[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will learning how to play the guitar make me more attractive?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 15

Will learning how to play the guitar make me more attractive?
>>
No, everybody knows how to play the guitar, and Chad will better at it than you like everything else.
>>
Long answer: looks only matter

Short answer: no
>>
>>34380958
If you can play well and, perhaps more importantly, sing well then you'll get some attention.
>>
>>34380958
It can't hurt, but you still don't stand a chance against Chad. Chad will win every time.
>>
File: images (13).jpg (13KB, 469x314px) Image search: [Google]
images (13).jpg
13KB, 469x314px
>>34380977
Check'd

Dubs speaks the truth.
>>
>>34380977
>Chad will better at it

He won't have to be, it will be enough for him to play the opening of Smells Like Teen Spirit and chicks will be all over him, meanwhile you can play a note-perfect Necrophagist cover and nobody will care because you're an ugly dork.
>>
>>34381069
Actually Chad will play a note-perfect Necrophagist cover and he'll learn it faster and play it better than you.
>>
>>34381069
Girls and normies don't like death metal. They don't appreciate the technical proficiency required to play it. It just sounds like noise to them.

You're better off learning to play something like Thinking Out Loud if you want to impress normie bitches.
>>
>>34381234
>technical proficiency
literally just gotta put the hours in practice
>writing something truly memorable
can't be taught, you are either born with it or not.

That's why Ed Sheeran is a far more successful and overall better musician than those literal homosexuals from Necroshitter.
>>
>>34380958
If you are considering any instrument to be attractive, just stop now. You're wasting your time. Just buy my a guitar instead.
>>
no its 2017 guitar is not mainstream popular anymore
its being a dj and making rap beats today

so start rapping anon and get pussy.
>>
>>34381492
>being a dj
>rap

Is this 2003?
>>
>>34380958
Learn to play a guitar if you like, but do it for yourself, hone the skill, perfect it. Don't be a poser that does it just to attract attention.
If you stick long enough, and probably start playing with a band, or being invited to gigs from another bands. Women are social animals, and very likely you will find that girl.
>>34380977
>>34381002
>>34381069
Stop this Chad enabling bullshit.
>>
>>34381529
This. Impossible to be in a gigging band that plays at least a show or two a month and to not get a gf.

But its an expensive hobby desu and you really need to love the music in order to endure all the bullshit that comes with it.
>>
>>34381529
This. It might take years to learn how to play, but it's worth it.
>>
OP Here, anyone know what's a good starting guitar?
>>
>>34381589
What kind of music are you looking to play and what's your budget?
>>
>>34381589
depends on your budget really
don't waste more than 300 though, cause you won't even know how to care of it.
squire's standard models are pretty good
>>
File: 74508575050742508870433180123n.jpg (272KB, 600x573px) Image search: [Google]
74508575050742508870433180123n.jpg
272KB, 600x573px
>>34380958
if you're creative and have fun doing it, certainly. setting goals and chasing them is an attractive feature. like pointed out earlier, nailing some technical 80s metal solo is real cool among bro's and players but it's not a pussy coupon unless you play recent pop songs and sing like a fag. best option is to get your groove on and enjoy playing what you like.

>>34381589
get a squier strat or ibanez gio (preferably fixer bridge) to start messing around. if you have a specific sound in mind it could lead you elsewhere but it's good to start with something allround, easy and cheap. a starter set would do as well since it includes an amp and usually straps/cables etc.

good luck, almost-born rocker
>>
No, it's not 2005 anymore.
>>
>>34380978
>>34380977

I have played electric guitar for a few years now, and I'm pretty ok at it and the short answer is basically, no. Playing guitar will not make you more attractive.

But playing guitar as an attractive man will make you look more attractive. Nobody finds a robot playing guitar attractive.

TRUST ME ON THIS OP. The most you will get is "woah that is so cool" from girls but THAT'S IT. NOTHING MORE.
>>
>>34381654
not this guy but ibanez gios are a solid choice of you are into metal. otherwise get a cheap squire or something.

your first guitar will be shit no matter what so just choose something that you like the looks of. Looks are the most important at first because you want a guitar that will inspire you to pick it up when you walk into the room and see it. You won't know what a good tone is at first, nor will you know what is playability and setup/action and all that shit. Just get something that looks cool to you and play. Every day.
>>
>>34381589
Learn bluegrass acoustic, be different from every other teenager who needs 50 kg of electrical equipment to even make a sound and only plays pop songs and punk rock covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAvw3BSR9uc
>>
>>34381680
>Nobody finds a robot playing guitar attractive.

