[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have an "epiphany" thread?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: 1482858663918.gif (391KB, 592x318px) Image search: [Google]
1482858663918.gif
391KB, 592x318px
Epiphanies or "redpills" (in the traditional sense--it doesn't have to be an ultraconservative idea, just a new conceptualization of a daily reality normies take utterly for granted)

Big ones for me:

1. Renting is an utterly ridiculous waste of money
2. Making a car payment every month is too
3. Having kids makes you poor and less happy
4. School teaches you absolutely zero useful shit, even pre-med or engineering courses end up consisting of a lot of "weed out" stuff like linear algebra or organic chemistry that gets tossed in the waste can when your real job begins
>Getting married is a great idea (not)

i dunno, let's have some thought-provoking arguments that devolve into rage-filled shitposting
>>
Material wealth is an illusion and in the end will only leave you dissatisfied and wanting more

The quest for happiness begins at distancing oneself from material desires
>>
>>34664891
that's a good one

i think i've started on that path but damn is it hard to fully eliminate the craving for material splendor
>>
>>34664645
Life is boring and nothing is worth doing. Love is only an illusion: it won't last for ever. You'll get bored, or better, she will. No one understands you. You live alone, you die alone. Loneliness will follow you till the very end.

Have fun browsing r9k.
>>
you will never be happy in a relationship if you aren't happy with yourself
>>
>>34665208
a good classic dark one, thanks friend-o
>>
>>34665223
quite wise, i say
>>
>>34664645
>1. Renting is an utterly ridiculous waste of money
I agree but unfortunately it is my only option other than homelessness.
Feels bad man.
>>
>>34665223
>you will never be happy in a relationship if you aren't happy with yourself

Who said anything about being HAPPY in a relationship ? Just being in one would be a good start.

>Inb4 le u have to love your inner b e e e self to get le gf

Make my day, normie
>>
>>34664891
>>34665208
These.
And survival instinct is a delusion. Being alive is just mental masturbation.
Sex drive and the urge to procreate are just extensions of survival instinct due to the fact the human body wears out.
Love for one's children is by extension self love.
>>
the meaning of life is not to be happy nor is it something you should strive towards
>>
>>34665019
You just have to realize it is all superficial and that soon enough, regardless of an afterlife, it will disappear and will not matter one bit.

Every religion acknowledges this. Material reality is nothing compared to what comes next. And if you really don't want to believe in an afterlife, what does /anything/ matter if you will soon cease to exist altogether?
>>
File: images.png (164KB, 363x478px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
164KB, 363x478px
What if my epiphany was on the illusory nature of epiphanies ?
>>
All is One. Separation is an illusion.
>>
>>34665454
Go home Hegel, no one cares.
>>
Happiness is fleeting, only true satisfaction can be attained by comfort.
>>
>>34665500
i worded it kinda weird should be "true satisfaction can only be"
>>
>>34665500
I used to think this way but now I believe greater satisfaction can be found in creative pursuits.
Comfort is very important though, I don't think life is worth living without it.
>>
>>34665500
Checking your dubs

Origunellus
>>
>>34665500
Triple dubs for truth
>>
>1. Renting is an utterly ridiculous waste of money
renting is not always a waste of money, depending on your investments you can have a bigger net worth over 20 years while renting than if you had bought a home.
but just renting to have a place to live and not to save money to invest is a waste of money

>2. Making a car payment every month is too
can't really argue, always buy used cars from credible places typically you will be able to pay off the car in a few lump sums and then not have to worry about a car payment.

>3. Having kids makes you poor and less happy
I have no personal experience with this one so I won't insert my opinion

>4. School teaches you absolutely zero useful shit

you know how to read don't you? I will assume you learned that in school. also I will assume you know enough about numbers to manage your money. It is up to the person to find practical applications to the knowledge they gain in school. Having said that, I think school is way too long and should probably end somewhere around 10th grade. one of the biggest issues in public school is that it is a "one size fits all" education so that the really dumb kids can keep up, well that makes it arduous and boring for the average and brighter kids. As for the practical "real life lessons" that is your parents' job to teach you not the government's.

>Getting married is a great idea (not)
Having a spouse can have legal advantages, you will be able to gift (tax free) money to each other every year thus saving money on taxes. otherwise marriage is a religious thing and getting married for any religious reason is dumb.
>>
>>34665706
>Having a spouse can have legal advantages, you will be able to gift (tax free) money to each other every year thus saving money on taxes. otherwise marriage is a religious thing and getting married for any religious reason is dumb.
This looks good on paper but people are not machines and emotions get in the way, people change, they fuck up, and relationships become irreconcilable, leading to divorce and general angst.
>>
>>34665373

I think that phrase has lost its intended meaning, it isn't about having to love yourself before you can find love, I believe the phrases intended meaning is more like "if you think getting a GF will make everything better, you will not have a good relationship." the "love yourself" part I think refers to you being able to just be a "whole" person on your own and not think of yourself as half of a person without a partner.

I imagine that if you have your own hobbies and taste in music and things like that you already "love yourself" enough to do well in a relationship. but that is just like my opinion maaaan.
>>
>>34665872
>if you think getting a GF will make everything better, you will not have a good relationship

That sounds more reasonable. Because an attitude like that may spell too much emotional burden for your possible partner and end with you getting dumped.
>>
>>34664645
I thought owning a home was the bigger waste of money. Which is it?
>>
>>34666444
>I thought owning a home was the bigger waste of money.

>>Owning property that's yours and investing in it is a waste of money
>>Living in someone else's property and paying them rent is more financially sound

This is someone who's cucked by capitalism's way of thinking.
Like everyone said, it depends on your job situation and the deal you can get on rent or on a loan to buy your own place. But in general, having your own property is certainly a better investment
>>
>>34666670
>do your own maintenance
>spend weekends "fixing up" things
>watch people build on the surrounding property and suddenly it's not as peaceful
>even if you have the perfect location, it's not really yours if someone decides to build a road or shopping mall
Nah, bruh.
>>
>>34664645

the entire history of man is trying to impress the opposite sex

futurama was right
>>
>>34666771
>it's not really yours if someone decides to build a road or shopping mall

Do you live in Cambodia ? If someone decides to build a mall or a freeway you will get three times the property value if you (like most owners will) stand your ground to the company/state's offers.

People with insider info on such projects actually buy property on future development spots just to capitalize
>>
But what if I just want to live in peace and not be bribed into selling out?
>>
>>34666937
then they'll build two lanes of a freeway around your little cottage kek. and that won't be living in peace, but it could be kinda cool. toxic tho.
>>
>>34666950
Then I would rather rent and not be tied down. What's the point of buying a house if you're going to have abandon it anyway?
>>
My epiphany is that I need to stop smoking weed and drinking beer, and instead support my wife while her mother dies of cancer, and while she has a worrying lump in her breast, because recently, rather than support her, I've been going out five nights a week.

Is that an epiphany, or am I just a cunt?
>>
>>34666771
>it's not really yours if someone decides to build a road or shopping mall
This is the biggest crock of shit possible.

>"Hey here's some money so we can build a road here, it's nowhere near as much as what the property is worth but that doesn't matter because we can legally kick you off the property as long as we pay you something"
>>
>>34667114
Hahaha is this a thing in america? Here, if the government wants to compulsory purchase a property, they must legally give you the market value of the property, and oftentimes some compensation also.
>>
>>34667160
They have to do the market value thing here too, but it's an "estimated market value" which means they'll give you as little as they possibly can. Just say you could sell the house for $500k, they'll low ball the estimate into something like $370k.
>>
>>34667091
The Iatter, I'm afraid.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.