[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trucking

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 4

File: trucking_efficiency_banner_v3.jpg (56KB, 675x367px) Image search: [Google]
trucking_efficiency_banner_v3.jpg
56KB, 675x367px
Any other truckers on /r9k/? I make like 70k sitting on my ass by myself for 20-30 hours a week. Get to set my own hours, listen to music, podcasts, audiobooks, see the countryside. It's a job I think robots would like.
>>
>>35044682
Enjoy being replaced by self driving trucks within 8 years according to conservative estimates.
>>
ive serviced hundreds of trucks mostly macks but i dont know how to drive one and havent ever drove a straight shift car on the road

how can i learn and get to drive a truck? macks are awesome
>>
How do you make your own hours when when your clients need their products in a timely manner?
>>
>>35044709
this
self driving trucks are already a thing
testing them on roads right now, expect them to roll out at the same time as self driving cars do
>>
GOD DAMN IT I HATE TRUCKS
>>
File: 1487636094881.jpg (8KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
1487636094881.jpg
8KB, 277x182px
>>35044709
>>35044804
>reddit trying to ruin the thread by bringing unnecessary "fun facts"
Have your upvotes
>>
>>35044709
until one of them crashes and sets everything back 20 years
>>
How do you deal with assholes on the road cutting you off?
>>
>>35044879
i'm not a trucker but i doubt they worry too much about it because they aren't the ones that are going to get hurt in a crash
>>
>>35044682
How do you get a job like that?
This sounds like the comfiest of jobs
>>
i've always liked the idea of commercial driving but i wouldn't feel very good handling a big fucking truck. the concept of having to maneuver said truck around tight city streets and back it up into loading bays sounds like a great way for me to accidentally cause massive amounts of property damage

i've driven cross country multiple times but always in smaller cars.

i also am not very good at stick and know literally nothing about automobile maintenance or repair

pretty sure this is not the job for me
>>
Genuine question, why do you group up in threes, let the person in back pass to front, switch lanes, and then repeat again and again barely letting anyone pass? Are you just being fucking assholes? Is there an actual reason?

Also, why do you suddenly speed up when people are passing you?
>>
>>35044905
edgy.

bofifjfbloxx
>>
File: tumblr_okqca0ePx11r2r59eo1_1280.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_okqca0ePx11r2r59eo1_1280.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
>self driving truck
>drone delivery
>2021
>read headlines
>"Christian mother sues after drone mistakenly delivers sex toys to her house"
>"Drone delivers drug payload to police station by mistake"
>"'Safer' automated truck kills toddler"
>Delivery men now make 100k per year since only rich fucks can afford human delivery
>mail system finally breaks down
>>
>>35044682

sounds stressful

You're always on the highway which is stressful plus the extra stress of being in a massive truck

you probably miss exits all the time because you can't switch lanes

imagine trying to back that shit up
>>
File: dozers.jpg (73KB, 500x507px) Image search: [Google]
dozers.jpg
73KB, 500x507px
i drive pic related , do i count?
>>
>>35045092
>implying that none of that happens with human truckers
>>
Any of you still use the CB Radio?

I found a pretty good CB Base at the thrift store today and I'm going to use it to chat with the truckers.
>>
>>35045249
you can fire a trucker, but you can't fire an AI - Plato
>>
>>35045206

this and also crane operating sounds way better than trucking
>>
>>35044968
This is me too. I've honestly thought about being a trucker because it really is a great robot career. Driving on the highways would be fine but in town and backing up to load/unload seem awful. I can barely backup accurately in a car, let alone a giant truck.
>>
It's a job that will be gone in about 5 years senpai
>>
>>35044868

oh yeah because human drivers never crash
>>
>>35044709
I dont see them repainting the dotted lines between lanes. Lots of cities dont maintain them, especially in Dallas. These selfdriving cars need lanes to follow. They fuck up with no lines to follow.
>>
>>35045361
>These selfdriving cars need lanes to follow. They fuck up with no lines to follow.
shit ones maybe
google cars don't need lanes
>>
>>35045324
the drivers can be blamed in a crash

who do you think people will blame if a self driving truck gets in a crash? the system, which just happens to be in every other self driving truck. and then you have the media that will twist the story even more.
>>
>>35045361
>not maintaining your roads
llol you have bigger issues than not getting self driving cars
>>
>>35045409
who cares?
they will be safer than normal drivers
the self driving cars have already proved this
>>
>>35044709
Yeah right, weren't we supposed to have flying cars by now too?

