[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to Begin Playing Chess

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (38KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 630x420px
How might I go about this? I have only the basic knowledge of how each piece operates, so I am a complete beginner. I do have some background in similar games of strategy, though.
>>
>>34688670
PC games.
Will only let you do the moves that are possible so you can't go wrong.
>>
File: 1479699575107.png (64KB, 658x901px)
1479699575107.png
64KB, 658x901px
>>34688670
don't play chess online if it has a chat though

I got bullied very hard by the smarties
>>
>>34688718
Thanks for the reply.
So just playing vs the ai of varying difficulties? Are there any written resources/ discussion forums that you could recommend?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2062x3000px)
image.jpg
1MB, 2062x3000px
Bump dis ting
>>
>>34688795
read strategy guides OP.
I started in a chess club when I was eight. there is a meta as in computer games. you gotta memorize the different tactics and then you play through them a couple of times to get familiar. these are the basics.
sicilian is your go to point as a beginner.
>>
>>34688670
Why? It's a shit hobby.
>>
>>34689337
I have to agree. It doesn't feel like I am improving, and if I do manage to beat anyone it's not satisfying because they are just more novice than I am.
>>
>>34688792
700 elo pls go. chesslets aren't welcome here
>>
>>34688670
Well first you should CASH ME OUSSIDE HOW BOW DAT rofl
>>
Chess.com has an app that pretty nice

Prepare to spend a while if you wanna get decent.
>>
>>34688792
>>34689499
checkmate faggot ggez
>>
Find the toughest chess AI and don't stop playing until you win.
>>
>>34688670
Did that girl shave off her widow's peak?
>>
>>34689611
how bow dat huh?
>>
>>34689316
Thank you for your answer, anon
>>
>>34689611
>>34689653
Ima cash you outside
>>
1) Don't bother with playing AI. You'll learn much more quickly playing against real people. Engines don't play anything like humans.

2) Don't bother studying/reading too much until you get to the point where you don't accidentally hang pieces for no compensation.

3) Don't spend time learning openings too much for now. Just learn the general ideas about how to develop your pieces.

Basically, until you reach about 1500-1600 rating on chess com you should only be playing games, analyzing your losses, and doing chess puzzles (aka tacics.) For games, use chess com or lichess, for puzzles use chesstempo.
>>
>>34689738
You're really polite.
Something lost to most people these days.
Manners are fucking awesome.
>>
>>34690392
Also just to add onto this: once you get to the point where you aren't hanging pieces randomly, you should start with reading up on general theory. Openings and endgame theory will be useless to you for a while. You should be reading up on more general ideas like center control, tactical motifs, etc.

But again, the most important thing is just to play a lot
>>
>>34688670
Play slower games online.... minimum of 15 mins per side, preferably longer if you have the time. Hell, even correspondence games can be really great for learning as a beginner. Speed chess will only make you form bad habits
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.