That depends. If you're really good at it you will get female attention.

Also, if you're in a band you will get laid no matter how ugly you are.
>>
>>34381680
do you even gig bro?
>>
>>34381608
I like indie, stuff like The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, The Doors, The Killers etc. My budget is 200$

>>34381654
>>34381630
I'll look into getting a squier, but won't I need pedals and an amp? Any recommendations?
>>
>>34381718
squier jaguar, squier stratocast, squier telecaster. see which looks you like the best.
>>
>>34381680
That's why OP should do it for himself, if he enjoy doing it, not to be a poser or an attention whore.
In any case, women like when a man doesn't give a flying fuck about anything but his hobby or passion (in this case, guitar playing).
You don't necessarily have to be in a band, you could get good enough to be a guitar teacher one day, and hang out with men and women that teaches other instruments.
>>
>>34381718
Get the cheapest small bedroom amp, like a Fender Frontman. You don't need pedals for the very beginning.
>>
>>34381704
>gigging

now it's getting interesting. playing music is silver, performing (your own shit) is gold. aim high, solo higher

>>34381718
there's these modelling amps that I tried in a shop once from Fender, mustangs I think. they're nothing amazing but what's important right now is that you explore the spectrum of possibilities, and find your own place among all those sounds as you learn and get to know your own style. those modelling amps basically simulate the good/expensive stuff so you can try out a lot. maybe there are better alternatives out there already so keep on looking. i purchased my stuff a while ago so i'm not up-to-date.

A simple Park G10R is also real cool. pedals won't be necessary for quite a while. A stratocaster by squier is probably the most versatile of them all. my gf has a jaguar and my friend has a telecaster. they're really cool if that's the particular sound you're after, if you can make the call, go ahead.
>>
>>34381769
the point I was trying to make is that no wonder you dont get qts if all you do is play in your bedroom. girls dont get wet when they hear that you play guitar, they get wet when they SEE you play it up on the stage.

its a long way to the gigging game but thats the goal. don't be one of those jerks who has a guitar on a stand in his room as a room decoration and who doesn't play in a band.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170124-073658.jpg (688KB, 1422x2464px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170124-073658.jpg
688KB, 1422x2464px
You robots are awesome. I've been looking on Guitar center's website and I found pic related. You think I should get it?
>>
>>34381680
>7th grade
>play with a guitar after music class
>nothing fancy, some metallica, nirvana, tenacious d, etc
>gang of Staceys who I have never spoken to comes and says I suck
>the leader says her bf can play guitar a lot better than me
<I know the guy, he can barely play chords but is a mega Chad

>at Uni
>introducing ourselves
>say that my hobby is playing guitar
>literally half of the class say they either play guitar or bass

Playing guitar is like the number two hobby nowadays after "Netflix". That's why I don't say to people anymore that I play.
>>
>>34381837
Why not try finding people and start a band?
>>
>>34380958
Check out Rocksmith, it's like $40 at most to get the software and a cable and it allows you to learn playing guitar on your computer in a Guitar Hero-style game. I learned to play guitar exclusively with that.
>>
>>34381834
cheap as fuck, go for it. buy a set of new strings while you are there and have them put them on and set the guitar up for you. the set up is very very important.
after its set up properly you can put new strings yourself without any other noodling, plenty of youtube tutorial on that.

