[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

24 and being forced to go to church

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

File: jesus-on-the-cross.jpg (275KB, 800x471px) Image search: [Google]
jesus-on-the-cross.jpg
275KB, 800x471px
I'm not trying to sound like an edgy reddit faggot, but I can't think of a better incentive to move out.

My family is super religious beyond reason and my dad asked me this morning to go to church with him. They don't know that I no longer believe in God, but I don't think I'll ever tell them because it will absolutely destroy my relationship with my family.

I can't "pretend" to worship with my hands in the air and shit. I can't force myself to go up to the alter every week. This is what they're gonna expect from me if I start going.

On the other hand, despite having a full-time job, I don't make enough to move out right now. My job is also only 15 minutes away.
>>
>>34818125
>americans
can't you just pretend for 30 minutes?
>>
File: Beautiful Christianity 055.jpg (88KB, 480x692px) Image search: [Google]
Beautiful Christianity 055.jpg
88KB, 480x692px
>>34818125
Try to enjoy it. Focus on the elements you like: Art, music, architecture, etc.

As well try to understand why they believe and how it positively helps them. Perhaps consider if you really do not believe as well, or if you only reject a certain notion of god. perhaps read Tillich#s "The courage to be" or Schleiermacher's "On religion; speeches to its cultured despisers".

You should find a way to be honest with them mid/long term though, anon.

bBlessed.
>>
>>34818199
That's a pretty good way to look at it. Thanks anon.
>>
>>34818219
No problem. You are welcome.
>>
File: med_thumb_homer_cropped.jpg (34KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
med_thumb_homer_cropped.jpg
34KB, 600x337px
So I lied and said I had stuff to work on today (and sometimes i do have freelance shit to work on) but today I just want to play video games all day.
>>
>>34818125
Just go, faggot.

Can you really not just go be polite for an hour if it will make your parents happy?
>>
>>34818283
I don't quite understand what you mean by this.
>>
It's family time. Could be worse. At least they care. I personally admitted disbelief but the efforts Mom made to bring me back were unending so I pretend I believe now for her sake so she can be happy. I go to church with her whenever she wants and pray the rosary with her if she requests that. Obviously move out. I can only stomach performing this kind of act less than one weekend a month.
>>
I don't want to either anon, Im not religious as well but my family is I'm trying to sleep in to the point where it's too late
>>
>>34818291
I said I would go next week. I've also had a bad experience with a church a couple of years ago (between 2013-2015) where the church I was forced to go to at college turned out to be some sort of cult.
>>
>>34818313
I think that we may need a greentext for that one, mate.
>>
>>34818312
>>34818310

Well that's the other thing, my whole family goes to different churches. It would be different if we were all together, but it would just be me and my father.

>2 sisters go to super black unbearable yelling and screaming, hey i have a prophecy for everyone in the audience and the super powers of healing church
>1 sister goes to jewish-christian hybrid church which is literally a super ritual-driven cult
>mom works every morning
>dad wants to start going again. We'd most likely go to one of those mellow white churches

my 2 sisters are the ones who usually beg me to go with them, but I made it clear that I DO NOT want to partake in that kind of church.
>>
>>34818368
>2013
>go away to college
>my roomate decides it would be good if we went to church every week and do bible studies to please our parents
>he's not even that religious, at least not more than I was at the time
>he goes online and somehow finds this dude named Paul
>the three of us have our first bible study and he convinces us that we should go to his church
>we go to his church that week and literally every single person there is Korean. There was one african couple, but everyone else was Korean.
>It was extremely basic, barebones and boring as hell, but tolerable.
>he starts asking me to be a presider, meaning I have to get up in front of everyone and run the morning service and sing hymns.
>then as weeks go by, he begs us to go to the bible conference with them. It costs 200 fucking dollars and we're poor college students
>we politely decline, but he guilt trips us to no end and I tell him, "maybe it's not god's will for us to go."
>he didn't take kindly to that answer and says, "NO! IT IS GOD'S WILL FOR YOU TO GO!"
>mfw

1/2
>>
>>34818504
Should I bother continuing or did I lose everyone?
>>
File: Kuwabara.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kuwabara.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
>>34818504
Are you going to finish?
>>
>>34818781
Come on faggot
>>
>>34818125
You MUST believe, ot at least pretend you do (like I do) it's the one way to escape from robothood.
>>
>>34818793
Sure

>My roomate decides to quit
>My guilt keeps me from leaving, so now I'm stuck there
>look up my church online, and apparently there have been numerous instances of "cult-like behavior"
>I come to realize that Paul is an overthetop conservative with irrational thoughts in regard to humanity.
>One day he went on a rant about how promoting aids research is actually promoting homosexuality
>goes on a rant about how celebrities only kill themselves because they don't have jesus
>I end up self-disclosing my anxiety/depression to him as a result, but he just says I need to pray more
>the weeks following fill me with fear and dread
>can't skip at least ONE week of church to study for upcoming exams and work on projects. I'm in fucking college, I have to study and work on important project.
>on top of that, I have bible studies with him during the fucking week

My experience at college would have been so much better had I not went there. The people there are completely brainwashed.
>>
>>34818917
You should have quit...
>>
>>34818917
Needless to say, I graduated in May 2015 and have not spoken to them since. Paul just wanted to control my life and i was too much of a pussy to quit altogether. They would sometimes shower me with treats (cookies and shit) as a way of reassuring me that I was there to stay. On my last day, they have me a bible with my name engraved on it.

