[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meme Analysis

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: classical greek pepe.png (103KB, 624x434px) Image search: [Google]
classical greek pepe.png
103KB, 624x434px
Hello fellow robots, I've been working on a way to better categorize memes, and I'd like to share my results with you

There are different ways of categorizing memes, one based on its origin, one on its nature. There are other ways, but this is what i found best

Origins. How it became a meme.
Forced: The ones that are forced from one person, and slowly more people convert to it. These rarely have much background. Such as Holeguy on /b/, or oval on /tv/
Adapted: Taken from somewhere, such as "Don't forget, you're here forever" taken from a Simpsons episode, or BANE! Being from TDKR.
Spontaneous: Things that just suddenly caught on, they are often because of some recent event. Examples are "Oh shit, we back?!" And Harambe

Nature. How the meme is used.
Absurd: Those with little reasoning behind them, mostly just randomity for the sake of it. Such as "VERY fast dog running at incredible hihg speed" or "Ayy lmao"
Communicative: Memes that are used to communicate something. Such as "DELET THIS" or reaction images.
Reflective: These usually take to mocking something, like the Loss memes all mock a single strip, but can also reflect on a situation, like mom's spaghetti
Comparative: comparing two things. Many verbal memes fall into this, like calling someone autistic, or cuck. Kek is another example, as the ancient god is compared to modern meme culture.

1/2
>>
It's important to remember that most memes do not fit into only one category, so the above reasoning only points out which is the dominant part of it.

If you'd take the meme BANE!, as mentioned above, it's an adapted meme. But it also needed time for it to grow, and did not appear as soon as the movie was released, hence it's mostly adapted, but also forced.
As for its nature, it is based on reflecting on how awkward the intro scene seems, but it's also somewhat absurd. So it's a Adapted-forced/Reflective-absurd meme. Or just Adapted-Reflective.

One should also note that there can be a difference between a meme's core idea, and how it is used sometimes.

For example Pepe the frog started out as an adapted-communicative meme, but when people started using it in context of gore and racism it became a forced-comparative meme.

Similarly, there's a difference between "cuck" the insult (forced-comparative), and the idea of being cucked (adapted-reflective).

So you see how memes of complex nature can be explained in several different ways.

What do you guys think of my meme analysis? Does it need work? Feedback?

2/2
>>
File: image.jpg (258KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258KB, 1000x625px
Tfw you realize that eventually Grad students will be writing their thesis on meme theories

All hope is lost
>>
>>34935436
Human beings thrive on understanding.
And understanding can only be achieved if one picks things apart to examine it

What's wrong with that?
>>
File: 1472488354689.png (12KB, 679x453px) Image search: [Google]
1472488354689.png
12KB, 679x453px
Can you do a dissection on gondola?
>>
>>34935562

Personally, I don't like how internet culture is normalized.
Pre-2010, no one knew what a meme was. Pre-2008, rules 1&2 prevailed. Now, television is trying to copy the Internet. Normies caught on and now I can't even talk to my friends without them showing me some stupid shit on their phone that's been on the Internet for months already.
Not trying to sound like an elitist, I just miss the good ol days when people didn't take credit for memes they created. Look at all the watermarks these days, it speaks for itself.

There was more anonymity. It was encouraged. Nowadays everyone wants to be a "meme admin"
>>
>>34935719
I don't know much about that guy, sorry.
But it started out with the depictions of amerifats with that weird bear face, didn't it?
That sounds like an adapted meme to me, probably some force in it as well.

And its nature seems to be absurd.

The amerifat depiction however, i think would be more forced-reflective/comparative

Since i haven't payed much attention to it, i'd be happy if you could give me a rundown

>>34935732
I know there's some shit with it, but it's inevitable. Memes are IMO just a more elaborated inside-joke mixed with traveling tales.
Everything must either be documented, or forgotten

As for your nostalgia, i understand it, i do. It is weird seeing something change nature like this, but what can you do?
I guess all you can do is stick to non-normie memes
>>
>I guess all you can do is stick to non-normie memes

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Meme analysis is okay in a way. I once tried explaining to my friends that "dicks out for harambe" had racist origins but they didn't understand.

I guess your doing necessary work, fucking idiots need this shit to be explained to them
>>
>>34936000
>I don't understand what you're trying to say.
I just meant that if you don't like memes being normalized, you could stick to memes that are still not out in the open

As for "Dicks out for Harambe" being racist, i don't see how.
It's a meme that came from one guy that tweeted "We coming with them dicks out to avenge Harambe". Just an absurd thing to say in response to his death
And it's not like the Harambe meme in the first place is related to racism.
>>
>>34936143

People were upset that harambe was shot and not the little black boy where the fuck were you Mrs. Meme Queen
>>
>>34936170
You're implying that they would've cared more if the kid was white, which i don't think they would.
The meme is about Harambe's death, many people said he could've been tranq'd (no he couldn't) instead, which made some feel like it was a death that could've been avoided.

It's not automatically racist, just because a black person is involved in a negative way
>>
>>34936279

They wouldn't have cared more, I never implied that

I simply said they would rather have the black boy shot than the gorilla, nice extrapolations
>>
>>34936339
Well i haven't seen anyone saying that -because- he's black
All i've seen is people saying that because "he's the one stupid enough to fall in there".
It's still dumb, but just a joke, and personally i haven't seen anyone put racism to it, and just because some you know do, doesn't mean the whole meme is racist, or has racist background
>>
>>34936413

Lol okay professor whatever you say, obviously you're the expert in your field

I'm guessing your homepage is know your memes
>>
>>34936568
No, i'm not saying this because of memes.
I'm saying "it doesn't have to be about race" because i personally haven't seen anything about that. You're the one that seems to be making it about race

Besides, isn't it kind'a dumb to care about the Harambe meme but still complain about normalized memes?
It's the most normalized one of 2016
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.