[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is college is a meme?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: IhQn4Yk[1].png (413KB, 629x313px) Image search: [Google]
IhQn4Yk[1].png
413KB, 629x313px
WTF guys? Is college a fucking meme? How are there so many people with degrees yet they are working shit jobs? Is this what's gonna happen to me?
>inb4 stem meme
There are a couple engineers here too and they all work in a shitty club or as a bike boy. How do I avoid this shitty situation? Was I being memed by the fucking government this whole time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg
>>
Trades nigger.
>>
They are all dumbfuck normies
>>
>>34603969
the stem meme is actually a meme. there are more degrees than there are jobs, especially in certain sciences like physics. engineering fairs a little better but not much.

do not do stem unless you're actually interested in it or have connections or plan on making connections through your university staff and friends. and if you're not doing stem there's really no reason to be in uni in the first place
>>
>>34603969
Every single major just sounds so uninteresting to me.
>>
>>34604253

if ur smart it doesn't really matter what you go into
>>
>>34604254
same. Wish I could just be NEET for the rest of my life.
>>
>>34604271
sensationalist hogwash. life is not a hollywood movie, there are a shit ton of factors that go into making a strong scientist/engineer/mathematician. smart isn't the trump card here, if anything i'd say it would be passion but you can be as passionate as you want and still not be able to stomach the level of studying needed to be in a stem field. no. you really have to have your shit together and know you want to be there. it's not enough to just be smart, or passionate, or hard working. you have to be all 3 if you seriously want a shot. (and just as a note we're talking stem here specifically. your statement could be true in more subjective/liberal arts type majors)
>>
>>34604367

if u go to a state college it requires a minimal amount of effort if you are smart

i agree with u if ur going to like stanford or something
>>
>>34604388
I go to state college and it's actually kinda hard. But that could be cause I'm a dumb fuck
>>
>>34604254
music major?
>>
>>34604459

ya i dont mean to sound arrogant or anything, but i find that most people just don't know how to study or manage their time.

i think most people could have a much easier time in college if they thought more about how they learn, rather just focusing on learning

for example... what kind of learner are you? visual? audio? when you make flash cards for an exam you will save a lot more time if your notes & your flash cards are the same. most people will take notes, then make flash cards. when you would normally take notes, make your flash cards
>>
>>34604504
Should have been more specific. I definitely like music and other subjects but the thought of actually studying them and having classes and deadlines and then potentially a career in any of them just seems so uninteresting. I get bored of things quickly and have to keep jumping around. I'll end up working a low level retail job for the rest of my life just to barely get by because of this.
>>
>>34604530
maybe you just lack inspiration/ vision. Also having good teachers help, my first harmony class really made me say "this is my destiny"
>>
>>34604388
i go to mit, i suppose i do have a different lens on things. i feel like in today's market it's the mentality you have to have though. i don't want to be stuck shitting 9-5 for some faceless company, i wanna work with cern or do something worthwhile ya know
>>
doing college right > no college > doing college wrong

why can't uneducatedfags understand this?

1. choose worthwhile major
2. dont go to private school unless full ride
3. get scholarships
4. do internships
5. graduate with no debt
6. get good job
7. ????
8. profit

im about to graduate with PHD in ECE and no debt with several great job prospects
>>
College is a joke in 2017. Every class is pretty much leftists bashing Trump.
>>
Everything in life is about connections. College is the easiest path to get decent access to the people you need to know. If you go turboautist and focus on grades alone, it's entirely possible to graduate college with good marks yet end up jobless.
>>
How do people end up making decent money without a degree? Is starting your own business the only way? Getting lucky? Connections? I've fucked up college and I'm worried I'm just fucked for the rest of my life.
>>
Kind of, a degree alone isn't going to do much for you if you don't know anyone or somehow already have a job history in your field, you need to network which robots are incapable of.

/r9k/ is more likely to install cybernetic upgrades and become an actual network than to forge the sort of connections needed to really succeed.
>>
>>34603969
It varies. STEM is certainly a meme at this point since everyone wants to go there for it practically being a dick measuring contest at this point. Engineering still has some opportunities but if you aren't at your A game and then some or have connections then you are burning money. I'd recommend trade school if you feel college is ass, also you'll have a higher chance to succeed due to much smaller class sizes and more hands on learning, plus the huge amount of available jobs and a lack of student debt is quite nice as well. Good money can be made there too.

>>34605291
Trade school mang.
>>
>>34605351
Trade school is where all the failed engineers go.

sux 2 be a scrub
>>
Having a university degree raises your social status.

