[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where were you when you realized "mental illness" is a meme?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1298.jpg (32KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1298.jpg
32KB, 320x320px
"Mental illness" seems like a gigantic joke. It's just a term used to describe people who act differently than those describing do.

I became "depressed" when I confronted pretty much every emotion I ever felt. I became cynical of the fact that I am an animal naturally reacting to stimuli. Any time I thought of doing something, I thought of how ironic it is that I would want to do that, how typical it is of a human.

Then I "cured" my "depression" by realizing that I have to exist in my own frame of reference anyway. My own emotions, sights, feelings are the only thing I know and I am a human so I may as well act through my emotions and live how I as a human want to.

Now I'm realizing I can literally do whatever I want. I could continue to be "depressed". I could become a normie. I could become "manic". I could become "sociopathic". I could go out and murder people. I could go out and do charity work. I could be an "introvert". I could be an "extrovert". I could be literally any overarching classification that psychology/society has come up with at the slightest whim.

People say "I can't change, I'm just <insert classification here>". I've been that several times. I've identified with some classification and thought "this is me, this represents me" but through considering what it means to "be me" to "be" a classification, realize that it is arbitrary and can decide not to be.

People who say they have a "mental illness" are just picking some classification, some character to play through this game of life with. They want so badly to fit some kind of role, and have such a tendency to stay in their role, that they fail to realize how arbitrary that role is in the first place.
>>
>every part of your body can get sick except your brain!!!
>>
>>34620736
Yeah man, you've got life all figured out!
>>
>>34620883
Except "mental illness" isn't some bacteria, virus, parasite causing you to think differently. If anything it's a damaged expression of the part in question; the handy thing being that you have control over how you think.
>>
>>34620736
>"Mental illness" seems like a gigantic joke. It's just a term used to describe people who act differently than those describing do.

No only meme shit like depression is a joke. There are a lot of mental illnesses
>>
>>34621125
>you have control over how you think
Incredibly debatable
>>
>>34620736

>"Mental illness" seems like a gigantic joke.
>Have a brother that goes manic like clockwork every 2 years and starts running around naked, making no sense, and somehow not sleeping for days on end

yeah nah -- it's just not a good excuse for being a garden variety loser that's all.
>>
ok i'll just stop having borderline personality disorder now thanks op
>>
>>34621125
>Except "mental illness" isn't some bacteria, virus, parasite causing you to think differently. If anything it's a damaged expression of the part in question; the handy thing being that you have control over how you think.

wrong
go lurk some wikipedia and come back
>>
>>34621270
>(((wikipedia)))
Found the niggerfaggot lmao
I'll bet you think college isnt a gigantic waste of fucking time too
>>34621261
Only a gas chamber can fix your autism buddy
>>
>>34620736
You're mostly right OP. A big isue is that most "mental illness" is entirely subjective. If someone else believes you match a set of arbitrary chriteria, you have a "mental illness". In fact, psychology in general is still pseudo science.
>>
>>34621320
>the brain is fully intact unless you tinker with it
>>
File: Smooth_Santana.png (53KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Smooth_Santana.png
53KB, 225x225px
>>34620736

Most mental illness is a meme, yes

>Talking to therapist
>She says I have some sort of inferiority complex
>I ask her how it's a complex if I actually am inferior
>She says I need to think good thoughts

Most "mental illness" is just a way to diagnose different personalities or perspectives on the world.
>>
>>34621320
i will put you in a fucking gulag
>>
>>34620736
You are confusing personalty disorders with mental illness, please educate yourself to avoid future shame
>>
>>34621371
>I ask her how it's a complex if I actually am inferior
>She says I need to think good thoughts

are all therapists btfo so easily?
>>
>>34621408

Some will level with you, but many are just ill-equipped to deal with someone who doesn't buy the normal bullshit.

Basically, if you can at least half-way defend the way you feel, the therapist will just look like they're gaslighting you. Really, the greatest meme of the therapy is the idea that everyone can willfully accept the world as it is. Some can't be swayed.
>>
>>34621408
yeah but nothing really comes from shittalking your therapist
>>
>>34621203
Yes, and you could possibly persuade me to think that we don't have control of what we think. I bet that in some way anyone could be convinced of anything, with our current expression of who we "are" being a collection of the "facts" that have been "proven" to us up to this point.

My thoughts are that we learn a large set of facts about how the world works, as well as start out with some "seed" at birth, some basic shell of who you are. I think that mental illness can be "cured" by convincing yourself of facts that make you what you aren't currently.

This leads to the arbitrariness of my own thoughts, why do I hold this position and not another? Basically I've accepted that my sole purpose as a human is to do what increases my own "success" hormones/neurotransmitters.

I suppose I could see that a mental illness could be something that either stops the success signals or sends them at a time that society deems incorrect.

But then you may not really be "you" if you take drugs to fit your mental processes to society. It seems that you would be more of a person if you expressed your own inner workings in your own way in society.

But then this damages my original point, that anyone can be anything.

