[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>wanna program in python with me, anon?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 26

File: 1463952329556.jpg (130KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1463952329556.jpg
130KB, 1024x1024px
>wanna program in python with me, anon?
>>
I only know bits of C and I hate programming anyway, go away.
>>
Python's a scripting language, not a programming language, you insipid bitch.

>go home
>get on computer
>post on internet wondering why girls aren't attracted to me
>>
File: 1470743205649.jpg (136KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1470743205649.jpg
136KB, 960x1280px
Superior k/g/f coming through.
>>
>>34623194
>tfw no homely hacker gf
>>
>>34623241
>emacs
i think i'm actually in love
>>
>>34623194
I know I do

teach me
>>
Who the fuck is this tell me now so I can obsess about a life I will never live with her or anyone else
>>
I just know a little of sql, although i don't remember why
>>
Yeah I don't know what the fuck that is you fucking gook. Gimme ur number. Gonigchiwa
>>
File: 2sgCLic6.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
2sgCLic6.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
>>34623276
https://twitter.com/bcrypt?lang=en
Enjoy yourself.
>>
>>34623224
There is really no real difference between a programming language or a scripting language as both re turing complete. The terms are really only used to distinguish between the type of tasks one would typically do in a language, as such, if you're designing/implementing algorithms or working with data structures or doing things other than automating tasks in python, you're programming.

tldr: python can be considered both, inbred
>>
>>34623295
>responding to freshmen cs students
come on anon, you know better
>>
>>34623366
no he doesn't, he's a computer programmer
>>
>>34623194
sure. shame she's in sf though and part of that hivemind. reminds me of my ex
>>
I used to program a lot the past year but depression killed my creativity almost completely.
>>
File: im with her.png (479KB, 900x973px) Image search: [Google]
im with her.png
479KB, 900x973px
>>34623366
>>34623393
>tfw nothing better to do than to respond to CS freshmen on a friday night
>>
>>34623194

nah, kind of want to focus on java right now.
>>
>>34623241
Don't interact with Koreans idiot

we don't want them to infect the West like they did Japan

tolerate them at best but show them no kindness
>>
>>34623293
Nevermind she's an SJW CIA nigger
>>
>>34623257
Shouldn't you be having nasal sex with dead plants, Stallman-oppa?
>>
>>34623194
This chick some sort of /g/ meme?
>>
>>34623194
$pip3.5 install no-fuck-off
>>
>>34623444
>tfw senior ME when I can earn soo much more with CS
>>
>>34623224
>you insipid bitch.
look up her credentials anon

she is quite a bit more intelligent than anyone here
>>
>>34623194
"Ahh, I see you decided to program in a shit-tier language. Oh well, I guess more C# for me then!"
>>
>>34623194
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Python, is in fact, GNU/Python, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Python. Python is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Python, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Python, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Python is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Python is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Python added, or GNU/Python. All the so-called Python distributions are really distributions of GNU/Python!
>>
File: 1431399443661.jpg (5KB, 208x250px) Image search: [Google]
1431399443661.jpg
5KB, 208x250px
>>34623194
>python
>not lua w/luajit
incredibly large amounts of kek being sold here, mother fuckers and mother fuckettes
>>
>>34624056
>the "credentials = intelligence" meme
kekerino
>>
>>34624056
she seems pretty smart and productive. look at her github
>>
Fuck python and any software built on it. The fact that my opensuse distro comes with it includes because so much software is built on it puts me on suicide watch because all those shitty updates come with loads of vunrabilities you script kiddie roastie don't speak to me.
>>
>>34624142
Noooo u don't understand its so easy to understand and the forced formatting is nice for me because I should have been naturally selected.... Scripting languages are useful but python is scum tier trash.
>>
>>34624527
Python is one of the best high-level languages actually. Personally I'm a C guy, but I realize how useful python is for prototyping. If you can't recognize that, then you're probably a retarded code-monkey and your opinion is worthless anyway.
>>
>>34624608
Python for protyping?? Why would I prototype anything with python when it will grant me absolutely no useful knowledge of how my system will preform. Sorry I prototype on a white board or in a note book. I am a C/C++ programmer as well and I genuinely don't understand this claim I can get python writing speed in golang with much better performance?
>>
all these big words are scary anons. can I learn to program as an ADD half retard whose good at math?
>>
>>34624684
if you overcome your fear of learning, yes.
>>
>>34624608
Are you actively worried that your ideas won't work period and not that they won't work do to preformance related issues? What the fuck could be that complicated lol or do you have very small working memory and very far fetched ideas?
>>
>>34624672
Surely you know better than google, right NEET?

