[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is getting a bachelors in computer science a good idea? Or just a meme

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

File: images.png (13KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
13KB, 284x177px
Is getting a bachelors in computer science a good idea? Or just a meme
>>
Only if you have a passion for it. You need to be a fanatic when it comes to CS.
>>
>>34647048
>>34647129
this isn't true

you just will dislike your job like most people if you aren't passionate about it
>>
>>34647144
coding will crush your soul if you don't like it
>>
File: g-side.png (260KB, 498x1480px) Image search: [Google]
g-side.png
260KB, 498x1480px
>>34647173
>coding will crush your soul if you don't like it

it takes a special kind of person to find joy in coding
>>
I mean if you have CS degree you can always fall back on IT. You should never be working at McDonalds.
>>
>>34647225
There are so many people with CS degree who didn't know what they wanted from life and are below average at their job.

They are not getting a job other than at McDonalds.
>>
>>34647225
>I mean if you have CS degree you can always fall back on IT. You should never be working at McDonalds.

I have a CS degree and after being NEET for a few years, no IT firm wants anything to do with me. NEET time is fucking toxic on an resume no matter what degree you have.
>>
Well if someone's only reason for doing a CS degree is "I like computers" (and they just like using computers, not learning about how they work) and they finish with a shit gpa and no internships then they deserve to fail
>>
>>34647048
If you use the word 'meme' they way you do, do not bother, you are not smart enough.
>>
>>34647297
Is it really that bad? I thought it was supposed to be one of the best degrees.

>>34647468
Just lie and say you worked at McDonalds the time you were a NEET, they will never check
>>
>>34647048
Most people in the workplace are fucking old and don't understand computers. IT is the easiest job in the universe for robots as long as you can manage to be polite. Being socially awkward doesn't matter since normies expect their IT guys to be social misfits. Just help idiots with their obvious computer problems and get a livable paycheck. Being a coder is a lot more challenging than being an IT generalist, which is a hell of a lot easier. Society will always need patient IT dipshits to explain simple computing to the abject, hopeless retards that populate society and the workplace..
>>
>>34647492
You say that with full confidence, but we both know that it's an act. It's very easy to argue that that's exactly what it means, and as I am probably smarter than you, I'd win that argument and you'd be left sobbing and wondering why you chose to waste the time in the first place. It'd be a mess and you'd be dealing with all the fallout and it'd just be an ugly affair in general. So how about you just delete your comment, pretend you never read mine and leave it at that?
>>
>>34647552
"so it says here you left a job paying $50K and used your CS degree to work at McDonalds for 4 years. Tell me about that."
>>
>>34647565
>he thinks people get a cs degree just to become sysadmins
>>
>>34647587
Then make up a better lie. Say you were sick or traveled the world or something.
>>
The typical income for someone with a computer science degree is certainly above average. That's without a doubt true. It's not true that you will just be handed a job that pays $65,000 as soon as you graduate. You will need to work hard in school, leave with a high GPA and still spend months applying to dozens of jobs. Computer science is also a difficult field that you'll have to work very hard to learn. If it turns out that you don't like it there isn't much else you can do with a CS degree.
>>
File: fefe.jpg (45KB, 450x470px) Image search: [Google]
fefe.jpg
45KB, 450x470px
The field of computer science is getting incredibly saturated incredibly quickly. Not a lot of meaningful CS jobs left. Even if you are good at it, you are still likely to end up doing ETL or web development (both incredibly tedious) or analyzing data for junkmail campaigns or some other soul-decaying meaningless menial bullshit
>>
>>34647468
You have bad social skils if you can't navigate around that. Just say you were taking care of your sick mother.
>>
>>34647720
>>34647726
What major would you recommend instead then?
>>
>tfw majored in comp sci because it paid better than anything else and didn't require a lot of math
>don't even hate math, the homework just takes forever and i got by without doing most of it anyway
>don't even care about if i like my job or not, was just in it for the money and dont have connections for business or anything
>at least i minored in a foreign language
how fucked am I? it's not like i can hate life anymore than i do already
>>
>>34647216
is this true?

