[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I good at anything?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3726.jpg (25KB, 600x410px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3726.jpg
25KB, 600x410px
>never had a hobby in my life
>Get into something
>Really enjoy doing it
>Bad at it but it's fun
>See someone who's really good at it and ask what they think
>they explain to me how bad I am at it
>feel really sad for some reason

Why do I suck at everything?

Pic related, it makes me happy when I feel like this.
>>
>>35265567
Just instead of asking what they think, ask them what they think you can do to improve.
>>
>>35265609
But I suck at it really bad, and inproving is really really hard. I just want to have fun.
>>
>>35265638
If it's a hobby that involves other people, just try to hang out with beginners if you just want to have fun. That way they won't be judgmental like that person you mentioned.
Also good on you for actually trying hobbies, I've had many hobbies I've wanted to do but never actually did them.
>>
>>35265705
It doesn't involve other people but the people around you who also do it are very experienced and good at it. I never really felt singled out because of how much fun I was having.

But I dunno, what that guy said really hit me hard. Made me consider if it's the hobby for me if I'm so bad at it.
>>
>>35265750
What's the hobby btw?
>>
>>35265835
It's writing stories. I've always sucked shit at English but I really like my ideas. It's really fun to write them out.

I left school and had to retake my English. I didn't get a C in it until I was 21.
>>
If someone signing to say that and not give constructive criticism they suck to begin with, Senpai. It feels bad for someone to say that but I have a feeling they're a shitty person.
Do what you like no matter what desu
>>
>>35265638
Do you want to have fun or do you want to be good? Nobody ever got good by just having fun. Instruments take thousands of hours of boring repetition. Sports take cardio and drills. Art takes drawing hundreds of the same figure until it's right.
>>
>>35265567
>Never had a hobby in my life
>Get into something
>Don't enjoy it
>Back to not having a hobby

A lot of things seem fun to do when you imagine it, but when you actually try it, there's only boredom to be found. I can't seem to enjoy anything that takes even a mild amount of effort.

(Funny you mention writing stories, as that happens to be the latest pursuit I abandoned.)
>>
>>35265863
I see, that does sound pretty hard. Have you tried reading other peoples short stories and tried analyzing what makes them good? Also how much do you practice with it?
I haven't tried writing before, but I'm pretty sure like almost every other hobby, it simply requires practice, inspiration, learning the fundamentals, and creativity.
>>
>>35265925
>Do you want to have fun or do you want to be good?

I dunno. It's really hard to explain how I feel, I just want to be happy and have a blast.

>Nobody ever got good by just having fun.
>Instruments take thousands of hours of boring repetition. Sports take cardio and drills. Art takes drawing hundreds of the same figure until it's right.

I-I know. Like I said though, I just want to be happy and have a lot of fun.
>>
>>35265949
Writing stories is very hard to get into, so it's not surprising that a lot of people drop it. Although when you finally get past the learning curve, it feels very rewarding and worth it. Just like most things in life, you have to give to get.
>>
>>35265969
I read other people's stories all the time. It's fun to do that aswell, but I never really analysed them to look at what makes them good.

I really don't want to stop writing stories because it's enjoyable. I love sharing my ideas with other people and entertaining them.
>>
>>35266027
There's probably lots of tutorials where you can learn the fundamental principles for writing. There's probably all sorts of tips and advice that'll make your stories more enjoyable and interesting.
Also it seems you need to become used to criticism. Do you write stories on that Writing Prompts subreddit? On that thing, someone comes up with a prompt and people write very short stories for it. Then people can comment on it and either praise or criticize it. If you learn to handle criticism you can use that to fix your mistakes and become better.
>>
>>35266138
I don't go on any subreddits or anything. I just usually write a story that turns out to have a shit structure and many many mistakes. People tell me the story is good (I'm not sure if they're lying or being truthful) but tell me my structure and stuff is bad. I've tried to improve over a month of actually researching stuff.

But it's still shit, it always has mistakes and I'm not improving. When I got into writing I didn't know it would be this hard, I just wanted to share my ideas.

I can kindle handle criticism. But most of the time it makes me sad and think about how bad I am. Now I realise I sound like a retard.
>>
>>35266255
Hey man, I understand it's not easy to have someone say something negative about something you put a lot of time and effort into.
Stuff like structure can be fixed, I'm sure you can find a way to figure it out.
>>
>>35265983
Yeah duh, everyone likes fun. Everyone would have a constant stream of dopamine and fun going into them all the time if they could. But that hobby doesn't exist. You get out what you put in.
>>
>>35265995
It's not that it's hard, I just feel like the act itself isn't particularly fun. I like thinking up new ideas and imagining characters encountering certain events, but it's not too engaging to try to create an actual plot and story around that for me.
>>
>>35266414
>But that hobby doesn't exist.
Dunno, video games and wasting time on 4chan are basically that for me. It sucks, though, because when you step away from doing either of these things for a moment, you feel like shit due to the stream of dopamine being suddenly cut off.
>>
>>35266501
Yeah, that's why most video games are a bad use of time. There are video games that are an exception to this, sandbox games, where you make things, which isn't particular fun in the moment, but feels pretty amazing when you create something great. The obvious example would be minecraft, where you can make an awesome structure, and even after creating it, you can experience it over and over again by adding to whatever you're making, like if you're making a town.
>>
>>35266370
I hope I can. But there's just something about seeing another writer tell you how they would've wrote that part out. And then realising how much better they do it. I sometimes feel if maybe my ideas deserve to be written out by people who are better.

>>35266414
I just want to be happy with what I do. I never asked to be thrown into a large pit of snakes and told to write myself out of it. I just wanted to write a story, I didn't know stories had such a high standard.

I'm not smart or anything so when they started showing me some way I could make it better it kinda confused me.

Like what the hell does passive and active talking even mean? It's so confusing.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.