That's the only reason I went.
>>
>>34605370
K. Have fun with the job search and shit ton of debt.
>>
>>34605391
No debt up in here, babycakes :3

Already offers and I haven't even graduated lmao. Engineering extracurriculars are an employer magnet.

sux 2 suck :/
>>
>>34605420
I too have a billion dollars as well as my own planet.
>>
>>34604091
its a meme too the trade meme
>>
Everything is fucking useless at this point

Ive learned a useful Trade via Apprenticeship, got a STEM and Art Degree, speak and am certified in 5 Languages, run a small Business on the side and i am still "struggling" because you cant compete with Globalization and Affirmative Action.

Working and honesty are for suckers. Go out and spend all day at the local Gym and become a trained boy toy for women and you will have more from Life
>>
>>34605454
What trade was it and where are you at? Sometimes you have to move to get those opportunities.

Also why the fuck would you get an art degree?
>>
>>34604367
atm i'm a freshman, failing CS hard in my first semester on like a top uni regarding this subject

i 100% agree with everything said above
>>
>>34605597
top uni in our country i meant.
>>
>>34605554
>What trade was it and where are you at?

I am in Europe and the official translation for it would be "Foreign Language Correspondence Clerk". Basically an Office Trade with a lot phone calls that goes overseas

>Also why the fuck would you get an art degree?

Because its what interested me. I also had one in Software Engineering (comparable to an Associates) and when i finished it i knew i never would want to do that shit for a living
>>
>>34605621
>I am in Europe
Oh, that's why then. Pretty easy to get a job in trades in the states.
>>
>>34605454
what 5 languages do you speak
>>
>>34605766
native level for english, german and spanish
elementary level for moonspeak and mandarin
>>
>>34606168
nice im learning mandarin too
>>
>>34606197
this year i wanna visit some of those gook countries and see if becoming an expat is a viable option

japan ive already been too and liked very much now next up on the list are places like hong kong, taiwan and some of the south ones like vietnam
>>
>>34603969
>Is this what's gonna happen to me?

there's a decent chance yeah. job market is shit here.

your only real hope is to go to college not for something general like "engineering" but go when you have a career path in mind.

what i recommend is actually to graduate high school and then spend a few years working shitty no-experience entry jobs like this. it will clarify your vision for your future the way nothing else ever could.
>>
File: wargames.png (88KB, 507x134px) Image search: [Google]
wargames.png
88KB, 507x134px
>>34603969
College was originally higher learning for the wealthy and well off, the idea that you had to go for reasons of getting most types of work would be seen as strange or obscene, you were to go to practices and trade schools and work up, in many cases College was more a mid point for many on the work ladder to get the additional knowledge and skills needed for later. When America was hitting it's golden age, the floodgates were burst and everyone was going to college which the universities and loan companies loved to a great deal. This lead to many said companies to campaign high schools and the like to encourage kids to go convincing them: 1. that it would ensure them better work (it doesn't, it never has) 2. that it would expand their understanding of life experiences (again, short of art degrees this is most bs) and a thriving social network(half truth, opportunities are there but no more than socializing irl anyway), with this campaign and pushing kids to go right as they hit 18 this lead to a crash and burn setting we are in today where many people have trash degrees or get paid sub par compared to workers in power plants, trash services, etc. I argue most of this flaw is 18-24 year old person has no clue what they want to do and with such awful advice as "do what you love" most get trap with worthless art and literature majors because they pick what they loved rather than what they could make money with and not hate themselves over it.

So tldr: Yes it's a Meme of the boomer generation that by majority couldn't go to college or were the first poor to go to college so they pressured their kids to go, and their kids pressured their kids and so on and so on.
>>
>>34605164
THIS THIS THIS THIS

You NEED to intern or at least get an inkling of experience before you graduate. If you expect to compete with the 10000000 other graduates who majored in "Business" or "Information Technology" who don't know jack shit about the field/industry, then yes, you will have to become the scum of society and work shit jobs and write for Slate about how "there are no jobs" and do things like
bike messengering/ dishwashing/teaching english

Get some XP, make yourself competitive, and suck it the fuck up
>>
>>34605271
srs

college is good for connections/advice
>>
>>34605612
what uni? stanford? MIT?
>>
>>34606327
Pretty spot on. Too many people going into colleges and not enough jobs to support them.

Also things like gender studies exist.
>>
>>34604388
You can go to Stanford, put in minimal effort and still graduate with a 3.something GPA if you're smart

Work is for brainlets and tryhards
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.