[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw to intelligent for happiness

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 18

File: IMG_3400.jpg (84KB, 960x554px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3400.jpg
84KB, 960x554px
>tfw to intelligent for happiness
>>
>>35058858
This person was not beaten up enough as a kid
>>
>>35058858
Get this fucking normie posting shit off my board
>>
File: 1475848007405.png (11KB, 230x328px) Image search: [Google]
1475848007405.png
11KB, 230x328px
>>35058858
>tfw to intelligent to believe tumblr posts

At best you can say intelligence and depression are linked. You can't prove causation without a proper experiment.
>>
>I-I just want to die because I'm too smart!

No. Your life sucks, your body sucks and everyone hates you. That's all there is to it. Stop trying to spin it into some nonsense about intellectual superiority.
>>
>>35058978
Actually, I'd say more than intelligence what has been proven is that depressed people are more realistic about their lot in life, their control over it, etc. In order to be happy and successful, a degree of delusion is necessary and healthy.
>>
>>35058858
Mental illness is negatively correlated with intelligence and as far as happiness goes its much more complicated than this post acknowledges. Whoever made this meme just wants to sound deep like they discovered something cool
>>
File: Bubblebass.jpg (21KB, 353x239px) Image search: [Google]
Bubblebass.jpg
21KB, 353x239px
>>35058858
what the fuck is all this normie shit.

you know it's a normei post when:
>mentions depression
>claims to have "studies" that are plain obscure and are never cited
>le suicide
>le depression is virtue signaling and not weakness (here it supposedly indicates you are intelligent
>that normie rhetoric and lingo

>>>out
>>
>>35058858

I think it's more accurate to say that intelligence combined with sufering makes a person more prone to suicide, and that makes a lot of sense

Those of us who are intelligent and happy are probably no more prone to suicide than the general population
>>
While I think that smart people are usually miserable...

being miserable and having fucking meme "depression" doesn't make you smart

Fuck whoever made this shitty post
>>
>>35058858
Apparently you are not too intelligent, because being a realist doesn't mean you are more intelligent. They are unrelated. Realism in this context refers to the pessimism-optimism scale, and optimistic people are not necessarily less intelligent.
>>
Not being defensive of this fool, but why does /r9k/ of all boards call depression a "meme"?
>>
>>35058858
or more intelligent people are more prone to mental diseases since there are more processes that could go wrong. it's easy for everything to run smoothly if not much is going on, it's like how a wheelbarrow it hard to break but a dump truck is easier to break since it has more moving parts etc.
>>
File: braintech.jpg (86KB, 610x438px) Image search: [Google]
braintech.jpg
86KB, 610x438px
>tfw intensionaly to self-delude
>tfw to intellegint for this tricks
>>
>>35059334
lol I don't think that's how it works anon
>>
>>35058858
I don't know if it stems from intelligence, but I think to much to be happy
>world is a closed system of energy
>everything has to come from somewhere
>loss is an inherent part of life
>why
>>
>>35059397
>disagrees
>provides no logic or evidence

nice, I'm just saying the more complex something is the easier it is for malfunction to occur
>>
>>35059430
>>disagrees
>>provides no logic or evidence
cuz it just sounds inherently dumb to try to reduce neuroscience and psychology to "well it's like a car"
and what makes you think conscious thoughts have anything to do with the 90% of your brain where these mental illnesses actually occur? they're completely different spheres of activity
>>
>>35059171
>intelligent

intelectually? reasonably?

the intelligent doctors and succesful people don't usually commit suicide as much as the wagecucks do.

and please don't get intelligence mixed up with principles, normies do this shit alot when they openly boast of their personal philosophys and "theorys" that are cringy entry level babys first philo bullshit that is really just to sate their egotistical desires to be viewed as smart and deep.

examples
>lewhyarewehereXD?
>learewealoneintheuniverse?
>ledoesGODexist?

they've tunred these once good questions that only the most highest intellectuals would ask after losts of intorspection and thought comparing and contrasting things around them into MEMES.

normies are so awe struct of these statements that they don't immediatly lable the person as the "smart" one of the group.
>>
File: holy shit.png (74KB, 699x494px) Image search: [Google]
holy shit.png
74KB, 699x494px
lol im pretty fucked, but im dumb af
>>
>>35059312
Just like every other fast moving board on 4chan, people here thrive on bullying and putting each other down.
>>
File: 1479800245419.jpg (91KB, 469x471px)
1479800245419.jpg
91KB, 469x471px
>>35059312

