[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

unemployed engineering graduates

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 15

File: 1486856146195.jpg (42KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1486856146195.jpg
42KB, 640x640px
I keep coming across posts on r9k of people who graduated with an engineering degree(usually electrical) and are unemployed/underemployed.
SO I'm not sure if I'm just running into the same person over and over or if this is a legitimate problem and getting an engineering degree would be a mistake.
SO making a thread to see just how many people have this problem.
>>
>>35142352
You'll have to compete with pajeets who are willing to work for less than fourth of your salary.

Too bad Trump can't ban cheap foreign labor.
>>
So you heard about STEM meme ? SO DID EVERYONE ELSE AND THEIR GOD DAMN MOTHER

today degrees have become high school diploma.

If you go to a mediocre college, have shitty grades and have no connections, you can very easily be unemployed with engineering degrees.

Not to mention, countries like US get a lotta foreign students who ready to work their asses off. This is employers' time in 2017.
>>
EE graduate here
Waste of time for a useless piece of paper
Would have been better if I went to work straight out of high school
>>
File: tumblr_o841p6qJxf1qa9gmgo5_1280.jpg (185KB, 1280x692px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o841p6qJxf1qa9gmgo5_1280.jpg
185KB, 1280x692px
>>35142575
What percentile did you graduate in?
>>
>>35142875
I don't fucking know , I get the feeling you don't get shit unless you are in the top 5 percent which I probably wasn't .
It's curious how they don't mention this in the intro engineering class where they just show you slides of how much you will make entry level and drone on how many opportunities taking this major opens up.
>>
>>35142429
I'm just saying the long term solution to this is if the standard of living rises in these countries rises to our level,
their engineers dont have to undersell
and the whole of humanity advances faster
its a win win situation, it just takes time and patience.
>>
>>35142923
their paychecks do depend on people actually taking engineering courses so they were just watching out for themselves. Everyone wants their cut anon, even they have to step over other people to get it.
>>
>>35142507
when is it going to be our time?
>>
chemE grad here
got a job in pharma, making 80k a year, and have 100k in the bank
should have picked a good engineering major and not a meme one like EE
>>
>>35143734
>job in pharma
IRC pfizer outsourced almost the entirety of its r&d department to india,
its not as if whomever you work for is not going to do that the first opportunity it gets.
>>
>>35143715
Sadly it won't. With technology and globalization, scarcity of capital and abundance of labor force...It will never be like 1950's America.

That's why a lotta world leaders is preaching "universal income". because increasing unemployment will lead to civil unrest unless riches do something about it. When the wide spread protests and civil unrests increase they will introduce universal income.

Even then, it wont be a decent income. Just enough money to make you not riot.
>>
>>35143806
there sort of an irl example of this though
an indian reservation where everyone gets federal money and no one has any incentive to work or doing anything.
>>
>>35143806
is this something we should be fighting?
>>
File: 1481826796918.jpg (8KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
1481826796918.jpg
8KB, 250x232px
>>35143734
tfw chem engies in my country make 2400 while software engineers make 24k
>>
>>35143844
doesn't matter if we fight it or not. we're not capable of changing it.

I just kinda regret that we're born this this shitty time when there are no wide spread neetbux but not enough good jobs as well. Would rather be born in 2100s where not working is pretty much normal thing.

Even today, only half of the US adult population have full time jobs.

>>35143849
same here too, CS is more lucrative than ChemE.
>>
>>35143913
>doesn't matter if we fight it or not. we're not capable of changing it.
you'll never know for sure unless you at least tried
>>
>>35143935
yea, we are not the good men in this situation tho. we're bunch of tosser wagecucks and NEETs
>>
>>35142955
That'll never happen. All organisms outbreed their resources and the excess organisms become fodder for others.

All human civilizations try to accumulate as many resources as possible so there will never be an equal distribution or standard of living anyway.
>>
>>35144057
>All organisms outbreed their resources
the fact that birth rates plummet as standard of living rises sort of disproves this ,
hell japan and some nordic countries actually have population decline.
>>
>>35143959
I'm just saying we should start organizing ourselves together and use the excess brainpower that companies refuse to use for something,
>>
>>35142352
EE is boring on its own, at least do ECE.

