[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the verdict on SSRIs?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: prozac.jpg (27KB, 980x425px) Image search: [Google]
prozac.jpg
27KB, 980x425px
what's the verdict on SSRIs?
>>
>>34601776

You really should avoid them. I ended up not feeling anything while on them and became an even larger recluse.
>>
>>34601776
If you can get an MAORI instead, or whatever they're called, you should take that route. SSRIs have side effects and negative interactions and are a bit archaic at this point
>>
Killed my boner
Made me black out after a single beer
Turned my digestive tract to shit and made me gain a christload of weight
0/10
>>
after being on zoloft for 5 years, I'm finally getting off it. I'm pretty sure it plateaued in effectiveness within the first year but I kept taking it. I preferred the occasional ativan but i'm scared of benzos long term
>>
>>34601776
They help with the mood, but whatever that made you take them in the first place will be there to make you feel like shit again.
>>
I take Cymbalta for nerve damage and (previous) depression issues due to said nerve damage crippling me. I am currently functioning okay and the nerve damage isn't disabling me. I am no longer depressed; am in fact in the best long-term relationship of my life.

While they were very important and beneficial to me in the past when my physical+MENTAL health were far from healthy, I am now in the process of dosing off of them.

Mainly because of
>Don't need them psychologically. I am the happiest I have been in ~8 years since my health issues started.
>I am dealing with the nerve damage a lot better. It's been ~2 years since I started taking cymbalta.
>I am now on Lyrica which is much better at fighting off the nerve damage.
>The sexual side affects of Cymbalta. I literally felt next to nothing during sex(and keeping a boner when you feel nothing... Good luck) on my previous dose of 120mg/day.

They are extremely effective band-aids. However I would suggest taking them as well as seeking therapy. If you have any questions I am here Anon. I've been through a lot physically and mentally since 2009 and might have useful feedback. Hope I was able to help in some way.
>>
Serotonin syndrome
>>
>>34601776
SSRIs are a garbage meme perpetuated by the pharmaceutical Jews.
Nearly anything else would be better, including a strong rope.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 205x246px
>>34601838
>get an MAORI
Haven't my people suffered enough
>>
don't fall for it. pure poison at worst, placebo at best. meme drug that is only prescribed because it makes money.

please ask your doctor to prescribe you literally any other type of antidepressant if you want to get better.
>>
im on effexor, a really high dose, honestly i like it a lot. it numbs me to the pain of life, and makes me walk around smiling for no reason
>>
>>34602007
yea i didn't really understand why he recommended me an indigenous person for depression
they don't actually help with depression, do they?
>>
Any specific drug to switch over to? I just switched from zoloft to prozac after a year. I want something substantial
>>
>>34602749
you'll have to try different ones until you find something that works for you. just stay away from ssri's. if they still try to put you on those, don't take them and just tell them that the drugs made you vomit. eventually you'll get something better.

personally, i take lamotrigine, which helps a bit. stimulants do wonders for me, though. try and convince your doctor to prescribe you methylphenidate or lisdexamfetamine if you want something 'substantial' with immediate effects.
>>
>>34602887
Is there any difference between, say Ritalin and Vyvanse? I have a Concerta script that I never take. should I start back on that?
>>
>>34601776
According to a female crossfitter who lacks a university education on my Facebook feed, exercise is the most potent and underutilized anti-depressant. Using this mental health theorem, I'm going to say SSRIs are bullshit and all doctors are slaves to big pharma.
>>
>>34602960
>Ritalin and Vyvanse
they affect the brain in different ways, but they're both stimulants. i've only ever taking MPH, so i don't know if there's a big difference. but i did some research on LDX and it seemed to be more potent than MPH from what i've read.

>I have a Concerta script that I never take. should I start back on that?
why was it prescribed to you?

i'd definitely try it in combination with some antidepressant. depression isn't just 'feeling bad' or 'having negative thoughts', the lack of motivation and the tiredness are a big part of it as well and stimulants help with that.
>>
>>34603002
>exercise is the most potent and underutilized anti-depressant
i think this is at least partly true, the problem is just that when you're really depressed, the last thing you're going to do is leave the house to do some exercise. normalfags can't relate to this feeling.
>>
Don't let psychiatrists prescribe them for depression if you have psychotic symptoms. If they prescribe then anyways, watch out for symptoms of mania. You may feel on top of the world, but it's not the healthy sort of confidence. It's more the "going on a whirlwind of self destruction because I'm obviously now immortal" type of confidence.
>>
>>34603023
I forget why, I got it prescribed years ago and just keep getting it filled and selling it. Will you be my new doctor?
>>
>>34601776
Stimulants are way better than SSRIs, even for depression
>>
File: notail tea.jpg (61KB, 483x495px) Image search: [Google]
notail tea.jpg
61KB, 483x495px
>>34603110
>Will you be my new doctor?
only if you pay me.
>>
>>34603071
Of course it is partly true, big pharma wants us to believe otherwise. Big Pharma would posit something absurd like "Not exercising is a symptom of depression, not the cause. Saying exercise is an antidepressant is like saying cough syrup is an antiviral. Simply relieving a symptom is not a cure and attributing a cure to something that simple can cause a dangerous distrust of medical professionals by sufferers". That shit is PURE Big Pharma nonsense, avoid all SSRIs and just lift weights.
>>
Taking Escitalopram (10mg) now after nothing else seemed to help "fix" my depression and also IBS symptoms.