then why are they beta in bed? why can't control their sperg?
>>
>>34647048
Only if you are genius/clever than average. I am doing maths/cs, mostly focused on maths. I've been to an interview recently and failed. There were pretty hard questions, and it requires to be an outstanding person to answer them. I think I have enough passion, I somewhat enjoy coding, I am just stupid.
>>
>>34647808
corporate punching bag
>>
>>34647808
Mathematics or statistics. If you are charismatic, go for finance (it's mostly business with a little math)
>>
>>34647808
Depends what you want do more than anything else. The only real "meme" when it comes to college majors is that there is one that will give you a high paying job that requires no effort. Some have higher pay on average, but all will get you a premium compared to a high school diploma and all will require hard work on your part to get a job. So you're best bet is find something that legitimately interests you and study that and come up with a realistic plan for how you can use it and be honest with yourself about what you can realistically earn with that degree.
>>
>>34647821
Computer science typically requires quite a bit of math. I'm surprised that your program doesn't.
>>
>>34647843
It is true. I wont code it I could spend time with girls and friends.
>>
>>34647821
You're irrevocably fucked. You should not have gone to college at all. Robots do not benefit from college in any way, shape, or form
>>
>>34647860
>Only if you are genius/clever than average.
Yeah, keep stroking your own ego. CS is one of the easiest stem degrees
>>
>>34647905
I didn't have to pay for it so that's why I went, not really fucked at all tbqh
>>
>>34647871
I wanted to do statistics but every career (that I looked up) needs a least a masters to get in the door (according to google)
>>
>>34647908
My degree is maths/stats, I just took a couple of cs optionals. Ant the point of my post is that cs degree is easy, however finding a job, even an internship is way challenging, so what's the point of cs degree at the first place.
>>
>>34647574
I am willing to bet you are actually mildly retarded. The short bus isn't a good thing, and when people say you are 'special' it is not a complement. Fucking tard. Go for CS actually, I will enjoy my six figures when you drop out at the 200 level.
>>
compsci degrees are a waste of time, in any actual tech hub it's irrelevant
>>
>>34647860
it's way to hard on purpose brobot, the point is to see how you calmly try to attack the problem from multiple directions and 'neva give up'
>>
>>34647959
Always funny when college students talk about their "six figures" as if it's a forgone conclusion.
>>
You're all so fucking depressing. CS isn't that hard. Pretty much all my seniors have gotten internships and plenty got great jobs. The issue is that you all give up before even trying.
>>
>>34647900
i meant the control part and bullying lol
>>
File: 1471304309879.jpg (56KB, 478x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471304309879.jpg
56KB, 478x720px
>>34647926
Huh well that's gay. Nonetheless, I would still recommend math or statistics (bachelors degree) and try to work for a startup or even just work as a freelancer. With the internet, and with all the fucking millennials hell bent on being le independent small business owners, spending years at a single corporate environment is no longer the norm. With a degree in statistics or math, you could definitely get temporarily hired by tons of different startups or entrepreneurs who just need a quick analysis done.

For example, there are TONS of companies out there who go to AIQ or Experian and say "tell me the demographics of all my customers." Then once they do that, they want someone to run simple logistic regression on the data and tell them who they should target. Such a job does not warrant hiring someone full time, so they will hire some statistics guy to do it for $3500 and then send you on your way. Normally startups do this because they want "le tacticool market data analytics"
>>
>>34647977
I've done something like this, but still I was
REJECTED
E_______E
J_______T
E_______C
C_______E
T_______J
E_______E
DETCEJER
>>
>>34648006
Ist all the sides of the same coin. Yes, I was bullied pretty much.
>>
I regret majoring in CS. Didn't even know what it was until I was 20 and have no idea how I ended up majoring in it. I made it through a few 300 level courses before dropping out.
>>
>>34647873
Well I want to do CS because I enjoyed programming games when I was a kid and that was probably the only remotely productive thing I've done in 24 years of life. Not going to college hasn't exactly worked out for me so far. So I guess I'll go to college for 4 years then kill myself when I can't find a job.
>>
>>34648059
I would suggest instead that you go to college for four years, work hard, maintain a high GPA, get an internship, and then get a job instead.

I wasn't trying to tell you that it wasn't possible. You just have to work for it. If it was easy everyone would be rolling in money.
>>
>>34648043
okay then why do they seem like pussywhipped in gf relationships? like they fall for anyone no matter how unhygeniec or gross? i see this everywhere, and i dont konw if they are truly able to see or whats going on its a trend

so does that mean they control their gfs? or if comp sci people like controlling, wouldnt they be dominant in relationships or be able to control girls?/their girl
>>
File: 1485391167852.jpg (66KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485391167852.jpg
66KB, 960x720px
>>34647048
A degree in CS means little if you have little to show for it. Do research while you're in college, you get good money and it looks sexy on resumes.
>>
>>34647759
>bad social skills

Motherfucker, where do you think you are?
>>
>>34647946
Is statistics degree hard?
I mean math will obviously be difficult but is it insanely tough?
>>
>>34647926
>>34647871
Stats is fine. But you will be joining most companies as an analyst, you don't need a masters at all. Or you can join a consulting company (you can't be autismo though).
>>34647048
comp sci is a solid major, but it's actually hard to get a degree in.. If you think you can handle it, go for it.
>>
>>34648123
Simply saying, I am ugly, and a significant amount of cs students are, but still there are plenty of normies who went there for money.

