[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When someone tells you they are self harming, what do you do?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: 1485982871646.jpg (62KB, 773x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485982871646.jpg
62KB, 773x960px
When someone tells you they are self harming, what do you do?

Some random roastie just told me how edgy they are and i need to know how to handle that shit.
>>
I think about what how stupid they are and the scars that the mindless injuries will leave behind.
>>
>>35063094

Laugh hysterically and then get the iodine.
>>
>>35063094
If they told you they're self harming, say nothing. They told you for emotional leverage and/or attention. Giving it to them will only reinforce the cutter and they'll do it over and over again. Nip it in the bud before it's too late.
>>
Give her some attention, but not much, to reinforce that this is a way she can get attention, she just needs to escalate it.
Then laugh.
>>
I'd admit that I'd self-harmed too. In your position, I'd try to be kind and accepting. People self-harm for very complex reasons. Don't try to "fix" her, don't try to help her. Just listen to her and try to be non-judgemental. Don't be a dick if she's self-harming. Please.
>>
Get a bandaid
>>
File: 1457060839770.jpg (225KB, 1656x1378px) Image search: [Google]
1457060839770.jpg
225KB, 1656x1378px
>>35063210
What's your complex reason?

I'm in genuine wonder as to why you would cut yourself.
>>
wish niggas would actually do some real cuts instead of that pussy shit
>>
>>35063094
run from her
>>
>>35063210
>implying only women self harm
Guys do it to, but no one in the US nowadays gives a shit about guys. They might do it less, but they definitely hide it more.
>>
>>35064411

>Guys do it to

Kek, really? What a candy ass thing to do. I thought guys just offed themselves
>>
>>35063266
I heard that some people do it to show themselves they have control, but there are far better and far more natural ways to do so I'd say the majority of people do it just because of the Internet.
>>
>>35064529
That's pretty gay. Just like you anon
>>
>>35063094
ive got my scars from when i cut back in highschool, but not like the faint cut lines in op's pic. i went deep, and it was all for the pain. if someone is telling you that they currently cut, they are doing it for attention. say fuck that person and ignore their "cries" for help. it's just an excuse to try and make themselves feel special. Trust me, it does not help them if you acknowledge their plights.
>>
I did hurt myself, leaving scars. No this is not talking about, but if they ask about the scars - it burns lie on the grill.
I did not want to punish self, do not feel hatred or loathing, not boring so I want the pain.
At some point I realized that the ladyboy, which fell in, wipes me on his feet, takes for granted, thinking that I do not notice the subtle nuances, and refers disparagingly my fall-in-love perceives as a canine devotion.
Emotions faded, and I broke down and became a psychopath.
>>
>>35066244
*i burn myself to black makrk on skin, dont cut.
>>
>>35063150
>what is psych 101
>>
>>35063094
If you discover they're cutting, help them, they have a legitimate problem that they think they can't talk to other people about

if they tell you they're cutting ignore them, they're being attention whores
>>
>>35063094
pour lemon juice on the cuts, teach those faggots not to do that shit

natural consequences
>>
>>35064466
how many google translates did this go through
>>35066857
never undestimate how stupid people are
even here, where you'd expect that people would be less susceptible to manipulation from having lived lonelier/shittier lives
>>
>>35067009
>if you discover they're cutting, help them, they have a legitimate problem that they think they can't talk to other people about
this is also stupid
people can really only solve their own problems
>>
>>35067185
They have to make the decision to solve their own problems, but if you can manipulate them into making that decision you'll be helping them greatly

it's why fatshaming works
>>
The solution is too give them a different way of coping with emotions, for example writing down what they feel or discussing it with a peer.
>>
>>35063094
Run and don't look back.
That's what I did when I found out a qt who was into me was cutting.
>>
>>35063548
My ex gf cut a shit ton, literally cut so deep with a bit of glass from a smashed fuse that you saw her tendons.
Literally moved her tendons and yiu could see it.

Shit was fucked.
Would not recommend
>>
>>35063094
I would say something like oh... that's not good.

Maybe make her feel about it by being mean or sarcastic like if she talks about t say something like "thats gay as fuck" or if you see a cut point at it and say "wow youre so cool".
>>
As a boy cutting i can confirm, that i do it for the adrenelin rush following.
I cut on my legs under my underwear area to avoid attention.
>>
I'd probably try and woo them.

I can't remember if I was into psycho girls with knives before I started self mutilating so I'm unsure if the two are related but I sure as shit love girls with fresh cuts. Not pussy little attention seeking cuts like in OP though.

*nobody knows. nobody will ever know (other than other anonymous folks obviously). my mutilation is all on my legs, and I wear trousers all day every day so it's fine.
>>
File: tomo bitch.png (255KB, 820x565px) Image search: [Google]
tomo bitch.png
255KB, 820x565px
>>35064529
no, when you go through bad shit you get this weird chip on your shoulder that makes you super unstable emotionally. cutting causes endorphins to flood the brain, gets the person attention, and allows them to express this emotional bullshit that has to bubble out once in a while. these people don't necessarily direct anger inwards though, i've read of it being done to make someone else feel guilty and regretful.

trust me I aced psych 101, so i'm pretty much a certified psychologist.
>>
>>35063260
This. People in here are overthinking it like crazy. She needs a box of bandaids
>>
>cutting
>not self flagellating
>>
>blood bubbles
only shallow cuts do this. Why can't whores do anything right?
>>
>>35063094
I'd tell them I'd missed the part where that's my problem and leave.
I'm not going to open that can of worms.
>>
File: dF1DYi9.jpg (452KB, 2730x2048px) Image search: [Google]
dF1DYi9.jpg
452KB, 2730x2048px
>>35063094
Do not tell them to stop but also dont encourage her. Just say that you don't approve of it. Do not mention how it will make her ugly. That's extremely triggering for us.

I self harmed for a long time. I'm not even an edgy person just the sense of power you get when you can change your emotions when you get that cut/burn/hit right.

Its a behavior one can recover from though.

Just say 'I don't approve of that behavior I think it's bad for you'. Then just go by ear depending on what she tells you about it. Just refuse pictures if she tries to send them, just say I don't want pictures because I don't approve.
>>
>>35069204
Whats the use of self harming though? Nothing will happen, you are just damaging your body which will heal up pretty quick. Atleast killing yourself will stop your body completely kek.
>>
>>35069994
It's a pretty hard thing to explain to someone who doesn't get it. But for me at times it was deeply spiritual at times. Cenobite level, just watch Hellraiser. When you learn to overcome the pain, you feel so powerful,
>>
>>35069994
Not the person you replied to, but I self mutlilate and have done for years. Not ashamed of it.

It's a temporary rush, for me at least. I don't self mutilate because I hate myself, I self mutilate because it lets me know that I'm still alive. It lets me know that I'm still here, that I still have the ability to feel things.
That rush of the pain and the healing process is the only emotions I feel these days. Without self mutilation, I would be nothing. I'm not much right now, but I would be nothing without it.
>>
File: 59448689.jpg (98KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
59448689.jpg
98KB, 400x400px
>>35063094
Laugh at her, then with the most serious of tone and expression.
Tell her to kill herself.
Maybe she'll actually do it.
Nothing of value is lost.
>greatdayintheneighborhood.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMUGJZrR9Jg
>>
>>35063094
I end the relationship immediately. People like that wind up trying to manipulate you by threatening self harm. I never let it get that far.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.