It seems to be working so far. No trouble keeping a boner - just find it harder to ejaculate. Might even be a good thing in the long run if I ever get a gf (hah).
>>
>>34603237
normie-tier advice tbdesu
>>
>>34603294
>Can't Refute My Argument
>Calls me normie out of frustration caused by cognitive dissonance
I'd recommend "Big Pharma: Exposing the Global Healthcare Agenda" by Jacky Law. I think of his work as CrossFit for the brain. Not to say CrossFit itself isn't good for the brain, as I demonstrated in my previous post.
>>
>>34603406
>posts meme-tier "just lift brah" "medical science is lying to you brah"
>>>Can't Refute My Argument
>>
>>34603237
There's the idea exercise releases feel good chemicals, but that's not always certain. One person might find working at the gym helps them while others might work out in a gym to feel no improvement. An avid hiker or jogger might claim exercise makes them feel good, but the reality is the exposure to nature in a park or forest is what alleviates depression. The man who hates a gym may find solace in working out outside. One man may say exercise helped him when he took up swimming, but it might actually be the comfort from being submerged in water or watching the water's surface. Another person might consider yoga exercise even though it is actually the contrast to their hectic schedule causing the increase of happiness.
>>
>>34603422
Nothing like people who don't understand science but claim science supports them.
>>
>>34603274

It'll ruin your dick eventually. It did mine after about a year and a half and now my dick is crooked because I slept on it during a wet dream.
>>
>>34603438
It might not release those chemicals because they are lifting small at the start or not doing the right lifts.
>>
>>34601776
they numb your inhibitions and make you shoot up public places

AVOID
>>
only thing that fixes my depression is running

im serious

I've tried everything

now im sober as a judge, and if I'm feeling down, I just put on my running shoes and go

it sucks, but it works every time
>>
>>34603475
How is sleeping on your dick during a wet dream anything to do with the SSRI's kek
>>
>>34603099
this is what cucks bipolar people too cause you can't take regular sad people drugs
>>
>>34603618
Running is a good start, but low intensity cardio training is a half measure. Only after you enter a full cross fit program will you fully recover from your illness, the activity intensity really does make a difference. Your Central Nervous System isn't fully engaged without solid lifting, running ignores half your body, leaving you half depressed.
>>
>>34603722

interesting.

yeah honestly I would love to be that guy that likes to lift, but I hate it. it's just so god damned boring, and I hate being at the gym because I feel out of place and I fucking hate dude bros who just stare at themselves in the mirror the whole time and stacies just trying to show their ass off everywhere in their white yoga pants.

I usually alternate between running and hiit on a stationary bike
>>
File: 1485822797000.gif (215KB, 400x524px) Image search: [Google]
1485822797000.gif
215KB, 400x524px
>>34603469
I can't tell which poster this was directed at and if it was ironic or serious
>>
Its hard to read, but CBT is better in long term. There was another graph in the book on depression that placebos are nearly just as effective as antidepressants. I've been on a ton of antidepressants, but finally weaned off because therapy + CBT + DBT + meditation + running all that other stuff, self discipline and the lift
>>
>>34601776
an attempt to chemically castrate the "undesirables" of society. impotence isn't even a warned side-effect on the box, but is the primary effect of taking an SSRI.

work out and see a therapist instead.
>>
>>34603237
>>34603406
This guy is right, but how are you supposed to keep yourself motivated to work out when you can't find the motivation to wake up or want to exist anymore?
>>
>>34603930

you just have to swallow the misery and accept it, get comfortable being uncomfortable

only then will it get better
>>
>>34603930
This. All this said in the thread - I think if you're at the point of wanting to off yourself and can't even get out of bed in the morning - and SSRI is the best option to "pick yourself up" and AT THE SAME TIME work at your life. Once you feel that things are going smoothly, talk to your doc about weening off. Stopping suddenly can lead to side effects too.
>>
Paxil here.

Going from 20 to 30 tomorrow. 20 wasn't doing shit for me recently. Wish me luck, niggers.
>>
>>34601807

For me they made me numb at a time in my life when I really needed that numbness. Confronting reality every morning felt like waking up on hell, and a lititle numbness and dissociation was very welcome.I had never felt that acutely awful in my life before or since.

Years later I was back on them at a time when I was just feeling fatigued and unmotivated, and the same med Prozac gave me the same thing but it made the motivation worse and did nothing for my general dysthymic affect. Really the effects are so slow and subtle you don't notice them at first but for me it was only worth it that one time when the emotional toll of getting through a 12 hour day felt almost unbearable every single day.
>>
They work, but only because you'll go from feeling depressed to feeling literally nothing at all. You'll be a totally emotionless, driveless zombie within a week. You won't be sad anymore, but you also won't be able to bring yourself to feel anything else. It's a special kind of numbness and apathy that is almost worse than the depression.
>>
>>34603274
i'm on that, it's helping for anxiety but not depression
>>
>>34603636

Because my dick wasn't getting fully erect and therefore was susceptible to getting caught in odd positions.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.