Cs people, at least the robot part of them, is incapable of controlling a girl(cos ugly, weak), so we choose to control a silicon rock instead.
>>
>>34648123
The point is that CS majors DON'T know how to control people. That's why they like computers. They can read a fucking book on how to control computers, but no matter what, they can never figure out how to control people. They can't control women, they can't control bullies. As a result, CS guys feel at the mercy of women. They don't understand women, they don't understand the input/output of social interactions.
>>
I almost fell for the coding meme OP but it isn't the only way you can branch. You can do storages, networking, databases, middleware (or devops). I really dislike coding (aside from writing SQL and shell scripts) but you can still get a job in the field.
>>
>>34648152
Not really. If you are not like me, always depressed, sleep bad, then you will probably end up with 2:1 at least. However I'm just a first year, maybe it will get harder.
>>
>>34648181
>Simply saying, I am ugly, and a significant amount of cs students are, but still there are plenty of normies who went there for money.
there's only like 3 autists in my cs classes
then again my uni is legitimately normie central
>>
>>34648152
I would say they are a bit harder than computer science. So basically, math and stats are on par with engineering, as far as difficulty goes
>>
File: 1462659556889.png (272KB, 417x809px) Image search: [Google]
1462659556889.png
272KB, 417x809px
>>34647048
the other day a i heard the insight that sitting
on the computer all day thinkking and solving problems drains your energy. Like in social energy, and you don't want to do shit all day, or when you go to a cafe, club, restaurant whatever you don't want to approach people and stuff.

So while some of us may be driven to computers, because we can't deal with people, it might just perpetuate our problems..

(im doing a part cs degree soon) makes me think my dudes..
>>
>>34648197
> my mother forced me to read about how to make friends
> have 0 friends
>>
File: babe_for_trump.jpg (56KB, 618x407px) Image search: [Google]
babe_for_trump.jpg
56KB, 618x407px
>>34648214
>I'm just a first year

>I'm completely unqualified to answer this question but I will go ahead and answer the question

I think your college's suicide rate is a little low anon, could you do something about that? Fucking worthless waste of life
>>
>>34648216
Go away norm, please, I am tired of you irl.
>>
>>34648266
You are retard and I dont want to explain why.
>>
>>34648269
I'm autistic too, I just don't make bee movie jokes to the class and I know when to shave
>>
File: make_hogwarts_great_again.jpg (613KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
make_hogwarts_great_again.jpg
613KB, 1024x768px
>>34648227
Really fucking true. Honestly, a CS degree might seem like the perfect fit for a robot. But in reality, probably the best thing a robot could possibly do for himself is to go into the military...
>>
>>34648333
> shave
I dont see the reason at this point already.

>>34648344
> to go into the military and shoot himself
>>
>>34648360
> at this point already.
I should go to sleep, but I already fucked it up, I dont want to wake up at 3pm, what to do?
>>
>>34648227
The vast majority of comp sci grads will get jobs on agile teams and have to work with people from different disciplines as well. You have to deal with people as much as any other stem major
>>
>>34647871
Math is a meme. Do not listen to anyone that tells you to major in math (applied as well).
>>
File: 1479326962227.jpg (163KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479326962227.jpg
163KB, 1920x1080px
>>34648344
tfw when the military won't take you because you've been to the psych ward

Any other government programs that can net me loads of benefits?
>>
>>34647048

As long as you get a B.S. and not a B.A.
Enjoy that /comfy/ tech job security...

That's what I did. But remember all the money in the world won't make you a chad. You'll still be a lonely little shit.
>>
>>34648585
>tfw had a bipolar manic episode once and had my post graduation naval engineering gig ruined
life is cruel
>>
>>34648435
>t. women studies major
>>
>>34647216
I enjoy it. It's what I do at home after work at my job as a developer.
>>
>>34648435
How? Math is involved in just about everything and is super important to know.
>>
>>34648914
What do they actually do on them? Learn how to use Tinder?
>>
>>34648937
math isn't involved in love
or being socially likeable ;)
or being a good person
>>
>>34649004
Hi red_dit :^)
Why don't I have a gf?
>>
>>34648914
>>34648937
Graduated in applied math.

You learn stats, linear algebra, differential eqns, and I did a lot of econ/finance because that was my applied emphasis.

No job in finance because no accounting degree, no job is cs because no cs degree, no job in stats because no stata degree,...

People say they like math majors, but then they don't hire them.
>>
only go for the degree if you're gonna make connections and try to reach out for opportunities
otherwise don't complain when you couldn't get an internship or people socialized to get themselves a job
as long as you have a decent portfolio it shouldn't matter too much
>>
>>34649462
Have you tried becoming an actuary?
>>
>>34649462
Why not learn to code on your own and become a quant?
>>
>>34647587
"I, for one, wanted to have the least amount of responsibility in my life at least for a few short years."

Seriously, Lester Burnhams reason is good enough for me
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.