[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey I feel like I'm much more stable than most of the people

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: hs.jpg (11KB, 236x285px) Image search: [Google]
hs.jpg
11KB, 236x285px
hey

I feel like I'm much more stable than most of the people my age I know. Anxiety attacks, depression, klonopin, whatever.

I think it may be because I was raised religious, i.e. for a large part of my life I had some certainty of my place in the universe. I'm not that way any more, but the stability remains.

Does anyone else feel this way? If the correlation holds, is it a good reason to raise my (entirely hypothetical) children religious?
>>
What kind of religion were you raised in? Because I was raised catholic and I have more emotional problems than almost anybody I know.
>>
File: 1486712085617.png (274KB, 540x611px) Image search: [Google]
1486712085617.png
274KB, 540x611px
>>34943368
my nigga, I was raised Catholic too. that shit isn't healthy for a child.
>>
>>34943368
>>34943429
Catholic church fucks up when it says dogs dont go to heaven
>>
>>34943368
>>34943429
lol
yeah, OP here, I was Catholic.
maybe I'm just a stable person.
>>
Raised catholic and i was an anxious mess, constsntly walking on egg shells trying to avoid sky-daddy's disapproval
>>
File: 1484633340322.png (387KB, 286x567px) Image search: [Google]
1484633340322.png
387KB, 286x567px
>>34943451
>YOUR PUPPY IS A SOULLESS MONSTER!
>YOUR GAY AUNT WHO IS SUPER COOL AND ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT YOU IS GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL!
>GOD IS ALWAYS WATCHING, WAITING FOR YOU TO FUCK UP!
>SEXUAL THOUGHTS DESERVE SELF PUNISHMENT!
>PLAY OUTSIDE? NOT WHEN THERE ARE PRAYERS TO MEMORIZE!
>BE MORE LIKE THESE SAINTS WHO DIED IN GRUESOME WAYS TO PLEASE GOD!
>ANON YOU ACTED WEIRD AT CHURCH AGAIN, THE OTHER MOMS TALK ABOUT HOW YOU'RE NOT A CHILD OF GOD!

fuck Catholicism, I'm so serious, fuck it right up the cunt
>>
>>34943621
wow I didn't have it as bad as all that.
we had 'World Religions' class at my Catholic high school, for fuck's sake
>>
>>34943916
damn, I guess my school was a lot more traditional or something. we had to go to church erryday. I know my parents were just continuing a cycle they thought was good but it was definitely a contributing factor in making me a fucked up adult. doesn't help that I was a closet case.
>>
>>34943987
I can't imagine how bad that must have been. We only had mandatory Mass once a month. I guess I was pretty skeptical though it all, not much of a kool-aid guy.

I actually went to a really conservative Catholic college as well (a scholarship is a scholarship) and there were a couple of more or less openly gay guys, but they were always toeing the 'it's okay to be gay as long as you don't actually act on your undeniable physical needs' line.
>>
>>34944163
my opinion is that religion is something that takes a mature and higher-thinking mind to comprehend. when an adult finds religion, they are still able to think critically and can differentiate between the abstract and applicable concepts of the belief system. A child is just confused and wants to please adults, they don't understand their own lives on an existential level so religion just seems like a scary set of rules that make no sense. Children should not be indoctrinated into their parents religion, they should be free to choose as they get older and learn more about that stuff. Otherwise, they either become twisted, disillusioned losers like me or fat redneck vermin who have replaced all answers in life with "becuz jezuz"
>>
>>34944461
I think you're right, to a certain degree. The problem is, if the parent has accepted religion--one that has a heaven and hell, anyway--it becomes critically important to him that his child experiences eternal bliss instead of eternal torment.

A parent with religious convictions can NEVER raise his child secular, because it's better to indoctrinate a child, in his mind, than to risk the child's damnation.
>>
>>34944635
that is certainly the rub. It's just another one of those things in life you wish would be fixed, but it never will. like war in the middle east or attractive people getting special treatment. it's just the way things will always be.
>>
File: 1445606592329.jpg (22KB, 268x403px) Image search: [Google]
1445606592329.jpg
22KB, 268x403px
I feel like religion actually causes a lot of shit because if you have any sort of critical thinking as a child you start to actually rationally pick apart religion.

This of course is not how you do religion, and theres nothing wrong with it

But as a kid its like looking at it from the wrong direction and it makes being human more complicated

Once you are an adult you can reconcile these problems
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.