It isn't a meme but 90% of the people who claim to have it are full of shit. Anyone who says they "overcame" depression is a confirmed liar, it's a lifelong struggle just like alcoholism.
>>
>>35059541
>tfw i meditate

b-buh it calms me down...
>>
>>35059472
>all analogies must be exactly the same complexity, otherwise they're dumb

the whole point of analogies is to make something easier to understand, baka
>>
File: 1484972069272.png (494KB, 640x487px)
1484972069272.png
494KB, 640x487px
>>35058858
Just because your scored good on tests does not mean your intelligent. Intelligent people actually use their intelligence and solve their problems.

Here's a secret for you:
Depressed people claiming to be smart are the failures who were propped up and told that they were smart when they really just adapted to their situation.
>>
>>35058858
I was hoping that was arabic from the thumbnail.
>>
>>35058858
oddly enough a lot of the people that documented the holocaust and the japanese occupation of china in wwii ended up committing suicide after

sometimes ignorance is really bliss
>>
>>35059587
but when you overdo it you end up with something that sounds retarded and isn't even correct to begin with.
>>
>>35059763
wtf are you talking about? the more complex something is, the easier it is for it to malfunction? how hard is that to understand? it's obviously true, perhaps I should have made a simpler analogy so you could understand
>>
>>35059706
>Depressed people claiming to be smart are the failures who were propped up and told that they were smart when they really just adapted to their situation.

Perfect answer for the "I'm smart but lazy, so that's why I'm a failure" meme. Being successful isn't that difficult and is objectively preferable to being a poorfag or a neet. Actually intelligent people would work the system and be self sufficient and comfy.
>>
>>35058858
This.
What it means is that happiness only exist in the animal side. Happiness is satisfying your animal instincts and needs.

Why don't you get it robots?
>>
>>35058858
The opposite is literally true. Smart people are happier more stable and just better overall. This meme is just a coping mechanism for people who think real life has a point allocation system. Truth is that high IQ is Chad trait and thus correlates with happiness
>>
>>35059541
>Anyone who says they "overcame" depression is a confirmed liar, it's a lifelong struggle just like alcoholism.

that is not true I overcame depression with exercising. I probably had a chemical imbalance and exercising made some corrections to my brain. I use to be suicidal but now most of that feeling is gone. I know how it feels to be depressed I had it all of my life so don't come here telling me that was lies.
>>
File: 1481765809914.jpg (56KB, 553x631px) Image search: [Google]
1481765809914.jpg
56KB, 553x631px
>>35059902
Gratification is not fulfillment. Indulging in your impulses for a momentary high of happiness does not compare to the fulfillment you gain from actually accomplishing a difficult feat.
>>
>>35059810
this is exactly what I was talking about. You're thinking of brains in such simplistic terms, it's insulting to the actual science of the topic.
Answer this >>35059472
>and what makes you think conscious thoughts have anything to do with the 90% of your brain where these mental illnesses actually occur? they're completely different spheres of activity
>>
>>35059984
>implying mental illness exclusively pertains to conscience thoughts

how ironic that you're saying I'm insulting neurology by 'oversimplifying things'. btw conscience thoughts are not the only mechanism of intelligence
>>
>>35059480
Doctors commit suicide pretty often dude and most dont live past 50
>>
>>35060021
That's the opposite of what I'm implying retard. But if you say so, then we're in agreement.
>>
>>35060074
except you assumed I thought mental illness pertained exclusively to conscience thoughts from the beginning. again really ironic, you just misinterpreted things form the get go and fucked this whole conversation
>>
File: Squirrel_onadiet.jpg (619KB, 1024x1024px)
Squirrel_onadiet.jpg
619KB, 1024x1024px
>>35059962
Having a stash of nuts to spend the winter is not instant gratification.

Even when you are proud of achieving something on life, like getting a degree, that happiness can be traced back to an animal survival instinct: that of having greater chances of getting a good job which could provide food and shelter.