and buy a cheap tuner.
>>
>>34381866
Rocksmith limits the amount of things you can learn. Sure it'll teach how to play a song, but what YouTube video or online tab doesn't? I think Justinguitar is much better source.
>>
>>34381893
Well yeah, Justinguitar is also great. I already play another instrument semi-professionally so I mainly picked up the guitar to learn some riffs. I think Justinguitar + Rocksmith would be a good combo to get a more complete experience.
>>
>>34381859
>I don't give a fuck about playing to other people
>>
>>34381718
i don't really think pedals are necessary for a beginner imo
im one myself, and only now that ive learned the basic chords and other stuff do i want to play with a pedal. as for amps, squier has this pack that comes with an afinity strat, some picks, and a small amp that's great for bedroom playing.
honeytone has a cheap good amp too, but mine broke after a month of playing.
>>
>>34381945
ive only been playing on and off for 2 months, and yeah justinguitar has been amazing.
if you're ADD like me and sometimes have to will yourself to keep practicing, rocksmith goes along great with justinguitar as it's pretty much a reward system and gives you some instant gratification via learning songs.
>>
Hey OP, I play and sing, and recently have gotten into recording as well. I don't know about more attractive, but I certainly feel more confident in myself. Hope this helps.
>>
>>34381186
No he won't. Chad doesn't even have the ambition and dedication which is required when learning an instrument. Chad doesn't even listen to any form of extreme metal.
>>
>>34381893
this, i learned a lot from him (though i also have a teacher), great source and his passion really jumps over on me
>>
File: taps_bugler.jpg (11KB, 200x152px) Image search: [Google]
taps_bugler.jpg
11KB, 200x152px
Will playing the trumpet make me more attractive and get me a girlfriend?
>>
What's a good bass for newbie?
I've been thinking getting one since it seems more simple than guitar and overall mt favorites are bass players - Geezer Butler, Al Cisneros, Cliff Burton (rip), Lemmy (rip), Dixie Collins etc.
>>
File: 7_trumpet-1.jpg (64KB, 480x193px) Image search: [Google]
7_trumpet-1.jpg
64KB, 480x193px
>>34383167
No replies?
I guess there is no hope.
>>
>>34383717
Any hobby is better than none, maybe join a reggae band
>>
>>34381434
>Ed Sheeran

you know that there's a middle ground in between technical shit like Necrophagist and normie singalongs like Ed Sheeran?
>>
No. Women aren't attracted to musicians. Women are attracted to attractive people who happen to play music.
>>
>>34380958
Get an acoustic and try to play 15-30 mins every day. If you end up actually being decent it's the fastest way to some daddy issues pussy
>>
File: 1485040955240.jpg (50KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1485040955240.jpg
50KB, 480x480px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukD8zj6ngVY
Have a Great Week Creators
>>
>>34381525
you're joking right? Hip hop is more relevant than ever
>>
File: k-on1.jpg (12KB, 269x300px) Image search: [Google]
k-on1.jpg
12KB, 269x300px
>>34381529
>>34381560
>>34381562

you're all extremely wrong, it's 90% looks

I gigged steadily from 14 to 30 and the people who set up my rig got more ass than I did because I'm a fat shit. The bands I was in kinda held their nose because while unattractive, I was the best they could get. Meanwhile, the guys breaking down my drums had to fend off succubi after the show.

this all makes me easily identifiable, but I don't care. If you want to play, play for your own needs, but if you look like a dumpster fire, no amount of talent will make up for it

this asshole >>34384878
is very, very correct
>>
Digits repeat and she replies tonight
>>
File: 1484016671375.png (703KB, 749x729px) Image search: [Google]
1484016671375.png
703KB, 749x729px
>>34380958
I've been playing guitar for over ten years. Absolutely no pussy. Your answer is no.
>>
File: bass.jpg (48KB, 484x329px) Image search: [Google]
bass.jpg
48KB, 484x329px
in my experience, bass guitar has gotten me more girls than guitar just because not a lot of people play it but to a non-musician bass is respected just as much as guitar. especially if you have a 5-string
>>
>>34381560
I don't know man. Mark Hoppus wrote "Adam's Song" because he was upset he couldn't get a girlfriend while Tom and Travis had girlfriends. Blink was touring like crazy in the 90s and it took Mark until 1999-2000 ish (whenever they filmed the video for All the Small Things) to get a gf. They were a band for 7 years before he found his girl
>>
>>34381589
Can't go wrong with a Squier brand guitar. They're like $200 new (can get them used for as low as $50 but usually between $80 and $120) and they're good guitars (they stay in tune and don't sound like utter shit) so you won't get frustrated and discouraged from playing by the thing being a piece of shit. There are cheaper guitars out there, but I've never played any of them and cannot vouch for their reliability
>>
>>34386254

Never knew that. That's weird. What's wrong with mark? He's a tall average looking white guy.
>>
Anyone got any pointers on writing music when you're a stunted incel? I know music theory inside and out and I'm good at putting together chord progressions etc. But I have trouble understanding how to write lyrics because I don't relate to 99% of my fellow humans.

