[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Into the Wild

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2336.png (89KB, 300x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2336.png
89KB, 300x475px
>isolates self in wilderness
>finally finds true happiness
>died happy
Why haven't you tried this? Seems like it's a better alternative to something like suicide. I've always kind of wanted to do something like this. Minus the dying.
>>
>>34401192
>four months
>decomposed body
I think you'd find a better life if you took your $25k in savings, liquidated your assets and invested it into a really nice tent or a small shack and tried to actually survive rather than wandering into the woods ready to die.
>>
>>34401192
How did this drunk hippie expect to survive winter???

That's a sexy cover
>>
>>34401192
>died happy
He probably died slowly and suffered through incredible pain and agony for hours until eventually passing out desu
>>
>>34401273
>Death looms as serious threat
>those empty entries, that excited tone about failing to kill the bear so he could eat, more empty entries and the circled 113 that he never lived to draw a blank entry line for
It's kind of morbid, isn't it?
>>
I've heard about this before there is a film of it right? Is it any good?
>>
> typical liberal hippie that worships environmentalism and has a romanticized view of nature as a nurturing Earth Mother.

> meets reality

> finds self unprepared
>>
>>34401416
yeah the films pretty good, pretty fucked up, but good
>>
>>34401192
He had all his ID and $300 in his sock when he died, just pointing that out. Neat fantasy, though. I'm halfway there myself.
>>
>>34401436
>kills a Moose
>takes an entire week to fuck up butchering it and move on
You know if he took the time to learn how to field dress a moose and properly smoke the meat he might have fucking survived throughout the winter on all of that meat and he'd be here today.
>>
>>34401454
This guy is an idiot.

I don't think he even finished field dressing it. In fact I don't think he understands what field dressing is. He never skinned the animal and removed the leg without skinning. He remove some organs one day and some other organs several days later. I think he may have actually attempted to smoke the large meat sections whole, in the same way that one would smoke a ham. He makes no mention of removing the meat from the bone to smoke it.

As hungry as he was, it did not occur to his urban liberal sensibilities to eat some of the meat raw, which would have been perfectly safe provided that the kill was fresh.

I think he just gave up and abandoned it.
>>
>>34401571
He did give up on Day 50.
The meat that he did manage to salvage lasted him, presumably, until the the 65th (15 days after giving up, or a whopping 22 days after the kill) when he wrote "End Moose"
Like I said, despite having no clue what he was doing he still wasted an entire week on the animal before he said "Yeah this carcass is fucking rotten with too many maggots in it, can't eat this anymore."
>>
Reading those diary entries, it occurs to me that he was not even shooting the animals he seeing. He's actually just wildlife-watching. If he shot those animals and ate them, he may have lasted.
>>
>>34401608
I want to say that the things he actually killed and ate are marked with the ! marks, although I feel inclined to say he ate a LITTLE more meat than that (and I find it kinda hard to believe he bagged 8 squirrels on Day 84)
But I mean the dude arguably starved to death after ingesting Wild Potato seeds that the natives know not to eat so he was obviously a mostly vegetarian faggot. Probably got scarred by killing and wasting the moose.
>>
I think McCandless was a very naive young man with a good heart. He was doing what a lot of other people dream of doing but never do. Ultimately, he died because he was ignorant and idealistic. Had he bothered to buy a map of the Stampede Trail, he probably could have stumbled on out of the wild and back to a paved road.

I've traveled extensively, have hiked in the Himalayas, and grew up with an outdoorsman dad who taught me how to shoot, skin and gut deer, camp, fish, and get around in the woods. There's no fucking way in hell that I would ever think myself competent enough to survive solely off the land in Alaska for a half-year.

Feel bad for the guy, because I think he was good at heart and didn't have bad intentions, but that's what happens when you try to play hippie with Mother Nature.
>>
File: unabomber.png (230KB, 413x499px) Image search: [Google]
unabomber.png
230KB, 413x499px
>>34401192
What first-world guy could actually manage that? Even picrel failed to achieve complete self-sufficiency.
>>
>>34401877
Yep.

Outside of civilizations bubble nature is harsh and unforgiving. He went out with no knowledge and paid for it with his life.

It is sad that he had to die as he clearly didn't understand the risks. But I suppose that is what civilization does to us. We forget how hard, I mean really hard, life used to be.
>>
>>34402195

Definitely.

Like I said, I can completely understand where he was coming from. I went to live in South Asia by myself for a year and a half because I wanted to see a new place and engage with a mostly-alien culture. Spending a while in Alaska and hiking the Appalachian Trail are two of my bucket list items.

However, walking into a big stretch of woods without a map or a satellite phone or an emergency contact is suicidal if you lack knowledge of the terrain and survival know-ho. There's definitely an appeal in going off the grid and and outwitting Mother Nature; the problem is that most of us have no clue how to forage for subsistence in an uncontrolled circumstance.

I think there was another fellow who died in Alaska after taking a bush plane to a lakeside campground. He forgot to confirm his pick-up date and committed suicide because he was on the verge of starvation. Apparently he had fucking thrown boxes of shotgun shells into a nearby river because he didn't think he'd need them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_McCunn
>>
>>34401192
>gave 25,000 to charity
>burnt the cash in his wallet
Don't wanna give them too much ey lad?
>>
>>34401192
I would lose all my gains which is the only thing I have
>>
>>34401192
He didn't die happy thought. One of the last thinks he did before he died was create a sign that said "Happiness only real when shared" Before dying a miserable fucking death from potato plant poisoning and starvation

Maybe you should actually finish reading the fucking book before posting
>>
File: varg.jpg (76KB, 550x403px) Image search: [Google]
varg.jpg
76KB, 550x403px
>>34402016
Papa Varg is almost there.
>>
>>34401347
That's creepy as fuck... Gee...
>>
>>34401571
He died 50 days later than the moose incident, do you really have to push your political views into everything,you autistic piece of shit?
>>
>>34401654
> Vegetarian faggot
What is your problem? He survived from hunting, you idiot. He resorted to roots and Vegetables when he could no longer hunt out of weakness and starvation.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.