[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could I get a job as a programmer if I teach myself over, say,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
Could I get a job as a programmer if I teach myself over, say, the next 3 to 6 months? I heard Java, HTML and CSS are good languages to start with.

I'm a self-starter and I don't want to spend 4+ years sitting in a classroom if I could start working sooner. Learning at an accelerated pace and working sound much more appealing to me
>>
>>34536202
you got me to respond, i'll give you a 2/10
>>
>>34536202
yeah, no doubt. Especially if you have your own project to show off and aren't picky with where you wanna work. It's really easy to get burnt out though
>>
>>34536227

>aren't picky with where you wanna work

I just want to start earning money. I feel like once I have work experience I can get better jobs
>>
I know a guy who started learning himself last September using freecodecamp.com and he just left our factory cuck job and started a developer job this week.
>>
Yes, but it will take longer than that for the shortcuts to become muscle memory. It will initially take a while to solve some complex bugs but honestly teaching yourself is the best way to learn programming imo, speak from experience.
>>
>>34536250
>>34536252

That's great to hear! I've been a NEET for one month and I hate it
>>
>>34536202
>>34536227
>>34536250
>>34536252
i would not hire any of you. not having the degree doesn't necessarily mean you know nothing, but having the degree both shows you're serious and that i can trust you've had a proper amount of educational coverage/groundwork. you self-learner guys usually do really well in specific areas and immediately get lost and slow the fuck down when you hit something you didn't cover yourself (and would've been covered and practiced in a proper curriculum). we look for any reason possible to throw out resumes, there's just no time. maybe 1 in 1000 self taught guys will actually be able to bang, but there's just simply no time to find him.

and i'm sure there ARE places that would hire you but you have to consider that they also hired OTHER people like you... and these are now the people you have to work with, and who you work with is 99% how easy or hard your job is going to be as a code monkey. it's certainly not a place i'd want to be, but hey i'm a snob. maybe some food for thought
>>
without a degree, no.

you'll do minimal wage shit that indians will do cheaper.
>>
I'll try to give a realistic answer. I am a software engineer (after finishing a degree in CS.)

You could probably reach code monkey status through self-teaching in a few months if you are diligent about it. I think a year or two is a more likely timeframe.

From there, you could probably get an entry-level position if you interview well (!) and have demonstrable projects. By "demonstrable" I mean an application that is deployed, with presentable source, using the specific stack for whatever position you are applying for.

>Learning at an accelerated pace and working sound much more appealing to me
The implied statement here is that classroom learning is too slow for you. CS has one of the highest attrition rates of any subject. At no point did I think "this program is too slow for me" and I doubt many of my peers thought that. We were too busy studying.

I would actually recommend going for an associate's degree (there is very little opportunity cost), and if you feel the pace is too slow, than supplement with your own self-learning... Then you are free to transfer, or start working, depending on your own desire and ability.

I am a big proponent of having a traditional education in the field because I think there is guaranteed value there. But I'm also cognizant of the fact that some of the best people I've worked with were entirely self-taught. Generally speaking the people who excel are the people who genuinely consider computers fun and have curiosity to dig deep.
>>
>>34536760
not OP, but i'd like to think this is real advice as someone who's trying to change careers into something like this

but the fact it's on r9k makes me dubious of it all, so ehhh
>>
>>34536760
how is an associate's degree in computer science viewed by employers? is it really enough to be taken seriously and land a job?

>>34536339
same question?
>>
>>34536202
First of all

>html
>programming
Pick one

Now that we got that settled,

You are not going to learn any programming language in a few weeks until you have one under your belt. Java is a good start, but it will take a few months or more to fully understand. I reccommend you start off with processing javascript, and make websites with little javascript games inside of them.

This will teach you:
Html to make the websites
Processing javascript for the games and shit
(Optional)Css to beautify your html pages

I would then move onto processing java if you want to make applications. Then dive into c and later c++.

It's going to be a couple years before you will be programming on a professional level. I can guarantee that. You need to be dedicated if this is what you want to do.
>>
>>34536760
Hey can you give me some advice
I'm doing data structures and discreet

I took two c++ classes before this.
I'm transferring to a UC next fall.

What do I need to do to get a summer internship? I don't program for fun and it seems like that's an issue.
>>
>>34536804
It's my advice, I've managed to make a living doing what I love, take it or leave it...

>>34536826
It will help you get an entry-level position. Let's be very simplistic here. There are only a few scenarios that employers consider.
1. You do not have any formal education and you are not pursuing any formal education.
2. You have some education in the field.
3. You have a completed bachelor's or master's degree.
An A.S. puts you at number 2 with minimal opportunity cost.

>>34536995
I'll be honest, I did not do an internship and I think internships are overrated. They are usually too short to learn anything significant.