>when it will grant me absolutely no useful knowledge of how my system will preform
>I prototype on a white board or in a note book
Yeah, prototyping on a notebook will surely give you more knowledge on how your system will actually perform, right?

You autists are actually hilarious.

>>34624736
t. fizzbuzz pro
>>
File: UCzFvOm.png (260KB, 498x1480px) Image search: [Google]
UCzFvOm.png
260KB, 498x1480px
>>34623444
Thanks to /r/4chin for this one
:^DD
>>
>>34624672
> Python for protyping??

Yes. In the real world we commonly prototype in python. We are not worried about order analysis or performance. We are trying to show a proof of concept.

> Sorry I prototype on a white board or in a note book

That isn't a prototype. At best you are drawing UML of some future prototype.

> I am a C/C++ programmer

That is great it your primary concern is about the efficiency of compiled code. If network latency, database access, or other external data access / processing is what limits your throughput, you are better off writing in a higher level language. We tend to be able to write the same number of bug free lines of code per day regardless of the language. If language performance is not key, you are best off writing in the most dense language. this is usually python.
>>
>>34624760
Yeah it will because I can quickly check its runtime complexity and didn't need to waste time writing out my idea to see if it works. Any remotely complicated task will be with managing hardware resources.... I am pro Google where did get that? Python is better than java I guess lol and people clearly need stuff like that at large corporations but I have never seen a project that interests me that uses python.
>>
>>34624720
it's not that im afraid its that i cannot focus
>>
>>34624874
You peice of shit and you know nothing about programming. Anyone with a shred of programming knowledge knows that java is supior to python. Learn to write a recursive algorithm FAGGOT
>>
File: 1421550593236.jpg (35KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1421550593236.jpg
35KB, 200x200px
>>34624874
>prototyping amounts to simply checking runtime complexity
>>
>>34624760
Fizzbuzz you got to be shitting me you don't even need to manage memory to do that in C....
>>
>>34624874
>>34624927
>reread the post
Top satire, anon.

Poe's law in effect.
>>
>>34624927
Than why would I need python I am so confused..... Pseudocode in a text document has got to be faster nullifying any benefit of python you have described...
>>
daily reminder that python devs had the audacity to name part of their system easy-install
>>
>>34624920
Runtimes worse, its too handholdy and java virtual machine is a joke.
>>
>>34623194
>azn girls with those 1-2 badly dyed streaks of highlight in their hair, blue pink green purple etc
>abandoned by their race

>hated by all asians
>slutty and unclassy, burps and :B

sorry but how low can you go
don't answer that i'm going to pretend i never opened this thread because i feel sick.
>>
>>34625006
JVM can eat my asshole
>>
>>34624861
I would still go compiled over interpreted if I was proof of concepting for my own sanity I have had interpreted cost me a lot of time because I am not used to using it outside of simple tasks in college that could be done in C just as quickly.
>>
>>34623194
*dates one white guy to prove she's not like the other asians*

>had no moral values to begin with
>can't get anyone to like her or love in asia and america
>has to become yellow bait 4 thirsty frailboys
>>
>>34623194
Can I get a timestamp nigger
>>
>>34624108
.... i'm so wet.... oh mg.......... say that again.
>>
>>34624949
I really don't understand why I would want to waste time proofing a concept to someone and than have to completely remake it in C if I had to demonstrate a concept that was sufficiently complicated to warrant needing proof?
>>
>>34625157
Time to make actual project in C? 2 months
Python? 3 days

Now you can present that to your boss and decide from there if that's the approach you want to take.
>>
>>34623495
>SJW CIA nigger
T...Terry Davis?
>>
>>34623257
>emacs instead of vim
you can have her
>>
File: v.jpg (139KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
v.jpg
139KB, 1080x1080px
pic-asians
>doesn't need to get affection from michael cera types ez-pz

op-washedupasian
>is okay with the fact that she's used as yellow gf fetish for turboautistspergaronis even though her bf, and herself, both know she's nothing remotely asian-anything
>>
>be gook CS major
>white guys monopolize the few white and asian-american girls
>fob asian girls only talk to fob asian guys and ignore everyone else

