[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apparently I'm moving to Ireland or Japan by the end of

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: 1485549865982.jpg (166KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
1485549865982.jpg
166KB, 1600x1064px
Apparently I'm moving to Ireland or Japan by the end of the year. It's my call which. I don't know moonspeak.

Should I go with Ireland?
>>
>>35205860
Irish girls are all fat and gross, Japan is way better.
>>
Only choose Ireland if you really enjoy looking at comfy grasslands constantly.

There's so much more interesting shit in Japan that you'll never get bored and make a ton of great memories.
>>
I'd recommend Japan, it's certainly more interesting than Ireland if you're American, and you'd probably pick up a bit of Japanese if you're actually living there for an extended period
>>
Ireland is super aesthetic and everyone was very friendly with me when I went there. It's also a great gateway to Europe if you want to travel.
>>
>>35205878
Are they fat and gross? The accent is fucking sexy

>>35205896
I do like comfy grasslands, but I think it would get boring. The EU would be fun to explore, but so would east asia.

>>35205908
I feel like I'd have to pick up Japanese, I mean some people probably speak English in Tokyo but I probably will have a tough time navigating without knowing Japanese... It would be a rough start though, and I'd imagine the culture shock would be fairly large.
>>
Japan. The Irish are niggers.
>>
>>35205860
I've been to Japan once as a tourist, and it was neat to visit. But I don't think I would like living there.

Others who have can give you a better and more accurate impression, but to me the entire society (outside your family life) seems very fake. Everything is over-commercialized and obnoxiously pop-culture, anime being mainstream is very real and gets old very quick, and people just aren't as open or receptive as they are in America. Real estate is, of course, much more limited so unless you're coming from San Francisco or New York or something you'll feel a little cramped, and you have much less solitary/tranquil places (like public parks) than in Burgerland. I don't know if you're burger, but I am so that's my experience.

I can't express enough the culture; everything feels like it's marketed to highschoolers. Particularly the women seem to act like teenagers until much later in life than even America. Men are solitary more often, and I don't mean they hang out in all-male groups, I mean being an adult man with no friends is just very common there.

I would go on vacation again, especially after watching Mushishi and Kino no Tabi (I hadn't watched either before the first time) I'd love to go and experience the remote locations. But I wouldn't live there.

Now, Ireland, I can't say as much about. It's one of the few Anglosphere nations I haven't been to, although I have been to England. England, for the most part, seemed to me very much like America with slightly better public transit. I am glad I went to experience the famous architecture and monuments (Stonehenge in particular), but I don't feel any particular need to go again. That said, I wouldn't feel like an alien or an untouchable like I would in Nip, since it's so similar.

If given the chance, I would love to go to Ireland, but having never been I can't say whether I'd want to live there.

What's giving you these two strikingly dissimilar choices of relocation, OP?
>>
Ireland. Although Japan is a very nice country, it is a sacred pleasure, because either you're not Japanese so it will be a bitch to learn the language and you'll never be accepted anyway, or you are and you have to slave away at work or you'll be a disgrace. Unless you can somehow survive as a NEET and not care that you will never fit in.
>>
>>35206110
Thanks for this writeup, man.

I am actually a Burger, and I'm coming from NY so I'm in a very cramped place as it is.

The fake commercialization doesn't actually bother me, but people not being open or receptive would probably get to me really fast... But that's really sad that being an adult male with no friends is common. Are the women really solitary too, into adulthood?

>What's giving you these two strikingly dissimilar choices of relocation, OP?
Relocation for work... they want a new manager for a department in those two offices, and I'm getting my choice in the matter. I know there's the wageslave mentality in Japan, but since this is a branch of a Burger company, and the work culture in the Japan office is apparently very westernized, I would have the benefit of not having to worry about that. Coworkers there all speak English too, it's just that outside of the office I'd be in a tougher position.

>Mushishi and Kino no Tabi
I haven't seen those... but I'll check it out
>>
>>35205860
Japan is definitely better, but if you don't know moon runes you are surely fucked. If you can't learn moon then go with Ireland, it's the only logical choice.
>>
>>35205860
Uhh what situation is promting you to move to two completely different countries?
>>
>>35207076
>Work at at foreign company, getting an American salary

You'd be a fool to not go with Japan. The language is not easy, you would have to study but that would really be the only downside since you're skipping the work life.

