[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

suicidefags are disgusting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: chesterton.jpg (157KB, 582x718px) Image search: [Google]
chesterton.jpg
157KB, 582x718px
>The man who kills a man, kills a man.

>The man who kills himself, kills all men; as far as he is concerned he wipes out the world. His act is worse (symbolically considered) than any rape or dynamite outrage. For it destroys all buildings: it insults all women. The thief is satisfied with diamonds; but the suicide is not: that is his crime. He cannot be bribed, even by the blazing stones of the Celestial City. The thief compliments the things he steals, if not the owner of them. But the suicide insults everything on earth by not stealing it. He defiles every flower by refusing to live for its sake. There is not a tiny creature in the cosmos at whom his death is not a sneer. When a man hangs himself on a tree, the leaves might fall off in anger and the birds fly away in fury: for each has received a personal affront."..."The man's crime is different from other crimes -- for it makes even crimes impossible.
>>
Life is not special, nor worth living.
>>
>>34864145
superb bait

however I would like to point of how fucking sensitive the person who wrote that must have been. being insulted by someone kiling themselves. takes a special kind of weak
>>
>>34864359
Desu you're simply too uneducated. He has superseded the level of subjectivity you are on. Symbolic analysis takes place at a higher level of objectivity than that. To phrase it more simply, he is looking at suicide from a larger perspective than you.
>>
File: 1476633695075.jpg (1MB, 4030x4096px) Image search: [Google]
1476633695075.jpg
1MB, 4030x4096px
>The man who kills himself, kills all men; as far as he is concerned he wipes out the world.
Yeah, so?
>>
>>34864430
>he still cares about the "larger perspective"
kill all men
>>
>>34864145
Why do normies get so butt ravaged by the thought of suicide?

It's almost like they secretly envy those who can take their own life.
>>
The only thing that keeps me going is the thought that maybe there's something worth dying for out there
>>
>>34864145
I like this, one more reason to kill myself.
>>
The person who wrote this had money, social status and a lot of casual sex. So it's not surprising he has no idea what he's talking about. You need to be deprived of all these things for a prolonged period of time to understand why people kill themselves.
>>
>>34864546
Why do you care what normies think? If you're going to commit suicide, then their opinions didn't stop you anyway, and if you're not going to then there's no reason to be upset. It's only if you've tried and failed that you would be upset. So? Did you try to commit suicide and fail?
>>
>>34864145
>>34864430
Well he is wrong. Suicide isn't a rejection of all life, it is a rejection your life specifically.

You are not saying "under no circumstances is life worth living" you are saying "under these circumstances is life not worth living".
>>
>>34864145
>The thief is satisfied with diamonds; but the suicide is not: that is his crime. He cannot be bribed

I could be bribed by a bf (gay), but that will never happen. I like Chesterton though, The Man Who Was Thursday is my favorite book.
>>
>>34864654
I'm not suicidal. I just think that if someone wants to die then that's their choice, they didn't choose to be born after all.
>>
>>34864597
>casual sex
What are you talking about? Chesterton at 27 married a woman five years older than him. No record of any infidelity or extra-marital sex exists.
>>
>>34864710
It is their choice, and it is our choice to say that that their choice is a most grievous insult. Do you have a point?
>>
>>34864776
No I'm just wondering why normies think that if it isn't envy
>>
>>34864597
>casual sex

Disgusting, you're a failed normie if you want such a thing
>>
>>34864757
He's a retarded murryfat that thinks everyone who ever existed and was happy must be the average degenerate American Chad

>>34864688
Not necessarily, it can be a rejection of life in general too in some cases.
>>
>>34864776
Like why do you feel insulted by it?

They simply want their pain to stop, it's not done as an insult.
>>
>GK Chesterton
>High Anglican
>Catholic

Top kek. You can't get more pretentious than this. That ENTIRE paragraph says the same thing - that suicide is somehow a 'crime' because the person who kills himself refuses life. The entire thing is lacking in even the most basic level of empathy or consideration of what other people must be going through to make that choice.

He's acting just like Job's friends, accusing him of all sorts of misdeeds from a position of apparent safety.

What he says also reduces murder and rape to nothing and makes an absurdity of the idea that it's wrong to harm others. If you kill another man who wants to live, you're inflicting suffering and death on someone who clearly doesn't want it - a completely different thing to killing someone who does want it, let along killing yourself.
>>
>>34864931

>tfw used to be suicidal because i feel like nothing will ever satisfy me no matter how good things are

is that rejection of life? what makes it so much worse than rejection of just your own life?
>>
nice pseudo-philosophy
>>
>>34864931
>it can be a rejection of life in general too

That would require general knowledge of life, but all a person can have is specific knowledge of their life. Anything beyond that is speculation.
>>
>>34865111
Yes, it si rejection of life

>>34865147
See:
>>34865111
>>
>>34864145

This had the opposite affect OP. This makes suicide cool and motivational.
>>
>>34865331
>See:
>>34865111

What is there for me to see?
>>
>>34864145
This whole thing implies life has some post-abrahamic meaning and that death is some evil thing meant to be stopped. But ever Wave-crest is followed by a trough. And thinking it any other way is 100% subjective wishful thinking.