I need VR and sexbots to become a thing sooner than later
>>
>>34625200
Really? I genuinely don't believe those numbers from experience. No one tends to work so far outside their speciality that they would be so unfamiliar with the memory management patterns and libraries to have that problem but I could imagine that I could imagine somethings that would take me much longer to work out bug free so it just depends on the environment I guess. I would still go for golang in those cases. My real concern about software built around python resulting in its required inclusion is my os still holds though. Many of the tasks that would result in that big of a difference I would say lua would solve.
>>
>>34624920
eh well at my company we use aws lambdas, and since we can't use node (doesn't have some libraries we need), and the jvm start up time is terrible, python is actually the best choice.

I mean, sure, if you have everything at your disposal then I wouldn't pick python, but it is better in some cases.
>>
i like my asians classy and feminine
>>
why do crackers always go for the trashiest "girls"?

is it because they're the easiest and most unliked?

or is everyone blind
>>
find yourself a good girl

who doesn't have poor taste in hair care?
>>
>>34625289
It's not like you're writing a full version in python for those 3 days, just enough to demo the proof-of-concept at your 2x week sprint meeting.
>>
>>34623194
program? haha wow you're such a fucking nerd, get out of here
>>
>>34625360
Because girls like that don't hang out where I hang out and will think less of me for doing degenerate things. Class literally translates to following set social rules and I am far too much of a dissenter for that.
>>
File: h.gif (193KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
h.gif
193KB, 500x404px
>oh wow a girl who codes
>lets jump her brains out!

lots of girls know how to code, and not simply programming - they were the ones designing websites via self-taught and making pretty graphics before you were aware of your own sexuality <3
>>
File: syscmd.png (323KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
syscmd.png
323KB, 500x488px
but then i forgot it was an MIT student who created Seeking Arrangement

>it appears comp-savviness destroys all sense of judgment, self-awareness, insight
>>
>>34625445
Sounds like the bane of my existence. Ill take a military systems girl over that trash any day they have been around just as long.
>>
>>34625404
god forbid you step out of your room
>>
File: eeeew.jpg (59KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
eeeew.jpg
59KB, 640x640px
>>34625489
please go ahead, i cringe/laugh

literally no words need to be said when people pass by
>>
File: ã…‹ã…Ž.png (970KB, 788x1186px) Image search: [Google]
ã…‹ã…Ž.png
970KB, 788x1186px
>tfw you try to sympathize with the losers and you realize that's all they can get
>>
Sure, I really like it.
It and C cover most of my needs
>>
>>34625113
>I am not used to using it outside of simple tasks in college that could be done in C just as quickly.

You missed the entire point. You use it when the code can't be written is C nearly as quickly. Proof of concept code exists for no other reason than to justify writing efficient stress-tested code is worth the time expenditure.
>>
Python is shit, way too high level. If you can't tell me what section vtables live in, I don't want you tainting me
>>
>>34625385
I feel like that's one step above a job where I got to program in ruby you are braver than me. Its got to be pretty sufficiently complex for me to run off from C things like scanning through for forced formatting errors and pythons interpreted nature would make it just as slow for me in this situation but you clearly use Python and I clearly use C instinctively for this stuff so its a comfort factor and if its not requires by your job I wouldn't use it over golang because if libraries are an issue I am in C already. Its clearly jacks slow brother of all trades and people like that though.
>>
>>34623194
it's https://www.instagram.com/lauralee/
>>
>>34625563
If I hear stress tested I am hearing test suite because any real stress outside of minor edge case bugs is going to arise is performace. I just don't see why it is any better than golang for this task if my code will never be seen by anyone again and most C programmers are going to be able to read golang just as easily if my code will be referenced again. I also really would prefer compiled language for a test suite anyways for my own sanity and time.
>>
>>34625563
Not to mention the myriad of things that can't even be demonstrated because they are impossible in python.
>>
>>34625657
> m-muh multithreaded parallelism

kek
python is shit but it's still turing complete
>>
>>34625702
Wait I don't use those features... Its the compiled nature that I like.
>>
>>34625721
>Using anything other than shellcode in 2017
Stop
>>
>>34625721
what things can't be done in python that can be done in whatever languages you're referring to? (which are what exactly, I didn't read the whole thread)
>>
File: 1485438544097.png (118KB, 330x390px) Image search: [Google]
1485438544097.png
118KB, 330x390px
Why does Python make people so butthurt?
>>
>>34623194
>tfw this looks just like a girl you slept with who drifted away

