[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If a fetish is a marginal sexual act, would having sex itself

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1482893372814.jpg (438KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1482893372814.jpg
438KB, 1200x900px
If a fetish is a marginal sexual act, would having sex itself be a fetish for someone sexually inactive?
>>
>>34424961
>a fetish is a marginal sexual act
What do you even mean by that?
>>
>>34424961
Ah, I don't see people use that sense of the word "marginal" on the internet very often. I usually only see it in the context of accounting or economics, as in "marginal decisions." If I understand you right, a marginal sexual act would be a sexual act that is one step removed from ordinary sex. That is, it would be normal sex plus one thing that is different, say, latex clothing for example. I would use the word "unusual" or "different" in place of "marginal" here, since "marginal" is never used in this context.

A fetish is not so much a different sexual act as a different sexual desire, or sexuality. Or, to put it differently, it is a very specific sexual desire. Foot fetish, as an example, is an attraction to feet. Feet are not a sexual act, but rather they are a specific body part that some people find appealing. Another specific attraction might be hair that is dyed bright, unnatural colors, which is something that I enjoy. So, sex itself would not be considered a fetish, since it is not specific enough.
>>
>>34425043
What I say is people perceive conventional sex as sex. But if it is practiced unconventionally it is a fetish. So would sex itself be a fetish from the standpoint of someone sexually inactive since it is inordinary for them?

>>34425132
Haha you are right, but I think I used it right for the context. Isn't unusuality of a data at the margin similiar to that of sexual unusuality? But english isn't my mother tongue so I would love to be enlightened using this would be marginal.
>>
>>34425339
Yeah, "marginal" is a technical term, usually only used for talking about practical things like finance or engineering. I'm sure you have formal, technical words and informal, conversational words in your first language. The confusion here is caused by using an uncommon, formal word for an informal subject.

"Marginal" has a few meanings in English. The most commonly-used meaning is "barely good enough,' as in not bad, but less good than "okay." For example, "I had some fries at the restaurant. They were cold, but marginal. I still ate them." This is a bit formal, but can be used in conversation.

Another meaning is similar to "insignificant' or "minor." For example, "The hamburger was delicious, so the cold fries were of marginal importance. I still enjoyed the meal." This is also somewhat common.

The use of the word in your post is a third definition that is closely related to the second definition. In accounting, we have the concept of a "marginal decision." This comes from the same definition as the second one. For example, if I purchase 5 pounds of potatoes at the grocery store, a marginal decision is available. I have 5 pounds. Do I want to buy 6 pounds or 4 pounds instead? That is the marginal, or small, decision.

These decisions are made one at a time. I put 5 pounds of potatoes in the bag. Then, I look at the bag, see that I need more potatoes, and put another pound in the bag. Now I have 6 pounds of potatoes. This is where we get the "step-by-step," or "one more or one less," or "one at a time" third meaning of "marginal" from. That usage is very uncommon outside of accounting and economics, and most people don't know about it. So, your use of "marginal sex act" to mean "normal sex, but with one difference" would cause confusion in this context.

Perhaps there is not a word for the same concept as "fetish" in your first language. But it is just something specific that a person finds attractive, such as red hair. "Sex" is not specific enough.
>>
>>34425339
I see. Well to your answer question I think 'fetish' is only relative culturally, not relative individually.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.