[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I become homeless?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: 87-1271073790sjjR.jpg (342KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
87-1271073790sjjR.jpg
342KB, 1280x853px
NEET here of 5 years. In the past year, I've become more and more self-loathing over how much of a useless parasite I am. Despite attempting numerous schemes to earn money at home, all of them have failed and I find myself approaching 25 with no work experience or income.

My relationship with my father is hateful on a level of sickness. I resent everything about him with every fiber of my being, and yet I understand this emotion is totally irrational since he's basically just an ordinary man who works hard to provide for his wife and manchild. In fact he doesn't even question my lifestyle anymore, and yet I still hate his guts. I know it's mostly rooted in my own self-loathing though, which is why I want to leave. I'm convinced that moving out and creating distance is the only hope of us ever getting along again.

My plan is to illegally live in a park or forest in a tent, sufficiently far from dwellings but still within range of a cell phone tower. I will connect to the Internet with an LTE modem. I will charge my computer with a small 2-stroke motor converted into a steam engine that runs on wood chips. I have thousands of dollars in savings and I can afford food for literally years before reconsidering my lifestyle. I already own some camping gear rated to -40 and I'm prepared to buy more. I am not currently interested in working a conventional job.

Every time I fantasize about walking out of this house, it fills me with hope. The knowledge that I'll have to sleep rough doesn't phase me at all. I'm almost certain that leaving would fill be up with tons of hope and peace again, and restore my self-worth entirely. I really want to do it.
>>
So your dad worked hard to provide for your mother and you, and you're solution is to spit in his face and waste all that effort and resources he put into you so you can sit around and be a bum?
>>
>>34514238
Oh don't get me wrong Anon, I owe him nothing beyond moving out. Once I'm independent of his finances, what I do with my life is none of his concern at all. This is called balancing empathy with self-interest.

We all agree the objective is for me to move out. We disagree on the method by which that's going to happen.
>>
>>34514209
Have you tested out your computer engine system? I'd suggest testing it and running it for like a month as if you were in the woods while still at home to make sure it all works
>>
>>34514274
>We all agree the objective is for me to move out. We disagree on the method by which that's going to happen.
You don't owe him nothing, your objectives are up to you. Being a bum is the dumbest possible thing you can do because you'll never not be a bum again. You're choosing to do this for the rest of your life whether you know it or not. If you were my son I'd honestly consider punching you if you told me this out of sheer frustration of how fucking stupid what you're saying sounds.
>>
>>34514209
Good luck space robot. Make it a comfy tent and send me pictures.

How will you get electricity? Do you have a generator or something.

It sounds to me like technology is a must for you. Maybe the outdoors isn't such a great idea? Or maybe you should become one with nature?
>>
>>34514344
I haven't built it yet. I reckon I need 41 W for 16 hours a day for my netbook, which is a pretty modest requirement. I don't know about a whole month of testing. Maybe a few days is enough? I really just want to get it done and get out of here. Every day that goes by where I feel like a failure who can't support himself is wearing down my sanity. Even being a homeless bum is supporting myself in a certain sense, because at least I'm forced to be self-reliant.

>>34514386
My mother's emotional attachment is the insurance policy. If I really can't make it as a bum or I really don't want to get a job at some point, she'll take me back in no matter what, even if my father doesn't want that at all. She basically overrides him in a lot of ways in their marriage. I think it's sad, frankly. I think my failure to move out is coming between them, and it's high time I leave for the sake of saving their marriage.

It's a win-win-win. I regain my self-worth, my father gets his space and a lower food budget, and my mother no longer has to choose between letting me live there and getting along with her spouse.
>>
>>34514209
This will end up in suicide or you crawling back home in shame. Trust me
>>
It sounds great anon. Do it now, why wait?
>>
>>34514426
>electricity

I've thought about this a lot actually. To me, steam powered by biomass is the only solution suitable for this climate.

>technology
I love technology. If I had the brain power, I'd probably have become an engineer. Instead I spent the past few years of my life tinkering with useless junk, and self-teaching myself various physical principles in ways that leave big knowledge gaps and keep me unemployable.
>>
>>34514441
You're dumb, if you thought this would actually work you'd of just grabbed your shit and gone and done it already. It's not like you have a good plan even. Just going to grab a tent, your laptop and walk out to a forest on foot.
You better hope park rangers find your camp first and send you to jail before a pack of meth heads or illegal pot growers find your camp and stomp you into a coma.
>>
>>34514209
This might just be the dumbest thing ive ever read

You'll either never do it (likely) or attempt it for a couple of days and give up.