Why such a feel robobros? :,^)
>>
>>34625773
because it's truly a meme language.

no advantages over other languages aside from it's "readability", which is only important if you're not a skilled user of any other language.
>>
>>34624108
didnt i read this on that terry davis guy's vid where he "takes down linux" and then someone made this exact comment (with Linux instead of Python Kek)

Not that i understand anything about this but i read it atleast, and then terry responded by calling him a nigger and that hes smarter than linus thorvalds
>>
>>34625812
Goddamn you're new
>>
>>34625792
Then why do companies like Google use it?
>>
>>34625826
Because all the web languages are memes, Java is aids
node is aids
PHP is the worst language ever made
>Ruby
There aren't many choices, and writing real websites with c takes way too long
>>
>>34625826
Its better than java for managing full-scale projects because of jvm so tbat
>>
>>34625859
>>34625860
So it's not a meme?
>>
>>34625891
Everything that doesn't expose pointers or can't issue direct syscalls is a meme imho
>>
File: 1458425531877.png (316KB, 685x960px) Image search: [Google]
1458425531877.png
316KB, 685x960px
>>34625773
>Why does Python make people so butthurt?
because it's popular
>>
>>34625746
Without extensive work with Ctypes to wrap libraries that will take longer than your whole project? What about OS's where python has been ported? What about programming integrated circuits? What about things like kernel code where it would things would be effectively impossible because of demand on cpu? I don't think you can make a decent sized project with opencl or openal even with python for the same reason if there even is a wrapper.
>>
Anyone read her blog? I feel bad for her.

>hs dropout
>obsessed with dank memes
>MIT trade school
>typical liberal from LA
>only talks about programming
>constantly drunk
>26

She's already a one year old Christmas cake
>>
>>34625964
What OS can't run python?
>>
>>34625746
I would also use something like sql for a lot of tasks that I would use c or python for and I would use lua in a lot of places python has a deserved use.
>>
>>34625826
because it's easy for beginners to learn quickly.

it's literally a least common denominator language
>>
>>34626002
Its only an issue with BSD in the real world honestly.
>>
>>34626024
That's becoming js
Every shitty frontend developer now thinks they are a real engineer now because of node, and they all write shitty insecure code that is slow as fuck
>>
File: js.jpg (107KB, 735x736px) Image search: [Google]
js.jpg
107KB, 735x736px
I would show her my Python.
>>
>>34626024
It's also easy for advanced programmers and professionals, very extensible (well documented C-API, nice wrapping tools like SWIG or Cython) and has lots of scientific libraries made for it, so data analysts and statisticans love to use it as well.
>>
>>34626087
The use it in a lot of labs so the less skilled programmers can still do things.
>>
Oh hey someone I know.
I met her a while back. She's cool.
Inb4 normie. I've only met her once.
>>
>>34626087
You lose some of the magic from programming though, you can't use things like unions to optimize heap/stack allocations and CPU instruction caching, instead using the full 4/8 bytes for something that might only require 1
>>
>>34626104
I've seen people who suck at programming do Python and their code is still horrible and may have broken logic. So it does NOT help in that regard.
>>
>>34626138
Yeah but they can conduct their little side expirements off of your repository or whatever. Its how its done in a ton of physics labs.
>>
>>34626137
Wrong, Python can use unions via FFI and of course modules written in C.
https://docs.python.org/2/library/ctypes.html#structures-and-unions
>>
File: 4L_4T0dQd74.jpg (101KB, 804x743px) Image search: [Google]
4L_4T0dQd74.jpg
101KB, 804x743px
>>34623293
What a cunt. I have no problem with women in tech but seeing them form an entire personality around it and constantly tweeting about it. It's super fucking obvious she's doing it for male attention. And of course she'd keep them all as beta orbiters.

