculus 1.

what does being bad at math have to do with failing other class though? that literally makes no sense.
>>
>>35305790
I also have add, and avoidant personality disorder,
>>
>>35305724
But it's true.

>boi I'm 99 percentile in reading comprehension
>w-what does it mean everyone can understand w-written texts anon? B-but I understood t-them better! L-like a T/F question m-more than the 80 percentile, a-and two more than the 50 percentile!! I-I'm better I swear
>>
>>35305812
avoidant personality disorder is a meme desu. and ADD means you're prescribed legal meth, so congrats on that.

again, your OP stated that your inability to do math ruined your life. how does that contribute to you failing everything else?

maybe you're just lazy/unmotivated/stupid? it seems more likely than you having a laundry list of 'disorders' that you can perfectly scapegoat your pathetic existence with.
>>
>>35305714
Im also cursed with this apparent "meme disease"
Didn't stop me from signing up for trade school and learning database management (which was solely dependent on math)
Turned out i wasted 3 years of my life & got little done.
>>
>>35305926
Genuinely kekd. Now I feel bad.
>>
>>35305904
The inability to do math created fundamental sense of feeling lower than everyone else. So I never tried to do anything because I knew I would fail
>>
>>35305904
I'm completely self diagnosed as of yesterday actually so no meth, it was a shocking revelation
>>
>>35305994
Realising I'm actually not fucking retarded but deeply mentally ill
>>
>>35305953
again, congrats. you are a malformed human bean with absolutely no ability to deal with failure.

that doesn't constitute a mental illness. it just means that you are a weak individual. it's best that you just accept this.

you come off as a huge faggot when you justify this fact with the whole, 'i have xyz guis! it's not my fault!', excuse.

own up to your shortcomings and quit making excuses pal.
>>
>>35305843
Then why didn't you score higher in English?

>>35305714
Shit sucks. Remember, though, everyone who told you you were "just dumb" or "lazy" are actually those things themselves. They can't wrap their head around the concept that some people have problems they simply don't, or that their brains are wired differently.
>>
>>35305994
>self-diagnosed

and the plot fucking thickens. you really need to hard look at your existence and start being honest with yourself and your failings.
>>
>>35306022
Because I'm not an English native speaker
>>
>>35306041
What else would it be? Am I just really really fucking dumb?
>>
>>35306043
Excuses. You clearly didn't apply yourself, or are just too stupid to learn English at the level you claim everyone who "isn't a downie or nigger" is at.
>>
>>35306067
Maybe youre just demotivated, with no self esteem?
>>
>>35306041
I was completely uninterested in the work at school from grade 1 to 12, I just didn't understand how other kids just sat there studying I didn't fucking understand it and I still don't, it's so so so fucking boring it always has been
>>
>>35306096
I'm actually native level in reading comprehension by IELTS standard (which means 9/9). Written is still shitty because guess what I'm not an anglo-Germanic language native speaker. If English were my native I wouldn't have any excuse.
>>
>>35306110
Why though would someone pretty much continually fail every subject from grade 1 to 12?
What made me different from all other kids if it wasn't a meme disorder
>>
>>35306154
>guess what I'm not an anglo-Germanic language native speaker
You're literally admitting here that your abilities and brain are not predisposed to written English (in this case, it's because you were simply trained in another way language-wise), but the idea that other peoples' abilities and brains are not predisposed to mathematics is impossible to you. Do you also think dyslexia is a "meme disease"?
>If English were my native I wouldn't have any excuse.
And yet, there are plenty of natives who fail in both those categories.
>>
>>35306067
>>35306125
>>35306157

you're probably both dumb and unmotivated. the reasons for which will probably require you to take a hard look at yourself or the help of a therapist.

none of you have diseases. it's best to just accept it and stop making excuses.
>>
File: fasrt.png (60KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
fasrt.png
60KB, 300x300px
>>35305467

I just said I can succeed, retard. Do you have some kind of dyslexia?. When I'm not set up to fail I do fine. In real life you aren't expected to show, people just want solutions to the problem. I have a diagnosis for ADD and take amphetamine, math is easy-peasy on the shit. Just don't ask me to write down every little step when I'm 5 steps ahead in my mind.

Must proceed at high velocity
>>
>>35306255
Why was a fucked before I even knew about mental diseases, I was failing in first grade?
>>
>>35306255
Why would a 7 year old child be unmotivated that's basically when it started
>>
>>35306232
No one trained you to be bad at math. Also, I am convinced that if you can do simple addition you can do anything up to calc 1. I will tell you why.

Sums and multiplication of integers are the same thing. 2+2+2+2 equals 4*2. This makes me think that you shouldn't have any difficulty with multiplying numbers if you can add numbers.

Subtraction means adding negative numbers, so if you can add two integers you can subtract too.

Fractions may be trickier and normie children start getting mad at math at this point. In this case difficulty is excusable but, since multiplication is the 'inverse' of division and multiplication and sum are the same concept, this can be overcome with effort.