Our infrastructure just isn't made for fully autonomous vehicles and it won't become the standard until far in the future.
>>
>>35045281

CB? It's not 1978 anymore, no one uses that shit.
>>
>>35044682
>20-30 hours a week
>70k

hahaha. That's such bullshit.

You might make 30k after a 70 hour week.
>>
>>35045507
google it dumb ass
self driving trucks are being driven in america right now
and cars have been driving for millions of miles
>>
>>35044682
how do you become a trucker?
originally
>>
>>35044682
guys everytime i try to make a thread i just get (upload failed) wtf is going on?
pls help
>>
>>35045583
You're going to have give me some source on that because I can't find it.
>>
This is one of my last-resort jobs. I like driving but I have a fucking degree.
>>
>>35044747
Independent contractor? He picks from a list of available jobs and gets the ones that suit his schedule.
>>
Driving puts me on edge and driving something as big as a truck would probably be worse ten fold.

Every single time I drive for more than 5 minutes, I'll have a splitting headache for an hour after I stop driving.
>>
>>35045631
literally first result
https://www.wired.com/2016/10/ubers-self-driving-truck-makes-first-delivery-50000-beers/
>>
>>35045583
calm down bitch why are you so hyped up about a truck discussion
>>
>>35045298
I shit my pants just thinking about climbing up the ladder to get to the cockpit or whatever you call it.
>>
>>35045849
"Its technology works only on the highway, where it doesn't have to deal with tricky variables like jaywalking pedestrians, four-way stops, or kids on bicycles."

At the moment truckers are still keeping their jobs. Full autonomy for trucks isn't here yet.

These tricky variables are a lot more difficult to program for than what's being speculated. It's like when they started building humanoid robots and could get it to perform basic tasks, but when it came to comprehending unfamiliar things and decision making... the robots were very stupid.

We have the technology for self-driving trucks, but like I said we lack the infrastructure.
>>
>>35044682
As a general rule how riddled with STD's are truckers? random hookups are a thing. Is it just alike anywhere else or are they more prone to catching shit?
>>
>>35046451
so what would happen to all of the truckers if that ever happend?
>>
>>35044682
As much as the pay and listening to my music/podcast/audiobooks sounds appealing to me, I don't have enough confidence in my driving ability to drive a normal sized car, let alone a truck.
Also, >>35044709
>>
I work for a trucking company and I can't fucking wait for autonomous trucks. One of the biggest hurdles of the trucking industry right now is finding good drivers, or drivers at all. It's not a glamorous job and nobody is getting CDLs anymore. The average age of our drivers is probably 45+ and we never get new young drivers. We try to keep it a secret from them, but our best drivers, we would practically beg and plead to keep them from quitting.

Self driving trucks means we don't have to pay the drivers anymore. Means I don't have to deal with dumbass drivers coming in all hostile with questions about deductions on their check stubs. Means I don't have to clean out sleeper cabins with some of the nastiest shit you've ever seen in them. Means no longer worrying about these drivers (all of which have terrible health issues) having a heart attack and killing a family of four while totaling a trailer of freight worth $1M. Means no lunatic drivers saying "fuck it" and driving the truck off to Mexico to sell it and the freight.

Also, OP is full of shit about his salary.