Before you call me a hypocrite, yes it's also upsetting when men form an entire personality around it as well. It's fucking annoying and it makes you look like a pompous faggot trying to show off his skills.
>>
>>34626137
Any optimization outside of memory allocation is hard to justify as compilers get better though and it often ends up creating problems down the line though I personally love working with assembly or any instrinsics though I'm sure with extensive work arounds to essentially just be using an obfuscated c inside the python intepretor you could get the exact same results hypothetically.
>>
>>34626176
But you are still right, the FFI case is only so you can communicate with system DLLs, not for optimization.
>>
>>34625995
Christmas cakes are best.

>>34625737
>2017
>Shellcode
Is this a joke? If youre not ROPing you're a decade out of date.
>>
>>34626197
As I posted there is nothing obfuscated about it. If you write functions in C you can easily make them available in Python as a module. Modules don't have to be py files but can also be shared libraries that expose a certain interface
https://docs.python.org/2/c-api/
Most interpreter builtins are written that way and it's neither obfuscated nor hacky.
>>
>>34626197
It also plays a large role in networking.
There are still a lot of reasons to do your own optimizations, game engines do it a significant bit, it's nice knowing exactly what's going to be thrown in your l2.
>>34626221
No reason for rop when a sadly large amount of linux bins don't have aslr :^)
>>
>>34626244
You can do that in golang as well though and having the option to compile is a godsend for me if you care about my full argument. Its relatively clean but its not pretty in either golang or python to do it and I still can't see the advantage of python over c++ in anyway for these tasks plus you are now forcing me to have python by doing this which sucks because its a lot of vulnerabilities in my system you are introducing.
>>
>>34623194
ayyyy alright.

super doopar origamino
>>
>>34626314
You clearly know your shit.
>>
>>34626314
Next Debian release is going to be all pie bro ;)
>>
>>34626366
Fuck debian I'm opensuse master race boi
>>
>>34626347
I'm presuming that we have an executable buffer and a way to control rip already, which is usually not the case. You'd still most likely need to rop to change the memory protections and gain execution
>>
>>34626317
>I still can't see the advantage of python over c++
You need considerably more boilerplate in C++ to do the same thing and even more boilerplate if you want to do stuff right (e.g. using std::array<int, 10> instead of just int[10]).
If you refrain from doing stuff right, for example because it's too much writing for the simple thing you want to do) you get rewarded with hard to debug errors and in the worst case security holes.
>>
>>34623194
I only learned C and I found it to be boring.

Designing pcbs is more my speed.
>>
File: 1477424465941.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1477424465941.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>too stupid to learn programming
>will have to work in retail for the rest of my life
i really wish i wasnt a brainlet
>>
>>34626420
there's nothing wrong with using int[], you just need to know what's going into it, it's a lot less memory than an std::array
>>
>>34626459
Now you are just bullshitting me, std::array does not need one bit more than int[].
And yes there are things wrong with int[], because when you pass it to a function it gets stripped to a raw pointer and the size information is not accessible anymore. You have to make it a separate parameter which is error prone (e.g. you are too lazy to write size_t and accidentally use int).
>>
>>34626498
Since you have such a hard-on on premature optimization: Extra parameter is also slower because you clobber a register you could use otherwise.
>>
does programming require knowledge of math?
because I completely failed that shit.
>>
>>34626555
For a career? No. To be well versed in every area and to do what you probably assume a programmer can do yes.
>>
>>34626443
Any idiot can learn programming these days. Crack open a few books and try making some projects on your spare time.

Seriously, coding is the next new meme normies have been pushing on today's youth and the current market is over saturated in software jobs. Better you learn something now and get into the market while it's still fresh.
>>
>>34626555
Generally not (besides basic arithmetics), but it requires similar thinking.
Depending on which domain you are programming in you need math (e.g. lots of linear algebra in anything 3D graphics related).
>>
>>34623194
Yo str8 up im going to start college in this.
Im 20 and have no clue what tf im doing.
Do i got this
>>
>>34626555
If it does, it really isn't much math past highschool level. But depends on the applications.
>>
>>34626591
Probably its not very hard.
>>
>>34626591
Yea you'll be fine. Coding is not difficult at all. In the early days of programming, women were actually at the forefront of it all. Goes to show you it doesn't require a lot of brainpower to write a few if then else statements.
>>
>>34626498
you have to compile in the entire std::array meme to facilitate it, it's a bit more of a memory footprint, i was over exaggerating though as it's a one time cost.
>>
>>34626658
It requires no extra memory at runtime. I would even go as far as to doubt in consumes extra memory in the binary, because it's probably compiles to the same code as int[STATIC CONSTANT] and later in the function "size_t i; while(i < STATIC CONSTANT)...", where it shines because no extra parameter is needed.
>>
>>34623194
I know a bit of C. Mostly VHDL and Verilog.

t. electrical engineer
>>
File: 1485558868976.png (389KB, 500x540px) Image search: [Google]
1485558868976.png
389KB, 500x540px
>>34626586
I like jrpgs and have been wanting to make a completely 2d one for awhile. thinking about getting on that soon.

