[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people think legalizing drugs will reduce crime/make

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

File: 1478998170591.png (924KB, 826x1282px) Image search: [Google]
1478998170591.png
924KB, 826x1282px
Why do people think legalizing drugs will reduce crime/make bad guys go away?
>>
The crime rate is 0 if everything is legal my dude.
>>
>>34854751
>get arrested for drugs
>get conviction
>can't work because of said convection
>guess I'll sell drugs again
>>
well legalizing drug use across the board would have an impact on the prison population
>>
Because in areas where drugs have been legalised, crime has been reduced.
>>
>>34854751
>make drugs legal
>regulate them
>their prices go down by a lot
>criminals have to give up on selling drugs

It's not hard

Higher distribution lower prices
Lower distribution higher prices

If bread was made illegal it would cost much much more than what it costs right now
>>
>>34854776
And the chaos is 100%
>>
>>34854751
Drugs go hand in hand with reduced mental abilities

It's not a mystery why the non drug users tell you drug users your ideas are shit, it's not some conspiracy just common sense you lack thanks to fucking your gray matter up.
>>
>>34854818
>Hi, I have no understanding of economics!
>>
>>34854751
>Legalize drugs
>Drugs now no longer illegal
>Can't get prosecuted for legal shit
>Crime goes away

Pretty self explanatory senpai.
>>
The violent organizations that profit from the sale of illicit drugs would have their profits cut off because why would you buy shit on the street when you can just go to a corner store and buy it.
>>
>>34854751
They do? I just want to be able to walk to the store and get some top shelf shatter.
>>
>>34854848
Not an argument skippy
>>
>>34854751
It's important to recognize a difference between legalizing drugs and decriminalization

There's a big push, not for just straight up legalizing all drugs, keeping them illegal, but decriminalizing the use of them as to focus on rehabilitating addicts instead of just punishing them by throwing them in jail. And it makes sense, getting 40 years in prison for having some weed is fucked up.

The "War on drugs" is largely considered a failure, and one of the biggest reason why america has such a problem with prisons, why we by far imprison the most amount of people and spend an ungodly amount locking people up compared to every other country.
>>
File: 1446263506229.png (1MB, 1277x719px) Image search: [Google]
1446263506229.png
1MB, 1277x719px
How many street gangs are blowing each other away over alcohol turf?
>>
>>34854957
>muh prison problem

If people would have the common fucking sense to not use drugs, we wouldn't have the prison population we do today. It's NOT our fault they voluntarily chose to break the law.
>>
it will take money away from the cartels and gangs, which is good, but heroin and meth addicts are going to keep stealing and committing crime to get their hit.
>>
>>34854751
>Most people don't want to go to organized criminals in order to get their fix. They're willing to be taxed if the Government will legitimize their vices
>Legitimate business pushes down the prices of the substance through free market. Organized crime means that a substance comes at a price premium due to the risk they're taking, as well as people not talking to other dealers/vendors, giving them a virtual monopoly due to connections.
>The less potential profit they have, the less organized crime occurs.

Typically this means that "bad guys" will move on to other, more obscure/less desirable substances which reduces their footprint on the local populace. Not that I think the State should be supporting harmful substances, but a Gov-controlled vendor would be objectively better than the current gangs who control illicit substances
>>
>>34855028
Drugs are fun, anon. You're just a faggot.
>>
>>34854751
>think

It's not a belief it has been proven to work all over the world.

The opposite is also true, just look at prohibition in 1920s America. Organized crime at the time was almost entirely based on smuggling alcohol through Mexico and Canada, running underground bars, and homebrew operations.

Most of that prohibition slang is still used today without us even thinking about its origins: bootleg, homebrew, etc.
>>
>>34855064
>Legitimate business pushes down the prices of the substance through free market

until the government starts taxing the shit out of it, just like they did with tobacco.
>>
>>34854818
>>regulate them
>>their prices go down by a lot
>hurr durr what's an economics
>>
>>34855028
>It's NOT our fault they voluntarily chose to break the law.

but tough titties, you're still the one paying taxes to keep them in jail over a victimless "crime".