They even tried to convince me to live in the african couple's basement after graduation so that I could continue to attend their services and bible conferences (which I never did because I still could not afford it).
>>
>>34818943
Right about what exactly?
>>
>>34818871
How the fuck do you do that
I don't have the willpower to believe in anything
>>
>>34818991
About celebrities needing Jesus
>>
>>34819004
You pretend you do, I shower myself with videos from my religious sect everyday and attend every weekly meeting and mass, still it's not like I Really believe (I know eternal individual life is bullshit at the end of the day) but they still share values I like and they're fun, kind people so I try to convince myself to some degree through these methods
>>
>>34818991
Back when I had Jesus, I was still suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts on top of horrible depersonalization/derealization.

The more I tried to get closer to him, the more I questioned my beliefs. When I moved away to college, I was taught things that never would have been brought up back home. The history of christianity, how amount of times the bible has been tempered with, and the various ideas that the authors implemented in each translations. Things like that.

I will say that bible studies gave me greater knowledge of the bible, but it also opened my eyes to how much is contradicts itself.

tl;dr there were a great number of factors that played a role into why my faith diminished and going to that church was one of them
>>
>>34819106
was meant for >>34819010

Origo
>>
But what do you guys think? Will going to church again revive my faith in Jesus?

Please give me an honest, unironic answer. This is a serious matter at hand.
>>
>>34819106
How the fuck can you suffer from depression and even less so depersonalization if you're with Jesus?

He's the opposite force to these things
>>
>>34819152
It's painfully obvious you know literally nothing about how depression works.
>>
I've found that studying Christianity has helped me understand why I dislike being a Christian family better, You might like this site if you're interested in that sort of thing:
http://exposingchristianity.org/
>>
>>34819167
No, you don't.

Original comment

>>34819197
Tip harder faggot
>>
>>34819197
Thanks anon. I normally hate "propaganda sites" (regardless of their nature) but I'll check it out right now.
>>
You could try telling them you have your own way of worshipping god, some people buy that.
if they call you on it say some shit like"look at the trees, god is all around us, in the dirt and in the corn etc.."
they'll probably just back away slowly and never ask again..
>>
>>34819253
That's what Christians say too.

That everything is proof of God
>>
>>34819277
yea ikr that's why they might swallow it and back off your junk.
>>
>there are unironically people who think that they are with jesus and it has some type of power over them and reality
Can we please just classify religious people as schizos already
The shit reads like a middle school syndrome delusion. Yall are insane
>>
>>34819454
Fuck off retard, fedorinas like you are all autistic fucktard or pathetic degenerates
>>
>>34819197
Literally fedora: the web site
>>
>>34819471
lol you cannot make a coherent post without spouting your echo chambers memes. End your life, go to your god
>>
File: 1305283813385.jpg (32KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1305283813385.jpg
32KB, 500x375px
>>34819454
kek i was wondering when an atheist just wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut
>i'm one too and it was hard but i did
>>
>>34819525
See you in the day of judgment you fucking loser, the eternal torments of hell are eagerly awaiting you
>>
File: 1305282766155.jpg (119KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1305282766155.jpg
119KB, 1024x768px
>>34819545
wow how's that inner peace coming, champ.
i think jesus might not be happy with how you're conducting yourself right now, brother.
>>
>>34818125
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uMkdqLypsQ
>>
>>34819106
>how amount of times the bible has been tempered with, and the various ideas that the authors implemented in each translations

You realize that liberal Christianity doesn't deny that for - well, about 200 years min. ?

Look up Bultmann, Tillich, Willi Marxen.
>>
>>34818125
Just space out for ages, or master the art of falling asleep while looking like you're praying. It's not that difficult.

t. atheist who went to a christian school for seven years
>>
>mfw when i really enjoy the church
yeah theres some nice stories and you always learn something about it
Also omg its just one hour you dont gonna die dude stop bitching Jesus
>>
>>34818125
They way I see it, you've got two options. Find a way to move out, find an excuse not to go (job or some shit) or just le pretend to believe XDD for an hour.
>>
>>34820663
That's three options actually, my bad.
>>
I wish my parents were Christians.
They would make fun of me if I started going to church. You fedora tippers don't know how lucky you are.
>>
christian mom and dad is the main reason I moved out. but the best part is we're black so she shouts and stomps her feet and blasts gospel as early as 7am almost everyday. needless to say I haven't spoken to her in 3 years since every conversation will end up somehow being about god
>>
File: 1309184107357.jpg (93KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1309184107357.jpg
93KB, 1024x768px
>>34820685
>kek let's take advice from a dingdong who can't count to three
>>
>>34818504
>we go to his church that week and literally every single person there is Korean. There was one african couple, but everyone else was Korean.
Did they happen to be followers of this guy?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.