Happiness is just satisfying the animal inside you.
>>
>>35060054
The suicides are the ones who aren't smart enough to do the job. They can't handle it so they kill themselves. The smart ones are the Chads with hot wives and mansions
>>
>>35060189
so your comparing a perfect being without consciousness that is forever a slave to the instinctual mechanisms which guide and protect it to an emotion which has variances in strength depending on the circumstance?

Is the concept of partaking in a difficult feat for a personal challenge a survival instinct? Is it instinctual to give yourself a challenge and a goal to strive for?
>>
>>35058858
I've met a lot of stupid people and they aren't happy. They spend most of their life angry or using degeneracy to feel better. They'll fight you over 20 bucks for example. The people who are happy naturally are high IQ
>>
>>35060280

I mean you need to be pretty smart and well connected to even become a doctor in the first place, but sure. Dealing with death as a part of your daily routine and working 80 hours a week can do that to people.
>>
>>35060372
That doesn't mean much if you still aren't smart enough to handle the work. An IQ of 115 can get you the job but An IQ of 125 is needed to do well as a doctor
>>
>>35060335
Nature has to give some motivation for the bots to try to remain alive and indulge in competition, otherwise they will die and nature won't have a great chance of continuing to exist. That motivation is what you call "happiness".

> Is it instinctual to give yourself a challenge?
You can of course find examples of absurd challenges that are not related to nature. But probably you won't be happy when carrying them to completion. On the other hand, if you feel happy about succeeding in something, I could probably find animal gains derived from it.

Even social status is in the end an animal gain, as it involves ease of finding a sexual partner, and higher chances of being trusted or helped by other members of the community.
>>
>>35060833
Im fine with being an animal. It's fun
>>
File: granny.jpg (56KB, 654x710px)
granny.jpg
56KB, 654x710px
>>35059876
>Actually intelligent people would work the system and be self sufficient and comfy.

you are operating under the fallacy that the system in place can be bypassed through reason. The problem is that with reason usually comes empathy and compassion. The reason you can't work around society through thought alone is because society is not enforced through reason or compassion, but rather through brute force. The end result for non-compliance is ultimately execution. This is why civil disobedience never creates lasting effects; because they have the go ahead to kill and that will always be the appropriate tool for pushing one's beliefs.

thinking you can "game" society with intellect is crudely analogous to thinking you can pick a mechanical deadbolt with a card key. The powers that be, however, can at any time blow the lock off with brute force. That's why they are in charge.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZCZkekxxg

>le depression
>>
File: proboscis-monkey.jpg (41KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
proboscis-monkey.jpg
41KB, 660x495px
>>35061020
I think the problem comes when we try to rationalize animal behavior so that we don't feel dumb. You know the brain is a great liar and will try to find a model before being in a cognitive dissonance state.
>>
>>35061087
The people who dominate our society are the smartest people. Their superior genes not only make them intelligent but healthier better disciplined and more capable of handling stress
>>
File: marshal fags btfo.jpg (28KB, 576x720px) Image search: [Google]
marshal fags btfo.jpg
28KB, 576x720px
>>35061565
>yes siree, mastah sho iz a kind mastah, aint he?
>and he so smaaaaht, hooowee!

I don't even see the need to put the spotlight on the glaring appeal to authority here, so I'll just ask you this. If that were so, would it matter? What difference does it make if the man threatening you and yours with eviction and violence is smart or stupid?

He still has the gun...does that mean he is healthier, better disciplined and more capable of handling stress?
>>
>>35061868
The man who dominates had to strategize and he had to prove he was stronger. If he overpowers me it makes him better. Men overpower women whites overpower blacks rich overpowers poor et
>>
File: abstract kind of feel.gif (232KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
abstract kind of feel.gif
232KB, 480x270px
>that feel when even Cthulhu would kill herself if she knew the too intelligence within me
>>
>>35058923
>>35058907
Really confused, this is the opposite of normie shit.
>>
File: you see.png (456KB, 925x700px) Image search: [Google]
you see.png
456KB, 925x700px
>>35058858
This is partially true, on the surface. You see, the reason intelligent people end up becoming depressed is because they tend to end up breaking their own preconceptions about existential topics like religion, the meaning of life, morality e.t.c e.t.c

This has two major negative consequences:
1. Having their own preconceptions shattered, these persons might be unable to find that something important that gave meaning to human life is gone, and end up becoming nihilists.

