[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey robots, how do i small talk with people in university?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

hey robots, how do i small talk with people in university?
>>
Want to know why dumb people are so good at social interaction? We smart people overanalyze it. We spend 12 minutes thinking about every possible result of an action, dumb people don't. Dumb people will just do whatever their simple mind conjures up this time, not even giving it a split second of thought. I suggest you take a hint there. Stop thinking for a second, and just say what comes into your mind when it comes into your mind. Just like dumb people.

Then on top of that, you set the mood. If speak slowly, softly, with a stutter and wait 5 seconds after each sentence, whatever you say will feel like a big deal. If you speak smoothly and casually and don't give what you said any time to sink in, it'll feel casual smooth and inconsequental to the other as well. So do that.

But in the end it doesn't even matter how you do it, you're going to have to fail in order to learn. So just do it, that's the only way. Either you do it right now, or you're never going to. If you fail, you learn. If you don't do anything, you will spend eternity in the misery you are in right now.
>>
I suggest engaging in small talk with people at university. Use trial and error like everybody else.
>>
>>34434196
what if everything i say when i stop thinking is retarded shit

Sometimes I have to spend a lot of time assembling a coherent, sensible, not stupid and relevant sentence in my head. Otherwise I make myself look like an absolute retard. Also, sometimes there is literally NOTHING I can possibly come up with to say to someone and I just stand / sit silently, which makes the situation even more awkward for them.

I think I might be some sort of a retard.

not op btw
>>
I used to just say hi and ask a couple of questions until I got someone going. It worked on my first semester, not so much after that.
>>
>>34434903
Say it anyway. If only to break the loop.
>>
>>34434196
You're not particularly smart, you're just a pussy
>>
>>34433976
You don't. Music is your only friend in university.
>>
>>34434983
You know how to live friendo
>>
>>34434903
Everyone is different. Some people have a natural talent for conversation, doesn't mean they're dumb.

I can talk a lot but I usually say a lot of retarded shit and come off as a dick. I found it's better to not say much and just let the other person do most of the talking than saying whatever comes to mind. It depends on you mostly, but if you're in an awkward silence just ask a question. Like, whatever, what you had for lunch or something. It's better than nothing.
>>
Why would you even want to make small talk?
>>
>>34434903
This is also me.
Have you ever listened in on a small talk conversation though?
People talk about the most trivial, meaningless shit and pretend to be interested in what they are saying to each other. Maybe they are interested. It just seems like bullshit.
I don't want to pretend to be interested in bullshit.
>>
>>34435051
I don't think people engaged in small talk actually care about the topic itself but more about the other person's perspective on it. That way they get to know each other.
>>
>hi I'm <player name here>
>wait for them to introduce themselves
>what are you studying?
>wait for them to answer
>comment on their answer, then give your own
>ask them how they are enjoying this class/their classes/university in general
>follow the conversation from there, commenting, reciprocating and asking open ended questions
>>
File: 1427591069754.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1427591069754.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
>>34434196
tfw to intelligent to talk
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.