>>34864430

>He has superseded the level of subjectivity you are on.
>even by the blazing stones of the Celestial City.
He's clearly a christfag which means nothing he says about the meaning of life has any level of objectivity to it. He in fact looks at suicide if not life itself on a smaller perspective than me because death is a part of life.
>>
>>34864145
like totally deep duuude
mirrors arent real if eyes arent xdddddd
>>
>>34864145
The only problem with this lies in the idea that the individual does not appreciate the world around them. The individual kills himself because these 'flowers' or 'diamonds' can be synonymous with every day people; every day people that make the suicidal person feel the way he does. Perhaps through bullying or something else, the person kills himself because the environment he is in is incompatible. The systematic problem is targeted when he kills himself; the world. The very world that hinders their happiness and content. The very world that has brought them to this low. The very world they no longer wish to be part of.
>>
>>34864546
Think about it in terms of evolution

The more human contact you have, the more evolutionarily successful you are, in general. So, normies are disgusted by suicide so that the more socially isolated you are, the more likely you are to remove yourself from the gene pool.
>>
>>34865644
To clarify, what I mean by this is that if you have no friends to dissuade you, you are more likely to commit suicide.
>>
File: 1243243245.png (392KB, 417x741px) Image search: [Google]
1243243245.png
392KB, 417x741px
>>34864145
This is the most autistic thing I've ever read
Just look at that faggot, if he was born today he'd be the equivalent of pic related.
>>
>>34864430
>He has superseded the level of subjectivity you are on
Which makes him an idiot and a failure as a philosopher. He's ignored the single common thread among philosophy and substituted it with his ego.

Absolute pleb tier taste in philosophers.
>>
>>34864145
Nice try /lit/, now fuck off with your cringey pretentious brain farts
Ohhh hurr durr if you kill yourself you offend an INDIFFERENT FUCKING UNIVERSE IN WHICH HUMANITY IS A SHITSTAIN
>>
>>34864145
Suicide is worse than murder or even pedos
>>
>>34864145
>being this retarded
Weww
>>
I'd like to say that anyone with a successful, prosperous life, even if they have 150+ IQ has absolutely no weight when discussing the merits of suicide and depression.

They don't know true suffering, they will never get the feeling of being a completely worthless human being with no future.
>>
>>34865923
Seeing as you talk about success as if it's something objective I think your opinion doesn't hold any weight
>>
>>34865913
You?

Yes, you are indeed.
>>
>>34865951
In my situation, I'd consider anyone with a decently paying job a complete success in life.

That's how fucking dire my situation is.
>>
>>34865982
That's obviously bullshit since there are depressed millionairea out there
>>
>>34866013
They have money
They have people who love and care about them
They've probably had sex a million times

They don't know depression on a fundamental level, end of story.
>>
>>34864776
If they are willing to insult you and everything about life itself at their own expense, still, why would you care? You don't get buttblasted by people baiting you on 4chan, and the person committing suicide is in a much greater deal of suffering than you, yet all you give a shit about is that they insulted you by dying? That's narcissistic as fuck, m8.
>>
>>34864145

When did people on 4chan get into the habit of quoting this guy as some moral authority just because he's eloquent.

Like I get it, Chesterton has an authoritative writing style. If you had two brain cells you could see that there is zero logical argument underneath it.

>The man who kills himself, kills all men; as far as he is concerned he wipes out the world.

Claim is substantiated nowhere in the passage. Further, it equates the subjective loss of perception of the universe with the universe actually ceasing to exist, or at least implies that this should be the case "as far as he the guy committing suicide is concerned," which is just gob-smackingly dumb. Like dumb, dumb, dumb. If you didn't catch that basic category error, congratulations, you're easily bamboozled by rhetorical pyrotechnics.

> He cannot be bribed, even by the blazing stones of the Celestial City.

On its own, this is a good thing by almost any moral calculus. Virtually every moral system ever developed, whether Christian, Jewish, Hindu or what have you, considers venality either a sin or an undesirable trait. His claim here is completely unsupported, and if he did bother to support it, he'd have almost no morally authoritative texts to base it on, because virtually every moral system is against venality, which is the very essence of corruption.

> His act is worse (symbolically considered) than any rape or dynamite outrage. For it destroys all buildings: it insults all women... But the suicide insults everything on earth by not stealing it. He defiles every flower by refusing to live for its sake. There is not a tiny creature in the cosmos at whom his death is not a sneer.

Again, category error: to insult or devalue something isn't the same as to kill it. Chesterton may be correct that a suicidal person doesn't value things much, but the conclusion that this is morally equivalent to destroying those things is unsubstantiated and demonstrably wrong.
>>
>>34865099

I'm the guy who wrote the logical breakdown of why Chesterton is wrong above.

I just read your post and I realized that, yes, in addition to using horrible logic, Chesterton also comes across a bit selfish and unempathetic here. He's being inconsiderate of the extent to which other people have suffered, and claims to be able to generalize about that which he has no experience with (if he wrote this as a recovering suicidal person maybe he'd have a leg to stand on, but I don't think he was ever suicidal, so he's just some lucky prick claiming that earthworms and piles of cow shit are worth living for because he doesn't know what it's like to have nothing BUT that.

The 'killing yourself is like killing the universe' thing also strikes me as the words of a very immature person. If you think killing yourself is like killing everybody else on earth, that suggests you don't have theory of mind, i.e. don't see other people as 'real' beyond your perceptions of them. All children go through a stage of this, but I don't think a grown man should run around moralizing if he hasn't grown past it.
>>
>>34864145

That's an interesting angle, never thought of it that way. Makes the thought of suicide feel even better.
>>
>>34864145
blah bIah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
This is all i can read from OP's post
>>
>>34864430
He's an overly sensitive permavirgin and so are you. Kill yourself
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.