[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, who remembers when this was just called 'Sad Frog'?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10

File: feels.png (225KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
225KB, 2400x2400px
So, who remembers when this was just called 'Sad Frog'?
>>
it never was
originalblox
>>
>>35069521

Yes it was.

original
>>
File: nippon pepe.png (202KB, 391x497px) Image search: [Google]
nippon pepe.png
202KB, 391x497px
>>35069515

i remember when it became the insignia of the president and when it became a religion.
>>
>>35069533
on facebook maybe
>>
>>35069515
>>35069533
Yes, I was on facebook 6 months ago.
However that is not the origin of this image young newfag.
>>
>>35069521
YES IT WAS YOU STUPID FUCKING FAGGOT IDIOT I SWEAR TO GOD ITS LIKE YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THAT SAD FROG AND PEPE ARE DIFFERENT THINGS HOW DO YOU EVEN MANAGE TO BREATHE BEING THIS MUCH OF A DUMB FUCKING FISH FACED MONGOLOID LOOKING FAGGOT

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>35069533
Every time I see pepe I think "feels bad man".
>>
>>35069553
>>35069545

No. It was called sad frog initially on 4chan. There was no pepe or wojak shit; it was 'that feel guy' and 'sad frog'.
>>
>>35069618
It's literally just you shouting down the rest of the thread.
I have been here since /R9K/ was created, never saw it called sad frog.
>>
>>35069680

I've been on 4chan since fucking 2006, before r9k even existed. It was called sad frog. Repeatedly. The name Pepe is only like 2 or 3 years old at this point.

Can anybody back me up on this or is it some Mandela affect shit?
>>
>>35069618
I have no doubt that some people who didn't know the name would refer to him as such but he was always known as pepe.
>>
File: 6ad.jpg (92KB, 600x767px) Image search: [Google]
6ad.jpg
92KB, 600x767px
>>35069718
this is from 2005
>>
>>35069718
"feels bad man" was all I knew him as. It might have been some "running bear" type tomfoolery.
>>
>>35069680
I'm going to back OP up. They weren't widely known as Pepe and Wojak until about 2015 or so.
>>
>>35069735
BTFO

Original

Oregano
>>
>>35069766
>widely known
and that's the whole point
>>
>>35069788
Not really. The famous "feels bad man" reaction image was heavily used but I doubt most people that reposted it knew the source.
>>
>>35069515
> tfw you remember when Pepe was just "feels good man"
>>
>>35069680
>>35069719
>>35069735
>>35069762

Uh huh, so the original character was called Pepe, but he was known as "feels good man" and then Sad Frog (as a different image) WELL BEFORE being widely known as Pepe,

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/feels-bad-man-sad-frog

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pepe-the-frog

>"sad frog" begins to appear as a search term from 2010

>pepe appears as a search term from 2015, while at the time "sad frog" is still searched nearly twice as often

Fucking retarded newfags. If you don't know something why argue with such extreme arrogance?
>>
>>35069801
Yes? That's what OP is saying.
>>
File: happy_handsome_man.png (68KB, 330x346px) Image search: [Google]
happy_handsome_man.png
68KB, 330x346px
>>35069815
>knowyourmeme.com/memes
>>
>>35069816

He means widely known on facebook cause he's being retarded. THE FROG ITSELF, wasn't known on facebook by any name other than pepe. I actually learned the fucking name pepe in 2015 from some non 4chan using friends (I've been on 4chan since 2006, as I said) who had seen it on other sites, about two years ago: 2015.

You're all retarded; I can't believe I doubted myself.
>>
>>35069825

I provided an actual citation with data for search terms that corresponds exactly to my memory of the timeline. You were just wrong faggot.

>Feelsgoodman
>Sad Frog
>Pepe
>>
>>35069815
obviously people who didn't know his name would search for something like sad frog or refer to him like that
that doesn't mean that that is the original name of the meme
>>
>>35069561
Hey wasn't always sad, first he felt good man.
>>
>>35069854

It was the name the image was known by 90% of the time ON 4CHAN.

But obviously you weren't here then so I have no idea why you're arguing with me, Christ.
>>
>>35069873
This is true. Then he felt bad man. Now he's the leader of white nationalism. Helluva ride.
>>
>>35069840
I still don't see how what you're saying is in disagreement with what I said. You're exactly right as am I and OP.
>>
>>35069876
The character was introduced as pepe and is now widely known as pepe. Just because for a short time people didn't know what he was called and some facebookfags still don't, doesn't mean that his name isn't pepe.
>>
>>35069735
Literally this.
Fucking retards being semi-aware of this board and assuming long time lurkers would have the same experiences as them.
>>
>>35069902

Nah, it's not a disagreement with you. I'm referring to all the people who disagreed with me initially. We're right.

