[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This... is my story..

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: meontheleft.jpg (152KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
meontheleft.jpg
152KB, 1920x1080px
I need validation please, even if it's just one person.

>27 yo male
>half japanese/half korean
>5'6
>about to retire

I started working and saving at 16. I knew that I wanted to retire young and met with a Chase financial adviser to learn about options. He helped me run the numbers and told me that if I opened a retirement account and managed to deposit $30,000 into it every year for 10 years, I would have enough money to continue withdrawing $3200/month for the next 40 years after it matured. This was right in the middle of the financial crisis so I was able to secure a ridiculous interest rate far beyond both of our expectations.

So now here I am 9 years later with just 1 more year to go before retirement. I sacrificed everything in order to pursue my own idealized notion of freedom by aggressively applying for jobs that paid well (taking on 3 full-time jobs at some points), sacrificing all education and social interactions. The only source of entertainment I've ever had has been this site. I've lived in the crawlspace of a gay man's attic paying $200/month for rent and eaten instant ramen and chef boyardee for practically my entire adult life. I managed to save far more than I ever imagined after landing a job that paid $120,000 as of 3 years ago.

Was it all worth it? Depends who's asking, right? I never experienced a youth and feel like a blank slate more than anything else. Haven't been to a theater in over a decade and didn't do the whole anime/vidya thing. I know I don't have a personality and I don't know if a steady $6000/month can be considered comfortable later down the road. My main concern is inflation but I plan to be open to the possibility of moving to a different country to stretch the savings further if necessary. or even just continuing to work for another 10 years to quadruple my annuity.

I keep telling myself that I can still explore the world and all that I've missed but somewhere in the back is a voice of regret saying I fucked up.
>>
have you seen the state of the world, anon? I would start traveling right now if I were you before it gets a lot more expensive and a lot more dangerous

I have visited three countries outside the US and they were all majority white. I recommend those
>>
>>34499095
Yeah, these sure are interesting times we're living in. I wouldn't know where to begin except for visiting family in Japan/Korea but I feel like I can always do that.

Do you have any suggestions? I browse /trv/ but they all seem to be about sex tourism and I don't have any real desires in the first place.

Which countries did you go to? Which other countries would you suggest?
>>
>>34499058
Interesting story. How are you still sane after eating like that and living in such a small space? Still KV? What does your family think of your lifestyle?
>>
>>34499153
I've been to Canada (full west coast tour because I reside in California)
Canada barely counts as "outside the US" but I also visited Sweden for a destination wedding and afterwards Ireland for a vacation, I have a lot of Irish heritage and such

All three countries were great in their own ways but I definitely loved the Swedish countryside and Ireland more than anything. Wish I could live there instead of the states

Japan and Korea would be high on my list to visit actually.
>>
>>34499058
Retirement is just waiting to die. I plan on working until I die. But I'm going into an industry I actually want to work in.

https://youtu.be/brkY2Lry3Hk
>>
>>34499058
I'm also 27, but I have absolutely no money whatsoever. I wanted to tell you that you clearly have a work ethic that can be extended to things beyond money. Wasting away on meager interest probably won't suit you, but that doesn't mean you need to go all hardcore with the working and saving money like you have been.

I've spent my time researching women and pickup theory. I have a gf now, and I can tell you that you can still experience things in life. I'm not going to say that you didn't miss anything, though. You could become great. You can still do anything. Don't waste your finances and work ethic wasting away for the rest of your life.
>>
>>34499319
I forgot to add that you'll be happier if you have goals you work towards instead of living like a NEET every single day. For a lot of people this means having a fulfilling career, which there's nothing stopping you from having. You can work towards having a job that doesn't feel restraining, but rather that you enjoy. That way you can still feel "free".
>>
>>34499168
I've had to tell myself everyday for the past 10 years that it'll get better and it was all worth it but now as I near the end of this journey a panic is setting in. Not sure if it's the positive feeling of expectation or dread about the insecurity of the future. It helped that I drowned myself in work even on the weekends and only went back home to sleep.

Still KHV and get tingles when girls sit next to me on the bus.

I dropped out when I was in middle school and haven't seen my immediate family since I was 15 when I was caught by the city's truancy patrol and they forcibly took me back to them. I email my cousin like once every 4 years and don't think they know what I've been doing, and quite frankly I don't care. She was the only person that ever cared about me and now that I think about it she'd probably be my first visit in Japan.

>>34499248
I've been to Canada for work and you're right, it's pretty much the States so I didn't even consider that as an option. Is Sweden as dangerous as /pol/ makes it out to be? I have to admit I do have some intrigue and want to see it with my own eyes. I considered it as a possible retirement destination many years ago but now I'm not so sure.

For some reason I have a certain fondness and lack of interest at the same time for visiting English-speaking countries.

>>34499289
>>34499319
>>34499343
Thank you for this. You properly expressed my worries and apprehension in a better way than I could've hoped to convey even if I wasn't limited by the character count limit. Because I've been working for so long, I'm afraid of the me that I am without it. There's just so many unknowns up ahead that I'm almost more inclined to just keep working. But then what's the point of having lived a life like this if I end up dying and never having reaped the benefits I set out for? Every other option besides retirement seems depressing and confining the more I imagine the futures that stem from them.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.