It would be win-win to not have potheads soaking up taxpayers' money while having them come back into society and earn a living for themselves by probably picking tomatoes in California after Trump deports all the muslim mexicans.
>>
>>34855078
You're literally that "cool" douchebag they show in anti-drug commercials. Who ultimately proves that he's the true fool in the end.
>>
>>34854940
>drug is legalized
>drug is taxed and sold
>unauthorized dealers sell at MSRP or lower, with no sales tax
You'll never undersell criminals
>>
>>34855142
>believes everything he sees on TV
wew lad take a puff
>>
>>34855085
And that's why you see people from NJ smuggling dozens of cartons into NY where the taxes are unreasonable. Crime is now more valuable.

Unfortunately, tobacco smoking is a real public health concern, and it's in the State's interest to keep a healthy populace.
>>
>>34855177
>I'm so stupid all I can do is spout memes and call people faggots

You should not puff so much. It's bad for your braincells.
>>
>>34855191
if they legalized and taxed something like heroin, that will be just as much of a public health concern as tobacco
>>
>>34855085
Tobacco is a meme drug anyways, it deserves to be taxed.

It's also subsidized as a crop.

If things really were a free market with fair drug laws, no one would be smoking tobacco and it would cost an arm and a leg after the demand and supply go tits up.
>>
>>34854802
Right. When you make a thing that people are going to want regardless of legality illegal, you then push the sale of said thing in to the black market. Black market doesn't abide by trade rules, involves smuggling, extortion, blackmail, child labour, turf wars over sales territory. With all of those you get the associated robbery, assault, restricted and prohibited weapons, murder, murder, murder.

When legal, a drug is subject to all of the trade rules and sellers must abide by them or lose their business licenses. If you lose your business license, you lose access to your market share. You could then go in to black market dealings but if the overwhelming market for the thing exists in the legitimate business sector, trading illegally doesn't pay/isn't worth the risk in most cases. This is why there isn't any meaningful alcohol black market to speak of.

It's all a lot more complicated than that with lots of caveats and exceptions but that's the gist.
>>
>>34855215
I agree. I don't think it's reasonable to legalize something so harmful.

Decriminalization is another matter though.
>>
>>34855232
All drugs are memes. Tobacco is simply the biggest normie drug that's extremely accessible.

Easy way to know if someone's retarded or not, too.
>>
>>34854751
who cares lol, we should legalize all drugs because muh freedom
>>
>>34855278
that would be alcohol, not tobacco
>>
>>34855215
People die from heroin because of how unregulated the product is, they overdose because the never know how strong of a dose they're getting.

They also die or get severely ill from other consequences of its legality like needle-sharing because they have to hide and do their heroin in secret with other people under a bridge so they don't get arrested for putting the wrong thin in their body.

More importantly, cigarettes and heroin are nothing alike. People smoke cigarettes on their way to work with a cup of coffee or while they wait for the bus because they're still functional. That would not be the case with heroin.

Also no one gets second-hand heroin high or second-hand hepatitis because they work at a restaurant or bar that allows indoor heroin.
>>
>>34855028
>It's NOT our fault they voluntarily chose to break the law.

No, and? Do your morals just come from the laws of the country you happen to live in?

And our drug problem isn't exclusive to america. Drugs are everywhere, and in fact many other countries have worse drug problems than america. Our prison problem is because of how and why we lock people up, and how we handle it. Our drug problem would be better if we didn't punish people for using drugs but rather kept them from using them.

One important statistic to look at is re-entry rate. And our focus on punishing over rehabilitation is exactly why our re-entry rate is also so bad. People go in for drugs, serve their time, aren't rehabilitated, and go right back in.
>>
>>34855289
Yeah, you're right.

Also, Please drink "responsibly"(TM)
>>
>>34855278
>>34855289

That would be caffeine, not alcohol or tobacco.

No one looks twice if you're drinking coffee throughout the day, you might get dirty looks if you're always smoking cigarettes during your breaks and lunch, you'll get fired if you're slamming back beers during work or school.

