[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

there is literally nothing wrong with hedonism

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: 345778.jpg (43KB, 470x260px) Image search: [Google]
345778.jpg
43KB, 470x260px
there is literally nothing wrong with hedonism
>>
>>34911372
True. As a personal ideology. Maximizing pleasure and minimizing suffering is all that is necessary of an individual life. It's not the goal of life in general, there is none, but it's a decent replacement.
>>
>>34911410
B-but muh collective, muh moralism, muh ur a degenerate
>>
>>34911372
Hedonism is simply a perpetuation of meaningless suffering.
>>
>>34911573
It's the exact opposite actually. A perpetuation of meaningful pleasure.
>>
>>34911599
It is an existence spent trying to avoid existence, which is what pleasure is. Any meaning in this, is impossible, as the true hedonist simply commits suicide.
>>
>>34911631
Not many are able to commit suicide. Second best option is to avoid being miserable for your natural lifespan.
>>
>>34911631
pleasure isn't the avoidance of existence, it's the indulgence in it.
>>
>>34911657
I disagree.

>>34911662
What are the things that a pleasurable? It is the things that take you away from conscious existance(which is thought) and reduce you to sensuality.
>>
>>34911683
Being miserable has no meaning to me. It's just feeling bad. Feeling negative for years isn't a life worth living. Feeling good is a life barely worth the effort of living. Avoiding suffering is the best solution. Nothing is gained from pain. Very little is lost from suicide. But prolinging a life of meaningless pleasure allows for some happiness in the chaos of existence.
>>
>>34911683
There is only consciousness. Thoughts and senses are all the same to it.
>>
>>34911747
The only way to avoid suffering is to die. The only way to close the wound in your soul is to embrace suffering and remove the power it holds over you, through dissociation. In other words, abstracting it.

>>34911778
You are mistaken. Consciousness is dependent on thought.
>>
>>34911372
Literally any philosophy and doctrine can be criticised. Hedonism is no exception. Hedonism is unimaginitive, nihilistic, boring and conducive only to the most unflattering and dishonorable characteristics someone could attain. Hedonism is the death of values, the extinction of principles.
>>
>>34911826
>Consciousness is dependent on thought
citation needed

Read some shit on meditation, dude.
>>
>>34911826
I will never embrace being miserable. There is no ridding yourself if suffering while alive, true. You can only have a net positive life. But wallowing in misery is pointless, and acceoting it is meaningless. Ignoring it is the only solution. Life is forced upon unwitting victims and many cannot reject their existence just to escape suffering. Telling someone to die is also pointless.
>>
>>34911876
Go ahead and share all those memories you have of being an infant.
>>
>>34911835
>Hedonism is unimaginitive, nihilistic, boring and conducive only to the most unflattering and dishonorable characteristics someone could attain. Hedonism is the death of values, the extinction of principles.
why should these buzzwords mean anything to me?
>>
>>34911890
>brain development = thought
i could think of nothing right now and still be conscious
>>
>>34911884
>being miserable

That is the fate of the hedonist. Desperation, impotence, weariness, despair and suicide.
>>
>>34911901
You don't understand what it means to be conscious. The reason you cannot remember anything from being an infant is because the faculties of thought weren't developed. You had no sense of self.
>>
>>34911942
>The reason you cannot remember anything from being an infant is because the faculties of thought weren't developed. You had no sense of self.
yet here I am meditating and not thinking, experiencing pleasure while thinking and so on.
the connections you make are axiomatic and baseless.
>>
>>34911968
>here I am not thinking

that much is apparent.
>>
>>34911980
>le bald british philosopher guy meme
>>
>>34911917
I don't believe you. If you lower the bar far enough, you don't need much pleasure to stay happy. I exist to see interesting things and to do what I want during my free time. I have already gotten over my existential crisis telling me to be more important. I could exist for eternity happily based on th chance to see the milky way and andromeda galaxies collide. And I have already seen more interesting things I wasn't expecting, like Trump being elected. I am having a blast living and I don't even do anything but play video games. Theres no way you can predict that I will fall into despair from the pointlessness of existence, if I find anything not painful to be pleasurable and worth enduring the pain I cannot escape for.
>>
>>34912004
Well that is what I predict for you. Maybe you will show that I was wrong.
>>
>>34911892

That's where you post your counterargument, dumbass.
>>
>>34912029
>unimaginitive
so what? imaginativeness is irrelevant to the philosophical value of something
>nihilistic
so, true?
>boring
see unimaginative
>unflattering, dishonorable, death of values
literally moralistic buzzwords
>the extinction of principles
hedonism is the ultimate principle

also look into epicureanism: hedonism =/= eating food, having sex and not caring about anything
>>
>>34911892
literally integral to all human social law, since before the invention of writing and legal code, and having a rich genealogy in the history of empires since the greeks
>>
>>34911545
one thing is to manipulate the world in order to achieve pleasure, one other is allow the world to manipulate you blackmailing you with the promise of pleasure
>>
>>34911835
>tl;dr I'm a bitter virgin who is angry that everyone is having sex but me
>>
>>34912092
>also look into epicureanism: hedonism =/= eating food, having sex and not caring about anything

The problem with this attempt to cover all bases, is that it basically translates to "it is whatever I say it is in any given situation" and so doesn't have much utility outside of 'winning' arguments.
>>
>>34912148
I think it is just a more truthful and efective way of going through life as it gets rid of all the silly pretenses, but I see your point. No one really knows how to achieve epicurean hedone.
>>
Never liked hedonism. Always tried to live life as a free spirit. As Nietzsche said, "the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment is to live dangerously! Build your cities on the slopes of Vesuvius! Send your ships into unexplored seas! Live in war with your equals and yourselves!" I only wish to overcome myself.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.