[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need advise robots, I want to be a director or a writer, I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Catch22.jpg (31KB, 241x360px) Image search: [Google]
Catch22.jpg
31KB, 241x360px
I need advise robots, I want to be a director or a writer, I'm a junior and I'm running out of time before I will have to choose what I do in college. I'm smart enough that I could do about anything I like, and I thought I had it figured out. I thought I would play it safe and become a lawyer, but I can't shake the fact that I want to produce art. What do? Do I play it safe or do I take an unlikely chance that people will like any of the art I create?
>>
>>34419357
Do what you're good at but keep your passion projects moving on the side.
>>
This is a pretty hard one to answer in all honesty.

A degree in more or less anything will increase your future earnings. Don't listen to people that talk about "shit tier" majors and all that. If you study art you aren't doomed to live out on the streets for your entire life. But it's very likely that you're going make a way less than if you had ended up studying something else. You have to acknowledge that fact and make a decision. Don't consider the possibility that you make a lot of money on your art. That possibility does exist, but the simple fact is it's very remote. That's just the truth. Accept that if you study some form of art you will spend your life with less money than if you went to law school. A lot less. I'm not saying that you shouldn't still do it. You just need to be honest with yourself.

If you really do want to take the plunge then I would recommend that you consider pursuing your field of study all the way to a M.F.A or a PhD. Being a professor will afford you a lot of luxury to pursue your art as well as a decent quality of life.
>>
Another piece of advice. If you do decide to get a J.D., don't follow the usual practice and get a b.a. in history before going to law school. Get your undergraduate degree in economics. There's a lot of demand in corporate law for lawyers that understand economics.
>>
>>34419357

Do what you will do well and make a lot of money.

School is to increase your earning potential, not some stupid do what you love.

Work is to make money. Then do art or snow board or whatever the fuck you want on the weekends or on vacation.
>>
>>34420449
A typically shallow outlook. Money isn't even real, and niether are you.
>>
>>34419357
>I need advise
>I want to be a director or a writer
Director might be the better option
>>
>>34420449
>>34420523
Hard to say which statement is more stupid.
>>
>>34420557
It's more to say which statement is hard.
>>
My first year in college I went in planning to be a doctor. I had intense dysphoria with the setting and people and realized I wasn't satisfying myself just what others told me/expected of me/what seemed stable.

So I started taking art and psychology just to give it "the old college try" and I suddenly loved learning again. It felt like I had purpose and found something I could make a difference in with my life rather than just going through motions. I'm now near finishing my BFA in painting and BSC in psychology. I plan to go to graduate school for art therapy. I could not be happier about giving my dreams a chance (I was never especially talented at drawing so it scared me a lot, I was good at everything else like math and science but art didn't come naturally but I practiced and practiced).

College is the time to find yourself. Take the classes you're interested in. If you're smart like you say, money and stability will come, and the feeling of making money doing what you love beats the feeling of doing shit work just to pay bills into the ground.

You can change your mind. A year or so extra of school it would take is a blip on the radar of your lifespan. There's really no risk in at least trying what you love. People who complain about their degree failing to get them work really didnt have passion or ambition I think.

That being said know that if you pursue being a writer you are obligated to sell your soul to Satan, become an alcoholic, and commit suicide. This is how you seal your work into the annals of history.
>>
File: 1478556462543.jpg (84KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
1478556462543.jpg
84KB, 1080x608px
>>34419357
ban this underaged fuck.
the day you actually produce content is the day you are a director/writer. going to school doesn't make you good. you should be shitting out short films and scripts right now that all suck but show potential. if you haven't been that dedicated be a lawyer to make mommy and daddy happy. going to film school could just be an expensive jerk off session.
>>
>>34419357
Get an actual career in something you think is moderately interesting.
Unless you want to be a literature teacher or something.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.