[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ask my parents why getting a college degree matters >They're

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

File: 1471994836990.jpg (65KB, 485x373px) Image search: [Google]
1471994836990.jpg
65KB, 485x373px
>ask my parents why getting a college degree matters
>They're response is "because your status will go up"

>Ask parents if they realize none of this shit matters
>they get mad at me

Wew lad
>>
File: 1285529630084.jpg (480KB, 1447x1447px) Image search: [Google]
1285529630084.jpg
480KB, 1447x1447px
>>34582173

Most would probably say it may be handy for landing a decently paying job.
Never did college because I was to take over dads biz but always thought people picked something to study that they were interested in so that they could find a job in that field eventually.

Anno a shit btw
>>
>>34582173
>none of this shit matters
why doesn't it matter? what does matter?
>>
>>34582296
nothing lol

original
>>
>>34582325
i wonder why your parents don't agree with that.

are you planning to kill yourself since nothing matters?
>>
>>34582523
No, suicide is retarded, just because nothing matters doesn't mean that I don't enjoy living.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (664KB, 1443x1280px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
664KB, 1443x1280px
>>34582173
>They're
>none of this shit matters
Ban this underage faggot going through his first nihilism phase.
>>
>>34582732
kek I literally just noticed that

I just got off of a 12 hour shift cut me some slack you faggot
>>
>>34582620
okay, so do you have an idea of how you're going to support yourself without going to college?
>>
File: 1433481290704.jpg (59KB, 522x583px) Image search: [Google]
1433481290704.jpg
59KB, 522x583px
>>34582173
What are you planning to do with your life? Or at least your short-term plan for the next 5 years?
>>
>>34582797
By not having student loans to pay off when I drop out anyway?
>>
File: trump 4.jpg (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
trump 4.jpg
58KB, 600x600px
>>34582173

Your parents sound like normie scum who are embittered by their pathetic existence and trapped in a prison of their own mind.

There is literally nothing wrong about someone who is completely content with a simple life - food, water, shelter and small recreation. Just some average Joe who perhaps does a trade and has a small tight knit group of friends and that's enough.

Not everyone is a materialistic, consumerist vapid trash bag who cares about status and climbing the eternal Jewish ladder. Not everyone needs a nice car and big house. Some people just need a small apartment and a gaming computer. And again, there's literally nothing wrong about that.

People will tell you you're a degenerate or low life or something for being content with being the working class - in reality they're projecting their own misery and confused as to why they can't be happy in their own lives when they see someone "worse off" than them can be happy. It makes them furious and lash out, someone "lesser" than them somehow has more in life than them. Complete and utter disdain for the working class and average Joe. History's just repeating itself.
>>
>>34582831
Wow breaking news guys
If you don't have student loans that means you can support yourself E Z P Z

OP come back when you're not 19
>>
File: 1401896847431.jpg (238KB, 778x842px) Image search: [Google]
1401896847431.jpg
238KB, 778x842px
only low status people think it doesn't matter. When you lose your source of revenue and have a future of poverty and harassment ahead of you you'll regret it fuckwit

>muh neet life

lmao the path to an early suicide
>>
>>34582831
What are you planning on doing instead then?

If you're just going to be NEET then just ignore them, but otherwise there are other things you can do. Get an apprenticeship or learn a trade or something?
>>
File: big grin 3.jpg (189KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
big grin 3.jpg
189KB, 1462x1462px
>>34582797

>You need to go to college to live

Hahahahah. Are you a fucking retard? What is the working class? What is the average Joe? What's a trade? What's the emergency services? What's an alternate profession?

How narrow minded are you, pleb. You're the one that needs to kill themselves. There's an entire demographic of humans who exist that never went to college and live completely content lives. Or don't they exist to you in your inner city liberal safe-space bubble? Working class doesn't exist huh
>>
>>34582831
>By not having student loans to pay off when I drop out anyway?
not having debt is not the same as supporting yourself. sounds like you have no plan at all.