I'm willing to learn the skills I need.
>>
>>34626643
.... Grace Hopper is my waifu back off nerd she had skills.
>>
>>34626692
There's a lot of very hard challenges requiring you to learn things you have never before in your future. Not a bad thing though.
>>
>>34626684
are all the functions in <array> templates? if so then ya you're right
>>
>>34626687
I should have studied EE instead of pure math. What a great subject I love learning about it every time.
>>
>>34626719
what do you mean anon?

gottabeoriginal
>>
>>34626756
How do you make save files that aren't easily manipulated?
>>
>>34626772
encryption, would at least require extracting the key from the binary to decrypt
>>
>>34626737
It's hell trying to get a job though. I've applied to well over 100 jobs and got 5 interviews with no job offers.

I guess that's just the grind of getting that first job. Especially when the market is already so oversaturated.
>>
>>34626787
I really want a job working on synthesizers but the programmers are all EE back ground very few system programmers get a shot on the programming side its all EE phds but I believe you when you say its that bad. Thanks for crushing my dream of going back to school for EE ;)
>>
>>34625445
But you're a 'can't do STEM' in the head ass

Level up, cunt
>>
>>34626734
It was only an example, though. C++ has lots and lots of these shenanigans.
Just pick a "simple" project like a socket based http server and you will see it will be considerably simpler to do in Python, even if you use "lower level" facilities (sys, os, socket and threading, maybe gzip and argparse).
If you can't see the advantage after that there is no other way I could convince you.
>>
>>34626838
I found that the less levels of abstraction that exist the easier networking is. Maybe I'm crazy.
>>
>>34626838
oh i know it is, i actually had to write a pretty complex socket client/server for work in c recently, i've written sites using shit like pytornado before and it's insanely simple, but knowing exactly what is going on in memory definitely has it's place, you just can't do that with python
>>
>>34626813
Either the market is oversaturated or I'm just retarded and doing something wrong. I want to believe I'm just doing something wrong because at least I'm not fighting a pointless battle.

If EE is your passion, I'd say go for it. With your math background, you'll be able to hold your own in a lot of 3rd year courses where most EE majors would struggle because of all the math involved.
>>
>>34626772
You don't because its the players own fault if they want to ruin the experience.
>>
>>34626893
Yeah but I could also just do software synths or build my own synths and ship them without squandering the time. Sorry about having trouble finding a job become a ruby programmer that's what every social scientist I know does for a job.
>>
>>34626901
Or you use a crypto hash but I like your style
>>
>>34626883
You are more than Temple-OS kind of crazy when you make your own hardware because store bought cards are too abstract.
>>
>>34626917
Fair enough, once you have a degree, you're pretty much golden for a lot of jobs even outside your field so as long as you can show for it.

>become a ruby programmer
Yeah I want little to nothing to do with programming. I'm more into hardware design (pcb design and assembly). I think I just need to start looking in the states for work, hongcouver is cancer for tech.
>>
>>34626901
Or you use a crypto hash but I like your style. Ever wrote to a screen before? Its a little bit of a task and so is integrating sound do you know anything about audio codecs? Its fun I'm not trying to scare you but everyone will tell you that you can never predict how much goes into it till you do it.
>>
>>34626976
>>34626692
I'll go ahead and bring up SDL. It's an multi-os, multi hardware library to provide you with a window/screen and do canvas like manipulations on it. Comes with an ecosystem that makes common stuff simple like SDL_ttf to render ttf fonts or SDL_audio to play sound.
Poor man's and open source DirectX if you will.

