[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gardening/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 16

File: garden.jpg (730KB, 1544x904px) Image search: [Google]
garden.jpg
730KB, 1544x904px
Want to make your robot life more bearable?
Gardening is the answer
Hardly you will be able to find a comfier, more rewarding and lonely activity.. the rate of normie presence in gardening scene is 0%! guaranteed!

winter is about to finish, I prepared the soil this morning and later I'll sow green beans and spinaches
I'm already growing the lettuces, I'm transplanting them in the garden in about a month

what about you fellow robots? are you ready for spring?
>>
>>35141092
This is a plot at your home?
Do you live in an urban or rural area?

My apartment balcony is about 3-4sqm so I might put some potatoes in a sack, tomatoes growing in a tin can etc

Spinach sounds good. I can then toss it into soups because I would feel weird eating my own spinach
>>
File: 2016-08-15 16-45-51.jpg (600KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-15 16-45-51.jpg
600KB, 1280x720px
>>35141443
I live in the country side but I have a small garden
pic from last year, that's about half of the garden

if you have only a balcony, the first thing to consider is the hours of sun the plants could benefit
is it exposed to south?

since you must grow things in pots, you could obtain the best results with lettuce, chicory, strawberries, spinaches yes
tomatoes need something bigger than tin cans and a good quality of the soil

you could also grow thyme, sage and rosemary (basil too but you should keep the seeds because it lasts only one year)
>>
>>35141594
Nice garden. I haven't timed the number of sunlight hours. It's wasted space so I don't go out nor look out at the balcony.

Do you have plans to utilise the back wall for trellis vines?
Otherwise it looks top notch
>>
nice marigold placement
got about 50 coneflowers sprouting, gonna do a mass planting of them, and have 70 or so annuals for some hanging baskets pretty well on their way.

I'd agree if you are dwelling on someone else's land (let's be honest indefinitely), the least you can do is piss away some of that time on free food and decoration, also is pretty rewarding in its own right.
>>
>>35141706
thanks anon

if the balcony isn't exposed to north you should not have big problems
still I would say that plants like tomatoes (prossibly) zucchini, cucumbers (surely) require too much sun and soil nutriment for your case
but just try, you never know

>Do you have plans to utilise the back wall for trellis vines?
I planted a grapewine plant this winter, not sure if it is still alive or not.. in a couple of weeks I'll know
>>
>>35141819
>also is pretty rewarding in its own right.
oh it's veeery rewarding
>>
What do you do for pest control?
>>
File: just eat the mushroom.jpg (115KB, 900x627px) Image search: [Google]
just eat the mushroom.jpg
115KB, 900x627px
>>35141092

if you have a small plot of earth to work with and like to be outside, this is very true. gardening is a a+ hobby, you even get something back from your work. goes well if you also interested in cooking.
>>
>>35142390
Never had any kind of problem
Just a couple of snails but those are easy to kill
>>
>>35141092
This.

I can confirm, gardening is the anti-normies hobby
>>
File: image.png (110KB, 221x223px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
110KB, 221x223px
>>35141092
All I want to do is move to the country and live off the land.
No idea where to start though, not even my family support my idea.
>>
>>35142659
To live off the land starting from nothing takes a lot of money in the beginning, my little anon
>>
File: 1474311495799.jpg (101KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
1474311495799.jpg
101KB, 1024x904px
>>35141092
I live in a studio apartment in the middle of the city. There's no soil anywhere near me that isn't covered by concrete.
>>
>>35142765
well, you could grow something either way.. maybe.. your balls.
>>
falconry seems like the true robot pursuit, but it is illegal in Australia
>>
>>35142765
Dude, I live at the frontier between Yokohama and Tokyo and still manage to garden. My apartment is 19 square meter large and I do my gardening in containers.
I can't have trees (beside raspberries or babbie trees for aesthetic purpose) but I do herbs. Nothing beat brewing your own mint / rosemary herb teas, putting basile and parsley in your food... Plus it's a fashionable hobby socially accepted.
>>
I mostly grow parsley.
Use it nearly every day.
>>
I'm just getting into it this year since I've finally got my own house with space for it.

Trying out carrots, radishes, green onions and garlic first up. They're in planter pots because I jumped the gun and didn't wait till I got my raised bed ready (it's ready now)--garlic is doing great, radishes look pretty good and the carrots are at least sprouting. Not sure what's up with the green onions, they're super slow.

Based off that, I'm thinking I'll definitely go radishes and carrots in the raised bed (it's 4'x4'), since I'm doing well with them. Not sure what else is as easy--maybe potatoes too. I have squash seeds but I didn't know they needed so much space.

I'm really hoping to get berries going as soon as the cold stops. I want to put blackberries along the fence line, ~40 foot of them at least. I sort of blueberries in the flower bed, but I haven't checked anything like the Ph level of it yet.

Definitely doing cherry tomatoes too, but they'll likely stay on the porch in pots. I have it great in that the porch is 30x15 feet, going to be loads of space to put stuff on it.
>>
File: plants.jpg (1MB, 1632x1224px)
plants.jpg
1MB, 1632x1224px
>>35144778
pic

Order is: carrots, green onions, radishes, garlic.

