[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military or College?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: student_military2.jpg (25KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
student_military2.jpg
25KB, 425x282px
I finish high school this year, and was looking for some advice.

The way I see it, I can either go through college and end up thousands of dollars in debt, or join the military and risk being miserable for 4-6 years.
>>
>>34877320
Military is the better option for Americucks.

College life is also not all it's cracked up to be and I was pretty miserable in college. If you want you can go to college after a stint in the military and have your tuition paid for through the GI bill. That being said military is a dangerous occupation so be aware of the risks either way.
>>
>>34877320
If you serve/commit long enough, they'll pay for your skewl.
>>
>>34877447

>military is a dangerous occupation

Are you fucking kidding me? Unless you're a grunt in the marines, you're safer than your average welder.

I went to college and it was the most retarded and expensive mistake I ever made. Wish I'd gone into the military.
>>
>>34877502
It's more dangerous than being an accountant, that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azkFz1ZbXyU
>>
What branch would you want to join OP?

I want to do Air Force instead of college. It's not like I couldn't handle university, I'd just rather not be in so much debt. Plus being in the military would force me to stay /fit/. But my parents think its stupid to join.
>>
Join the military and use your GI bill to attend college.
>>
>>34877320
Paycheck is no good if ur dead lol.
>>
Why not both? The military will generally pay for college, provided you're willing to put in the time.

It's not bad option, when you get down to it. I'm actually on the fence about joining the Navy to pay off school.
>>
>>34877320
want honest advice? go military for GI bill, then use the GI bill to go to a part 141 school (might be at a college) for aviation

take advantage of that free 86k or so
>>
Y not both?
>college grad in military
>>
Op if you can get a 4 year degree do that first, having that under your belt will get you into officer selection straight away which means you have some agency to which branch you end up in, better pay and better assignments. Alternatively you can enlist and end up doing bitch work for the commissioned ranks for 4-6 years while praying your gi bill lands you a useful career after your ets. If I could change anything about my military career that would be it
>>
Just don't go army ever. It sounds nice because you get to choose your job but what actually happens is you end up spending 90% of your time on dumb regulation mandated tasks such as layouts (taking things you never see or use out of a conex, confirming them and putting them back in, sharp/eo briefs, vehicle maintenance (mainly consists of filling out 5988s and dispatch forms), and true menial labor like shoveling snow or mopping floors you mopped the day prior.

Day to day life in the army is absolute garbage. That said, the benefits are so good that I do not regret enlisting. I'm gonna get free eye surgery, will likely have 50k$ saved (no bonus) by the end of my 3 years, and have learned a lot about various skills.

What I'm trying to get at is unless you're confident about going ranger/sf join another branch. Like the Air Force, who get paid more, have better facilities, actually do their job, and can move out of the barracks as a single e4.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1487087510554.jpg (31KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1487087510554.jpg
31KB, 960x539px
I am a submariner in the Navy. It is pretty cool. If you have any questions, I am here.
>>
File: 1479511766664.jpg (40KB, 535x577px) Image search: [Google]
1479511766664.jpg
40KB, 535x577px
>>34877830
>wanted to join the Air Force
>red/green colorblind
>have to take the college debt

I don't know if I'd be proficient in any other branch.
>>
>>34878596
Oh and if you do enlist BE PATIENT FOR A BONUS. 100% at least for the army you can easily get a bonus of at least 10k (maybe 6k after taxes) which is quite significant. If you score well on the asvab the army needs you more than you need it. Do not take the first contract you are offered without a bonus and court other branches. Even if it feels super shitty to do so. I know I felt like my recruiter was a bro and that impacted my decision making. That is what they want.
>>
>>34878765
Yeah, no matter what branch you join. You hold all the cards. They will try to give you a shitty deal. They will lie to you. They will say there are no jobs in X category of expertise when there are. If you are a clean cut person with a good ASVAB and you start walking out that door, they will get on their knees and do want you want for the most part. I fucked up and was sent to nuke school. Don't end up like that.
>>
>>34877447
>I was pretty miserable in college

Agreed. College is like an amusement park for normals, a fun place where you can fuck around consequence-free and most of all designed to suck as much money from you as possible. If you're an introvert its pretty much just a horrible time.
>>
>>34877320

It's like college offers money to people with skills above the rest. Like an academic or athletic skill.....
>>
>>34878861
>nuke school
Is that as rad as it sounds (no pun intended)?
>>
>>34879119
It is the hardest program in the Navy to become a nuclear engineer. People kill themselves every month.
>>
>>34878976
Yeah, but now even the most menial jobs are requiring it to have your application just considered
Not really sure why but its lead to a ton of unacademic/unathletic students with extrene debt
>>
>>34877320
I am currently in college, trying again after I failed the first time, and I regret not doing military first.