2. Breaking with previous conceptions about these topics, (specially in the case of religion) will make these persons feel alienated with their friends and family, with whom they will not discuss their ideas for fear of being rejected or a sense of being "respectful" with their ideologies.

These two factors can very easily lead a person to depression, specially if their friends/family actively reject them because of their ideas.

Intelligence is not at fault for this, ignorance and indoctrination are.
>>
File: cu45635.jpg (20KB, 377x352px) Image search: [Google]
cu45635.jpg
20KB, 377x352px
>>35062089
but the brute by definition is not burdened with excessive cognition, so he is "better" because he got the best of you, but to get closer to the thread topic, I'd say that man is likely not experiencing much in the way of existential dread
>>
>>35062403
*Lemme correct point n. 1

>Having their own preconceptions shattered, these persons might feel like something important that gave meaning to human life is gone, and, being unable to find any meaning to their life, they end up becoming nihilists.
>>
>>35061020

Nothing wrong with that, but the problem occurs when people go into full blown denial mode and start throwing around insults and memes in order to not admit that most if not all of their life and thoughts are spent on trying to become the best animal between other animals. Its the mentality that anyone who isnt trying to do so as well is a autistic, a sperg, beta, cuck etc etc. Sure there are people out there who chalk away their failure at being the best animal to "not caring in the first place", but this doesnt mean that there arent people out there who are aware of their animal nature and mostly focus on non animalistic goals.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>35059541
> Anyone who says they "overcame" depression is a confirmed liar

WROOOOOOOONG
>>
>>35062282
but the person clearly is babbie's first existentialism / nihilism / Lovecraft / absurdism / antinatalism / whatever the fuck and they need to lurk moar
>>
>>35058858
fuck you and your shitty forced meme. It has to fucking die like you, bastard.
>>
people who use that font are definitely not intelligent.
>>
>>35059541
some people who claim to have depression obviously do not but this graphic is stupid.

there are studies showing that meditation can improve mental health.
it's important to consciously choose a positive attitude as much as you can, even when depression is beating you down.
showering, eating right and exercising do help because what you put into your body and what you do affects your mood and keeping a routine helps you avoid negative behavioral patterns that intensify depression.

this implies that if a person attempts to fight their depression at all then they are not depressed. this is not true.

>>35062549
explain why you say that please.
>>
>>35062654
Many people, including myself, have overcome depression. There is empirical evidence that refutes that statement. As simple as that.
>>
>>35062592
this. it's normie tier to think nihilism is something profound or worth talking about.
>>
>>35062403
>>35062473

I have nothing to contribute but I wanted to post to say this is a good post and to give you a (You) so it doesn't get ignored.
>>
>>35062727
i assumed that you were talking about yourself so i was basically asking what your experience with depression was like and how you overcame it.
>>
>>35058858
The term "ignorance is bliss" was said for a reason.
>>
>>35062089

>Person gets gun that was made by someone else
>He still has the gun...does that mean he is healthier, better disciplined and more capable of handling stress?

You didn't even answer the question Anon.
>>
>>35062749
>>35062592
what is profound or worth talking about? i see a lot of people shitting on various philosophies and it's very trendy to shit on nihilism and other philosophies that are not really babby's first anything. the OP picture does not say anything about nihilism, either. of course, it's stupid as fuck, but it only implies that whatever they consider to be the nature of reality makes them depressed.
>>
>>35062089

What you're saying isn't necessarily wrong, but the vast majority of wealth is inherited, so the people in positions of power aren't always the betters you're describing, but their descendants.
>>
>>35061565
>The people who dominate our society are the smartest people.
completely incorrect. as you explained yourself, physical and mental health are also factors in success and neither one is determined by intelligence (though obviously, they can be related in many cases).
>>
>>35058858
What the fuck is a test of realism? How is realism tested?
Do they hand you a picture and ask you to describe what's going on?
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 600x800px
>tfw depressed brainlet
>>
File: Screenshot_45.jpg (18KB, 291x324px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_45.jpg
18KB, 291x324px
>>35062894
this

