[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on giving money to the homeless?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 10

File: homeless.jpg (301KB, 955x500px) Image search: [Google]
homeless.jpg
301KB, 955x500px
What's your opinion on giving money to the homeless?
>>
I used to live in SF, where every-fukkin-body was up in your face, spanging you. After that, idgaf about giving anyone my hard-earned shekels. They've poisoned this well, my friend.
>>
File: lunar abyss.jpg (19KB, 228x300px) Image search: [Google]
lunar abyss.jpg
19KB, 228x300px
>>35216166
don't do it.

the only homeless people that deserve to survive are the ones that are resourceful and learn how to make money or how to cultivate a skill that can earn them money. Or if they're intelligent enough, they could understand how a person lives without money at all.

most beggars are fucking disgusting that spend your money on cigarettes and alcohol, and sometimes crack.
>>
File: AI-rdbin030-04.jpg (19KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
AI-rdbin030-04.jpg
19KB, 250x250px
i don't have any money, so i don't
>>
>>35216166
The one time I ever did everyone near me started yelling at me and told me the dude was just a druggie (I wasn't from the place), I turned to respond to the people and when I did the druggie scrambled away
After that, I decided the homeless or beggars weren't worthy of kindness.
Besides, if some can survive without begging then the others can too
>>
Come to Seattle and find out why you don't give money to those foul excuses of degenerates
>>
I live in atlanta, so I already know which homeless is legit and which isn't. It doesn't quite matter since they all go to their little homeless city under the bridge near MLK street and give out blowjobs for drugs. Too bad about the recent cold snap though
>>
Try giving them food first, if they reject it and seem annoyed they just want money for drugs or booze
>>
File: 1486188937420.jpg (4KB, 250x123px) Image search: [Google]
1486188937420.jpg
4KB, 250x123px
>>35216166
I used to walk through a town filled with homeless to take the train to uni and throughout that time I came up with a system to give them money.

The more creative and convoluted their story, the more pocket change I gave them.
With the exception of this one homeless couple that was always in the same corner. They looked so happy you'd think they were just two dirty people taking a breather.
>>
>>35216166
I normally hand out bags of weed it costs me nothing to grow it and they can sell it for a few dollarydoos or get high.
>>
>>35216166
They should get basic minimum income anyway. Less and less should work as we become more and more automated, outsourcing of jobs notwithstanding.

If it takes less to do more in this age, then there is only one obvious thing to do. Up the welfare. Ironically the opposite happens often.

If we keep going down this road, everyone that isn't at least a B student get's to go to prison for not ''''trying'''' hard enough.
>>
dont give them any if in the united states
>>
>>35216166
It gives me an ego boost, so I try not to give them money unless I have no other choice
>>
>>35216166
I refuse to give money to the homeless, but I did buy a sandwich for this one dude though.

Got to talking to him. He was traveling from Dallas Texas to Seattle WA and ran out of money, so he just stopped. Said he was going to walk the rest of the way.

Godspeed sandwich man.
>>
>>35217194
Or toilet paper, or toothpaste, or money to get into a shelter, money to wash their clothes, new socks, etc.

Fucking old right winger (chrisfag) idiot propaganda. Kill yourself.
>>
>>35216166
I normally give them beers or mickeys (375mL) of liquor instead of money, most are grateful, some politely refuse, a minority get rude (this is in Toronto)

I've had some pretty unbelievable experiences with rude homeless people. Some drunk native confronts me outside the liquor store since he sees me counting change upon exit and straight up asks for $3. I tell him I'm not giving him anything, he pulls out a piece of paper and gives it to me...it's a fine he received for like $90 or something for drinking in public. I don't know why he gave it to me, but I got a laugh out of it so I gave him the change I had in my hand. He didn't even say thanks, just started dumbly counting it and asked "is that $3?" Should have asked for it back or floored him, but he already touched it and it wasn't worth the trouble.

>>35217169
I've been to Atlanta, saw some homeless niggers who don't even try. "ayo gimme a dolla"
>>
Case by case basis.
A lot of them deserve to die. Some are mentally ill. A few could use your charity. Look at their shoes and look into their eyes.

Around here, there used to be a family that would appear homeless but really they had a nice house in suburbia.
>>
File: 1359649563439.gif (477KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1359649563439.gif
477KB, 500x281px
Whole lot of scumbags ITT.

I've got money and they don't, they need it more than me so I'll give it to them. If anyone needs to get drunk or high it's those poor fuckers, I'll be happy if my money can bring them a little relief.

Fuck you scumbag idiots thinking you're better than them just because you got lucky in life. It should be you on that street, not them.
>>
>>35217347

If you took marta you definitely should've seen them. Five points is an amazing place
>>
>>35217352
>juding a book by it's cover
>being lazy means you deserve to die
>>
Native homeless are some of the worst.
They deserve to die.