I believe you have difficulties but you can't be dumb. You can do it and I am convinced of it.
>>
>>35306320
because you were dumb and unmotivated then too. now that you know about mental illnesses, you are grasping at anything you can in order to throw responsibility for your failures onto something, anything, that can absolve you.

>>35306367
who knows? maybe it's just the way you are. some people are born to be a disappointment to themselves and others; you may be one of those people. look at your own childhood, think critically and you'll probably find the cause of it yourself.
>>
>>35306423
Haha my father said the same thing then he started yelling at me because I couldn't understand it
>>
>>35306427
How do I do that I would love to find the cause,
>>
>>35306427
Are you trying to trick me into killing my self because I didn't plan on it
>>
>>35306470
Maybe he's right yknow desu senpai
>>
>>35306492
you need professional help. you obviously have some massive issues that you need to work through.

>>35306562
no, you can kill yourself if you want though; i wouldn't stop you, mostly because i don't care either way. all i'm trying to do is explain why you would want to attach yourself to some mental illness at this point in your life.
>>
>>35306423
>No one trained you to be bad at math.
No, but I was literally born with a brain that favored one line of reasoning over the other, which subsequently tainted my approach to learning and made a subject like math (which relies mostly on abstract reasoning, something I'm not predisposed to) far, far more difficult than it would be for someone without that same disability.
Multiplication without a pen, paper and several hours on hand is out of the question because I simply can't interpret it. I can understand something rudimentary like 2*2 = 4 because of the small amount of time that would be spent counting out such a thing (just the number two added twice), but 12*3 = 36 simply does not compute. Similarly, taking mental "shortcuts" to avoid counting things out isn't a concept that my mind accepts or adopts.
That's the difference between someone with and without this disability. It doesn't necessarily make me dumb, I just lack adequate mechanics required for complex mathematical operations.
>>
>>35306706
Are you aware that doing multiplication is just mindless droning? No one actually has 12*3 visualized in their mind! They just memorized the process (in my case is 3*2+3*10) which allows them to come up with the solution. In fact I didn't visualize any of these concepts, I just droned out and solved the multiplication using nor reason nor critical nor abstract thinking, just memory. Maybe you overthink shit?
>>
>>35306706
most people just use simple rote memorization for the times tables 1-12.

no abstract thinking required there buddy.

stop with these mental gymnastics, you're just dumb. deal with it.
>>
>>35306813
Memorizing processes or the numbers past the most basic of basic falls under the "mental shortcut" category for me because numbers in themselves are abstract instead of literal.
For example,
>(in my case is 3*2+3*10)
How this could possibly relate to 12*3 is lost on me unless I'm meant to already be aware that the answer is 36. It's probably obvious for someone else, but not me. Like I said, I would literally need to count things out to come to a conclusion, but that's much slower (on top of being not how most people function), which is why it's a disability.

>>35306861
>you're just dumb
That sure explains why I passed literally every other subject except math.
>>
>>35306983
if you can't memorize your times tables, yes you are dumb.

3rd graders can manage this.
>>
>>35307008
Again
>That sure explains why I passed literally every other subject except math.
And why I have no problem memorizing non-numerical information. It must be easy insisting people can't possibly function differently from you do and that they must just be dumb.
>>
>>35306983
You are overthinking it. It's truly mindless. You can memorize phone numbers or passwords, you can memorize this kind of process to solve multiplication. You don't have to think about it, you just have to memorize it like you memorize a password.
>>
>>35307093
>You can memorize phone numbers
Funny you say that: I can't. None of my passwords make use of numbers for exactly that reason.
There are just some processes I can't memorize, even with repetition. It only "sticks" if I can deduce it for myself, and since I can't do that except in the case of simple adding/subtracting, it doesn't work.
>>
File: IMG_9915.png (698KB, 608x715px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9915.png
698KB, 608x715px
>>35307209
>tfw too intelligent to do mindless processes like memorization
>tfw society considers me dumb
>>
>>35307281
I can memorize, just not mathematical processes. It's mindless to you, but not me.
If you can't understand that, you're the dumb one m8.
>>
>>35307324
Actually I'm saying that you're too intelligent to do mindless shit. It makes sense, but ironically makes you dysfunctional. You convinced me you have serious problems with numbers. Anyway I think you still can with big effort.
>>
I'm good at math and the retards in this thread saying it's because you didn't try hard enought make even me mad
I'm sorry for you OP
>>
File: crying tard pepe.jpg (36KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
crying tard pepe.jpg
36KB, 657x527px
I know your pain OP
>tfw math geek faggots think im some retarded neanderthal because i was in on-level math classes
>>
File: 1471984869423462.png (487KB, 560x443px) Image search: [Google]
1471984869423462.png
487KB, 560x443px
I think people who are bad at math are just extremely intelligent, or autistic.

You see, i was always very bad at math. I just can't concentrate when looking at numbers, when i calculate the first step of an math task i suddenly think about a hundred different things on what to do with these numbers, it's like my head is exploding.

Maybe i just have ADD or some shit, but its not a meme, i was the best writer and reader in school, i even won an reading contest.

Idk what went wrong with my brain, but i fucking hate it, it made me become a neet, no one ever cared, fuck my parents.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.