[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 21 years old too old to start seriously studying Math?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (24KB, 640x615px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 640x615px
Is 21 years old too old to start seriously studying Math?
>>
No just study now.
>>
>Did IT course

>I actually am fascinated by Pharmacology and Microbiology, want to fix peoples' medical problems.
>>
>>34787140
you can never be too old cunt
>>
>>34787367
>what is neuroplasticity?
e
>>
>>34787140
I am 25+ and still at the Uni, graduating. So no, it's not late. Not at all.
But be aware that it's a meme degree, difficult to get jobs. You may want to get a mastering degree and a PhD too.
>>
>>34787140
If the foundation wasn't built into your brain when you were a child, you're going to have a bad time.
>>
>mathematics
>not programming

wew
>>
>>34787140
You've got plenty of time

>t. 27 year old who should have been doing that
>>
Study in what way?

It's never too late to master Pre-Calc. If you can apply basic algorithms and have halfway decent memory, you can make great progress over a few years.

Calc to Differential equations? Eh. Effort and a good/great teacher are necessary to learn them at this point in your life.

Pure proofs-based math? You might be able to follow basic parts of it before Analysis. But if you haven't immersed yourself in "The Game of Proofs" (i.e. thinking about math in a very logical way) from around age 16-17, you'll NEVER fully grasp it, even with semi-advanced things like Number Theory, Group Theory, and Real Analysis.
>>
>>34787472
Not a math degree student but this is not true.

To break it down for you (if you're looking for a job and not research):

IT - discrete math/linear algebra
Engineering - calculus
Finance - probability/statistics
Communication - transform theory

This is rough as fuck but it should help you not fuck up as badly as that anon who struggled to master calculus on his own for years and then enrolled in computer science.
>>
File: 1468906786309.png (1MB, 1298x937px) Image search: [Google]
1468906786309.png
1MB, 1298x937px
>tfw focused on programming instead of mathematics in my teen years
>>
>>34787787
Or you just aren't as smart as you think you are
>>
"Serious" Math student here.

No, I didn't start seriously studying math until 18. However I take to the subject pretty easily and was always pretty good at it, though grade school math and calculus are very different to 'Serious' math.

Anyone can start studying and with some effort make it up to what I'd say would be 1st year graduate knowledge; general algebra, analysis, topology, and geometry, but eventually there's a hard cap on your ability to progress that's different for everyone, obviously much higher for "math people".
>>
>>34788160
Serious theoretical physics student here. What's your cap? I'm curious what's considered hard
>>
>>34788189
I have no idea as I haven't reached it yet.

I'm in some 2nd year graduate courses right now.

It depends on the subject; this 2nd year topology course is ez pz but 1st year measure theory was such a fucking pain.
>>
File: 1483470098576.png (16KB, 211x211px) Image search: [Google]
1483470098576.png
16KB, 211x211px
Would it be preferable to learn math over programming?

Which one would land me a good job?
>>
>>34788213
Well good luck finding that cap. I had some trouble with noncommutative geometry, but I think that was more because I jumped into it without mastering the prerequisites
>>
File: 1486771365941.png (130KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1486771365941.png
130KB, 284x284px
I watched a 44 year old carpenter sell his contracting business and enroll university for computer science with absolutely NO background in the field. He graduated with average grades.

21 is fine.
>>
maybe not for you, you seem kinda slow OP
>>
File: 1484810332703.jpg (119KB, 788x591px) Image search: [Google]
1484810332703.jpg
119KB, 788x591px
>tfw have always liked maths
>tfw fascinated by it
>tfw admiring people who are proficient in it
>tfw too retarded to actually understand it and be good in it
>tfw it always takes me too much time to solve a single equation and I keep making elementary mistakes
>the I can pass exams only by doing hunderds of tasks before them, but still understand almost nothing of it
How do I git gud at maths?
>>
>>34788333
be more smart
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.