I just don't think I was mature enough for college the first time around. Enlist and do your four or five years, then you can go to college for free and you will be at an age where you are actually ready for it.
>>
>>34879212
This is probably a stupid question but cant you 'drop out'?
Not of the Navy of course but they must be able to retrain someone unable to complete the program in an easier program.

Or does dropping out of the program put you on the lowest rung immediately?
>>
>>34878694
I know a guy who got a waiver for that. Did you try that route?
>>
>>34879212

How the fuck does anyone pass nuke school? I hear its insanely difficult
>>
>>34879317
I hadn't considered that. What was the process?
>>
>no medical issues
>left eye slightly stronger than right
>never taken drugs
>fear of heights
>constantly bite nails
>social introvert
>decent at running
>medicure upperbody
>think I'm good with authority
>good with maths/science
>no criminal record

Would the AF want me?
Im 22 with college debt (20k) but no plans for my future.
>>
>>34879520

sounds like me except, i dont bite my nails much, and im bad at science and math

also im 26
>>
>>34878661
Is it as gay as I hear?
>>
>>34879516
The only action you can do in this is ask your recruiter to get one processed for you. After that doctors evaluate it. The doctors' decision is final.

Also, your recruiter has to be willing to do it for you. If he isn't, you'd better start finding one who will because you can't initiate the process on your own. Since you wanted to go AF, your ass is grass because the make their recruiting numbers well enough recruiters would rather deal ONLY with those physically and mentally perfect because they can afford to.
>>
>>34877320
Join the national guard and do both OP.
A few months away from home to do basic training and ait, then your obligation is one weekend a month and two weeks a year. Your college will be paid for by the GI bill during your time in the military.
Do a job in the military that would complement your major
Really the best way to go for doing college.
>>
>>34877320
Dropout Anon here.
I found a program that gets you a diploma.

I work fulltime at a factory
Should I get my diploma then enlist then kill myself? or just cut out the middle man?
>>
File: received_10210445303303371.jpg (20KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
received_10210445303303371.jpg
20KB, 384x288px
>>34879561
It is some cool as hardcore shit. They are allowing enlisted Stacey's on subs now though which triggers me.
>>
>>34879661
Yeah, I am an IT on submarines and I will have an associates degree and a full ride pretty much when I get out with certifications.
>>
>>34879485
>>34879485
It is so miserable man. Especially as an insecure robot. R9k kept me alive there. People do pass it. It helps to have near photographic memory.
>>
>>34879520
The 20k can be a deal breaker, especially if you require a clearance for the job you want. Airforce does a fuck ton of intelligence gathering, so clearances abound.
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 376x278px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 376x278px
>>34877320
College

My friend joined the army and wishes he was dead, he's a raging alcoholic when he gets to drink. It didn't help that half his platoon got blown up and so he's crippled with PTSD. He always says he wishes he chose college. If you are unsure, do college. Only go military if you are 200% sure... Which you're not.
>>
>>34877320
if fresh out of HS do a 2 year at a community college, get something in the stem fields (programming, IT, cybersecurity, electronics, welding/auto, math, nursing, lab tech, ect). you want to pick a two year that they will put you in a similar position to get experience and you will start out at a higher rank/pay. sign up for 4 years and do online school for a bachelors on their dime. pay off student loans ASAP.
youll probably end up coming out of the military with 4 years of experience in your field, a bachelors degree, DoD clearance, military background which is desired by any employeer and will be debt free with a large amount of savings to live off while finding desired position (probably start off in 50-80k position a year depending on location).

really what i wish i did this, my life didnt even really start until i was 24. i spent alot of that time in a drunken stupper between jobs and playing MMO's 12hours a day
>>
>>34879309
It is a complicated matter. I failed out on good terms and changed jobs to be a submarine IT. If you get masted (non judicial punishment) you are mostly likely kicked out becoming a glorified janitor on a cruiser. A lot of it depends if you volunteered for subs when you are in meps. Surface fucking sucks for the most part.
>>
>>34880026
The majority of the military are jobs in engineering, it, communications, medicine, logistics, navigation, machinery, etc. You don't have to be a fucking grunt to reap the benefits of service.
>>
Sure go ahead and be cannon fodder. Even if you join the National Guard, the chances of being deployed overseas are quite high, especially with the current retard in charge. National Guard troops were deployed in Iraq during the Iraq War and it can easily happen again.

Assuming you aren't just itching to kill sand niggers, you're far better off working and going to a 2 year college to start out, then transfer to a cheap 4 year college. University names do not carry any weight on your resume. Only your connections and job experiences count.
>>
Which branch is most fucked in ww3? I vote navy, bunch of sitting ducks waiting to get missile spammed. Marines second, army third, air force bases only lose after everyone else does
>>
>>34880210
Unless you are a submariner. Which I am. American submarines are hard as shit to detect.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.