[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TO SELL A NAME

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 1485912528845.jpg (119KB, 1064x716px) Image search: [Google]
1485912528845.jpg
119KB, 1064x716px
Do people buy youtube URLs? Is this a thing?

If I had youtube.com/love for example, how much would it be worth?
>>
>>34569908
I suppose it would be like selling a domain name or something like that
>>
>>34569908
Seeing as it's a 4 letter name and is a word that can trend it may be worth a lot
>>
>>34569908
I'll take it for 4 tendies
>>
>>34569908
Do you have the name anon?
>>
>>34569908
It used to be wroth a lot back before you could just set anything as your name. I have a word as a URL and I used to get offers for it but not really anymore.
>>
>>34569997
But there are no price estimates for any Youtube URLs. Assuming a market even exists, has this been done before? What do you think that would go for?

>>34570083
A very similar one.
>>
lol sell it on hackforums
>>
>>34570090
interesting. offers in what range?

wish there was a way to estimate word value.
>>
Youtube is owned by google and for it you use your google name or a brand name which can be any word or combination of words, numbers and other symbols.
Neither your google account name, nor your brand names have to be unique so you can set it as anything you like.
You'd be selling sand in the Sahara.
>>
>>34569908
I remember a story about a guy who had "n" as a Twitter handle and he would constantly get offers from people willing to buy that from him. He also gets hacked constantly for a similar reason.
>>
>>34570718
i mean custom URLs not custom names

like youtube.com/4chan

or youtube.com/science

yadig?
>>
>>34570855
Isn't there a minimum url length? It might work for longer words possibly
>>
>>34570514
You don't need an organized market to do trade, anon. YouTube makes it really easy to contact the owner of a channel - if you really want one, all you need to do is offer a price.

That said, they're not that valuable because people go to channels through YouTube's search and you can pick any channel name you want. Usernames/URLs are irrelevant.
>>
>>34571033
but what if i had youtube.com/samsung

it would be intriguing for them no? how much would samsung offer? or is there no interest or use
>>
>>34569908
Doesn't youtube own these by default and can just yank them whenever they please?

Seems idiotic to assume you'd be able to freely reserve or sell them.
>>
>>34571124
They'd probably just file a trademark claim on the name.
>>
>>34571172
i already have them

>>34571298
fuck that i was there before samsung existed

and if it was youtube.com/science
and i claimed it first, wouldn't it appeal to science companies for better self-marketing or easy remembrance for linkage?
>>
>>34571309
/science is reserved by YouTube and has probably been since they switched to this URL scheme.

Also, wrt your hypothetical Samsung situation, it wouldn't have to be a legal claim (though I *think* a company can technically file and win those even if you owned the claimed property before their existence). They'd just have to send an email to YouTube asking for the name. Samsung makes literally billions of dollars for Alphabet, do you seriously think they'd side with you?
>>
Mr Bond, I don't suppose you care to um, raise the limit?
>>
>>34571518
i could say my dads name is samsung
or my name is samuel sungite

you all helped nothing. thank you for NOTHING
>>
>>34571564
Did you expect us to know the mechanics of how youtube works?
>>
>>34571614
are you new to the internet? weren't you around b4 youtube was created? don't answer that furry
>>
>>34571564
Are you retarded? We answered your question. The answer is that YouTube URLs are devoid of any material value, if you didn't understand. Saged for stupidity.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.