I used to live as a homeless in the Midwest.
The majority of them live like feral animals and a few are decent people who got severely screwed.
>>
>>35217194
Would you accept food from a random stranger?
http://m.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2016/11/04/san-antonio-cop-fired-for-giving-homeless-person-an-actual-shit-sandwich
>>
I already give part of my wages to you basement dwelling autist. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>35216825
you are fucking retarded if you think it is possible to learn a craft while being homeless. if it ever happens to you I would like to see you try finding a job/internshit when you smell like old piss and your clothes are dirty. and since you are a robot and all you know are dank memes, this will be you pretty soon.
>>
I give them money. So what if they use it on drugs? I was just gonna do the same thing.
>>
>>35217394
Fine help them. Donate your money to them. Suck their dicks in the back alley.
Don't say we didn't warn you when one of them shoves a broken beer bottle through your neck.
>>
>>35216825
idgaf if they spend it on alcohol desu. They're life's shit enough as it is. I'd do the same.
>>
I pretty much never do, just get asked too much.
>>
>smell like ass
>no clean clothes
>sleep on the cold pavement every night
>no entertainment
>at the mercy of random strangers
>teeth are rotten from eating out of the trash
>no car
>no social status
>constantly called lazy
>just get a job bro lmao
>>
>>35217458
different Anon here
>>implying giving small money to beggars is the same as giving them blowjobs
>>implying they are all murder hobos
>>
personally i don't give money to the homeless but i think it's great that people give to the homeless. it's a free market exchange with no coercion involved.

charity > welfare
>>
>>35217458
>make everything illegal
>homeless now illegal
>employers know you don't want to get raped by insane bums in prison so you bend over backwards for boss in fear of losing job in overly competitive job market

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Oh wait, already there. How's your back?
>>
>>35217528
same, I moved to San Francisco for school and it is fucking ridiculous how many hobos there are here. I don't think any NYC or any other big city has it this bad

I don't understand how the crime rate is not higher considering all the people with nothing left to lose
>>
>>35216166
I don't give money. For one, I almost never carry cash. Two, I give food instead. If somebody is really that hard up then they'll appreciate food. If they get mad for me not giving money, I know they didn't need money anyways and I can tell them to go fuck themselves.

I don't think anyone should give the homeless money. It encourages panhandling, which is unsafe for both parties, obnoxious, and an eye sore.
>>
File: 13 - t1Qen9g.jpg (23KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
13 - t1Qen9g.jpg
23KB, 320x320px
>>35216166
I do, even if it's for booze.

Last time a homeless man gave me the ring he was wearing to thank me, it was pretty cute. Too bad it doesn't fit me
>>
>>35216166
I do it because I know they won't better themselves.
It's like giving money to the modern day hermit. I do it out of respect.
>>
>Approached by little old lady
"Please, Sir, I just need a little money for food. I sleep in my car..."
>Give her the last $15 out of my wallet
"...you know, I could really do a lot more with $75. There's an ATM inside. Please come back with another $60."
>>
I became homeless and ppl still asked me for shit all the time. Stuff gets old.
>>
>>35217614
>I don't understand how the crime rate is not higher

Effective social welfare programs.

Turns out people are actually less likely to commit crimes when they have access to food and shelter.
>>
>>35216166
Good if the homeless looks cool (old, long hair and beard, long coat), bad if he looks lame (nigger, fat, full shaved), this is my opinion.
>>
>>35217563
And this concludes todays game of spot the libertarian.
>>
>>35217239
>BBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAAAFTTTTTTT BROOOOOMP PRRRAAAAAAAAAAAT
>>
>>35217661

They're also less likely to get jobs or try to better their circumstances
>>
>>35217614
Brain dead hippies that got burnt out and never left maybe?
>>
>>35217702
That's irrelevant.

Self improvement is a spook.
>>
>>35216166
If it's to provide some relief to their wretched lives/addictions and I have the money to spare then yeah I guess. But the people who hold up signs on the streets are the biggest shills.
>>
I pay taxes, they receive welfare. My duty ends there.
>>
>>35216965
This. In New York you can pull a full, half fresh meal out of the dumpster.
>>
I think a lot of them are just people who prefer that lifestyle. Not all of them but I think a lot of them are.
>>
There are more reasons than drugs and alcohol to become homeless. Maybe they're schizophrenic or their bitch wife cheated on them. I give them money now and again. Not much, only as much as a quid or two.

Whether they go and spend it on booze or drugs is of no concern of mine. I gave money to someone in need and am happy
>>
>>35217783

You're right, so we should just leave them to their own devices
>>
>>35217337
This why don't people who want to give the homeless shit give them supplies worth the same amount? Seriously thinking of creating supply packs for hobos.
>>
>>35217430
Didn't know cops were capable of such bantz.
>>
>>35217822
>anyone that actually needs it gets it
You know how hard it can be to actually get on that?
>>
>>35217846
You're not very bright are you.