You can barely see, but there's four sprouts for the onions. Didn't even try to space the carrots right when I was planting those since they're so tiny. I think I dropped about a dozen in the yard also, so I might get rogue carrots.
>>
Sounds pretty comfy but I live in a shitty apartment atm
If I ever have space to garden I'll be sure to do it though
>>
>>35141092
I wanna grow weed in muh garden.
>>
File: _20170225_095557.jpg (2MB, 3265x2432px) Image search: [Google]
_20170225_095557.jpg
2MB, 3265x2432px
>>35141092
Oh I'm gardening.
>>
File: 20170226_173932.jpg (515KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170226_173932.jpg
515KB, 1280x720px
OP here

so I sowed the first plants of the season
since forecasts say that on Tuesdays we will have heavy rain I already had to shelter them
beans are under that green cover next to the composter (it was its bottom actually)
which is a necessary protection against bird too
>>
File: 20170226_173949.jpg (537KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170226_173949.jpg
537KB, 1280x720px
>>35146060
under that thing instead there is the chicory
>>
>>35144901
do carrots, onions, radishes and garlic grow up in the same period?
>>
>>35142765
you know you can just get an allotment garden right anon
>>
>>35146266
I'm new to gardening, so I'm not 100% sure what you mean. They all seemed to want March planting, but I'm in the far South, so February seemed safe enough.

As for how long it takes them to grow, radishes beat the others by a lot and grow in like a month, apparently green onions take up to five months, 2-3 for carrots. The garlic was planted from cloves that had started to sprout already, so they had a head start.
>>
What can I grow with minimal space and poor sunlight? All I have is a balcony which faces Northeast. I'd love to grow some herbs or fruits
>>
How do I into gardening lads?
>>
Comfy thread. I've never done gardening though. I have a tiny balcony where I could fit some pots and stuff but it's facing North-North West. Am I fucked?
>>
>>35147281
eh..

that represents the worst case

probably you could have good results with mint, lemon balm (melissa officinalis)
you could try with winter lettuces (might work)

some flowers, why not
hidrangea macrophylla

probably some berries but I don't know much about them really

this applies for you too >>35147426

>>35147351
do you have a garden or..?
>>
File: 1450692622595.jpg (20KB, 456x393px)
1450692622595.jpg
20KB, 456x393px
>tfw have an allotment at the Royal Paddocks

Doesn't get much better than this robots.
>>
File: red-foliated-cotton.jpg (635KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
red-foliated-cotton.jpg
635KB, 1152x768px
Tried my hand at growing red foliated cotton again this year. Only had one left, because my dad ran over the ones I planted last year.

This one had the will to fucking live. It survived a windstorm, hail, 40f degree spring nights, and being chewed on by rabbits.

The result was 50 bolls of cotton. From one plant.
Now I have so much seeds that I could plant a whole field of them if I wanted. They make pretty flowers too.
>>
File: red-foliated-cotton-flowers.jpg (328KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
red-foliated-cotton-flowers.jpg
328KB, 1152x768px
>>35148462
Here's a pic of one of the first flowers to bloom.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (113KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
113KB, 1280x720px
>>35148462
>I could plant a whole field of them
do it
>>
>>35148462
>>35148959
Force a nigger to pick them for lulz
>>
File: gif.gif (40KB, 592x415px) Image search: [Google]
gif.gif
40KB, 592x415px
>decided to get into food production and growing last year
>I am a fat useless NEET of 27 years
>live with parents
>decide to start growing mint in a pot in the back yard
>tell my parents
>'you know my fat son, you can't just plant mint chocolate to grow mint, you need to be responsible, and will probably fail'
>want so badly to prove them wrong
>plant my mint
>wait 2 weeks
>nothing has grown
>get fucking impatient
>notice my parents commenting on how they knew it woud fail as I fail at everything
>get a tube of toothpaste
>squeeze the entire tube onto the pot
>put some extra soil over the top
>causes it to smell of mint
>keep telling my parents
>''haa smell the mint, it works, It'll be there soon!''
>2 days later come downstairs
>parents stuck toothpaste tubes into the pot
>'well done son, you grew toothpaste!'

Fucking assholes, I hate them. I fucking failed at MINT the easiest herb
>>
tfw no garden
>>
Landlord owns some land and gave me about 40m2 to grow veggies on last year. Pic related was the result. Snails and lice gave only minor problems. Since childhood I was used to growing food on wet peaty clay, so I underestimated the amount of water the new garden needed. Most of my beets and carrots didn't survive the dry summer.
>>
>grandpa had a huge garden in his backyard
>always took me to Home Depot garden center
>bought me soil, seeds, fertilizer, and pots
>loved growing food and 6' sun flower beasts
>neighborhood kids thought I was a faggot
>became too embarrassing to continue with hobby

:'(
>>
My gardens keep failing. I think a large part is I don't have any garden tillers. Those things are expensive.

I tried just using a shovel but thats a lot of hard work and then the grass just keeps coming back.
>>
>>35141092

Oh God I'm so happy it's almost spring!
>>
>>35141092
I miss gardening, I had a small one before I moved to the city, mostly growing tomatoes and some spices and it really was comfy.
>>
I'm literally about to grow habanero peppers. Are there any gardening books that are must reads?
>>
File: DSC_0497.jpg (941KB, 1500x843px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0497.jpg
941KB, 1500x843px
>>35150686
This year I'm trying something different, a la permaculture principles. I didn't turn over the soil, just threw compost on top. I'm also planning to cover the ground with living mulch (mostly clover and purslane). It's supposed to improve soil conditions and halt pests over the years.
I expect it to lead to a lower harvest and an overgrown garden, at least in the first year or two. But even if it fails, it will be a fun experiment.
>>
My previous attempts were shit so I'm trying to get grass to spread in a pot.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.