>>35044738
Trucks these days are mostly automatic transmissions.
>>
>>35045281

i'm not the op but i have a cdl and have driven trucks for the oilfield and other closely related industries.

hardly anyone uses a cb outside of super trucker types. for certain jobs where you have to pick up bulk and aggregate materials ,like at pits, mines and silos, you'll usually have to communicate with the facility over the cb, but other than that, hardly any cb usage.
>>
>>35045298
How? Driving requires way less thought and you drive a huge-ass vehicle. Nothing threatens you on the road
>>
>>35044709
I find this hard to believe, they will probably have humans incase of an emergency for 5+ years after they are introduced until the general public become ok with them so you're looking at 15+ years from now, hopefully ill be retiring by then or skilled enough to do something else.
>>
I want to be a trucker but I live in Australia where everything is horribly over regulated and the unions are out of control.
>>
>>35044738

i got my cdl through an oilfield well service company, Baker Hughes, that was paying for training if you agreed to work for them. Most well service companies that are needing people really bad will usually hire and train you for free.

But in the oilfield most trucks are still manual because of having to drive down roads in very bad shape on leases, ranches, and in very remote areas in rain, low flood waters, washed out roads, dirt paths, etc
>>
>>35044709
Imagine a self driving truck trying to park and dock itself. Very unlikely. Might end up like aircraft: autopilot for most of the trip with a driver to monitor and park it.
>>
>>35046675
Same here brother. We should start an /r9k/ trucking business.
>>
>>35046572
>>35046555
how do you even get a cdl? what's the easiest way to do it?
>>
>>35045429
are you retarded? The general public will meaning it gets pushed back 20 years lol.
>>
>>35044682
>Tfw scared from driving because car crash PTSD
>>
>>35046721
by the way don't you have to be at least 21 to be a trucker?
>>
>>35046728
>trying to park
cars can already do it
you guys are so braindead you don't even realize what these cars can do already
>>
>>35046721
>But in the oilfield most trucks are still manual because of having to drive down roads in very bad shape on leases, ranches, and in very remote areas in rain, low flood waters, washed out roads, dirt paths, etc
what does that stuff have to do with the transmissions?
>>
>>35044682
I would do that but theres no way i could do it in a city or really crowded place
is there a way that you can be a trucker just for the country and open roads?
>>
>>35046758
just quit being a bitch about it and keep driving
>>
>>35046780
>>35046728
but those cars still reqiere a driver just incase so yeah
>>
>>35046791
You drive in lower gears than what an automatic would choose, stupid
>>
>>35046816
wouldn't the automatic automaticly choose a low gear?
they do in normal truck autos
>>
>>35046808
"Just be yourself bro, everything will work out :^)"
>t. Chad
>>
>>35046814
no they don't
those laws are being removed worldwide by any government with half a brain
>>
>>35046749
Easiest way? Look up *your state* cdl. Study from the ebook. Take their two written tests and get a cdl physical. Then go to an independent driving test business. You can bring your own truck and trailer or they may have one you can use. They'll be a vehicle inspection/safety check test, backing test, and driving test. Pass and you're good to go.
>>
>>35046555
I don't believe that.

There's tons of foreign truckers and the pay is PEANUTS.

Driving has just become another McJob.
>>
>>35046780
>parking a car with a single mass between 2 lines
>parking a large possibly deadly heavy weighted truck with a trailer that has variable contents and possible shifting weights not only between lines but perfectly in line with a dock without jack knifing while trying to avoid traffic that doesnt care about you needing to back up to pull into a lot
Youre silly friendo
>>
>>35046780
lol why are you people so butthurt. "wahhh, they dont believe self-driving trucks will be a thing, wahh!!"
kys retard.
>>
>>35046844
you don't need to be chad to drive a car
>>
>>35046867
Maybe for short local runs, but coast to coast and back? Forget it.