For 2D rpgish games there are also ready made engines, but I don't know how good they are.
>>
File: mushishi-ginko-scarf.png (173KB, 700x392px) Image search: [Google]
mushishi-ginko-scarf.png
173KB, 700x392px
>>34626976
There is no need to rush this in my life. I can take all the time I need to learn.
>>
>>34627083
I've used SDL extensively. It solves a lot of these problems but I was just trying to hint at the problems that will arise. How do you store and interact all that data for objects is a far less interesting one not solved by SDL.
>>
>>34627107
If you make a game the most import thing is how it looks and feels, code has little to do with that. It's more important to be good at storytelling, getting great artwork, putting up the appropriate mood via fitting sound design... code is just the part to glue this together and bring it to live. Besides controls and performance there is not much you can do programming wise to make a great game.
>>
>>34627107
Definitely do it I built the engine to one that my friends and I are still finishing. The warning signs are there for a reason though.
>>
>>34627145
I always felt like mechanics and programming went hand and hand. As someone that chases difficulty in games (catch me on tremulous I'm always shit talking as BigDaddyDMan) I believe programming players a larger role than you indicate.>>34627173
>>
>>34627083
I have the same problems with readily made engines as I have with using libraries to facilitate networking instead of just doing it the hard way in c++. Its always work arounds on workarounds.
>>
>>34627222
What do you think about things like protobuff for easier de/serialization
>>
>>34627145
Well, I've only recentlu started drawing. I'm not good of course, but I still have fun.

Making music is something I have no interest in however...
>>
>>34627199
Ok, as a disclaimer I never really made a game (just looked into graphics and sound for fun), I'm a for-profit dev thought and I couldn't make a good game or even half way aestetic GUI to safe my life. I always sucked at art and if I make a GUI prototype for something it always looks and feels like one of these shitty open source projects.
I the corporate environment I have people for this, but if I were on my own my software would suck, even though it theoretically does well what it is designed to do.
>>
>>34627243
Necessary evil but I would prefer an ideal world where we worked around encountering it but its used in the only real project I worked on involving networking and its never caused me any heartache. I also don't hopelessly persue low level control on ideological I am all about efficiency in runtime and construction. I believe that when you have to develop a new method to get something to work using a library that you will never encounter again you are wasting far to many intellectual resources when working with less abstraction will likely develop skills that and patterns that will be useful for much longer and in more situations for you.
>>
>>34627264
No I am won't argue with you about that its important period. Music and folly sound design also dramatically shape a game. But you can't have a great ui or interesting sound effects/music if you don't have an analytical way to approach including these features in a game. You can't eat ice cream every day and maintain your health of you don't exercise and diet enough to make it work!
>>
>>34623810
>$pip3.5 sudo no-fuck-off -f -F -force -FORCE
>>
>>34623295
>What is interpreted vs compiled
Compiled languages are "programming" languages, interpreted are scripting.
Learn your vernacular, fuckface
>>
>>34627646
So C is not a programming language because there are interpreters for it?
So Python is a "real" programming language because it has compiled implementations like Cython or Pyston (LLVM based)?
>>
>Mfw this bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcCbAjH2Jas
>>
File: 1483843363719.jpg (21KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
1483843363719.jpg
21KB, 500x315px
>>34623194
I wanna stick my penis in your pooper if that would be okay with you, asian grills are superior to western skanks
>>
>>34627697
No but type defing and garbage collecting do define the difference between script kiddy and leet haxr pro.
>>
File: gropeface 26 - Copy.jpg (783KB, 3040x2027px) Image search: [Google]
gropeface 26 - Copy.jpg
783KB, 3040x2027px
>>34623194
>python
what am I gluing today?
>>
>>34627697
Also >>ill ever get a sysadmin to allow me to install useful things to make things work the way I want to without handing out blow jobs like I'm a sorority girl.
>>
>>34627845
You're gay originally?
>>
>>34623224
Holy fuck you're stupid.

A programming language cannot be scripting or "programming". An implementation of a language may be interpreted, yet other implementations may be executed natively (IronPython).

That said...
>>34623194
jesus fuck no, give me a type system.
>>
>>34628158
Static vs Dynamic typing and strict vs weak typing are orthogonal concepts, just saying.
In Python an int always stays an int, it's even immutable. In C you can (float*) the shit out of an &int and nobody cares.
>>
>>34628224
No they're not.