There is no reason to do EE by itself when ECE and CE are available.
>>
>>35144099
I did an EE degree with CE technical electives,
my local university did not have a abett approved CE program so this is what I had to do.
>>
ITT: countdown until circle jerk
>>
>>35144099
ECE major here with CE focus,

Only a sophomore but not a single company has wanted me for an internship and I've applied quite literally to over 100 companies. Of those companies, only 4 wanted an interview. Of those interviews, ZERO gave me a callback
>>
>>35144189
I sent out 279 resumes out after I graduated, not a single call back,
the only interview I got was one arranged by my uni,
group interview where I was the only prospective employee that showed up
stilldidn't get a call back from them.
>>
>>35144150
>ITT: countdown until circle jerk
what circle jerk?
>>
>>35144189
And once you graduate with no internship you are screwed
>>
>>35145162
That's why im going to grad school
>>
>>35145215
Still need experience
>>
>>35142352
only do engineering if you have the mind for it. You can't be some video game playing, 4chan browsing, know nothing loser like I was. You can try and chase that dream, but if you don't have the mind for it then don't go for it. I'm only now just getting my life together with a shitty IT job, that pays like crap, but let me tell you, I'm glad I'm not doing a fuckton of programming or math for the rest of my life.
>>
>>35145652
>math
Yeah you don't use that much as an engineering
Most of the math is handled by software
>>
I am a nurse. I got a job straight out of nursing school (RN)working in a psych unit making $25/hr then I got sick of working night shifts so I jumped into a job making $17/hr for a few months and then now I have been working for the government for $32 an hour but it is still not enough to be comfortable (one of the most expensive cities in the US). I applied and interviewed for a position which pays $37 an hour.

I never worked in the hospitals which makes me less marketable. But I just wanted to work after graduating and hospital jobs are competitive to get into.

I contemplate moving to a high demand area, like North Dakota or something and spending a year getting hospital experience. But I don't want to live alone in a crappy rural area and not have family support and work night shifts. I work days and get holidays off so I am happy where I am.

I don't know what to do. I also think about NP school but I don't want to do direct patient care forever, I want something more exciting and cerebral so PhD is what I want but my salary wouldn't go up that much with a PhD.
>>
>>35144099
I'm an EE grad student in electromagnetics
Fight me you piece of shit
>>
>>35142352
>lots of people getting same degree
>"for some reason people with this degree aren't getting jobs"
Really makes you think doesn't it?

>>35145162
A good friend of mine in ECE is about to graduate with no internships. I'm worried for him.

>>35146239
I'd try the NP if I could. They make mad money.
>>
>>35146239
>one of the most expensive citie
why not move somewhere else.
>>
I did an apprenticship in engineering and got a degree from it as well. Never had a problem with getting work ever.
>>
i'm studying mech engineering but i'm way behind my studies, should i just off myself? i should have graduated two years ago, maybe if i get lucky i graduate next year
>>
>>35146408
>i'm studying mech engineering but i'm way behind my studies, should i just off myself?
I remember being in the same position,
wanted to drop out, told to just tought it out,
did and managed to graduate,
should have just dropped out.
>>
>>35146441
how's life for you now?
>>
>>35146441
like, do you have a job in your field?
>>
>>35146389
Because I live w my parents and save 70% of what I make.
>>
ME grad here. After i graduated i went unemployed for almost two years. I'm now an emgineering technician at a large company. I make 20/hr and usually work at least 50 hours per week. What I'm aiming for is getting a manufacturing engineer position at this company, and i think I'm in the right track.

I got off to a slow start once i graduated, which i mainly attribute to having no coop or internship experience during school and generally low ambition (getting better at that). Things are looking better for me now though.
>>
>>35146657
Well surely you aren't going to do that forever.