What's more baffling is that you think becoming a fucking hobo will give you a sense of self-worth. KEK.

Get a job you fucking bum
>>
This is a terrible plan. You've got zero clue of how things work. You're prioritizing a laptop over food and medical coverage. How about ditch the laptop, get a real plan on how to survive, and come into the city only to email.

Generator in the forest, please...
>>
>>34514479
I'm okay with the prospect of coming back home. I pretty much have no shame left at this point so it's no big deal.

>>34514491
I need to convert the 2-stroke engine first and I'm too lazy. I wanted to see if /r9k/ had any opinions or points I may not have considered as well.

>>34514520
Not everyone lives in a Republican shithole in Appalachia. Take some more Valium, Cletus, it'll smooth you out a bit.
>>
>>34514606
>What's more baffling is that you think becoming a fucking hobo will give you a sense of self-worth. KEK.

-t has never been NEET

>>34514607
I would purchase food at grocery stores like everyone else. If my money runs out in three years, I guess I'll go home or bite the bullet and get a job. As for medical coverage, this is not a concern in the short term. I'm in decent physical shape.
>>
the problem will be that you wont be able to get comfy because your ass will get found and since youre illegaly tenting you will be forced to me. if you have thousands of dollars saved up, i suggest buying a small piece of land somewhere remote
>>
>>34514679
My point is that you're thinking way more about internet than water, food, shelter and other actual things that really matter to keep you alive. This is how I know you haven't thought it through
>>
>>34514679
>-t has never been NEET
i was a NEET for 12 months after graduating uni because i couldn't get a job. it was the worst and most demoralising period of my life. I had depression and all the rest of it.

getting a real, adult job was what gave direction back to me
>>
Google 'early retirement extreme' to see real plans that actually work and have been tested.
>>
>>34514612
lol you're gonna get pinched by a park ranged and handed off to a local pd within the first month, all your shits going to get destroyed and you're gonna be crying to mommy to get you out of jail and put way more stress on your parents relationship. Probably never slept outside a day in your life.
What a dumby, and you call me a hick. Too stupid to listen to reason, good luck being a bum.
>>
get a small solar panel instead of using a wood-chip engine, that dounds dumb
>>
>>34514679
>go back home
>get a real job
Either make plans for this to be permenent or get a real job now instead of wasting your money for 3 years then having to change lifestyle again.

Also how are you going to get internet on the laptop? Also you're gonna have to be way way out there to not get found, in which case you probably won't have cell service
>>
>>34514714
Oh wagecucks
>>
>>34514209
Everything your parents have done so far is for you. Running out on them will just bring them grief and pain. Just take some time out of the day and help around the house, and make your parents know that you'll take care of them( if not financially) but at least through love.

I'm Indian. Over here it's a Privilege and honor to take care of your parents. I know cultures and situations vary worldwide, but you should be there for your parents, that's what I feel.
>>
File: 1481556190718.jpg (9KB, 248x187px) Image search: [Google]
1481556190718.jpg
9KB, 248x187px
You're gonna make it op. I can feel it
>>
>>34514209
Try it for a week and see how you like it. How to do that? Tell your dad you're going camping for a week. Then make this decision after you get back with better information.
>>
>>34514209

wtf anon why a steam engine? That's stupid and won't work. Have some deep cycle batteries that you charge with a solar panel or something. Or if you have a car you could charge your laptop with that and an invertor.
>>
>>34514685
The problem is property taxes. I have no income with which to pay them, and drawing down my savings for a recurring expense is not a smart practice unless we're talking about a vital necessity like food.

>>34514711
Food and water is easy to buy, it's not a concern. Shelter, I'll give you that. I've considered many systems but I lean towards a bivy for its low profile. However, this has problems of its own, like trying to get inside without wetting the sleeping bag when it's raining and you can't have a tarp because it would be too visible.

