[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever think about becoming a stand-up comedian? Ever give it a shot?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0705.jpg (332KB, 1225x1225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0705.jpg
332KB, 1225x1225px
Ever think about becoming a stand-up comedian? Ever give it a shot?
>>
>>34853032
Tosh is funnier than all those hacks
>>
Im not funny.
organo.
>>
>>34853074
that's a funny way to spell Seinfeld
>>
>>34853032
If I were funny enough to be a stand-up comedian I wouldn't be here.
>>
File: 1427001227878.png (232KB, 316x254px) Image search: [Google]
1427001227878.png
232KB, 316x254px
>implying robots are funny
>implying robots could speak in front of a crowd
>>
>>34853032
I would love to and everyone tells me I'm funny but my stage fright is too bad. Plus I'd probably collapse if somebody heckled me.
>>
>stand-up comedy
The lowest form of entertainment. Most comedians begin in their mid-20s and are "successful" by their early-30s. This is because it requires virtually zero skill; meanwhile, poets and painters go many decades (and often die) before they get recognition, if any at all.
>>
I used to do some stand up but i live near colleges now and everyone is a handwringing moralfag who wants to tell me that "the purpose of comedy is to speak truth to power" and "to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."

Yeah ok guy tweet about it since I do see you getting up there and doing any of that shit.
>>
>>34853139

Just how tight is your fedora?
>>
>>34853139
Maybe they should paint some money with their dumbass hipster selves if they're so good faggotron
>>
>>34853136
>my stage fright is too bad.
That's why Hedberg wore sunglasses all the time. It helped him feel like he was hiding.
>>
>>34853139
>poets and painters go many decades (and often die) before they get recognition, if any at all.

Because they're hacks
>>
File: ut7wh0y5jiey.jpg (536KB, 1396x2000px) Image search: [Google]
ut7wh0y5jiey.jpg
536KB, 1396x2000px
>>34853032
I actually think I would be okay. I'm pretty good at public speaking.
I used to have a pretty good repertoire of jokes in my head, but as I got older I lost some and realized some of the others were infringing upon certain material.
Oh well. Maybe in another multiverse.
>>
>>34853152
I started listening to Steve Martin recently, and I think he's a dying breed. It's intellectual comedy, but there's no message to it. It's just a smart guy trying to make people laugh. Nothing more to it than that.
>>
>>34853208
>sunglasses
That's a weird way of spelling cocaine

guys I'm making jokes in a thread about comedy
>>
>>34853208
I'm the guy you replied to. Just wanted you to know I'm not >>34853276 and I actually have a decent sense of humor.
>>
File: 1424651144594.jpg (59KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1424651144594.jpg
59KB, 850x400px
>>34853032
I did a few gigs when I was 14 as a sort of novelty act but ended up doing a lot better than expected. Still got a few contacts/favours with some people in the scene. Also couple of friends are starting out so that might give me the impetus to try and jump in.

I mean, on the one hand I'm even more riddled with depression and self-consciousness now than I was then (22 years old) but on the flip side while I might've been a bit of a "weird kid" at 14 my life has strayed so far from the path of normality it would serve as far better (and less gimmicky source material)

I really fucking idolise people like Doug Stanhope and Dylan Moran but I feel like the current atmosphere is not conducive for people with a similar demeanour who are just starting out. I've been to a few gigs recently (both open mic and mixed pro/amateur evenings) and the smug liberal circlejerk vibe seems to be pretty omnipresent. It's either that or 'top lads' who are just doing for the bants because they're well legends yeah and all they do is use it as a thinly veiled platform to stealth brag about their sexual exploits and occasionally throw in a joke they stole off Sickipedia and thought no one would notice
>>
>>34853530
I've come up with some material that I think could be described as Bill Hicks if he was more conservative leaning. I think it's funny, but there's probably not much of a market for it.
>>
>>34854335
I'm sure the happy few who do appreciate it would really love it. Hell, I think you owe it to both them and you to at least give it a try.

Even if you don't ever perform the material I still personally find it very therapeutic to jot down the raw material (so much has been lost because I've been too feckless to do this/think I'll remember and then forget/store it on dumb electronic devices which then get deleted) and a real exercise in self discipline to hone it into a clear, timed set (not so hot on that aspect I am a very lazy man)
>>
>>34854665
That sounds like a good idea. I think I'll try and work on it a bit tonight.
>>
I don't think the audience will get my special, brand of on the spot self deprecating humour
>>
File: standupneet.png (103KB, 327x218px) Image search: [Google]
standupneet.png
103KB, 327x218px
>tfw in my head actually imagined me on stage trying to do a NEET vs Wagie routine

i have some other self deprecating tendencies and stories which I think would work but I think most of my *material* sounds better in my head because it comes with a laugh track
>>
File: IMG_0572.jpg (16KB, 180x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0572.jpg
16KB, 180x240px
>>34854913
All aspie jokes sound better in their heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_C6G194nE
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.