>>35146676
>I make 20/hr and usually work at least 50 hours per week
That'd be like 40-45K if it was 40 hours a week. I sincerely hope you aren't salaried and get paid for all that overtime.
>>
>>35146676
did you graduate in time?
>>
>>35142352
>Fell for the S in STEM
>Only a bachelors
>Make $14.50/hr

I don't know what to do, my current job is fucking terrible and I hate it. I found a job that aligned perfectly with research I did in undergrad and it only requires 1 - 2 years of experience (I did 2 years of research), but I can't think of a cover letter to write and it's in a different state, so that makes it tougher.
>>
>>35146526
I don't like it
>>35146599
not really no, I clean plastic parts in a factory,
disassemble unit, soak parts in alcohol, scrub parts with brush, wipe with disinfectant, dry and reassemble unit, basically a job a highschool dropout could do.
>>
>>35146676
>emgineering technician
are you actual engineering work?
is there a clear path for advancement?
>>
>>35146704
Yeah but in 10 years I can buy a 1-bedroom condo cash or if I get married I will come in with over $100k in the bank (and I don't want an expensive wedding at all)
>>
>>35146783
>disassemble unit, soak parts in alcohol, scrub parts with brush, wipe with disinfectant, dry and reassemble unit, basically a job a highschool dropout could do.
Did it require a Bachelors? Are you American?
>>
>>35146909
>Did it require a Bachelors?
no it did not require a Bachelors,this was just the only job I could find ,
United States,Texas.
>>
>>35147002
Damn, that's sad. How many mechE related jobs did you apply to?
>>
Got a BS in ECE at a top five school. Can't think of a single ECE friend who didn't get a job out the door, most were ~70k
>>
Would like to finish an EE degree cuz autistic, but will most likely go for GenE.

>>35146760
Good luck, anon

>>35146676
All of the graduated Engineers I've spoken with have said that networking/internships are very important. Hopefully by the time that comes I'll be less socially anxious.
>>
>>35142507
>If you go to a mediocre college, have shitty grades and have no connections, you can very easily be unemployed with engineering degrees.
this is me. i'm unemployable now.
>>
>>35148016
what was your concentration?
>>
>>35143090
this happened to me when i was helping prospective hs students visiting the campus. i got removed from the program because i wasnt good at "selling" them on it.

>>35148059
bme
>>
I graduated with a ECE degree and couldn't find a job for two years. Took a shitty software QA job and managers like me. Now I make about 22 hour. It still sucks. Didn't graduate in time because I kept switching majors.
>>
File: cucktus.jpg (248KB, 2048x1378px) Image search: [Google]
cucktus.jpg
248KB, 2048x1378px
This thread is so depressing. Any CS robots that made it without internships?
>>
>>35148511

Yep; my first job was doing night shift break/fix coding; people would find bugs in the custom software the company used during the day, and I'd have to have them fixed by morning.

Some nights were a flurry of change requests, others I could relax and do whatever I wanted. Long weekends every weekend, and very good pay with the nightshift bonus.

Plus, it looked good enough on my resume to allow me to move on to a far better job when I wanted to; employers really liked that I could produce quickly under extreme pressure.
>>
File: 7nPIzZg.jpg (22KB, 375x305px) Image search: [Google]
7nPIzZg.jpg
22KB, 375x305px
>>35148511
I became a garbage man
>>
Whatever your subject, having a degree is a bare minimum and is no guarantee of a job. Networking is everything. Employers don't expect you all the technical aspects of the job, but you will be judged on the type of person you are and how well you integrate into their team. You need to be able to spin your "achievements" into proof of your personal qualities, such as being reliable, calm under pressure, capable of leading and working as part of a team etc.

Even if you're the world's most brilliant engineer (which no-one here is) no-one will hire you if you're an anti-social spergazoid.
>>
>>35148998
not in western society,
from what I hear they have a program in I think Russia where they try to utilize the potential brain power of autistic people.
>>
>>35148090
how does one get into that?
I want to warn a bunch of kids and then get fired.
>>
>>35148995
That's an interesting progression. How bearable/enjoyable is it for what you get payed? Do you have a fixed role or does everyone rotate between driving and hauling? Do you only work in the early morning, giving you the rest of the day to do what ever you want? Do you still do any programming on the side to broaden your skillset and getting back into the CS industry one day, or have you closed that chapter?
>>
>>35148090
I'm going into a biomed engineering but mostly likely will still get an ME tell me about it anon I'm transferring upstate to a university to finish my degree.
>>
>>35142352
I haven't graduated yet, but my in my country having a degree means almost nothing.