I suppose what I'm thinking now is that people can have a different base operation, but can then feed that into any expression they want.
>>
>>34620736
>meme disorder is a meme disorder so mental illness doesn't exist
Yeah I bet autism and schizophrenia are just a meme too.
>>
>>34620736
no you retarded pseudointellectual teenager, when you are depressed or manic, you cannot
> literally do whatever I want
> by realizing that I have to exist in my own frame of reference anyway
you are stuck in a total perspective vortex. Even knowing those things before cannot help you at that time.
>People who say they have a "mental illness" are just picking some classification, some character to play through this game of life with.
that sounds like what you've done. You went through a cynical fedora tipping phase that everyone goes through at age 17 and decided by yourself that you were depressed with no mental health professionals in sight
>>
>>34621404
Actually yes I do seem to be moreso focusing on personality disorders. I'm still pretty skeptical on things like schizophrenia and autism but something like mental retardation seems difficult to describe as a choice.

It feels like one of my main issues is that the method of prescribing these mental illnesses is by recognizing personality traits, which can be changed.
>>
>>34621798
hi is pseduointellectual a good thing thx
>>
>>34621320
You're the worst type of people shitting up this site.
>>
>>34621798
That somewhat matches what I am being right now. Also likely some bit of wanting to push my boundaries and express myself as a early 20's university male.

I'm trying to impose my own beliefs upon some people on the internet because it's what I have chosen to do because it's enjoyable.

But I guess then I am still filling a role because I have selected it.

And I suppose people who act in whatever personality-disorder way they do have also reasoned themselves out like that as well.

I guess I've been changed now. Mental illnesses/personality disorders exist, in that people have reasoned out being in that state, to some level.

The classification and use of drugs for "solving" them still seems misguided to me though.
>>
>>34620736
anybody who thinks like this was never mentally ill in the first place

you're lucky to have no idea what it's like for people with real mental health issues

you used to be a little sad and now you're less sad. well done?
>>
>>34622177
>real mental health issues
This is part of my issue, is that it seems difficult to say what really is a mental health issue and what is just someone being like that mental health issue. It seems like a very blurred line. Maybe I fell for the depression meme and not real depression, or maybe you/someone you know is in the depression meme as well and feels like anyone who doesn't agree with them on what it is didn't have "real" depression.
>>
The brain is a physical organ that can get sick just like any other physical organ. It's a disease in the same sense that arthritis is a disease, in that that particular part of your body has a self-inflicted problem that makes it not work well. Mental illness is not a disease in the same sense as flesh-eating bacteria, unless you have syphilis or what have you.
>>
>>34620736
Yeah let me tell an autist that, that'll show em.
>>
Sometimes mentally-ill people get better on their own without specific treatment. It happens all the time. This does not mean that the person was not mentally-ill in the first place, or that mental illness does not exist. The efficacy of a therapy or psychotropic is measured against a placebo. The success rate of the placebo is never zero in these studies.
>>
>>34622411
look

you were a little sad and edgy. a lot of people are a little sad and edgy. they stop being a little sad and edgy. you have emotions and you can control how you feel and how they impact you.

when you realize that living up to your falsely applied label actually requires effort, you weren't mentally ill to begin with. it's not a blurred line at all. there's being a complete idiot and there's not being a complete idiot.

i know depression isn't really considered serious because of people like you calling themselves depressed but there are people who are rotting from the inside out. you don't see them because they don't go anywhere.
some people can barely function and it's tragic. people literally kill themselves.

you are like a shy teenage girl saying she has anxiety because of her driving test. and she could say that anxiety isn't actually real because she has become more confident and has her license now. but anxiety is real and there's a poor soul out there who can't take public transport without having a full-blown panic attack.

maybe you're right and all of these seriously ill people who are trying whatever they can and wishing it wasn't them will just wake up one day and realize that their meme disorders that are ruining their lives are just memes.

reee. idiot.
>>
>>34620736

Your personality is fixed and there's fuckall you can do it about it. Mania is still unclear exactly how it works, but antisocial, borderline, etc, that shit is set in stone from birth. Introvert and extrovert too, but those aren't 'real' psych things, but even psychoanalysis(where the term comes from) is pretty clear on those being immutable as well.

I work in behavioral. If you spent 15 minutes on my floor you'd quickly realize just how retarded the shit you posted is, or I'd at least be able to hook you up with a shiny new diagnosis of a developmental disorder: Buttfucking Retarded NOS. As nasty as antipsychotics are, some people are so damn cuckoo we can't peel them off the ceiling without nearly killing them in the process. Read up on Clozaril for fun if you're interested.
>>
>>34622965
Antipsychotics should be illegal. Literally brain-rotting.
>>
>>34620736
try having avoidant personality disorder
ive had this shit since i was 8 years old call it mental illness or not but is FUCKING incompatible with modern society
>>
>>34620736
it's not
i have a psychoanalyst helping me and she gets pay with or without me there
>>
File: 1445951755556.jpg (24KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1445951755556.jpg
24KB, 480x480px
>>34622987

It's an interesting idea, but if we banned them then the only thing left is essentially making it illegal to be crazy. We have enough mentally ill people in prison that are just going to be thrown right back out on the streets to hurt someone again. It not as easy as they make it out to be to get a court order. Even then they still have some autonomy and can refuse medications. Until they are actively harming other patients and staff on a daily basis it's way too hard to drug someone against their will. You don't give a drug unless it's at least marginally better than the disease. Until something better comes along it's about all we have at the moment. Unfortunately we can't just give them OP's advice and tell them >just bee urself lol
>>
>>34622965

This guy right here.

I knew a nurse who worked in an inpatient (ie: locked the fuck up) psychiatric unit. The shit she told me those people thought and did...
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.