>>35069923

Could you actually shut the fuck up? It was widely known as sad frog for fucking years before always being referred to as Pepe. You're just wrong. You were proven wrong. It's so weird to me that you can be this pigheaded despite obviously not being active on the board during the time frame I'm referring to.
>>
>>35069962
>You were proven wrong
see>>35069735
plebs not knowing his name isn't proof
>>
>>35069977

Seriously, stop. The character's name has always been pepe, that's fine; he wasn't usually referred to as pepe on 4chan until quite recently. What are you not understanding? Why are you such a moron?
>>
>>35070006
>he wasn't usually referred to as pepe on 4chan
right, by people who didn't know what they were talking about. Most oldfags were aware of his name at any given time.
>>
>>35070006
>>35069962
>>35069902
>>35069876
>>35069848
>kids casually lurk /b/ or r/4chan in the mid-late 2000s and draw conclusions about /R9K/ memes

History really does repeat itself it seems.
>>
>>35070037

Well that's not how I remember it, and I was actually here. Even if there were some small number of people who supposedly had familiarity with the name pepe, it was phrases like" feels good man", "feels bad man", and "sad frog" which were associated with the original pepe image, and the sad one I posted.

I don't believe you were active on r9k 7 years ago. I never saw the word pepe in regular use until VERY RECENTLY, and google data backs me up exactly as I remember it.
>>
>>35070037
Oldfags are a myth. The only true fag is the newfag.
>>
>>35070101
>there are more plebs than there are people who know what they're talking about
who would've guessed
>>
>>35070138
We all know you're just trolling at this point. Anyway, what about Wojak? Did he stop being "feels guy" around the same time?
>>
>>35069848
>kym
>citation
>expecting actual pepe posters to share their memes to normies to log down on a public website

Hush little one, kym doesnt ecen know when oatpoasting started
>>
File: 1487611214656.jpg (109KB, 750x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1487611214656.jpg
109KB, 750x1024px
>>35070138

Do you have mental problems or something? Find, there were more 'plebs' who used sad frog to refer to pepe in 2010, and they outnumbered the people who knew the actual name by 9-1 so that sad frog was the name you saw 90% of the time.

It's still what people called it 7 years ago, and that's what this thread is supposed to reminisce about before you ruined it with your weird fixation on pretending to be an uber oldfag who knew all the sources of the ebin memes.
>>
>>35070101
Not that anon, but I was very active on R9K 7 years ago, and the rest of 4chan.
Google data will back you up because the kind of poster who knew the correct terminology for /r9k/ memes back then was even rarer than they are today.
Obviously there will be more normies than actual oldfags talking about any given 4chan concept, that in no way implies that actual oldfags have not known Pepe as Pepe since the original run of comics, which I unfortunately lost when my old hard-drive went for a swim.

You never saw the word Pepe either because you didn't care enough, didn't actually lurk enough, or were not actually there when the meme was being created.
He certainly didn't exist in the form posted by OP until much later in his developement.
The schizoid Pepe that is sometimes posted on /x/ is closer to the early renditions.
>>
Does anyone remember the arc of how Pepe developed. I think the slow appropriation of normies led to a fascinating, and somehow natural dramatic arc.
I remember when someone saw an unusual Pepe image and asked "hey mind if I save this image friend?". It caught on and soon people were producing "rare pepes" with watermarks on them, etc.
Eventually a high volume of these images lead to the Pepe economy meme. At this point the idea of rare pepes had started proliferating outside of r9k and reach the first shores of retard/normiedoom on Reddit.
In response to this, the Poo Poo Pee Pee was developed to dissuade normies from using their meme.
Alas, it was too little too late. "Sad frog" had already migrated fully into normie realms, and the attempt to associate Pepe with images of shit and murder were futile. After this, the Pepe/wojak friends series started, in response to their very hostile relationship depicted in Poo Poo Pee Pee.
Does anyone have the timeline pictures of how Pepe developed? I think it's ironic that normies and libs these days lose their shit so hard over cultural appropriation, but Pepe is a prime example of modern digital appropriation, and they took it from a place they claim to hate
>>
>>35070164