That said, I advise people to do an internship if possible because they are better than nothing and most people are lacking in some respect. I had been programming for longer than most of the other students.
Here is the process:
1. Create a resume right now if you have not. Ideally have your resume reviewed by someone who knows what they are doing. I have seen horrible resumes.
2. Apply to every single internship opening you think is do-able.
And be very lenient about "do-able." Can you show up? Then consider it do-able.

Try to create a project you can discuss using current libraries/frameworks. The project does not have to be original. Don't waste a lot of time overthinking.
>>
>>34537212
>An A.S. puts you at number 2 with minimal opportunity cost.
this is why it seems like a reasonable idea but i was unsure whether it would realistically lead to employment opportunities when there are so many people graduating with higher level degrees each semester.
>>
>>34537254
I finished my A.S. before my B.S. and that was the "launchpad" for my academic career which translated cleanly into my professional career. I am a proponent of community colleges because they worked for me.

It's helpful to play the game of elimination. Your goal is employment. You have exactly four options here.
1. You try to teach yourself. You hopefully proceed from self-taught to professional development. You forgo accreditation but you save money.
2. You start taking classes at a community college. Minimal financial/time investment. (Supplement with self-taught learning.)
3. You start taking classes at university. A larger investment for potentially more valuable education and accreditation.
4. You continue unskilled labor.
Right? Start scratching off options.

Career planning is difficult and you need to be able to simplify things. Most people bungle this stuff or they never get started.
>>
>>34537567
>they never get started.
yes, that's me.

thank you for the input but i'm slightly unsure of what your experience was. are you saying that you personally achieved entry level employment with an associate's degree from a community college and then continued your education while working or did you wait until the BS was complete to look for jobs?
>>
>>34536202
dont start with any of those languages, unless you want to go into webdev but then you're just competing with nearly everyone on tumblr until you start getting good.

If you're slow, start on python - wrap your head around object oriented programming, then go to C++, use formatting guides made by large companies for guidance and general program design advice.
>>
>>34536202
It's totally possible as long as you have something to show for yourself. Keep in mind that you're competing with people who went to school, people with internships and experience already.
>>
>>34537856
I learn better with a structure, do you have a good site on where to learn python? I was at codecademy, but I heard their python course was pared down for their premium subscription and that a lot of it is wrong as well.
>>
You can make it to code monkey status as self-learned, but you will never get a serious programmer job without a degree.

I'm an actual programmer. I have also worked with self-taught ones - never again. They are the worst. Worse than not having anyone, because you need to spend a lot of time undoing and redoing things they completely fucked up because they lack even basic understanding of some fundamental concepts.
>>
File: sicp.jpg (100KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
sicp.jpg
100KB, 600x338px
>>34537766
I finished my BS before I started working in this field. I finished my AS, transferred and finished my BS, then found employment. I don't advise everyone to follow my path exactly because I'm an exception in many ways. I started programming when I was 13 or 14. Look for employment immediately and continuously. Make your resume now. Apply now. Get rejected and repeat.

>>34537856
I started with C++ in the late 90's. I wanted to understand the Half-Life SDK. People waste so much time deciding how to start. Java is fine.

I am a "no bullshit" guy, okay? Learn a stack and get employed. Web development accounts for the vast majority of projects right now. Learn Spring (Java) or Rails (Ruby). Flip a coin. Learn JavaScript and specifically an MVC framework like Angular. Learn SQL. All easier said than done. How do you optimize a query? How do you restrict resources to authenticated users? What happens when you login? You will quickly realize why this stuff takes years to learn.

Make something you might personally find useful and ask someone you know to use it and tell you why it sucks. Try to break it, try to steal their data. It doesn't have to be original. It can be a duplicate of an existing service that you use.
>>
>>34538143
>Look for employment immediately and continuously. Make your resume now. Apply now. Get rejected and repeat.
thank you for the replies and the advice.
>>
>>34537890
Sites that teach you lessons aren't that good beyond teaching the basics, like flow control (ifs, elses, a few nuances about the language).

To learn to program, you just start programming - you'll run in to problems, look them up, and apply solution you find. By the time you've made program number 5, you'll look at your first program and scoff, it's a self improvement process.

Making a game is the easiest way of doing this imo, but you need to push yourself.
>>
>>34538143
>Web development accounts for the vast majority of projects right now. Learn Spring (Java) or Rails (Ruby)...

Yeah by web dev I meant front end, in regard to OP suggesting html / CSS.

I should have been more clear.
>>
>>34536202
Not OP but I'm trying this myself. I have experience with 3d graphics and computer vision as a programmer so I'm thinking of looking for a job. I also have math going up to linear algebra but no degree
>>
File: 1389766296320.jpg (49KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
1389766296320.jpg
49KB, 640x481px
>>34536202
I dunno which country youre at OP but I am in similiar position.
In my country noone cares unless you have a degree. I still make relatively okay money in IT-ish kinda job but I wish I could code.
I don't even need to learn it and I have really solid foundation. I think I'll just make apps on android and hope I'll luck out
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.