>If you go to a mediocre college, have shitty grades and have no connections, you can very easily be unemployed with engineering degrees.
This.

However fucking up with an EE degree is quite an accomplishment. Unless it's an associates or a batchelors and the holder is legitimately autistic.
>>
>>35142352
I think it would be very easy to find a job with my degree when I graduate
>>
yep. did ME here. popular culture has a real warped idea of the opportunities an eng. degree gets you. if you look up the numbers, there are (depending on the kind of eng.) around 2.3 more graduates than there are job openings. and accordingly only about 40% of engineering grads actually work in engineering at all. you ever hear about there being too many law school graduates? well for them the ratio is, if I can recall, something like 1.8 and still going down, while for us it's going up.

if you are smart (or lucky) you can still get in of course. that means either going to a very good school, being the top of your class, studying a very niche specialty, but most of all, having industry connections. if you don't have any of these, you will probably end up like the rest of us, needing to learn code or some IT shit and hope you can get into a software or networking job. forget about even being a CAD monkey, pajeet has dibs on that.

and if you haven't figured it out already, the myth of a 'STEM shortage' was perpetuated by certain companies in congress to get more H-1B workers and increase 'STEM' enrollment at the same time. what a fucking deal they got.
>>
>>35149583
I bought a gun not for home defense but for whenever I decide to shed my mortal coil I have the choice to do it.
>>
>>35150375
What kind of gun?
>>
>>35148090
got any side projects you are doing?
>>
>>35150448
a dick gun
>>
File: jupiter blush.png (357KB, 639x639px) Image search: [Google]
jupiter blush.png
357KB, 639x639px
>>35142352
so is no one going to comment that this is basically an upskirt of jupiter?
>>
>>35151562
So you're going to poz yourself when you want to die?
>>
>>35150268
>end up like the rest of us, needing to learn code or some IT shit and hope you can get into a software or networking job.
welp thats what im doing ...
>>
File: fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.png (13KB, 532x210px) Image search: [Google]
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.png
13KB, 532x210px
>>35150077
>However fucking up with an EE degree is quite an accomplishment.
theres no fucking jobs in electrical engineering you giblet head
>>
>>35146704
Yeah i get OT

>>35146751
I graduated a semester late.

>>35146823
Sort of. It's mostly just an assembly job but I also interact with the MFEs quite a bit and my input is carries weight.

>>35147243
Yes its extremely important. Employers value work experience more than gpa.
>>
>>35152819
>MFEs
what is it is that?
>>
>>35152406
>>35152406
weird, they have almost full employment graduating in my school's program
i did chemE and we're worse off then they are but i still managed to land multiple offers
>>
>tfw soon to be ECE grad with no job

At my school, all the companies that do recruiting are either in power or software engineering, both of which I have zero interest in, I guess because that's all that's in the area. Any companies I've applied to online for electronics haven't called me back. And I did a co-op.
>>
>>35153218
yeah im going to take statistics from a government body over anecdote from some anon on r9k.
>>
>>35153293
yep, I'm a CE grad too. I should have just become a CS major. I haven't met a single other CE grad who actually got hired in a hardware or electronics company.
>>
>>35153293
when i went to the career fares all the companies there did was tell me to apply online, I don't understand what was the point of them being there.
>>
>>35142352
This was almost me.

Chemical engineering degree. 3.7 GPA and a good internship. Applied to over 200 private companies and no offers.