I fucking miss living there, but doing software engineering in Japan made very little sense when I could come back to America and basically double my salary while doing less work. But basically everything about quality of life is better in Japan, except once again the horrible work culture.

What city in Japan would it be?
>>
>>35207076
Go to fucking Japan you idiot. Japan is just 100xs more interesting than shitty boring Ireland

t. Dublin fag
>>
>>35207140
Tokyo, most western companies seem to open their "Asia branch" office there. I'm not sure what my salary would be, they'd probably adjust it but if they were to cut it substantially to be "similar" to other salaries in the city, that might be enough for me to decide on Ireland (and it would be Dublin >>35207147 )

How long did you live there?
>>
For how long and why?

I'd take the opportunity to visit a vastly different culture and lifestyle. I had a blast when I was living in Seoul and they're not even that much different from westernized societies.
>>
>>35207187
As far as I know it would be permanent for the duration of my time with the company. They're expanding our department to those offices and need an office manager at them.
>>
>>35207172
I was there 3 years in Tokyo. Everything outside of work was amazing, but it just didn't make sense to stay there permanently, I wanted to do grad school in CS and even the mediocre programs in the US are better than nearly all the programs in Japan. I met CS students that were being taught Fortran.
>>
>>35207076
>getting my choice in the matter.
Again, I'd choose Ireland because if nothing else I speak the native language. If I don't speak the tongue, I generally always believe people are making fun of me whenever they're speaking it around me. I also feel sort of helpless in any urban environment, not being able to read signs or effectively navigate on my own unless I already sort of know what I'm doing.

Of course, that social part (which is the biggest for me) might just be me, since it's clearly rooted in heavy personal insecurities regardless of language. I'm also racist enough that I'd feel weird in a land where virtually everyone is monoracial and I'm a distinct outsider. I mean shit, even in Burger I don't like being in areas or workplaces where most workers are ESL and speaking Spanish all day (I'm not fluent). Even if my workplace was like that, I feel like it'd wear pretty heavily on me that the entire world outside my office spoke a foreign tongue I didn't understand.
>>
>>35205860
Unless you know Japanese, go to Ireland. You will stick out like less of a sore thumb there.
>>
I'd pick Japan. Tokyo is a fun and interesting city, but exploring the Japanese countryside is something I'll never forget.

You could also visit other parts of East and Southeast Asia, which I found much more fun than bumbling around Europe.
>>
>>35205860
>Apparently I'm moving to Ireland or Japan by the end of the year. It's my call which. I don't know moonspeak.

Japan is a huge, interesting country to be in

I would choose Japan

what do you mean by "apparently"?
>>
>>35207279
>Im a racist that doesn't want to get along with people that don't look like me and don't talk exactly like me

Stay in America, even the Irish won't want you
>>
>>35205860
japan for qts
>>
>>35207312
Well, it was offered to me, but I could turn it down. I don't want to turn it down, so it's still sinking in that I'll be moving. So, no apparently about it, I guess.

>>35207293
Exploring the countryside, did you rent a car? Or did you have one? How is produce and groceries in Tokyo?
>>
File: 1459669248620.jpg (114KB, 480x586px) Image search: [Google]
1459669248620.jpg
114KB, 480x586px
>>35207443
>Well, it was offered to me, but I could turn it down.

Can I ask what company you work for anon?

or what industry?

make sure you find a qtpi gf while in nippon
>>
>>35205860
>or

what the fuck circumstances have you gotten yourself into where you're possibly headed to two of the most opposite countries ever?

Both Ireland and Japan have that "it's only fun if you're a tourist" downside to them, but it's especially more true for Ireland.

Japan has loads of variety in its climate and ways of life and customs.

Ireland is just Ireland.

Do you enjoy grey skies year round, rolling hills of nothing during the summer, and rolling hills of snowed-in nothing during the winter? Then Ireland's for you.
>>
If you're going to go, then go to Japan. If you have the rest of the year then you've got time to study the language a bit so you won't be completely lost.
>>
>>35207478
Amazon desu. I'd like to find a qtpigf

>>35207651
See >>35207076
>Relocation for work... they want a new manager for a department in those two offices, and I'm getting my choice in the matter. I know there's the wageslave mentality in Japan, but since this is a branch of a Burger company, and the work culture in the Japan office is apparently very westernized, I would have the benefit of not having to worry about that. Coworkers there all speak English too, it's just that outside of the office I'd be in a tougher position.