For example I don't get how a guy with a wonky eye and balding like Ed sheeran writes all these romantic normie songs. Do you think he's had a normie life despite his looks? Or is it all fiction?

I feel like a fraud.
>>
>>34385722

How tall are you? What race? I'm not trying to identify you I'm just curious about your experience. It's been one of my greatest dreams to be able to play shows partly for the hopes it might get me girls. I'm a short ugly ethnic. Probably that's a pipe dream.
>>
>>34386389
write about stuff around you, from your perspective. what you see, what you wanna do.
songs like "waiting for my man" by the velvets and "1969" or "no fun" by the stooges are really just everyday things. from there it might be easier to pick a direction later on. just saying that rooting your lyrics in reality makes them a bit more solid to begin with.
>>
>>34386341
I don't know maybe he was picky or just had awful luck. I know it's gotta be hard to find a girlfriend while touring as much as they did, but Tom and Travis had them (I'm not sure if Scott did while he was in the band) so it had to have gotten to him that his band mates still found time for love while touring and he couldn't. But he met his current wife on the set of the All the Small Things music video and they're still married to this day, so it all worked out for him in the end.
>>
File: ko567445609.jpg (163KB, 867x870px) Image search: [Google]
ko567445609.jpg
163KB, 867x870px
>>34386436
I would hope you would take my plight as anecdotal, but 6'1" and fat as shit cracker

you may have a totally different experience. Playing live is fun, but it gets old. From my experience, short means nothing, and brown dudes do very well, at least in the US (I can hear the autistic screeching coming, but it's true, I gigged and grew up in a 65% black area, they all get girls, hot ones, white ones, deal with it)

most of my band mates have been well under 6 feet, most musicians are pretty short desu
>>
>>34386389
Some musicians write them as they're writing the song, others write them 5 minutes before going into the studio to record the vocals. Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters did that on a lot of their early stuff. I think Kurt Cobain of Nirvana did that from time to time as well. I guess some guys work better when they're rushing to get it done. Whenever I try to sit down and write lyrics to guitar parts I write, I can't do it either. So I'm either gonna have to take some social skills and emotions classes to learn how to get words and emotions out or follow in the footsteps of Dave Grohl if I ever get to record (even just demos) my music
>>
>>34386470

Thanks. I'll try.

>>34386504

I don't know if that would be my goal. If I was some guy playing arena concerts I'd be banging different teenage groupies every week. I'm sure he could have been.
>>
>>34386580

Why didn't you lose weight? Sounds like it would have solved your problems. Avoid carbs. Lots of veggies. Exercise. Etc.
>>
>>34386583
worry first about the vocal melody, just hum some nonsense at first, then fit words in later

lyrics are more about sounding proper than any real meaning, people read way too far into them

>>34386634
because it never affected my performance and that was all I cared about. I was a robot even then, I hated the parties and the meetings, was kinda a dick, and just wanted to play, go home and watch GITS:SAC
>>
>>34386692
I'll have to try it that way. Do you find it easier to get the words after the sound is there, or get the sound to match the words?
>>
>>34380958
No but buying a 550$ notepad will.
>>
>>34381492
>>34385348
>tfw rap
>play guitar
>sing
>still no gf
>>
>>34380958
join a band and maybe if you're not completely disgusting you'll be able to pull some /mu/ whore
>>
>>34386583
>>34386692
i just write lyrics to fill out the melody

half of the time i'll just mumble some shit over the music

my life is too devoid of meaning to write meaningful lyrics
>>
>>34386742
>not going full Ad-Rock and playing guitar and rapping at the same time
>>
>>34380958
Why not just play the bass?
Is more fun, you aren't a fucking nigger and looks don't really matter.
Can't speak for attractiveness though, I'm a fag and as we all know fags are degenerates that will fuck anything that has a dick.
But if you still insist on learning the guitar, go for an acoustic one instead of an electric one.
>>
>>34386725
either way it can be a struggle, but I always had trouble shoe-horning in pre-written lyrics