I work for the government now. I make $66k working 4 days per week. It's pretty good actually.
>>
>>35153363
Sounds right. On the plus side though, if they say that and you tell them you already have, you're like 5 steps ahead. Plus you can skip the whole "Let me tell you who we are and what we're about for 10 minutes!" routine.
>>
not unemployed. I'm a bartender. I don't even get good tips. still have $40k in debt to pay off. hahaha fucking kill me.
>>
>>35153312
maybe your school sucks? mine definitely sucked, but all the companies at the career fairs hire electrical
for what it's worth, rather than become a process engineer i decided to move in on civil engineers at a midsize engineering company since it fast tracks you to project manager
>did you do research?
>any engineering society management?
>did you attend info sessions to help you prepare for the job of find a job
>have you had any jobs that you can make up responsibilities for?
>are you likable?
>have you practiced and memorized shooting off answers to commonly asked questions?
>does your resume make you look capable
>does your cover letter seem personable and targeted to each company, and why you would add value to the company 5, 10 years from now
having said that one of the hardest working, capable guys (masters grad this year) i've ever met is middle eastern and can't land interviews to save his life
he's confident but is hardened from the middle east and speaks with a slight accent and i think people just don't find him likable even though he would
destroy anything asked of him
>>35153363
>>35153363
jesus christ you clown, they post the companies that attend for a reason
so you can apply to a job and talk to them about the position you're interest in
the "apply online" bit is to get you to fuck off so they can talk to people that are actually prepared
they're not supposed to tell you about themselves, you're supposed to show up and sell yourself
and why you would be a great fit for the positions they are hiring for
>a 10 minute routine of them telling you who they are is just the guys that are too polite to tell you to fuck off
>have targeted questions regarding the position and career you're looking to land so they know you're not clueless
>>
>>35153957
forgot to add
>have you passed the FE?
>>
>>35153957
>maybe your school sucks?
maybe you're a fucking liar,
I'm sorry but the U.S. Department of Labor is just going to hold more weight than whatever bullshit you're peddling.
>>
>>35154136
electrical engineers get hired all the time, wish you could be one of them
preparation gets you 80% of the way there
maybe learn to program by starting a project with all your free time
>>
File: 2ab.gif (60KB, 466x367px) Image search: [Google]
2ab.gif
60KB, 466x367px
>>35142352
This is going to sound really sadistic of me, and I'm honestly probably just an asshole, but I'm happy to read that engineering students don't have the easy life they try to lead others to believe.

They want you to think it's hard, expensive, and pays really well, which it probably does. They want you to think that if you have the brains for it, engineering is easy street to getting more money.

I'm not the most math-savvy person out there but if I really cared about money that much I'm sure I could major in something like this. It would just take time and money, I have no doubts if I cared I could actually do it. But I don't think I care.

I'm majoring in 3D animation and modelling, and while it's not a lucrative career per se, it's something I enjoy doing and the money is decent enough to the point where I can live comfortably which is all I really care about. I have friends doing STEM majors and they all brag about stuff they're doing or planning on doing whenever I'm around them. It makes me worried that I might be on the wrong path. I'm doing what I'm doing because it's fun, and there actually is decent money in it unlike being something like, say, a person that just does 2D commissions on deviantart.

Seeing people like that facing difficulties at least gives me hope that I might be on the same level as these other people. I know some code but I don't know shit about real engineering outside of geometry stuff in Maya and other 3D programs, feel free to correct me if I fucked something up.
>>
>>35143806
Stalin never had these problems with riots
>>
>>35154692
>Stalin never had these problems with riots
he didn't install a super supressive totalitarian government for shits in giggles anon.
>>
>>35153218
>weird, they have almost full employment graduating in my school's program
I don't know about your school but mine padded those numbers by counting people taking service jobs to make ends meet or staying at the job they were going to while they were at school.
>>
>>35154603
you're good, i know a lot of people that graduated in chemE with a bachelor's and worked as waiters for a while, one guy is still working construction
hate that guy actually, always said he wasn't getting hired because he's not a cute girl, minority or some other shit,
sounds and looks like a redneck with shit gpa, probably has a shitty resume and doesn't write cover letters
a lot of people start successful careers though too, it helps to be a tall, good looking try hard faggot, but i've seen complete clowns get hired at intel for 70k
what i'm saying is all sorts of people struggle
also, most people have unrealistic expectations of starting salary unless you're going into petroleum with a decent background in processing/controls and can prove you're handy and a good fit, definitely seen people start over six figures but that career path isn't for everyone
heard a lot of laborers give a lot of shit to engineers, to the point an asian controls engineer i know got bullied out of the industry

good luck guys, i'm attending the graduate career fair tomorrow even though i've landed a position already and i've only got a bachelor's and need to prep
>mostly indians and arabs show up
>recruiters are sort of racist
>>
>>35154889
yeah mine did too i'm sure, especially their chemE numbers, but i'm mostly speaking of people i know through various networks
so yeah anecdotal and probably skewed towards people that are better candidates
>>
>>35142352

You are doing it wrong.

