[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LINUX = WEEB MEME OS

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 150469_mac_pc_linux.jpg (29KB, 464x208px) Image search: [Google]
150469_mac_pc_linux.jpg
29KB, 464x208px
Prove me wrong.
>can't play games
>can't run any useful programs
>have to use fucking command prompt to do anything
Fucking stick to Windows, you pretentious hipster faggots.
You are not a hacker. You are not a cool cyberpunk weeb. You are not sticking it to the man.
You are only cucking yourself out of getting the most from your machine.
>>
everything i need to do i can do on gnu plus linux, i do not play games and i don't use or need photoshop, all the alternative software for stuff i used on windows have worked completely fine for me. it works so well that i installed it on my dad's comp and he hasn't had a single problem with it.
>>
File: S1Ebrg1.png (700KB, 948x705px) Image search: [Google]
S1Ebrg1.png
700KB, 948x705px
>>34787713
>cant play games
except it can; steam exists on linux despite there being less game availability because game companies are afraid of being open sauce
>cant run any useful programs
except it can.. perhaps you should expand on this since this is extremely vague as to what one would find particularly useful.
wrong again.

that being said i moved away from dual booting linux with windows in favor of more storage

and with that being said ive been considering moving back with how much bloatware microsoft is shoving down unknowing, unconcerned consumer's throats. i have no use for the vast majority of default programs they force you to install. at least you can uninstall 90% of them. still particularly pissed about cortana and how it HAS to run in the background despite i have zero use for a robobitch that does less for me than google.
>>
>>34787854
>except it can.. perhaps you should expand on this since this is extremely vague as to what one would find particularly useful.

99% of the time people just mean photoshop when they say this
>>
>can't play games
Games are for children, grow up.

Any actually useful programs run on any POSIX system.

It's not called a command prompt.
>>
>>34787713
>can't play games
Can't play some games*
Emacs, GCC, Firefox/Chrome/Palemoon/Opera, Clang, Python interpreter, GIMP, PS CS6 via WINE, Emulators for various gayme consoles, Deluge, qBittorrent, Transmission-GTK, dmenu, GNOME, i3, cryptsetup, nmap, gedit, leafpad, grep, cat, ps, GVim, vi, Vim, Logical Volume Management, GPG, Tor Browser Bundle, Audacity, MPV, Audacious, VLC, PCmanfm, Thunar, Nautilus, lxpanel, Openbox, Krita.

>Have to use command prompt to do anything

Wew, you *may* have to COPY AND PASTE some commands when you initially set the system up.

>You're not a hacker
Who said that GNU/Linux users were? Some use it for the simplicity, performance gains (like if you're using old hardware), or increased productivity. It is a lot better for penetration testing, though.

>You are not a cool cyberpunk weeb
See above.

>You are not sticking it to the man
I am sticking it to data brokers who harvest your data for shekels, though.

>You are cutting yourself out of getting the most from your machine

Kek, I have the source code for every program installed on my system. I can literally open the source files with Emacs and add the features that I want to a program.

Windows on the other hand, you have to hope that big daddy Microsoft provides your features for Free(TM) (Note that you're having your information harvested)

>B-but use one of these tools
lol, there is no tool that disables nonfree software.
>>
>>34787713
Come on NEET, you are using Android right now.
Admit it.
>>
>wanting kikes and government spying on your every move
>>
>>34787891
A-anon why w-would you put nmap as a useful program?
>>
>>34787713

> can't play games
Men don't play "games", dipshit. The vidyah is for fags.

> Can't run any useful programs
All useful programs are written for unix style systems. Damn near everything is written form an html5 platform anyway.

No, you are able to use a "command prompt" (nice use of Windows bullshit terminology, OP... it is called a Terminal by the non-retarded). Any command that requires visual interpretation and cannot be described in english text is fucking bullshit.

t. oldfag that has been using GNU/Linux as their only OS since 1999.
>>
>>34787891
>that program list
Do you really think anyone who would post that Linux can't run useful programs will be impressed by how many text editors and C compilers it has, or how much you can pipe text between cute little GNU programs? I also notice that your list doesn't contain LibreOffice---not that it should, but that's sort of the point.
>>
GNU/Linux:
>depending on your distribution type apt install/dnf install/pacman -S package-name
>confirm your decision with "y" (can be disabled)
Windows
>open your browser
>wait for a few seconds to open
>search for "program namd download" (at this point it could have been installed on GNU/Linux)
>enter the website
>locate one of million download buttons (only one downloads the software)
>click it
>click save file
>open it
>click next
>accept EULA and click next
>untick bundleware
>click next
>wait for few minutes
>click finish
How do Winfags even live?
>>
>>34788794
>Not shown: The time it took to learn correct usage of GNU/Linux
Winfags live because windows holds their hand like they're a retarded toddler who can't put the square peg in the square hole.
t. computer illiterate who can't put the square peg in the square hole
>>
>>34788841
With Ubuntu or Mint you don't even have to start command line. Ever.
And if you dedicate five minutes of your time, you can learn basics of command line.
You can try it in virtual machine, and later dual boot it if you like it.
>>
>>34788088
>be me, Russian hacker
>join some open source project because anybody can contribute to it
>add in some malicious code that probably won't get noticed for at least a few days/weeks and collect a lot of useful information in that time period