>>34582891
>If you're just going to be NEET then just ignore them,
NEETs don't survive unless mommy and daddy support them or the government supports them. parents die, government support is often barely enough to live on and it's not like you can live with no income at all.
>>
>>34582910
>You need to go to college to live
i didn't say that at all.

i asked him what his plan was if he wasn't going to college because i do know that there are other ways to get by. i was asking him which path he's planning to pursue because if he can explain to his parents that college isn't necessary because he's doing something else, then maybe they won't be mad at him.

it sounds like he hasn't given it much thought and i'm trying to encourage him to do that before he wastes his time doing nothing and pisses off his parents.
>>
>>34582823
>work some shit job to pay off basic survival needs
>save up a good sum of cash
>travel places, depending on a few factors possibly working odd jobs to fund more travel opportunities while traveling
>Either rinse repeat or get a better job a nice pc and settle down for the rest of my existence

Ive never been good at, nor have I ever had any interest in mathematics or an stem related field. Any degree outside of that field seems nearly (not entirely) worthless to me. Id rather not have massive amounts of debt looming over me for the rest of my life.

Im pretty repulsive physically, and im starting to realize that the concept of a normal life with a picket fence and a cute wife with 2 wonderful children is not going to happen to me. Even though I have friends now, I realize that later on in life I will mostly be alone, I have basically lost faith in finding someone I might be able to spend my time with. I just want to enjoy my life to its fullest potential, and as of right now I want to see more than the city that I currently live in.

I want to go to school, I enjoy learning and I try to teach myself new things daily, but the idea of spending massive amounts of money on some bullshit lib arts degree is kind of haunting to me.

Maybe I should go to trade school
>>
>>34582910
>your post
>pleb

oh the ironing
>>
File: 1323056301202.jpg (18KB, 282x415px) Image search: [Google]
1323056301202.jpg
18KB, 282x415px
>>34583013
>travel places, depending on a few factors possibly working odd jobs to fund more travel opportunities while traveling
I know its possible to travel on the cheap, but you are severly overestimating your ability to take time off and just explore the world when your career goal is "work som shit job to pay off basic survival needs." If you are just barely scraping by paycheck-to-paycheck, you aren't going to be travelling anywhere.
>Either rinse repeat or get a better job a nice pc
HOW? This is why your parents are upset with you, you've got to explain this plan in more concrete terms.
You've basically just said, "I'm going to be a nomad with endless disposable income and eventually settle down with a nice job." HOW will you do that?
>>
>>34583013

>Maybe I should go to trade school

-is the only part of your post that wasn't autistic
>>
>>34583077
>tfw so autistic you wouldnt even know how to get anything better than a mcjob
>>
>>34582797
>idea of how you're going to support yourself without going to college?
How is being in debt for an non guaranteed job "supporting yourself"
Why is the cost of living so expensive?
Why is OP forced into existence and then expected to have responsibilities he did not choose or consent to'?
>>
>>34582173
You're right in saying it doesn't matter, but only to rational people.
It's a normies world out there, and you play by their rules to succeed in a conventional sense, unless you're a genius/entrepreneur/multimillionaire
>>
>>34583175
>How is being in debt for an non guaranteed job "supporting yourself"

No job is guaranteed, threads like this prove that, but having some sort of qualification definitely does help you to get jobs. But obviously if you're a hopeless autist regardless then suffering through college probably won't help you.

>Why is the cost of living so expensive?

For a wide range of economic reasons I'm sure you can look up and read all about if you want to know

>Why is OP forced into existence and then expected to have responsibilities he did not choose or consent to'?

Because he's a person, and that's what happens. He was forced into an existence more comfortable and secure than 99% of humanities history, but if it's that awful he can always kill himself.
>>
>>34583077
investing in penny stocks and selling weed for the rest of my life.

Fuck dude I dont know, honestly at this point in my life im so god damn lost that every ounce of me just wants to say fuck it and throw myself into the bullshit, basically just wing it and hope everything works out alright. I know that sounds absolutely insane and completely fucking retarded, believe me I know, but I cant stand the idea of working some office job for the rest of my fucking life. There has to be more to this existence than being tied down to a cubicle.

I went to school for a few years for graphic design. Im actually decent at it, but I feel like its going to get me nowhere. I dropped out because of the fear of being in debt, and still having the same absolute shit job I have right now when I get out of school, literally nothing will have changed for me except for the fact that I would then have a negative amount of money.
>>
>>34583374
>>34583374
> but I cant stand the idea of working some office job for the rest of my fucking life. There has to be more to this existence than being tied down to a cubicle.

THERE IS

TRADE SCHOOLS

APPRENTICESHIPS

ANY OTHER NON OFFICE JOB

Have you really seen so many wageslave threads that you think that every job is like that?
>>
>>34583432
both my parents are wageslaves and I've only ever met one non wageslave in my entire life.

