[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>play piano >arms hurt afterwards

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (69KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 368x368px
>play piano
>arms hurt afterwards
>>
>>35177990
I've never had that but my shoulder blades start hurting from sitting upright after about two hours.
>>
>>35178316
I really should go to a doctor, my joints are fucked
>>
>have no talents
>can't play piano (or any other instrument)
>>
>>35178457
please, you only need talent if you freestyle it. everything else is just practice upon practice.
>>
>>35178444
Hope you have better luck then me. I told my doc about my pain and he printed off a wikihow page on how to stretch my back. Fucking clown, never went back. Nice trips btw.

>>35178457
You probably could lean an instrument, it just takes time. The first instrument is the hardest, once you've learned one the others come easily. I recommend you start with something that can only play one note at once. Also helps if you can find a group of similar skill to play with, but I'm assuming you aren't in grade school anymore so that isn't an option, you might have to wait until you're decent before you can play in a community/college band.
>>
Ibuprofen often helps similar stuff
>>
>>35178457
Piano is easy to pick up but if you don't play like 8 hours every day for 10 years you will never get really good
>>
>play saxophone
>have to crack thumbs afterward from playing so long
>>
It tends to be that I feel the need to keep moving my fingers, even after I have stopped playing.
>>
>>35177990
Where specifically?
If it is your underarms, then it is because you are relying too much on bending your middle finger joint when playing, "clawing" at the keys. Try move your finger from the innermost finger joint (from the palm) and extend your finger into the key.
To differentiate the muscles in the hand from the arm, try the following: Fill a water bottle. Sit down and have a friend hold the bottle up for you. Grip it with one hand with your palm, wrapping your fingers around the bottle without tensing them too much. Now hold on to the bottle while your friend moves the bottle around in unpredictable directions, and focus on not controlling the direction yourself. This means to keep tension in your palm while relaxing the muscles of your arm.
>>35178316
Where are your sitting bones when playing? Sit on your hands for a moment. Lean forward. Lean backwards. Can you feel two sitting bones protruding, one beneath each buttock? Can you feel how when you lean forward, the sitting bones point backwards, and if you lean backwards, the sitting bones point forward?
Now direct your point of gravity in front of the seat bones. Observe your spine, shoulders and neck.
Then direct your point of gravity behind the seat bones. What happens to your spine, shoulders and neck?
Assert your point of gravity slightly in front of your sitting bones to align your weight distribution more vertically. This should clean most issues. Next level would be to reach into your stabilizing muscles for the shoulder blades; m. serrates anterior. More on that later.
t. combined piano & physiology fag
>>
>>35177990
good for you anon
no pain, no gain
oregano
>>
>>35179322
My problem is that I put too much force and tense my arms when learning new pieces because its a habit and it used to make me remember the pieces faster
>>
>>35179322
My elbows and wrists hurt too
fugg
>>
>>35178457
Buy yourself a synthesizer with a step sequencer. Easy as shit and will teach you music along the way, after that just start dickin around with notes on a keyboard, drench in reverb and delay, throw in some drum tracks, make sure its not muddy shit. Bam. Your a musician now.
>>
>>35178629
guess what also helps? Not playing.
There is good advice and there is bad advice. Listen to pain; it is the body's only language for telling you to stop hurting your body.
>>35179460
>>35179482
Try the bottle thing. After doing it with one arm, let both arms hang relaxed by your sides and close your eyes, focusing on the sensations in your arms. How do they compare?
Teachers will nag at you to "relax more". That is as foolish advice as "just be yourself" regarding dating and making friends. To play an instrument is a physical activity on pair with athletics, and must be approached with the same physical finesse. Some muscles should relax, but some muscles must tense, and the skeleton should be properly aligned for the most relaxed carrying of weight.
>>
File: 1484609227376.jpg (35KB, 410x424px) Image search: [Google]
1484609227376.jpg
35KB, 410x424px
>Using drawing tablet on computer
>Entire arm starts to hurt
>Back starts to hurt
>Headache begins and I start seeing blurry again
>Drawing ends up looking bad
Why does this need to happen everytime?
>>
>>35179970
same principles apply to you. See above:
>>35179322
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.