>Both Ireland and Japan have that "it's only fun if you're a tourist" downside to them, but it's especially more true for Ireland.
I was afraid of that. Plus Irish food is boring as fuck. Gorgeous countryside, but I think Japan's countryside would be gorgeous too.

>Do you enjoy grey skies year round
Yeah not really...

>rolling hills of nothing during the summer
Sounds comfy....

>rolling hills of snowed-in nothing during the winter?
Ehhhh. This is showing my burgertrash education, I didn't know it snowed in Ireland. Doesn't sound that nice.

>Then Ireland's for you.
Hmm.

>>35207715
I'm honestly leaning towards it. Ireland feels like it wouldn't be too exciting. Any ideas where to get started with the language? Is Rosetta Stone a meme? Should I use websites, apps, or something else?
>>
>>35207767
>Any ideas where to get started with the language?
the Japanese language threads on /int/ or /jp/ have a good list of materials you could use

also bookzz.org search for genki

genki is the most popular text people use for beginning japanese

for kana just download some app and learn them it shouldn't take you more than like a day
>>
>>35207332
>I want to fit in, at least in a few ways (since I am too autismo sperglord to fit in normally)
>this is rayciss
Let me guess, you supported Bernie Sanders.

Look, I'm fairly well traveled and I've talked to enough other travelers and read enough accounts to know that you can easily fit in when visiting a foreign land -- IF you are at least moderately outgoing and attractive (male or female.) An ugly sperg might be accepted in a few niches in his own culture, but I'll never be accepted in a land as foreign to me as Japan.

The language is the biggest barrier, of course, the racial thing just underscores the language barrier every day. And yes, I could learn another language, but frankly I'm almost 30 (inb4 some High Wizard jumps in and calls me a fag) and I just don't care enough about other people to do that.

But yes, let's just simplify that to "racist" if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy as you watch Last Week Tonight and jack off to pictures of Michelle Obama.
>>
>>35207893
You sound like such a boring cynical fuck.

>WAAHHH too lazy to make some effort in learning a language

>WAAAAHHHHH I dont look like them so im going to be treated differently

>Abloo bloo bloooooo libcuck lol

Just stay in your shitty town then because you're not going to like visiting any new place, even if they are culturally similar to America. Why even bother making this thread if you're against being open?
>>
>>35207767
>Gorgeous countryside, but I think Japan's countryside would be gorgeous too.
In all honesty, and to be fair I'm the anon who's never been to Ireland so I'm really just going off travel blogs and articles here) I think Japan's natural beauty is the winner in that regard. Some of the forests and historical sites blow away any Anglo architecture imho. Similar to Hawaii, Japan just has those coastal island mountains which seem to develop so beautifully.

And of course, I would absolutely love to visit the Suicide Forest, although it's likely that after a year living there fulltime as an expat autist who doesn't speak the tongue, I'd probably take advantage of its purpose while I was there.
>>
>>35207977
>Why even bother making this thread
why do you think I'm the OP? suck my dick, faggot.
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>35207977
Whoa hey, I'm OP, that isn't. I don't want to get mixed up in this spat at all. I have no idea how easy or hard it'll be for me to fit in or be accepted in Japan, but I'm not opposed to the challenge. I wouldn't be considering this if I were.

>>35207978
I feel similarly-going off photos of Ireland, it's really, really, pretty, but there isn't a lot of variety. There are castles, which would be fucking sick to see, but that's kinda about it. it would be pretty calm and boring, which isn't bad, but i think I would get bored.

>I think Japan's natural beauty is the winner in that regard. Some of the forests and historical sites blow away any Anglo architecture imho.
Comparing the two purely from photographs, I'd have to agree.

I was just walking around the streets of both in Google Street View, and while that doesn't give the same effect as being there, I think it gives me an idea of what both are like. Ireland felt very.. UK. The buildings were clean and had an old style, but because all the buildings were complete side by side with no gapes, all the same height, and rose up on either side of the street, it felt very confining.

