[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be better for me to just start studying for the GRA

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1485332851557.jpg (667KB, 2048x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1485332851557.jpg
667KB, 2048x1333px
Would it be better for me to just start studying for the GRA and try to get into graduate school? I've been looking for a job for FOUR MONTHS and have found nothing. I've probably applied for about 36 or so jobs and they've all denied me.

My mom is pestering me to go back to school for my M.A, she claims it'll help me find work. Frankly she's probably right, but I really didn't want to go back to school. It's a shame that I went to college for five years and can't even find some simple entry level jobs, of course I live in a rural white trash town in Texas with ZERO INDUSTRY so really the only jobs you'll find is minimum wage trash and what not.

I'm willing to relocate, but most employers aren't going to pay for you to relocate, I'm not about to move to Dallas or Austin and not have a secure job. My GPA is college was shit though, and I heard you need a 3.0 to be considered for graduate school, not sure how true that is. I had like a 2.5 or 2.6 GPA, PLUS I was on academic suspension and academic probation so not sure if that disqualifies me as well. Someone told me graduate school is a meme and even brain dead potatoes have gotten accepted to it, so that makes me hopefully. But as I said sadly I might have a better shot getting into grad school then finding work.

Trying to find work right now is just awful in my city, I'm a college graduate, I shouldn't be making minimum wage working part-time. I'd at least like something full-time paying me fucking $30,000 a year at least. I know that's not a lot of money, but I could live pretty comfortable on $30,000 a year. I don't have high living standards or requirements.

TL;DR: Should I keep looking for a job, or just try to pursue graduate school. Also I got my undergraduate in Communications and if I went to graduate school I'd probably get an M.A in Communications/Public Speaking, possibly look into being a Speech Pathologist even.

>Inb4 STEMfags
>Inb4 Haha liberal arts BTFO
>>
>>34527838
Your degree is useless and your masters will be just as bad. Your GPA and lack of work experience disqualifies you from virtually every single high and mid tier school. What makes you think a more expensive piece of paper will make you more qualified for jobs that don't exist?
>>
>>34528295
You do realize most employers look at the degree, and not what the degree is in, right? Especially for an entry level position. Knowing that someone has a Master's degree is usually a good way to stand out from someone who doesn't.

Also Public Speaking and Speech Pathology are not "useless" from what I researched and looked up they have an average median income of anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000 a year. That's not a bad margin in my opinion, also Public Speaking is still relevant in our society today. It'll probably never go away, and neither will Communication in general.
>>
>>34527838

did you intern for free yet? you have to intern for free to get work experience and a recommendation to apply for entry level jobs.
>>
>>34528389
No I didn't intern, sadly. Honestly I'd be fine interning but I live in a town with ZERO internships. Like I'd be fine interning and living with my parents, they said they'd be fine with that but I live in such a rural small white trash town that you can't find an internship here. So basically I'm probably screwed when it comes to an internship, and I have no professional experience either which I kind of need.

Also I kind of found out the hard way that "entry level" doesn't mean "You don't need any experience in this field to work here."
>>
>>34528377
Let me ask you this, how many people do you employ? Why do you think you have any authority over what employers are looking for. They're looking for competent people with firsthand references of work ethic and aptitude for learning skills. Getting a bad degree in an oversaturated field with no references or work experience isn't any of those things. If you go to grad school what makes you think your work ethic and ability to impress other people will change? You're just going to be in the same position a few years from now with more debt. If you have a path with an end goal in mind by all means go for it but if you don't have any idea what you're doing, take a step back and reevaluate your life
>>
>>34528440

"intern" means volunteer. you gotta try and send your resumes to firms and companies you want experience with, relevant to your career ideally.

who wants to turn down free labor? they don't so buck up and send them applications for free labor.

entry level means entry level pay.
>>
>>34527838
>>34528440
>bachelor's in communications
>2.5 gpa
>no experience
At this point, just apply for a wageslave job at Walmart or something and work your way up the ladder. Actual comms jobs want experience/good gpa and no grad school wants someone with a 2.5.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.