My entire life has been leading up to the moment I become a wageslave
>>
>>34583432
Trade school just means that your office is where other people poop.
>>
>>34583542
In the UK people who got trade qualifications straight out of secondary school are 4 times more likely to be in a job 1 year after they graduate than people who went to university.

Meme degrees and artificial office jobs come and go, but people will always need electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc. Hell you could even go into agriculture.
>>
File: 1381454256002.png (186KB, 250x398px) Image search: [Google]
1381454256002.png
186KB, 250x398px
>>34583374
>Fuck dude I dont know
First sensible thing you've said tbqh.

>I cant stand the idea of working some office job for the rest of my fucking life. There has to be more to this existence than being tied down to a cubicle.
I can't even stress enough what a false dichetomy you are viewing the world as right now. I'm not even particularly invested what you decide to do and I have no interest trying to convince you one way or the other. But you're throwing your lot in with a McJob one second and penny stocks the next. The fact of the matter is that being stuck in minimum-wage existence and living paycheck-to-paycheck is extremely restricting (obviously, this isn't a choice everyone has to luxury to make, but I digress).

>I went to school for a few years for graphic design. Im actually decent at it, but I feel like its going to get me nowhere.
I'm going to assume you are under 25 and let me tell you something: EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE feels exactly like you do when they graduate, unless they have been exceptionally lucky. Talk to literally any college student nearing graduation and most feel like they just spent 4 years for something that isn't even close to fruition yet. Nobody in this generation sticks with one, two, three, or even five jobs throughout their career, but rather make diagonal moves up different ladders. It sounds like you've abandoned a promising enterprise in favor of desperation gambles as a long-term form of support. Do you really think that's going to be less soul crushing than working a few jobs you aren't crazy about?
>>
>>34582797
uhm no u dont? just go to ur doctor and tell him u got autism. instant neetbux
jesus christ, u normies r so dumb lol
>>
>>34585093
why? why post it?
>>
>>34583374
Theres nothing more to existence than wageslaving, you're suppose to work till your a old guy and can "enjoy" your pension. Only then can u start traveling. But for now, the next 40 years you are going to have to work and be stuck at that job, period.
>>
File: 1474956133795.jpg (39KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
1474956133795.jpg
39KB, 472x472px
>>34582173
Honestly don't mean to seem like a dumb hippy and I'm not rebelling against my parents or anything because I know it's good advice, but everything just seems to be about building a resume for applying for jobs. Every suggestion for what I should do always centers around that and it's just kind of a depressing existence if you really think about it desu
I am just going to college to please my parents for the most part. I just worked at a warehouse for 2yrs after high school and had more money than I knew what to do with just at $14/hr. After a certain point my income doesn't matter much at all to me

Not a big difference between a $50k/yr job and a $100k/yr job for me
>>
File: 1483996022042.jpg (34KB, 752x701px) Image search: [Google]
1483996022042.jpg
34KB, 752x701px
>>34582173
>They're response
>>
>>34583432

You don't even have to go to school. I'm a high school drop out and got a job at a company that applies industrial paint and sandblasts pipes, valves, etc for surrounding oil refineries at 18. I started at $13/hr just painting, it was pretty comfy aside from the occasional times you'd have to climb scaffolds and shit and be 50ft in the air painting. Kind of spooky at first but you get used to it. Eventually I made it up to $16 and tons of overtime. Feels neat to sandblast pipes and shit with a big ass hose. Its like playing a vidya. Eventually I became a foreman and started making $25/hr. I just sat in my company truck all day shitposting on my phone and filled out the occasional paperwork. Comfy af. Then the company was bought by a big construction company that worked in the area. Suddenly bumped up to $35/hr and had to do a little more paper work. I had the choice of working overtime and I took most of it, sometimes we had times where we could work 12 hours a day 7 days a week for a month or two. Insane. Then there's the offsite jobs that also give perdiem, extra ez money. Then I got schizophrenic, lost job and now am on neetbux getting $1500/mo to shitpost. Still comfy.
>>
>>34582173
it's certainly better than being a NEET man.

i'm also in the same situation because i'm in second year not knowing a clue what to actually major in

getting older and older by the day and it's getting even harder to find friends

straight up mental illness and social anxiety inducing, man.

even the psychologists and counsellors would basically tell you you're a loser then tell you not to kill yourself
>>
>>34582173
>they're
that's why it matters
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.