Well okay, what's your citation? Do you have a better source of information for when terms started coming into existence? I'm sure KYM isn't entirely accurate, but I know when sadfrog was widely used and when pepe began to be widely used because I actually posted during those time periods. The KYM was to prove to a few spergs that Pepe wasn't a well-used term until fucking 2015, which is true, and which is how I remember it.
>>
>>35070006
>guy makes a meme from a book
>people know the book and use it to make their oc
>the name is clearly in the book
>yet the people who make the ocs and enjoy them dont know the name

Im confused, also "sad frog" is such a normie tier name, and what happened to feelsgoodman?
>>
>>35070170
it is the name you saw
and you concluded that that was his actual name referring to him as such onward, being part of the problem. Yes, sad frog is what newfags called him. happy?
>>
>>35070174

>start thread called "remember when this (pepe) was called "sad frog"
>autistic spergs insist that it was NEVER CALLED SAD FROG, except on facebook
>when literally proven wrong they come out and say "oh, okay, well yeh OF COURSE a bunch of plebs called it sad frog cause they didn't know it was pepe and OF COURSE there were way more plebs"

So, yeah, remember when it was called sad frog? By most people? On 4chan?

Chriiiiiiist
>>
>>35070193
A bad cite isnt a valid site, you dont get points for trying, you get points for solid evidence.

Thats like saying "oh, this one poorly done test proves that vaccines cause autism, you cant debate me on it because i have the citation to the paper!"

Ill keep bumping the thread
>>
>>35070203

Wow, honestly, you might just be the biggest retard I've argued with in a long time. I bet you voted for Drumpf.
>>
>>35070212
>OF COURSE there were way more plebs
way more plebs googled sad frog
that is all the """""data"""" you provided
>>
>>35070203

It's not the name you saw. I proved that, there's no discussion to be had there. On r9k, up until 2015, the most common name for Pepe was "sad frog"

>concluded that that was his actual name /

What, no I didn't? Here are all my statements on his "actual" name, ITT:

>Uh huh, so the original character was called Pepe, but he was known as "feels good man" and then Sad Frog (as a different image) WELL BEFORE being widely known as Pepe,

>The character's name has always been pepe, that's fine; he wasn't usually referred to as pepe on 4chan until quite recently.

>Even if there were some small number of people who supposedly had familiarity with the name pepe, it was phrases like" feels good man", "feels bad man", and "sad frog" which were associated with the original pepe image, and the sad one I posted.
>>
File: 3222c944bb0e54d6.png (54KB, 500x534px) Image search: [Google]
3222c944bb0e54d6.png
54KB, 500x534px
>>35070235
>le bald british argument guy
](no this is not his actual name retard)[/spoiler
>>
>>35070215

Okay so we have two counter claims. Why am I the only one required to provide evidence? You're saying that Pepe was always the most common name to denote the frog image, and I'm saying that it started out with sad frog and feels good man. That's how I remember it, and the search data backs me up. You have absolutely no evidence for your claim, and there won't be search data to support it because it didn't happen the way you're presenting it.

KYM is still a better source than your opinion.

>>35070251

Sure, let me just get in my time machine and screencap some 2010 threads. Fucking moron.
>>
>arguing about the name of a green meme frog

This is why you don't have a gf
>>
>>35070212
>Remember when this site was for (insert demographic)?
>Remember when everyone posted (insert meme)?
>Remember when everyone raided ( insert site)?
>Remember when everyone worshipped (insert waifu)

The point of 4chan is that it is a horde of anonymous posters who can all say, do, create, and contribute, without being bound by the responsibility of who they are.
To say that it was called "sad frog" in the down syndrome echo chambers of 2012 and hence it shall always be known as "sad frog" because the majority believe it, is akin to saying that
>bananas are funny
>wew lad was a success
>there is no need to lurk
>2013 poster is an oldfag
As those are also majority sentiments on 4chan. It doesn't make them objectively right. It just means you were in the sad group of degenerates and roleplayers who spent their teenage years talking about memes they didn't understand.
>>
>>35070280
>Sure, let me just get in my time machine and screencap some 2010 threads. Fucking moron.
No one is expecting you to do so. Shutting the fuck up will be just as effective.
>>
>>35070193
I remember it from at least 2014/2013, sp guess both our points are valid, since youre going by "this is when i remember it". Rare pepe trading died out in 2015 because the normies got into it iirc.

