[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between serotonin, oxytocin and dopamine

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 1482981221263.jpg (99KB, 600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1482981221263.jpg
99KB, 600x1063px
What's the difference between serotonin, oxytocin and dopamine and how do I use them to trick myself into thinking I'm happy?
>>
>>34569948
nothing and you dont
>>
>>34569996
Well aren't you a negative Nancy?
>>
>>34569948
no i cant
but i learned how to accelerate piglet birth with oxytocin if that helps you in any way.
>>
>>34569948
Messing with serotonin makes you sad
Oxytocin is the cuddle chemical
Dopamine makes you feel good when you accomplish something

I think
>>
>>34570850
Dude, how the fuck do you accelerate piglet birth?
>>
>>34570913
snort a bunch of oxytocin and fuck pigs all day
>>
>>34570911
>Messing with it
What if I'm already sad?
>>
>>34570913
>be farmer
>have high pregnant sow
>have a life
>set the birth schedule to xy
>give oxytocin at appropriate moment
>birth is around near xy
>?????
>time
>>
>>34570913
>>34571007
oh, and i forgot to mention that it can prevent birthing complications i.e. sow is pissed af
>>
>>34570911
>Oxytocin is the cuddle chemical

So I can have that one entirely covered by snuggling up with my body pillow, right ?
Now, if I could only accomplish something maybe that dopamine would get in check too.
>>
File: 1466077065997.jpg (118KB, 1123x749px) Image search: [Google]
1466077065997.jpg
118KB, 1123x749px
>>34569948
I mean, the intuitive (but illegal) answer is drugs. But that's not sustainable even if we're talking about psychedelics (tolerance to them is massive and immediate, sometimes integrating trips takes months). If you want to feel happier you could try exercising. The so called "runner's high" is a very real thing and is a phenomenon that can be found in all forms of intense exercise. The other thing you can do is work on getting to understand yourself and your self concept so you can accept it, change it and do things that fulfill you better.
>>
>>34571329
Also shoutouts to OP for not being a beta bitch and actually trying to do something on /r9k/ other than bitch about his height, weight, or dick.
>>
>>34571329
I used to run cross country and lift weights. It was the worst time of my life. Also, I don't know if drugs would work either. It takes me like 10 shots of vodka to get tipsy.
>>
Serotonin and dopamine are neurotransmitters. Oxytocin is a hormone. Dopamine is the neurotransmitter used in the brain's reward system. It is supposed to reward behaviors that aid in survival, but this system has not changed to adjust for changes in our environment due to civilization. So, the dopamine system rewards many harmful behaviors. The function of serotonin is not as well-understood, but people who are depressed tend to have low levels of serotonin. Oxytocin is released to reward behaviors that aid in social bonding. Altering the brain's dopamine levels artificially through gambling, drugs, or gluttony is not generally helpful, but you can reward yourself with some of these behaviors to reinforce actually helpful activities such as work or study. If you have depression, it can be helpful to take a serotonin or serotonin/norepinepherine reuptake inhibitor. Unlike dopamine-affecting drugs, these drugs take weeks or months to begin working and their effects are subtle.

Small-scale human social interaction hasn't changed much in essence since the stone age, so oxytocin still rewards genuinely helpful behaviors. Masturbation just releases dopamine, not oxytocin. Enjoy meaningful friendships, romance, hand holding, cuddling, kissing, and real sex, and oxytocin will make you mentally and physically healthier. It basically helps with everything. You do not want to take oxytocin as a supplement. Using our most powerful hormone to reward isolating behaviors will make you miserable in the long run.
>>
>how do I use them to trick myself into thinking I'm happy?
Have a nihilistic mindset.
>>
>>34571455
Sounds like you've got some inner searching to do then.
>>
>>34571179
Probably yes, but for a short time.
You can manipulate dopamine in other ways, but again, it's only short turn and will make you even more miserable in a long run. Simply doing things like working out or learning new stuff can help tho, because it is 'productive'.
>>
>>34571455
Alcohol is shit. Smoke weed.
>>
>>34571840
This is how nihilism ruined me.
>>
>>34569948
Oxytocin is definitely the odd one out there. Could probably engineer some kind of attachment to a deformed wheelchair-bound girl though if you were desperate for love but didn't have standards that low. Not sure if it would work.
>>
iirc there was a study done on humans, involving direct stimulation of the "pleasure center" of the brain. The subject was given a button which allowed him to stimulate the area at will. He pressed it 1500 times and they had to stop the experiement prematurely.
>>
>>34572096
that's a really stupid experiment and i'm almost certain that never happened
>>
>>34572096
(heres a short video about it https://youtu.be/de_b7k9kQp0 )
>>
>>34572139

oops meant to link to you

>>34572152
>>
>>34572096
yea but it was done on mice, not humans. the latter proposed test subjects would never get approved by any ethics board kek
>>
>>34572200
did you watch the video they really did it to a human...
>>
>>34572200
>>34572139
heres the original paper
www (dot) violence (dot) de/heath/jnmd/1972paper.pdf
>>
>>34572471
The guy I'm talking about was patient B-19
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.