You don't have to believe it, it's the truth, so fuck yourself.
>>
WOW, LOOK AT ALL THESE SIMPLETONS.
technology is super advanced, wowow, self driving trucks will be here in a few months, dont believe me? go fuck yourself heh, good luck not having a job heh.
>>
>>35046862
wait seriously that's it?
i thought you had to spend months driving in a class
>>
>>35046925
>Not doing a simple and well paying job to save for either schooling or early retirement neet freedom
Shiggy
>>
>>35046945
self-driving trucks are gonna kill your family, stop denying the truth
>>
>>35046940
You do if you don't know how to drive. I got my CDL from studying and practicing independently. It's a fair amount of shit to remember, and the backing test isn't easy without experience.
>>
>>35046960
By that time i will have saved up enough to live the comfy neet life with little to no worry friendo.
>>
I have a trucker friend. He's working all the damn time time. Every time I talk with him, he's on the road. So, the hours really aren't bad if you don't want them to be? I always assumed the hours are hellish and disregarded the job. That, and I'm paranoid about blood clots.
>>
>>35046994
how do you plan on living the comfy neet life anyway?
original
>>
>>35046981
well i know how to drive a normal vehicle
how do you practice if you don't own a truck already? backing one of those up sounds extremly hard
>>
>>35047036
You go to school. I had an F550 and a fifth wheel trailer with enough space at my parent's house to practice backing into a bay at a 90 degree angle. Passed everything my first try.
>>
>>35047032
Modestly in a small but well maintained house on my own, doing small hobbies and shitposting for fun like I do in my off time. Have just enough saved up for early retirement, but working to store up alittle more for safety, cushioning, and self investments just in case. Trucking may become automated soon, yes. But fully automated without a need for human monitoring? Probably not soon given all the variables. Even most automated things with self-driving autopilot like trains and planes still need a driver to monitor them for safety sake. But by the time they start cutting jobs I will already be gone by my own will so it won't effect me much. Any trucker that only plans for the road but not their own future will be the ones that suffer.
>>
>>35046816
You can select gears in an automatic vehicle, you just don't have to deal with a clutch.
>>
>>35044879
Truckers are the assholes cutting people off.
>>
>>35046960
>he thinks I have a family to worry about
heh...

why haven't I killed myself yet
>>
>>35047070
Hows the school?
i have extremly high anxiety and usually panic attacks since i get nervous around others (i'm here for a reason)
>>
>>35047116
>like trains
wait a minute that just gave me a thought what's it like being a train conducter/driver i wonder
>>
>>35047116
how long do you think you would have to work?
and what would you invest in?
i'm already buying a cheap small house soon
>>
>>35047180
>tfw no 3 young children happy to see that daddy's home after a long run
>tfw no loyal and pregnant qt wife cooking your favorite meal and greeting to with a smooch
>ywn take jr into your lap and pretend-drive with him as he is amazed by the size and coolness of daddy's truck
These feels... I want to die alittle.
>>
>>35047288
>how long?
Depends on pay, hours, and company if you aren't independent
>investments?
Im not sure. I would mind becoming an entrepreneur or learning a trade if neetdom becomes too much.
Just be careful on choosing your land and house if youre budgeting to only buy one in your lifetime. Don't want to be stuck with one you come to hate.
>>
no and it sounds like a shit job oriniallyiano
>>
>>35047276
Not sure. I only drive a truck. Probably pretty neato though. Heard that being a pilot can be very high stress. Trains sound comfy af.
>>
>>35046675

You mean not in America where they don't give a fuck about fatigue and force you to drive dangerous amounts of hours? You mean somewhere you would actually get paid a decent amount of money and get ahead in life because you are protected by people who actually have your health, safety and financial interests in mind?