The correct answer is to support them unconditionally without expecting self improvement, because self improvement is stupid.
>>
>>35217867
Or, you know, you could let someone choose what to actually buy faggot.

Freedom is dying so damned hard.
>>
>>35216166
I make sure to always buy them a coffee or breakfast sandwich. Once I saw a homeless guy out in the cold with no blanket on; his blanket was wrapped around his dog, keeping him warm and he was talking to the dog like it was a person.
I got him a $50 gift card for a take-out place because I am schizophrenic with a dog and I am one family member away from being out on my ass like that guy.

also I try to do what jesus would do.
>>
>>35217901
not him but how is self improvement bad?
>>
>>35217867
Sounds like a great way to waste your money on a bunch of shit that'll get thrown in the trash and not actually help anyone.

Realistically they'll pick a couple of things they want out of your dumb little 'supply packs' and just trash the rest. Better to just give them the money and they can buy what they need themselves.
>>
File: e9cp5Zi.png (718KB, 679x524px) Image search: [Google]
e9cp5Zi.png
718KB, 679x524px
I tell them where the nearest foodbank is and to get a job.

when you see the same fag begging outside your grocery store every day it gets old
>>
>>35217534
teeth are rotten from not brushing every day for years senpai.
>>
ehh
Not alot of homless round here.
I get them a mcdonalds sandwich or some cigs if i see em smoking
>>
>>35217931
It's completely subjective and arbitrary. What you consider "self improvement" I consider masturbation.

Go read a dumb self-help book if you think that bullshit is so valuable.
>>
>>35217943
they will just buy drugs though
>>
>>35217970
That would still be a better use of your money than giving them literal trash.
>>
>>35217996
i dont give beggars anything
>>
>>35217970
unpopular opinion, but drug addicts need to eat and clothe and wash themselves too.
>>
>>35216995
Why, what is it about Seattle?
>>
i always give money to the homeless, they make good conversation. plus it helps me get my "good person" points for the day. if i can fund some poor homeless dudes escapism for the day, so be it.
>>
>>35217967
>What you consider "self improvement" I consider masturbation.
>OHMYGODIREADFIGHTCLUBNOWIMSOWISE
>>
>>35217970
so what
o

w
h
a
t

Just because someone doesn't buy le drugz doesn't magically make the world a better place, and it does not mean that that is what is keeping on the streets. You're spewing propaganda created back when prohibition happened in murka, over 100 years ago. Banning drugs and uping the prison population is essentially banning heaven on earth under penalty of hell on earth.

There is nothing wrong with having drugs, and it has nothing to do with being homeless, and even if it did, it's because they got landed homeless because the drugs were banned in the first place, and they shouldn't piss test people in the first place.

Come on now.

You absolute faggots.

So sick of the ancient propaganda. The world doesn't need to be this way.
>>
>>35217967
The word improvement has a meaning. In the context of being at the lowest in life it means quite a lot.
>>
>>35218029
>being so stupid you're literally anti-intellectual
>>
>>35218039
>Just because someone doesn't buy le drugz doesn't magically make the world a better place,

which is more important to not being homeless

Drugs

or

Food/Clothes

think carefully, maybe the abuse of substances isn't exactly helping the situation
>>
>>35217901
>The correct answer is to support them unconditionally without expecting self improvement

If supporting these people means dehumanizing them into mere vehicles by which to signal how virtuous we are, as you do, I want no part of it
>>
I treat bums like a npc in a video game. I just ignore anything they say and walk by them and don't even acknowledge their existence.
>>
>>35218210
>I'm too virtuous to demonstrate virtue
>Instead, I help the world by being a shit
>>
I would only do it if they said they WOULD spend it on alcohol
>>
>>35218269

>he thinks liberal policies actually empower people
>>
File: 1193288266500.jpg (22KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1193288266500.jpg
22KB, 640x480px
In my city there's tons of food banks and the buses let them hop on for free, so I ignore them when they say they're starving or need bus fare.

I sometimes give a buck if they have an entertaining sign or come right out and say they want to buy booze/drugs.
>>
>>35218269
I don't claim to want to help the world, because that's beyond any individual's power

If someone I knew came on hard times, it's within my power to help them with a relatively complete understanding of the consequences of those actions
>>
>>35218327
If you think god holds conservative """values""" in high regard, you're going to be a sorry little man when you die having helped nobody and told homeless people to get a job.
>>
Most of them not like I need to be fed or give me money and WUHU imma get drunk
>>
Every man and women has to earn their way of life no free handouts sorry.
>>
>>35218368

Conservatives give more money to charity than Liberals.