"Dynamic typing" is not a thing - it's a term hijacked by people who wanted to sound smart. Dynamic type boils down to a proof that all propositions are true (Curry-Howard isomporphism). As Rob Harper likes to say dynamic languages are really unityped (one typed languages)

Weak typing is just (automatic or semiautomatic) coercion rules. Granted it ain't fun but most compilers and linter now recognize that it's insane.

Anyway weak typic doesn't come into play when you compare it against a unityped language

In C an int stays an int. That you may cast it into a pointer doesn't change the fact that the original int is still the same. A procedure expecting an int won't take a (float *) or a string.

C:
int foo(int x) { return x * x; }
// this will not compile
foo("bar")

python:
foo(x): return x * x

# the program that contain this statment will run until it's invoked
foo("bar")
>>
>>34628411
>function taking an int won't compile with float* or char*
It will, it's merely a warning because you are casting unsigned long to signed regular.
>>
>>34628543
More so in Python at least you GET a TypeError (granted, it's at runtime) but the C program will continue as if nothing happened and gives you the square of a (maybe truncated) address.
>>
>>34628543
what is -Wall
>>
>>34628688
GCC warns without -Wall but that still doesn't make your caim "does not compile" true.
>>
>>34628723
And it does not compile this program with -Wall.

#include <stdio.h>

int foo(int x) { return x * x; }

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
return foo("bar");
}
>>
>>34623224
>It's a scripting language
>Not a programamos language
Are you really this retarded?
>>
>>34628723
>>34628745
To add...

If you're using C for the love of god please use -ansi (or a subset you like) -Wall and --pedantic

If you don't - good, use a better language (and no python is not better).
>>
>>34628745
>lying on the internet
https://paste.fedoraproject.org/545367/04650148/

As an additional bonus: If the address is truncated and the square is bigger than 32bit the result is completely undefined for signed by the standard. May wrap, may return 0... whatever. What a great and type safe language :^)
>>
>>34628778
*Programming
(Fucking spellcheck)
>>
>>34628799
sorry my C is rusty -Werror not -Wall
>>
>>34628841
That's a debugging feature and not meant for production. Sometimes you know what you do and do something that triggers are warning (e.g. having unused parameters or casting const char* to char* or having a check that is alway true as a result of a macro expansion).
>>
>>34623194
>python
Babby's first language
>>
>>34628862
> That's a debugging feature and not meant for production

Well you want to catch programming errors during development time and you can switch that off for the release. That said:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Makefile
https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-11/msg00798.html

it really depends on the project/team.

Do you code in C? Because if not I really don't want to continue this discussion - I don't consider C to be a good language precisely because of those pitfalls and that you have to use linters and a shit load of compiler options to be safe.

If you haven't read it check out the articles from Carmac about how his team invest a shitton amount of money for static analysis tools.

> Sometimes you know what you do and do something that triggers are warning (e.g. having unused parameters or casting const char* to char* or having a check that is alway true as a result of a macro expansion).

You can build those separately and decrease the error surface.
>>
>>34629033
>Do you code in C?
Not if I can avoid it (i.e. problem is not performance critical or performance is bound by IO tasks), which is easily 90% of the time.
>>
Python is useless for anything over 100 lines unless its a web project using flask/django
>>
>>34629977
100 lines in Python or 100 lines in C? Because there is easily a factor 20 involved.
>>
>>34630010
Its not an exact measurement. I just meant that if you're going to create something that isn't a short script, you should just use an another language
>>
Can someone recommend easy Python projects?
I had to learn Python for a class I took this semester and I don't want all of it to be wasted.
>>
File: 1484523128053.png (549KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484523128053.png
549KB, 1920x1080px
>>34630831
Oregano (scientific name Origanum vulgare)
>>
>>34630884
Thenks a lot
>>
>>34623194
>"But ling lang-chan, I only clean up the floors here, I'm not a programmer."
>>
>>34625229
my nigga

Also FORTRAN minimalistic masterrace reporting in
>>
I would code in lisp with you qt ;)
>>
>>34623194

>tfw no hacker gf to put my python in
>>
>>34624672

It's a scripting language

you use it for one offs, calculations, and automation
>>
>>34624943
Im so lost on your response. Are you saying that in fizzbuzz u managing memory? Bc lol
>>
>>34631684

He's saying you don't need to do any memory management to do fizzbuzz in C
Thread posts: 213
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.