[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is a skill such as being able to play an instrument well

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 1483229680908.png (84KB, 250x419px) Image search: [Google]
1483229680908.png
84KB, 250x419px
Why is a skill such as being able to play an instrument well not a waste of time while being skilled at a video game is a waste of time (and there's vidya with very high skill ceilings)?

I am trying to understand if there is actual logic behind this perspective on video games, or if it is just emotionally based reactionary thinking.

In both situations, both people are not partaking in merely passive behavior. Video games usually are played as light entertainment, but my point still stands.

I am just referring to practicing and being good with an instrument, not necessarily being a musician. And I'm not strictly referring to music, but normie hobbies in general.

Essentially, I want to develop better understanding behind normie mentality.

I barely play video games btw.
>>
video games are for dweebs faggot
>>
>>34579693
this

everyone likes some sort of music. video games aren't as socially acceptable.
>>
Both are a waste of time if you aren't making money
>>
>>34579786
This is bullshit everyone has a smart phone and candy crush is a video game
>>
Because unless you're part of the very small percentage who are good enough to compete professionally there's no real tangible benefit other than recreation. (apart from arguably improved reactions/hand eye coordination) whereas music is an art form, and being able to play for one allows you to create music, something that is both socially and emotionally beneficial, but doing so (especially from a young age) has many proven developmental and intellectual benefits (at least, much better documented ones than playing vidya does)
>>
>>34579881
Candy crush is a video game the same way that a kazoo is an instrument
>>
File: fish smoking but it's a bird.jpg (23KB, 378x382px) Image search: [Google]
fish smoking but it's a bird.jpg
23KB, 378x382px
>>34579682
With music, you can actually CREATE something. Play what you feel like, it can be anything. With games it's just a matter of making the right inputs at the right time, there are rules you have to follow. You might need certain skills to play different instruments but you can always vary how they are played. With games the goal is almost always to defeat the opponents or get the high score.

So no, girls won't like you because you can FADC into Ultra. Playing guitar will get you laid, guaranteed.
>>
>>34579919
I'd say vidya increases vocabulary. At least playing adult vidya, because they're written by writters with adult level vocab and the demographic is adults, and writters usually have larger lexicon than the average person.
>>
File: 1485874834778.png (12KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485874834778.png
12KB, 640x640px
>>34579999
That sounds fucking stupid, but digits don't lie.
>>
>>34579999
If your vocabulary is genuinely being largely expanded by most (even "adult") vidya, you probably need to read more.
>>
>>34579991
You can make games, even if sometimes it requires an irrelated skill
>>
>>34580028
Making games =/= playing games, that's like comparing a musician to the craftsman who makes the instrument.
>>
File: 1455100918153.jpg (767KB, 1584x1584px) Image search: [Google]
1455100918153.jpg
767KB, 1584x1584px
>>34579682
Music is a social skill. You can play at parties and gatherings. People like hearing music and it makes them feel good if you're good at playing it.

Watching someone playing vidya is only entertaining for an autist
>>
File: IMG_20170128_214335.jpg (451KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170128_214335.jpg
451KB, 2048x1536px
>>34580027
I wasn't saying it was. Just back when I was in high school, I knew what somewords were in English class before others because I had just played video games that contained it, because they were written by adults for adults. I'm not boasting about it. Just stating what I had experienced early hs.

And reading is a meme for learning vocab. Srs is the way to go
>>34580049
I disagree. Someone who makes the equipment or systems would be an equivalent to a instrument maker.
A game maker is to a game player as a composer is to a musician that plays existing music/music written for them, in my opinion.
>>
>>34580200
Or software
>>
>>34579786
>everyone likes some sort of music
I don't really.
>>
>>34579682
Being skilled with an instrument gives you the potential to create something that others may enjoy. Being good at vidya doesn't unless maybe you aim to be a streamer, and that's more down to personality and/or being an attractive woman.
>>
>>34579682
Video games understood as a time waster while practicing an instrument demonstrates an aptitude for discipline. Some kid spent a lot of time into a skill that he might not even care about to show that he can do so.... and the minor ability he gained from said hobby is a bonus.

That's how normies think. You don't practice a hobby for objective value, you do it to demonstrate unique talent, a productive passion, and dedication. It's a subjective talent.

e.g A regular looking girl doesn't need and will never need to be proficient in archery, but if a regular looking girl was handy with a bow and arrow, spergs would like her that much more.

Finally, a hobby demonstrates what body of society you wish to be a part of.
>>
>>34580216
But your body will still almost certainly respond to some form of rhythm and melody. Even if there's no music you "like", well orchestrated/designed music will still likely elicit an emotional response from you.
>>
Why isn't Counter Strike, an e-sport, on the same level as 'real sports' like basketball and hockey? Teams have coaches and organizations behind them, and they are legally recognized as professional athletes by the government. Viewership of esports is comparable or even greater than 'real sports.' Pro players practice full time every day for both physical hand-eye coordination skills (precise aiming and keyboard control) as well as team work and strategy that easily rivals any soccer player, or quarterback.

So why isn't the esports nerd a popular Chad?
>>
>>34580386
because esports is only watched by the most annoying of the fandom

watching people play league when i could be getting ip instead
>>
>>34580386
>Why isn't Counter Strike, an e-sport, on the same level as 'real sports' like basketball and hockey?

Because it is an e-sport and they are real sports? They're fundamentally different things

What do you even mean by "on the same level"?

>Viewership of esports is comparable or even greater than 'real sports.'

Is that not already "on the same level" by almost any metric?
>>
>>34580386
Because play actual sports makes you buff and attractive,

Instead of a chinless gook who hasn't gone outside in weeks
>>
>>34580386

>So why isn't the esports nerd a popular Chad?

The same reason a soccer nerd isn't a popular Chad in America, and a handegg nerd isn't a popular Chad in Europe. The Chad rating only applies to that faction.
>>
>>34579682
There are vidya with very high skill ceilings but that's not what so called "normie" people are exposed to. Normies are exposed to sports games and the mainstream AAA action titles that pop up. This sets expectations of video games as low as possible, since they never see stuff like Q3A or DF (where, with some background, you can create nearly anything). Outside of their respective scenes people are typically so ignorant about music that even the slightest showing of skill with one is considered praiseworthy. That's why douchebags playing four chords on a guitar to get chicks is a meme that will never die.
>>
>>34580629
4 chord pop songs objectively take more skill and talent to play than vidja
>>
>>34580879
Playing a keyboard and mouse is more difficult than playing a piano.

If you disagree it's only because you're a noob.
>>
Skill at video games benefits only you unless you are a streamer

Skill at an instrument benefits everyone around you and more if you post your music online
>>
>>34581077
>look i can make a music on this brainless normie machine ain't i special hurrdurr

it's just a way for shitters with no real personality to attention whore
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.