Tokyo was disorganized as fuck, with every building a different size and shape, but it left lots of gaps. The roads were also a lot more curvy and overall messy. It actually felt pretty comfy as a result though. Even though the streets were more narrow, the variation in the buildings made it feel more open, which was interesting.
>>
>>35208133
>Tokyo
I honestly didn't like the city very much, but then again I'm a heavy /out/ist. If you're into cities and population density, you might. To some degree any city is a city, but it was a very different feel from any Western city I've been to.
>>
>>35208133
Japan is more of a like it or absolutely despise it place

In Ireland it is more monotonous and you probably won't have too strong of an opinion about the country

What is your job OP?
>>
>>35205860
ive always wanted to go to ireland for some reason, seems nice if you like peace. also you dont need to learn a new language and their accents are sik af
>>
>>35208133
>Tokyo was disorganized as fuck, with every building a different size and shape, but it left lots of gaps. The roads were also a lot more curvy and overall messy. It actually felt pretty comfy as a result though. Even though the streets were more narrow, the variation in the buildings made it feel more open, which was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGbC5j4pG9w

This video gives a little background on Japan's zoning laws, which explains why every building that you saw was a different size and shape

The streets are very narrow, and realize that this causes traffic in Japan to be MUCH slower than traffic elsewhere - be aware of this, it's a big cultural change. traffic is just slower pretty much everywhere in japan
>>
>>35208405
I'm a mixture. I'm a bit of an /out/ist but I also do like cities a lot. If I can escape the city and go out to the countryside, at least on occasion (maybe once every few weeks) I'd be happy. I think both Tokyo and Dublin would easily offer me that.

>>35208461
Ireland/Dublin does seem much more monotonous, peaceful (like >>35208524 said). In what way is Japan a like it or despise it kind of place? (I want to try to gauge if I'd like or despise it).

>What is your job OP?
I work for Amazon!

>>35208606
Just started watching this. This should be an interesting watch. I know the narrow streets would definitely reduce traffic speed-- I guess that's a good question, is Tokyo a place where I'd want to buy a car? I know how to drive but I've lived in NY for a few years now and haven't needed a car, I wasn't sure if Tokyo would be the same or if I'd want one. This video looks like there are a lot of cars, though the video said you don't need a car in Edogawa. I'd be working in Minato ward, which seems to have a lower population density.

I'm ok with slower traffic. I've lived in cities with fast traffic, and I've lived in cities with slow traffic (NY), slow traffic is fine with me.
>>
>>35205860
It really depends on how long you're gonna be there. I'm from Toronto and have worked in Japan before and have visited UK (Scotland not Ireland.)

If you're not going to be there more than a year or two 100% Japan. When I was there I was doing a job where I was pretty managed and always with someone who spoke english which made it easier. You can always find a hostel if you're in a city where tourists will be who will be happy to find other westerners. People in Japan were very formal and theres a whole lot of social things to learn but they also love white people even though it's kind of like a novelty. People will always be friendly and getting female attention will be very easy if you're at least reasonably attractive. I was on a 6 month contract there and would love to go back again but I don't think I would want to live there for longer than a year. The culture was so different it felt like being in a fantasy book, even though I was enjoying myself I missed the familiarity of home.

As for Europe it's basically like any liberal part of NA with better dairy products.
>>
>>35208925
>As for Europe it's basically like any liberal part of NA with better dairy products.
I feel like fruits and vegetables are probably not too great in a place like Ireland, but how are they in Japan?

Interesting perspective, I can see it being like a fantasy book, and I can see that getting old.

>they also love white people even though it's kind of like a novelty
Can you elaborate on this a bit? That's kind of a concern of mine, not being taken seriously besides being the "white person" in the room.
>>
>>35208925
>As for Europe it's basically like any liberal part of NA with better dairy products.

this is my exact experience of being in Europe

unless you go to South Italy or something all of Europe is pretty much the same
>>
>>35208969
See, that definitely makes Ireland seem like a safer option... but not exactly more interesting. Tokyo is a bigger gamble but it would definitely be a more interesting experience.
>>
>>35208961
Vegetables and fruit in Japan are good but be prepared to pay A LOT for them. Extreme case is watermelon can be $60usd but if you're adventurous with food theres a lot of awesome local food. Also theres a really big beer and whiskey culture that's developed there recently.

The best way to describe it is it's sort of a fetish. Like girls will be all over you because you're white or guys will want to drink with you because you're white. I had a lot of people approach me in bars and buy me drinks to try and get the white guy drunk or practice their english. If you can learn some simple Japanese phrases greetings and manners it will take a long way into being respected. Basically if you come across not like a tourist you'll be treated with more respect.
>>
File: 1463439645092.jpg (95KB, 576x548px) Image search: [Google]
1463439645092.jpg
95KB, 576x548px
>>35205860
>Apparently I'm moving to Ireland or Japan by the end of the year. It's my call which. I don't know moonspeak.
bump for Japan

good luck
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.