sometimes I'll pick out a few notes in the chord I'm playing and sing along to the notes
>>
>>34386811
i cant sing & play guitar at the same time

i just play guitar for fun & am trying to rap/sing for a career
>>
>>34386824
>you aren't a fucking nigger

i feel like i'd be better at music if i was though

i want to play the drums because it's like 0 frontal lobal effort and all primal thrill

when you play guitar you got all these melodies and shit like fuck that i'm not a nerd
>>
File: 20170123_203821.png (500KB, 719x707px) Image search: [Google]
20170123_203821.png
500KB, 719x707px
Playing guitar to be attractive or for other people is for fags

I have over a thousand dollars of gear and most of the time the only one that hears it is me
>>
File: image.png (46KB, 500x442px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
46KB, 500x442px
>>34381234
> tfw you're a girl who likes metal
With that said, OP listen to anon. Most people want cutesy chord progressions they can song to. If you hang out with hipsters, make a Wonderwall or Free Bird joke and they'll think you're terrifically meta.
>>
File: wot.png (388KB, 331x480px) Image search: [Google]
wot.png
388KB, 331x480px
>>34387013
>i want to play the drums because it's like 0 frontal lobal effort and all primal thrill

hahaha, oh god, you're killing me kiddo

look up Moeller Method, polyrhythms, Gladstone rebound, fuck, just look at a rudiments chart
>>
>>34387013
yeah, but when you are chatting with someone who is interested in music and they ask you : "Anon, do you play any instruments?" and you just reply "Yeah, I play a guitar." There is much higher chance of them going "ech" because everyone plays guitar and it's hard to distinguish the posers from people who actually play guitar. You see the same problem with gamer girls.
>>
>>34380958
No. it just gives you something to do other than watch anime or jack off. I usually just play nice sounding chord progressions.
>>
>>34387149
yeah that's kind of retarded, because not everyone on the guitar has the same musical output and there's variation between guitar players

the only reason i play guitar is because i had a decent guitar laying around my house due to a relative leaving it behind so I started playing it
>>
>>34387142

Yeah but I'm a drummer and 90% of drumming is just wailing along to the best with a simple left right left right left right left right 16th note drum fill along the way.

I play guitar also but at the end of the day drums are what I come home to play because they are more natural and relaxing.

Humans have been playing drums for millenia.
>>
>>34386989
Angelo??
>>
>>34387281
for personal enjoyment, sure

but when your time is someone else's money, you gotta get it right and that involves a hell of a lot of mental fortitude, also multiple bounce rolls will really free up your energy, but it's a motherfucker to get each hit even-ish
>>
>>34387333
no, this is ty dolla sign
>>
File: learning guitar to get laid.jpg (56KB, 1015x520px) Image search: [Google]
learning guitar to get laid.jpg
56KB, 1015x520px
Sure bro. Here's some guides
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QCs3PnQBc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Frja3_q3E
>>
Playing guitar to get laid is a viable strategy if you play shitty pretentious indie music, that will attract the attention of shitty pretentious indie girls (which I don't mind).
It can certainly be an asset, but it isn't a pussy magnet per se. It's up to you whether you want to play for yourself or to get laid.
>>
https://clyp.it/o5vxzlbd

r8 my improvisation

please dont bully, ive only been playing seriously for a year or two with many breaks in between
>>
>>34381434

>more successful
fair enough
>overall better musician
Muhamad Suicmez (the man behind Necrophagist) wrote every track for the first album when he was in his middle teens on sheet music and recorded it using a drum machine for drums.
I seriously hope you were b8ing.
>>
>>34387765
theres feeling there. try some chromatic stuff and see if you can get a few positions together rather than single notes all the time. variety keeps everything more interesting because it structures your piece a bit so it won't seem like it's just dragging on and on. for instance, the way you're moving downwards at 0:25 has room for both these things i mentioned.
>>
Depends.

NO if you go solo, it'll only impress a girl further if you already girlfriended her, and shes in your breedroom, you play her a tune. But you have to get her first, and saying "i play guitar" isn't going to make a gf.

YES if you join a normie band, go to the bar like a normie, and have sex like a normie, but you have to keep up that lifestyle
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.