most people are dismissive because it threatens their deep, dark worldview that only they can possess because they are sad broken snowflake puppets. It's the philosophical equivalent of one's favorite band becoming too popular. Also, OP image was expressing pessimism, not nihilism. There's nothing neutral about concluding existence to be torturous. They are assigning a negative value.
>>
>>35058858
Intelligence is actually negatively correlated with mental illness
>>
>>35058858
>that fucking font
>>
>>35062894
actually it's a good summary and even echo of for example Zappfe who is pretty central to the antinatalist perspective
>>
>>35062802
I had a mild experience as a teen:
I had a really really bad weeaboo/edgy phase in my teens. Rejected going out with my friends everytime, my parents were fighing all the time because my father spent all the money on booze and gambling, and stealed money from me and my mom. I started using videogames and anime to delude myself and ignore my problems. Reached a point where i didn't care about anything outside vidya and anime, to which i dedicated all my time except when i had to go to class. I didn't talk to anyone, including my parents. In the end my mom brought the topic and we had a long talk about it and she helped me get a little more confident and motivated.
Not something i would consider worth of a depression diagnose.

The more serious experience i had was when i was with my ex:
It was a living nightmare. I won't enter on the details, but she psychologically abused me to the point where i lost all connection with my friends and family (and when i say all i mean ALL), all the time that i wasn't working she demanded me to dedicate it to her, EVEN when eating, and sometimes even more. And that is only a small portion... i reached a point where i self-harmed myself out of sheer frustration, stabbing myself in the arm with a pen. In the end i ended up dumping her by phone call because i couldn't stand her any longer. And i gradually recovered from that shit.
>>
>>35063152
>self-harmed
>stabbing myself in the arm with a pen
lol
>>
>>35063196
i didn't bother to get a knife for that, a pen is what i had at hand in the moment. And when i say stab, i mean sinking the pen deep enough to cause bleeding. I did the stabbing mostly on the shoulder area, because it was easier to hide the scars.
>>
>>35059334
I agree. You could compare humans to computers in this regard. But intelligence and depression are not correlated, environmental factors and genetics are the culprit.
>>
>>35058907
>thoughtsIHadWhenIWasFifteen.txt

I want to kill myself tho so this unique realization by OP pic is probably true
>>
>>35062403
this

originolia
>>
>>35058858
>"le too smart 2 live" meme

Human life isn't existential horror, existential horror is a construct of an IQ high enough to think it can rely on itself as a source of the derivation of meaning from existence. One will never find a sufficient meaning to life through logic or pure reason, and if they construct an illusion of one, it's fleeting- something that will become unstable once their body does- usually a form of hedonism.

For me, ultimately, this was the first step towards realization of truth. Human existence doesn't make sense from any sort of empirical or materialistic understanding. It's all so absurd, we're so fucking different from other things, and our intellect is counter-intuitive if its purpose is purely evolutionary. What purpose does being so smart have to furthering our survival if we can kill ourselves out of existential despair?
>>
>>35059904
Majority of Chads are literally mentally retarded, the future is Idiocracy
>>
Oh man, I love blackcurrant cordial when you get the mix just right. I should really measure this shit out, but something about getting it right on the fly is more satisfying. Mm mm, great stuff.
>>
>>35058997
Fucking so much this
>>
>>35058858
Obviously not too smart for happiness. Try adding a second o to that "to" and see how it turns out.
>>
>>35059932
what's a good way to start getting into the habit of exercising? I'm tired all the time and have no motivation to do anything.
>>
>>35058858
lol wow that's a pretty big inference there buddy

nope
>>
>>35058858
>no source
>"tests" of realism
>this indicates that if the mind understands to much about reality it wants to destroy itself

I swear to god fucking psychology, there's other factors that could influence the results such as rates of diagnoses in different incomes, or perhaps considerably more middle class people commit suicide, furthermore the idea that being more intelligent and realistic is entirely an assumption, correlation does not fucking equal causation.

The people here aren't especially intelligent, most just wallow in their shit and send their shitty lives further down the plug hole, they're behaviour is illogical.
>>
>>35058858

That's the truth. I laugh at all the mad normies in this thread that disagree.
>>
>>35063011
maybe an example would be someone realizing that everyone eats poorly and comes to the conclusion that people choose bad food because "Were gonna die anyway". Also with the increase of atheist who have left religion more and more people are starting to take a step away from their life to analyze the whole picture and the meaning behind it.

Another modern day example is removing the sanity of Gender or Act of sex by not conforming to society standards(only man and women exist because we've said so, Sex is a gift to my husband, etc)
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.