Poor you, you great big idiotic baby.
>>
>>35047319
these feels are impossible for me to understand because i wouldn't WANT a family if i were a long-distance trucker

i'd be constantly worried that my wife would be cucking me every day i'm gone
my kids would grow up with me constantly absent
sounds awful
>>
>>35044709
Eight years before those trucks are in service, maybe. However it will be a lot longer before the tech is trusted enough to be running them human-free.
>>
>>35047434
>disgruntled ex-trucker uses savings to learn code, hacking the new self driving trucks, causing chaos and destruction, fueling a distrusting in self automation, and gain his truck job back
>>
>>35047389
All good things for sure, but you don't understand how the Australian regulatory system works. Things go way past sensible to a point where it is often worse than they were in the first place.
>>
>>35044709
They need to figure out how to get them to merge onto highways. going to be a huge issue. Done some research. I am supply chain major.
>>
>>35044682
>think about becoming a trucker
>have pooping autism and bowel problems, required to poop at least 6 times per day with a total gamble on when it's going to be diarrhea for X reason again
>Also need a bidet to wash ass because by poop 4 my anus is bleeding if I have to use paper, or then risk having a poopy butt from not being able to wipe 100% clean
>mandatory sleeping breaks, completely unable to go to sleep anywhere outside my own bed
>sounds so very limited with how much km you're allowed to drive per day and other log books

Is it as bad as I think it is?
>>
Is it true that there are hookers at the truck stops? If I'm driving my car cross-country can I get a bj every couple of days at a truck stop?
>>
>>35047728
if you have that why don't you just get disability? you can't work
>>
>>35047750

yes, but you'd have to be nasty as fuck to be a truck stop hooker.
>>
>>35047750
they're usually men
>>
>>35045528
kek. you dont know anything
>>
so 2 things
1, stem autists: you aint gona see self driving trucks replacing truckers

they are fine between storage to storage, straight lines, highways
but lotsa destinations are in obsecure places, sharp turns, inside the city, wrong adress, and anything you can think of that needs a human to solve

its a horrible job for robots
you have to deal with operators, who are usually quite retarded and doesnt give a shit about you, leading you into dead ends, make timetables nobody can follow, bridges you cant go under, all sorts of things that will stress you out
you have to deal with storage staff, paperwork, driving hours, resting hours and other ppl in traffic
now if you lose your shit you gona kill someone since you are driving a chariot of death with many many tons of metal included

couple other things i forgot probably
for the safety of others, please dont become a truckdriver unless you are only driving on abandoned roads
>>
Got kina worse for me over time. At first I liked everywhere I went, then got sick of Northeast where many try to keep you even if you're from Texas. They send you home a few days a month.
Then even tho part of me still liked it and didn't want to pay rent, started to get even more snappy with snappy dispatch and other office ppl BC it felt like I was being bothered at home, esp for dry van, taking SOME shit is part of job, even for most owner operators.

Of course I have no choice BC of DWI, but I was ready for long break from trucking.
Hope to get back in it, gonna try flatbed where ppl u deliver to are Happy to see you more often.
>>
>>35044682
>Any other truckers on /r9k/? I make like 70k sitting on my ass by myself for 20-30 hours a week. Get to set my own hours, listen to music, podcasts, audiobooks, see the countryside. It's a job I think robots would like.

can you talk about how you got the job?
did you get a type A license independently? Or did you first apply to some logistics company who sponsored your Type A application? Are you independent or do you work for some company? Do you own the truck?
>>
>>35044709
They stop working when the weather isn't perfect, they can't drive in cities, they need perfect infrastructure that isn't even an idea in government's mind yet.
Also saying that trucker's job is about driving is like saying that policeman's job is about driving.
There will be self-driving trucks but with people inside them, just like airplanes function now.
Completely self driving trucks will become reality by the time all cars are self-driving, not only trucks, and by that time most labor job will probably be automated so something will have to be done.

STEM fags like this are worst shit ever I swear, more smug than NEETs on this board.
Your job will be automated too unless you're the top % of your kind.
>>
Guy who trained me came across ownership of truck, watched YouTube videos and passed CDL that way. U can rent truck for CDL test too but takes practice.
Most not somehow attached to industry have to train at some company that will train you most not the best but pay your dues for a year. Owner that trained me trained at Boyd brothers even with CDL and his own truck. But nearby truck training companies all in your face with ads, cr England was bad for me but ppls mileage differs. AHAHAHA
>>
>>35047828
>not wanting a lot lizard to split you open like a coconut.
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.