Virtue-signalling and giving some alcoholic money don't help the homeless. Food drives and creating a business-friendly economy where employers are more willing to take a chance on the long-term unemployed do.
>>
>>35218125
>they don't get to choose
>just because you have the basics you can't/shouldn't have any more money

Not everyone can work asshole. And drugs don't cost any more to make than food and even less than clothes. If you're not working anyway, you can just dress ragged. How is the logic escaping you?

When did you decide that people don't deserve the right to choose how they have fun?

Do you really think everyone can work?

Do you think everyone that should be on welfare is or ever will be?

Why are you such an asshole?
>>
>>35216166
Waste of money, I'm incredibly stingy due to a growing up with multiple siblings and if the money doesn't go towards satisfying me then there's no point.
>>
>>35218507
>Not everyone can work asshole.

then eugenics can work it''s magic

>but that's WROOONNNGGG

So is turning my city into an eyesore and ruining tourism, which will eventually put me with them as well.
>>
>>35218451
>>35218451
>"I give money to charity"
>"virtue signaling"
>le capitalist utopia meme xP

Liberals are going to hell too, but rich people donating money to charities and then sitting on their asses for the rest of their lives feeling smug pretty much have their own circle.
>>
>>35218543
This unironic fascism honestly pisses me off to the point of supporting communist revolution.
>>
>>35218631

>Supporting eugenics and a stable economy is fascism

Then call me trump
>>
File: explain.png (44KB, 1024x448px) Image search: [Google]
explain.png
44KB, 1024x448px
>>35218644
Two choices:
>sturdy hell
>brittle heaven
>>
>>35216166
You have to remember, homeless people are mostly the mentally ill, followed by drug addicts (who use drugs to self-medicate their mental illnesses), followed by a ton of other unfortunate circumstances. Nobody is homeless out of laziness.
My dad was homeless for a bit because of his severe schizophrenia and he didn't do drugs or even ask for money. He kept track of all his odd jobs he managed to get and how much each employee owed him and he never got paid a dime of it. The boostraps meme isjust a myth.
When my dad died, he left me his truck and a list of money that he earned for working but never received.

(he was homeless because he had 20,000CAD saved up and some family members fell on hard times and he gave it all to them because he had such a soft heart and couldn't bear to see his family not eat. he was so innocent and generous... fuck)
>>
>>35218644
supporting eugenics is facism. no jokes here.
>>
>>35216166
I don't do it anymore
They could be honest and make enough money to eat and sleep after a day of panhandling and selling shit
Instead they are scummy and try to scam people and shit
Last time I got really fucking pissed, they can get mad and tell all they want I'm not giving them anything
>>
>>35217281
It's faster to just kill all the unemployed people so we can automate faster and better
>>
>>35218784
>not realising the goal of automation is zero employment
So kill everybody over time then idiot?
>>
>>35218702
Fascism* is just what America needs right now.
>>
I usually give them something between ten or twenty dollars. I don't buy that much, and I know that money means so much more for them.
>>
>>35218932
No it's not. What's wrong with America is what's been wrong with it from the beginning. Part of this is to do with the oval office and senate. Part of this is an entire country forged and founded by idiots and assholes.
You can't get sick in America without going into debt. That's virtually a tax on health.
>>
if I was homeless I'd appeal to the church for help getting my life back in order. so giving money to the homeless seems like it's useless, these people are hereditary alcoholics and giving them money hurts them.

In Austin the homeless are vile creatures. One guy asked me for money for a coffee, I politely said I couldn't spare any money and he said alright and followed me into a 7-11 telling me he was a veteran and walked up to the pay counter with a coffee trying to force me to pay for him. Another group of beggars asked me for money, I said I couldn't spare any and went into a store to buy some water. When I exited they yelled at me that I lied about not being able to give anything.

I have more respect for those chinks that stand on streetcorners selling bead wristbands for money. At least when you reject them they can accept it because you really only rejected their product. With beggars, money is owed to them because they are down on their luck and society MUST donate with no return in sight.
>>
>>35216166
Don't ever do this. If you want to help donate money to a service that provides aid to the homeless. My aunt worked with homeless outreach programs for 15 years and was the biggest proponent if this mentality. It's sad but a large percentage turn to drugs and alcohol and cash in hand just goes directly to that. If you want to actually help donate money or ask them if they'll have a meal with you.
>>
File: 1476457763610.jpg (68KB, 699x485px) Image search: [Google]
1476457763610.jpg
68KB, 699x485px
>>35216166
I would give money if I was american because the american system fucks poor people in the ass.

I never give where I come from though as in Norway you have to be a criminal to be homeless. And I don't wan to support criminals.
>>
>>35217580
I knew someone who was murdered by a homeless. I was homeless.
Sure some will be grateful and others are deranged monsters in the shape of poor men.
Nice straw man btw comrade.
>>
Have I come to Reddit by mistake?
>>
>>35219280
Ironically it's the homeless that get murdered more often rather than them murdering.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.