If you're argument is based off semantics, then yes. When many normies found pepe, and shared it to others, the name was lost to them (Facebook doesnt save image names, and which normie doesnt mondlessly share things? All they do is say lol look at this frog and post it). Thus pepe became " widely known" as sad frog. But memes doent work on being the most popular thing with normies. Memes are a sign of dedication and membership to a certain group, just between the few of them, so this "widely known" concept is pretty cancer and you shouldn't be proud of being a normie who didnt even know the name of a frog on the internet
>>
>>35070292

> and hence it shall always be known as "sad frog" because the majority believe it, is akin to saying that

When the fuck did I say that? What are you talking about?

Christ, I start a reminiscence thread and the retards come out in full force. I'm not saying sad frog is a better name than pepe, or that the character is literally named sad frog you fucking moron: I'm asking people if they remember the fucking period of time when Sad Frog was the more common name attributed to the fucking frog image. That's it.

>As those are also majority sentiments on 4chan. It doesn't make them objectively right.

Dude just how obese are you? I never made a fucking value judgement on which name for the image is "right". I asked a question: remember when this (pepe) was called sad frog? That's. It.
>>
>>35069718
I always remember sad frog too. But since the beta uprising of 2014 pepe and wojak become more common than sad frog and feels guy.
>>
>>35070292
I may have gone on a tangent here
this anon >>35070310 got what I was trying to say pretty well, by the fact that if you knew Pepe as sad frog, even back then, that's pretty fucking normie-tier and definitely not something you want to be postin about with this amount of conviction.
>>
>>35070310

>When many normies found pepe, and shared it to others, the name was lost to them (Facebook doesnt save image names, and which normie doesnt mondlessly share things? All they do is say lol look at this frog and post it). Thus pepe became " widely known" as sad frog.

No. It was known as sad frog on 4chan. That's where I learned the name. I learned the name pepe from my little brother years later.
>>
>>35070280
>burden of proof
Also kym isnt evidence, in fact, some sites can be banned from Wikipedia for not being accurate, like the daily mail. So just looking something up and posting it isnt evidence, its you just trying to say "more people agree with me"
>>
>>35070341

>by the fact that if you knew Pepe as sad frog, even back then, that's pretty fucking normie-tier and definitely not something you want to be postin about with this amount of conviction.

No, he's wrong, and now you're wrong for agreeing with him. It was feelsgoodman first, feelsbadman second, sad frog third. Period. Whether the character's name was pepe is irrelevant to the discussion because he wasn't widely referred to as pepe until 2014 at the earliest. I don't care if you're part of some secret club who always knew and used the name pepe, because that name was simply not in wide use on r9k until much later. You have your timelines mixed up and you're either being an enormous faggot by trying to claim some greater 4chan authority through "always having referred to pepe as pepe" when very few others did: or, you're pretending to be an oldfag which is super retarded in itself.
>>
>>35070327
Do you want to be proud of being part of the influx of normies who didnt know the name of Pepe? Thats not how you get internet points friendo
>>
>>35070346

Why is the burden of proof on me? Look, if there's no credible way to prove this (I don't know of any airtight, peer-reviewed, academic journal articles on 2010 r9k memes) then we're just going to go back and fourth with "no you're wrong, it was called sad frog", "no you're wrong, it was always called pepe by most people".

I guess we remember it differently. I believe that my memory is backed up with the search data: you're free to think otherwise.
>>
File: image.jpg (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 1920x1080px
I would give anything to go back

Oregano mi gano
>>
>>35070343
>normies come to 4chan looking for sad frog
>think this is the name of the frog
>needed to learn it from little bro

Dude, theres nothing nostalgic or worthy of reminiscing with you. This is pleb tier, no wonder people are destroying you, you're no better than a filthy normie.

Put your brother on the computer please
>>
>>35070327
>>35070343
I suppose you are correct.

The majority of users which are both drooling and mouth-breathing at the moment may have know Pepe as sad frog.
They may well have ignored the vast information available on the contrary throughout the site at the time, and continued on their crusade to incorrectly name a meme repeatedly over the next half-decade.
They may even go on to start threads reminising about their previous incompetence, and bashing on anyone who actually lurked 4chan for extended periods during the timeframe they mention.