Engineers are supposed to start new companies.

You know how to do stuff, just get a bunch of engineering buddies together, get a lawyer, an accountant, then draft a proposal and start calling every bank and investment company in the country until someone finances it.
>>
File: negative fucking job growdth.png (3KB, 526x46px) Image search: [Google]
negative fucking job growdth.png
3KB, 526x46px
>>35154241
>wish you could be one of them
and I wish you wouldn't push these bullshit lies that don't aligned with what the facts actually show
>>
>>35154927
how come we aren't the white master race anymore. I'm 99% for equal rights, but that small unspoken part of me still wants straight up privilege over anyone that's a different color than me.
>>
>>35155280
because you're lazy, i'm pretty sure
>>
>>35155275
okay sure, you're in a helpless situation
you have my permission to rot
>best wishes tho
>>
>>35155280
>>35154927
according to some studies engineers have a tendency to have a predisposition toward right wing ideals.
>>
>>35155633
Did the studies control for gender? Otherwise I would assume it just boils down to engineering being dominated by men.
>>
>>35155701
>>35155701
Did the studies control for gender?
the group studied that is disproportionately represented by engineers, tends to be full of men anyway so in a way it does,
heres the article that reference the study
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/magazine/12FOB-IdeaLab-t.html
>>
File: 253946.jpg (120KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
253946.jpg
120KB, 1024x768px
>>35148995
why not become a garbage man
IN SPACE
>>
>>35155007
enginerrs dont have business acumen,
>>
>>35154927
if you already landed a position why are you going to a fare?
>>
File: Ranma7-620x.jpg (25KB, 620x463px) Image search: [Google]
Ranma7-620x.jpg
25KB, 620x463px
>>35154241
>electrical engineers get hired all the time
in the US? nope
manufacturing is leaving the country and taking those jobs with them.
>>
>>35143806
Universal income isn't happening. 90% of humans will just be killed off in a mass genocide, orchestrated by the elite.
>>
>>35156707
do you really think they would win a war against 90% of humanity?
>>
>>35156563
to weight my options, to make connections for tuesday's general engineering fair
couldn't hurt and this last semester is a fucking joke
>>
>>35156707
How are they going to kill off 90% of humanity? You think that soldiers are going to kill their family and friends just because the rich told them to?
You think the rich are gonna strap on their boots and kill people themselves?

They sure as hell aren't going to bomb their own land. This is retarded. Canada is already phasing in Basic Income for those who make under ~18k anyway. It's happening.
>>
>>35156726
>What is divide and conquer?
Why do you think feminism exists?
>>
i work in my dads company.
>>
>>35156813
>Why do you think feminism exists?
whiny women on their periods with too much time on their hands
>>
i graduated with a bs in csci with a 2.6gpa and had a job offer in minnesota for about 70k, 7 months before graduating with no real projects on resume and no coding work experience
>>
>>35156867
Feminists and other SJWs are useful idiots to the global elites.
>>
>>35156959
sugoi story tinfoil-san
>>
>>35156726
>>35156798
The last 16 years have proven that there's nothing that people won't put up with. Drones, bioweapons and nuclear warfare make genocide pretty easy these days, to say nothing of "black" technologies kept from the public.
>>
>>35157235
Are you implying that all the world's governments will work together to eliminate 90% of the population? Or that all the world's governments are following orders from an absolute elite entity?