>be me again, Russian hacker
>want to do the same thing to Windows/Mac OS
>try to get hired at Apple/Microsoft so that I can put the malicious code in Windows/Mac OS
>can't actually do it, since Microsoft and Apple's background checks catch me for being a spy
>or if I don't get caught, the code is extensively tested and reviewed before release because it has to make a profit, so my code is caught and I'm fired

>mfw freetards think Linux makes them safer
>>
>>34788885
>You can try it in virtual machine, and later dual boot it if you like it.
I'd manage to get that wrong too somehow I bet. I'm too afraid to learn because I don't want to nuke all my files somehow by accident and lose everything, even though I have a backup.
>>
>>34788917
>be me, freetard
>pick apart every last line of code from any open source program I'm considering using before downloading or running it
>never get my data collected

>be me again, freetard
>on windows/mac OS
>every program has malicious code in it and I can't check for it nor can I cut it out and optomize the code myself

Really makes you think.
>>
>>34788917
Don't you mean,
>Russian hacker
>want to compromise Windows/OS X
>use a PDF exploit
>never gets patched, or if it does, most people don't upgrade
>>
The only acceptable Linux distributions are Android and Chrome OS. Using Linux for anything else makes you a freak.

>>34788961
How often do people actually inspect the millions of lines of code in their OS every time it gets updated? A malicious patch only needs to go unnoticed for a few days to cause a lot of damage.
>>
>>34788917
>Merging pull requests without reading the changes

You are fake news, Microshill
>>
>>34788980
>every time it gets updated?
By not updating right away for starters.
>he updates his programs and OS as soon as a new update is out
Top zozzle.
>>
It's not called the Command Prompt on Linux. It's called the terminal. Please jump into a septic tank.
>>
>>34788980
>Makes you a freak
Not an argument
Also:
>Using the word freak with negative connotations on the fucking freak board
>>
What's even the point of Linux in the first place? There is fuck all funds to create actually new things that are open source because of its communist structure (also, outside of /g/, all open source communities are very, very SJW). 99% of R&D is done by private companies making proprietary software, Linux is only good for paranoid basement dwelling dweebs to poorly copy the innovation in proprietary software.
>>
File: shadowman-large.jpg (48KB, 1034x963px) Image search: [Google]
shadowman-large.jpg
48KB, 1034x963px
>>34789235
>There is fuck all funds to create actually new things
I don't know, anon. Pic related is the puppet master behind all linux distros.
>>
>>34789235
you can customize it to hell and back, one guy may prefer a tiling window manager like i3 for programming because it's very keyboard based, another may prefer gnome for it's shiny tablet interface

it doesn't spy on you, it's as stable or bleeding edge as you want it to be, package managers make installing removing and updating your system very easy. some of the alternative software isn't as good as windows/mac, but i haven't run into many problems that made me want to switch back to windows

you don't need to be a freetard autist to appreciate it
>>
>>34787713
I'm on Mint. Like it plenty fine, and is a lot more efficient than Windows.

I use it to whip up documents like resumes, and to shit post online more efficiently than if I were to use my phone.

I play games on my SNES, N64, Game Cube, Wii U, Dreamcast, BC PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, 3DS, and GBA.
>>
>>34787713
>You are not a hacker.
Actually I am, though
>>
>>34789235
You could make the same argument about literally phone vs the iPhone.
>>
>>34787713
Assuming this isnt some b8

>can't play games
why the fuck would you want to? Most people use GNU/Linux for servers or work

W R O N G
literally any program

shows how much you know
first off it isn't called a command prompt and second no you don't
theres a GUI way to do everything

>hacker

le 1337 meme is for teens and autismos

>sticking it to the man

some of us like free software and the ability to create and test our software quickly
and modify it to out liking

I find programming on GNU/Linux 200x faster than on windows

Its just faster to use the terminal

The only reason you think otherwise is because you're some shit tier gaymer who wants to use it like windows
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.