[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Culture of Depression

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

Like all of you, I see a shitload of memes about wanting to die. I'm fascinated by why this notion has gotten so popular among teenagers/twentysomethings.

If you think of like, 30 years ago, and imagine overhearing someone complaining out loud "This society fucking sucks, I'm a fucking emotional wreck all the time and I can't keep up with what's being demanded of me." Back then, you'd probably think they were overreacting, but today I can imagine most of us thinking to ourselves "Fucking /same/, buddy". Even successful normie kids joke about it.

So why do we all want to die so bad? Do we really want to die or do we just want some rest? I saw a post here saying our generation's problem is not that we're lazy, it's that we're overstimulated. 24 hour news cycle has been hitting us since we were kids, school, tuition, debt, jobs, economy, family, they all stack up on top of us more constantly and demanding than ever. And our escape is using the same machines that deliver the news to us daily to bring us entertainment, mostly from those same companies as the news corps.
>>
i'm probably depressed but i can't relate to normalfag depression

mine comes from literal hopelessness, which is why i don't even know if it's depression or just the brain's natural reaction to being so hopeless
>>
It seems like we're all so hurt deeply that we have to externalize it as humor that we can share in, like having a common grief. It's just pretty pathetic that our common culture is how sad we are.
>>
>>34658150

Idk OP I just haven't found a reason to live, I have looked for over 10 years, I have cleared my depression, keep my body in okay shape, eat healthy enough but I still end up wondering why am I doing all of this? Just to continue my hedonistic lifestyle is that all there is for me?

Ending it all doesn't sound like a bad option in the end.
>>
>>34658150
Born, go to college/uni, get a job, die.

What the fuck is there to be happy about? Everyone follows the same path and everything is fucking boring.
>>
>>34658283
Then do something else.
>>
File: f39efnX.jpg (115KB, 777x681px) Image search: [Google]
f39efnX.jpg
115KB, 777x681px
feeding memes to keep the thread alive. memes power the economy
>>
>>34658150
I think the main reason for this is social media and internet. Imagine yourself 30 years ago. Parents used to pay more attention to their kids and actually talked to them instead of texting them, same with friends. Kids used to go out and play together in the field and parks, but now they play vidya and watch anime. Communities were more well connected and their was a lot of interaction in person, thus increasing the bonding which made us care what society and our neighbors thought of us and not being outright degenerate. The over saturation and over connectivity of internet and social media has made us much more isolated.
>>
File: 1484448025038.png (159KB, 400x379px) Image search: [Google]
1484448025038.png
159KB, 400x379px
>born too late to not be poisoned by the internet
>born too early to fully immerse myself in the poison through virtual reality
>stuck with this shitty low dose of poison while still being expected to contribute to society and be a functioning adult
I don't wanna

I just wanna play video games
>>
Society expects me to become a contributing part of it while not offering me any chances to do so.

In my country currently there's about 200-300 applicants for every job that gets posted. Obviously not enough for everyone.

I'm just being kept alive on lifesupport with welfare a min. amount of money just enough for rent and food.

While this existence is fine and I can just sit here and play videogames and consume media it does take a toll on your psyche in the long run.
>>
>>34658150
>i want to die
really means
>ahah give me attention, faggot
>>
I can't imagine that most of those people who post ironic depression memes have really experienced true depression. Sure I get it if they have a period of time where they feel down, but they usually bounce back. There problems are external and one the thing causing their problem disappears so does the depression. Its an irrational state for most people, because really they can improve and get better.

When you actually have something like genuine autism its a lot harder to snap out of it. The problem is never going away. Sure you can find tricks to get around your problems, you change how you look to make people think you are someone you are not. Ultimately though its futile. The things a human needs to be happy, companionship, relationships on an emotional level, are completely out of reach. Sure you can appear to do these things, learn the right words and utilise cliches at the correct time, but its not real. Its like living life through a Duke Nukem soundboard. There's only so many times someone can hear "I've got balls of steel" before they realise something is off.

When you deal with this reality on a day to day basis. When you realise this will be your fate til the day you die, and things will only really get worse, and have never been good. Suddenly suicide seems like a completely rational thought. Really the only solution to an impossible situation.

Sorry about my irrelevant wall of text. I guess people can be sad if they want. I. don't own sadness, just feel like I know it so well.
>>
>>34659958
what if you use post-ironic shit with new sincerity?
i just know that it's not gonna get better, so why not laugh at how fucking retarded i am to actually be stuck in a memepression for almost 10 years
>>
>>34659958
Don't be sorry, I enjoyed the read.
>>
File: IMG_0766.png (92KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0766.png
92KB, 500x522px
>>34658150
Normies iterally joke about it. They love to complaon about having enxiety and being depressed before going out to parties and clubs.
Im sure moste robots actually want to die. Most are social outcasts, are mentally unstable, are faggots, feel alone, etc the list goes on.
>>
>>34660023
Yea I do the same desu. Humour does seem like one of the best things to deal with it. After a certain point as well friends, family etc.. get bored of hearing about your problems. At least through memes we can find comfort in knowing other people relate without burdening people. I guess my original post was mainly referring to teenagers who post them on Facebook. But who knows, maybe they're depressed as well
>>
File: 1435847821312.jpg (153KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
1435847821312.jpg
153KB, 495x495px
When I see normies joke about wanting to die it just pulls me down even further. I can't talk about this shit and I sure as hell wouldn't joke about my own misery. It just reminds me how fucking insignificant and stupid my issues are. It really does make me want to cease existing and I'm not saying this as some kind of "haha crippling depression" meme.

Some of the people who use these memes probably do have issues and that makes it even worse. Nobody gives a shit about your misery. Most people have issues to deal with and they don't want to hear about your shitty life. You're even more fucked if your issues impact your ability to function in society. Nobody gives a shit about a neet like me who hides away in his room for years because he's afraid of the world. I'm pathetic. Everybody is miserable. Everything is confusing. The newer generations are bearing the brunt of it all.

I'm still young. Things are bad now. There's so much potential for it to get worse in the future. World is fuck.
>>
I hate our modern culture of insincerity

Everyone is always being ironic, or sarcastic

Please just say what you actually mean
>>
>>34658490
If you have time, then you have the ability to go against it. Books are free. Maintaining social connections is also free or at least cheap as the price for food you would pay anyway.

You know what is being done to you. That is all you need to know to act against it.

Start a club, with focus on science, technology and doing something to make yourself productive despite no need for said products.

One of the activity that is really cheap is gardening, growing vegetables, and if you want to be innovative, growing mushroom too. You can literally get the dirt from outside, the containers too, just some plastic buckets from the trash. Get the seeds and you are set.

All you need to find is another person being kept on the same lifesupport as you. With your growing social network, you can find somebody who has a grandfather who has a workshop in their garden shed. Then you can tackle projects like recycling plastic ( http://preciousplastic.com ), or building machines devised by David J. Gingery from scrap aluminium. Or otherwise repurposing the trash.

Don't just passively consume media and play videogames. That is what those who want you to stay on welfare want you to do. To keep you pacified.
>>
>>34662078
hahahahaha as if. Ordering a chippy and gonna watch a film, then a have a wank and sleep after it. Then gonna wait til I die. Nice try dad
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.