How would it occur?
>>
>>35157288
>Create super-disease in lab
>Release it into world

That was hard.
>>
>>35142352
fucking go to school for machine repair idiots, its the job to have with the current job climate right now
>>
>>35157436
how are you going to stop a super-disease from becoming anti-biotic resistant and kill everyone, including the elites? Keep in mind, you don't want to kill everyone, that's dumb. You still need some working class.
>>
File: dog.png (377KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dog.png
377KB, 640x480px
>>35157510
>>35157510
>how are you going to stop a super-disease from becoming anti-biotic resistant and kill everyone, including the elites?
I unno
>>
File: eustace.jpg (96KB, 471x347px) Image search: [Google]
eustace.jpg
96KB, 471x347px
>>35157938
Cause it's not feasible for the elite to cull their own citizens.
>>
>>35154889
my school called me and asked for donations, told them they are not getting a dime from me unless they can get me a job.
>>
File: 1335467127386.jpg (53KB, 495x373px) Image search: [Google]
1335467127386.jpg
53KB, 495x373px
>start out as mechE major
>read threads like this about how engineers aren't even guaranteed jobs
>even with all that work they're not safe
>don't even like the coursework, i'm just capable of doing it
>switch major to Forestry
>fuck it, if i'm going to spend half my waking life working i'll do it outside in nature
>classmates are all friendly hippie types hoping to save the world or blue collar dudes who've worked in the industry their whole lives
>last month went on a camping trip with forestry students and geology students
>got drunk, played music, had a great time
>got my first internship in the summer
>high rate of employment after graduation

I think I'm gonna make it bros. I don't care if I'm sent off to Idaho or Maine for my first jobs, I stay home alone in my freetime anyways, it doesn't matter if I'm in a city or nowhere.
>>
So basically, if you're not going to a top 5, you're fucked, right?
>>
>>35142352
mechanical engineer here. unemployed.

get a two year trade. don't waste your life.
>>
>>35158814
Top 5 or being top 5 percent of your class
>>
>>35158870
What if I got decent grades at my community college (that I went to for 4 years since I'm a fuckup) and I get top 5 percent at my uni, for only two years, though? Do they even care about CC grades?

I already completed my first semester with a 4.0, and they weren't meme courses.
>>
>>35158814
>friend got a 95k job at Google from Berkeley, with a 2.7 GPA

I can't believe I fell for the "prestige doesn't matter" meme. Here I am with a 3.8 in ChemEng from CSULB, and I can't find a job.
>>
>>35158955
Protip: your GPA resets when you transfer to a university. At least, that's how it worked for me.
>transferred with a 2.9 GPA
>currently at 3.7 GPA
>>
>>35158955
every hr and company is different, but, texas instruments actually told us at an info session not to post cc gpa
>>
>>35158727
Funny thing is I was strong armed to switch from a major I liked (physics) for engineering for the better job prospects...
>>
>be molecular biologist
>Quit full-time job during undergrad to start volunteering in lab 20-30 hrs/week
>Graduate
>Get starting salaried 42k lab manager position

It's incredibly comfy in academia even though the pay is lame. I work when I want and do what I want. Boss just asks me to be there minimum 40 hrs/week.

Still going back to get a PhD, but it was a fun gig for two years to get some experience and money.
>>
>>35142507
Is GaTech a mediocre college? Just curious
>>
>>35159017
Jobs etc will of course look at all of your schools though. They're not just going to forget about where you were before you got to the school from which you graduated.
>>
>>35142429
>pajeets doing EE work for 30k or less
this doesn't happen
>>
>>35154603
Yeah if you're getting into engineering just to make big bucks you done goofed. There are plenty of other career paths that can get you just as much money with a lot less work if that's all you care about.
>>
>get a 4.0 first semester in EE after transferring
>end up with 3.44 gpa, since two classes I took over the summer at UC Davis as a dumb CCfag, 3 years ago, counted into the GPA

HAHAHAHAHA FUCKING HELL
>>
>>35159527
Fuck outta here.jpg
>>
>>35142352
After I got my degree I was working at a fast food place and tutoring for almost 4 months until I found an engineering job. It was total Bullshit, after 3 months of that job I got a new one at a really big transnational company. I had exactly a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Just keep applying to places and the more interviews you go on the better you get.

Mech e with math minor
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.