No one gives a shit either if they see a 6 year old drinking Coke or an 11 year old drinking a red bull.
>>
1. People WILL buy and use drugs
2. Weed specifically is a safe drug to use
3. By people being forced to buy drugs on the black market, crime increases as does danger of the drugs themselves
4. Therefore, we should make drugs legal and regulated, so that there is less black market activity and black market related crime
QED
>>
>>34854751
don't you remember what happen during the prohibition era of alcohol? use your brain op.
>>
>>34855210
Believe it or not pot has been integral to my growth and success as a memer.
>>
>>34855351
sugar is worse than all 3

fucking shit might as well be classed as a drug
>>
>>34855351

True. Caffeine is accepted because it tends to increase productivity rather than decrease, which is good for everyone.
>>
>>34854751
Because historically, this has been consistent with every country that has ever done it.
>>
>>34855381
And salt for that matter
>>
>>34855386
This is why the Japanese view marijuana as less acceptable than speed. Drugs in general are even more highly illegal in Japan though.
>>
>>34855381
True. I'm absolutely hooked on energy drinks and some people are concerned but they never say "hey now don't you think all that caffeine is bad for you heart?" It's always " WOW JEEZ LOUISE THAT'S WAY TOO MUCH SUGAR"

but yeah sugar IS terrible, especially HFCS.

New York had or was about to have a soda tax passed on its state and people were about to riot because muh buckets of sugar are in the constitution.
>>
>>34855647
I think it was France that recently did a ban on free refills on soda
>>
>>34855647
One day soda will be seen as a historical oddity from a time when people did retarded shit.
>>
>>34855738
I know right

It's like looking back to the time when people didn't wash their hands with soap (even less than now) or how they would throw their shit out in the streets and drink shitwater without knowing that that was the reason why they would die a stupid death at the ripe old age of 50.
>>
>>34855738
soda wasn't that much of a problem until they started with the HFCS horseshit, once they ditched real sugar for that the obesity rate started skyrocketing
>>
>[substance] is illegal
>people do it
>some of those people are idiots who end up going to jail for it
>each of those idiots costs +$40,000 in taxpayer dollars to keep in jail

>[substance] is illegal
>people do it
>some of those people are idiots who get themselves killed
>nothing of value is lost

HMMMMMM
>>
>>34855142
You'd probably be less buttmad if you toked every now and then, Jesus.
>>
>>34855173
You may not undersell them but to subsidize the lower cost the quality will go down. Only the brokest of broke will buy shit that been stepped on to that extent.
>>
File: 1485717986219.jpg (368KB, 1000x714px) Image search: [Google]
1485717986219.jpg
368KB, 1000x714px
>>34855028
lol, fucking dweeb. "common sense" my ass. i have a paid fellowship getting a phd in math and i do opioids, amphetamines, acid, benzos, weed, mdma, pcp, etc. really often and have been for years. i am usually not sober once per day at minimum. it is really enjoyable and is a good time, get to see things in new ways. it also helps medicate my brain pain. you're just a good little cumslave who does whatever he is told while staring ahead with a dull expression.
>>
>>34854751
Gangs need money to buy guns and other weapons. They can they them if people y their drugs from corporations. Even if you don't legalize drugs darknet markets will make buying drugs easy and get rid of the gang element
>>
>>34855871
fucking this

original origami
>>
>>34855142
>Mommy's boy autist falls for government propaganda
lmao, you have to 18 to post here you faggot
>>
>>34854751
Well for one if cops aren't arresting people for drugs they'll only be chasing speeders and serious criminals
>>
>>34856300
>>34856469
>>34855953
You're all fools who didn't listen. I'll sleep easy while you all are rotting in prison someday.
>>
Why are autists always hard statists?

Is libertarianism the ultimate chad ideology?
>>
File: IMG_0120.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0120.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>inb4 everyone's too doped up to crime
>>
>>34856607

Everyone thinks they know how to run society. It's only authoritarianism when the people you don't like are doing it. When the people you agree with are doing it its just common sense.
>>
File: image.png (32KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
32KB, 640x400px
>>34855028
This is entirely correct, even if you act like a faggot about it.
>>
>>34855173

Yeah, but now we have pretty much every place loaded with drugs and profits that compensate the risks. Besides, in order to undersell and make a profit in a regulated system you need get the government to tax the product into oblivion. If you play dumb, you still get the damage, but in our system, we have cops and shit and we still get the drugs en masse.
>>
>>34856607
The ultimate chad ideology is to just blend in with your peers.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.