>>34514714
You were frictionally unemployed for 12 months while actively seeking work. I doubt you've ever come directly to the realization that any type of job that remotely interests you will always be out of your reach, for life, because you're too incapable of doing them.

>>34514758
Do you have any advice then? In all fairness, you haven't actually suggested an alternative in this entire thread.

>>34514771
Solar is not viable for a backpacker in a winter climate with my energy needs. The panels required would be too heavy and cumbersome.

>>34514800
>Also you're gonna have to be way way out there to not get found, in which case you probably won't have cell service
This is the biggest concern I have. I'm basically going to have to live on the fringe of urbanized areas if I want reception. So what does that mean for being discreet? It's going to require a very careful study of possible campsites.

>>34514824
Anon, that's an uplifting post. I basically agree with you. I've serviced their appliances for free before and that's actually helped them save some money. If I left, I wouldn't be abandoning them since they have plenty of money already. It's more like my intention is to finally bring a peaceful end to all the tension in the house. I wouldn't totally cut all contact, but I do think some distance will benefit all of us.
>>
>>34514898
That's probably the smartest thing, even though making a clean break would make me the happiest.

>>34514915
It's actually the most robust solution for my climate. It's also good because the fuel would be free. I don't expect I'll need to be chopping down entire trees to get a few kWh per week. In fact, fallen logs would more than cover my needs.
>>
>>34514209
you will get caught and they will drag your ass to jail and/or the psych ward. That's just the way it is
>>
>>34515038
>psych ward
But why Anon? I'm not dangerously crazy (Although it would probably be a good idea if most of the urban homeless were offered mental health services.)
>>
>>34515020

If you are going illegal you don't want to use a fucking engine, I don't care how quiet it is. It's still going to stink, make noise and some smoke. Just get some solar charger and hand cranks.

While we are on the subject, why not just go to a camp ground and offer to clean the shitter once or twice a day for free lodging. I've been to a couple of places where people have that arrangement. Then you can shit and shower in retaliative comfort, as well as get some minor human interaction and not worry about getting arrested.
>>
Don't listen to the haters here anon.

Where do you live? Get a pop up tent and stay on the move. A park ranger would only move you along anyway.

There are loads of places I've found which I'm sure I could get away with living for a few weeks. It's after that it gets tricky as someone will find you. Most won't do anything and just ignore you. Obviously the worse person to be caught by it by any official, but even go to do hiker's might report you.

You could even get kids who learn of that wierdo that lives in a tent, and they'll keep coming to you to annoy you.

That's why I'd stay on the move. Even return to old places after a few months.

For food, learn to fish. There's so much equipment, including clothes and sleeptig stuff, that are made for this situation, and don't need cleaning all the time.

Plant seeds, and return to harvest your crop when you revisit old sites.

Make friends with local farmers. Learn to sign language also
>>
>>34515066
I have a 100 W panel. It's huge. It's heavy. I have no graceful way of carrying it. It's completely unsuitable to take with me. Then you have to factor in the fact that it's winter, that forests have shade, and that you'll need an inverter which will take its own considerable chunk of the power output.

>It's still going to stink
>smoke
You're right, who am I kidding. I thought steam could be a discreet alternative to an ICE but it's basically going to have all the same problems. Back to square one, I guess.

>I've been to a couple of places where people have that arrangement.
My guess is that you have to know somebody. Is sending out a bunch of emails to random campgrounds saying "hey, I'll clean your facilities in exchange for permanent free lodging" realistically going to work?
>>
>>34515112
In relation the the camp site, that anon is probably right. I'd just go up and ask face to face. It's would be more of an understanding than an official arrangement.

That, of actually pay and stay for a few days, get to know owener, and suss out if there is anything they need doing you could be of service off.
>>
>>34515084
Do you have personal experience with this? Thanks for your advice either way. So you're basically saying that getting caught is inevitable, realistically speaking.
>>
Email me
DemonicHellspawn 97501 at gmail . com

I've got a lot to teach you
I'll message you in the morning
>>
>>34515170
Depends on how far away from society you are. Further it is, the harder life will be, but harder to get caught.

You sound like you need to be closer to actually society, so this unfortunately is just a risk you have to deal with.

You'll be a wild animal anon. All animals suffer with some risk out there
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.