To these posters, I tip my fedora. I don't think I would have the commitment to be this fucking retarded for this many years.
You are truly the reason I have been coming back here for so many years, the slight metalic taste in my mouth, as it fills with blood after smashing my head into the wall that is your intelligence, may as well be opium.
Good day, and I hope you fucking choke on your tongue in your sleep.
>>
>>35070370

I'm not proud of any time period I was active or inactive on 4chan. I do not care. I just wanted to start a thread where people who also remembered pepe as sad frog could contribute, and maybe add some other reminiscences from r9k/4chan 7-10 years ago. That's. Fucking. It.
>>
>>35070403

I hadn't used 4chan much from 2013-2015 so I missed the inception of the whole pepe thing. I did see sad frog and feels good/bad man though! Cause those came first.
>>
>>35070394
I believe the burden of proof is always on the positive claim, since if it was on the negative, you could always backpedal. Sorta the concept of "theres an infinite amount of wrong answers, but only one right answer"
Thats how i remember it though :^)

At least this was a good thread to waste time on eh? In the end we'll just scoff at the opposition and continue on our day, practically learning nothing. The thread will be deleted, all this time and effort wasted on anonymous texts, never to fruit anything. Normies will never understand why we do it, i cant even say i do
>>
>>35070450

>the burden of proof is always on the positive claim

Fine, whatever. It's literally impossible to 'prove' either way because there doesn't exist an academic study of 2010 memes from the time period. All that exists is data surrounding search terms, which corroborates my experience, and which you won't accept.
>>
>>35070416
Well people are mad at you because youre acting like a normie, being proud od a meme he found, not one he created or helped spread. Normies arent pert of the ingroup, they come, find our memes, share it for social points, then claim to be part of the in-group. Its a mockery of all the time the robots spent making and refining this meme
>>
>>35070480

I'm not acting proud you dumb fuck. I'm asking other people to share their memories of an experience we both may have enjoyed, or have reminiscence of, many years later. Stop acting like this is some sort of 4chan dick measuring contest about who learned the arcane secrets of the true name of pepe and when. I don't care. I've been on 4chan since fucking 2006, I'm perfectly content with my 'resume' if we're getting into this kind of crap.
>>
>>35070474
Again, search frequency can infer that a lot of normies found pepe, but didnt know the name, and googled sad frog in google images, not sure why you only think it supports your claim. The small amount of oc creaters knew him as pepe, the small group of robots knew him as pepe, the normies didnt and theres a whole lotta them out there on the internet. If you want to be proud of being part of the normie wave that entered a robot save haven then sure i guess. This was all a semantics battle anyways

Hey... If it all started out as feelsgoodman, then why was there a bunch of searches for "sad frog"? Almost like the normie hoard heard of sad pepe when it got big instead of inception and decided to google for him.... Makes you think
>>
>>35070514
Doesnt sound like it, your saltyness seems to indicate otherwise, nice thread tho. You dont get to reminisce on things you didnt create, things you stole from the robots mr normie,
>>
>>35070607

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/feels-good-man

>feels good man predates sad frog by 2 entire years

Ready to admit you're wrong yet?
>>
>>35070714
>>35070607

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/feels-bad-man-sad-frog

>feels bad man predates sad frog by 1 entire year

Yeh, so like I said

>2008, most widely used name associated with the image is "feels good man"

>2009, "feels bad man comes to prominence"

>2010, "feels bad man" becomes known as sad frog

>2014-2015, massively increased usage of the name 'Pepe'

So, exactly how I remember it, all corroborated by search data. Checkmate you absolute retard.
>>
File: index.jpg (13KB, 198x255px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13KB, 198x255px
>>35069515
who remembers when he wasn't sad at all?
>>
retards, it was feels good man because the nigger didn't reveal the source of the comic until much later
>>
>>35069815
Are you stupid?

Orioriori
>>
File: berries.jpg (24KB, 423x377px) Image search: [Google]
berries.jpg
24KB, 423x377px
I MEMBER

>original fag
>>
>>35071780
2005 reporting in

life never gets better kids if you're posting here it's because there was never any hope for you. welcome home
>>
>>35070746
Just because retards didnt know the name of pepe and called him the, " feels good, man" frog doesnt mean it wasnt always his name
>>
File: 1477368494462.png (85KB, 606x505px) Image search: [Google]
1477368494462.png
85KB, 606x505px
>>35069515
I stll laik yu peep, no be saddy pls
>>
>>35071816

See

>>35070253

You stupid fuck.
>>
>>35070746
>search data
This meme never dies it seems. Keep living the dream norman
>>
>>35069735
Nobody knew about this comic during pepe's original run. He was first just "feels good man", and then sadfrog for a long time before the great meme radiation of 2014
>>
>>35072935

>remember something you witnessed first hand
>people say your memory is wrong
>well, I have no real way to prove it, but here's a good case based around search data that strongly suggests my take on the timeline is correct

>kys normie, RYM KEK

Fucking retards
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.