[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

have you ever tried to start a new hobby, but got sick of it

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_0313.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0313.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
have you ever tried to start a new hobby, but got sick of it sooner that you would have liked?

>ohh that looks awesome<

>holy fuck, that sounds amazing<

spend a shitload of time and energy only to come to-

>fuck this, I'm done with it.<
>>
>>34326518
yeah had like 3 gym memberships i never really used, longest i lasted was like 3 or 4 month of 2-3 times a week, it just isn't for me and i'll always stay a skeleton, what about you?
>>
>>34326518
If you're sick of it I'll gladly take what looks to be about 3 grand worth of modular off your hands
>>
File: 1483780733569.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1483780733569.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I've started making weird music and i'm having a lot of fun so far. I might get tired of it but I hope not
>>
File: 1337553351638.jpg (39KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1337553351638.jpg
39KB, 500x374px
>>34326612
fugg dis guy

>>34326518

how much you want for that?
>>
Do any robots know of a somewhat productive hobby I could do while listening to baseball games on the radio? I was thinking of getting an ammo press and doing reloads while I listen to Cubs games but I don't go shooting very often as it is.
>>
>>34326570
pic related. since I have zero friends and no gf to spend $$ on, I thought it be cool to start DIY'ing synthesizers.

being someone with an addictive personality, i spent thousands of my savings into a shit machine that doesn't even work right. I had no prior electronics experience and now i fucked my self again financially.

The worst part is i still have hours worth of projects more still being delivered after exhausting myself.
>>
I keep trying to pick up reading, but it feels like such a goddamn chore. Like I love going to book stores and there are always tons of books there that I would like to read, but when I get down to actually reading I'm always restless and counting down the pages until the end of the chapter.
>>
File: I died.png (707KB, 604x600px) Image search: [Google]
I died.png
707KB, 604x600px
freestyle bmx, spent about 1500 in bike parts and upgrades. got concussed, snapped my ankle and broke bike parts but kept riding. within a year stopped riding, havent gone to the park in over two yrs. 1000 dollar plus bike is just sitting in my room collecting dust, hurts every time i look at it but cant sell it cause buyers remorse

(pic related)
>>
>>34326518
Gimme dat Buchla OP!
>>
I spent a lot of money on camera equipment before I realized that I had nothing to do with the photos after having taken them.
>>
>>34326790It's just a clone by sputnik (which from what I've read is sort of spotty in how well it works
It's not even a buchla
>>
>>34326790
sputnik modular keyboard. i got it cuz i thought i'd be buchla tier.

>mfw not enough filters and modulation modules to get the sound i want.<

>mfw i plug the final module i built and it kills 4 other modules in the row.<

>mfw it feels like repairs for my mistakes are never ending.<
>>
File: 1_01.jpg (114KB, 1200x810px) Image search: [Google]
1_01.jpg
114KB, 1200x810px
Shoulda just bought one of these OP
>>
>>34326915
Senpai maybe you should slow down and figure what you want to do with modular first, then sell/reevaluate your system directionh
>>
>>34326918
worse, i bought a Mutable Instruments Ambika clone kit. I still have to build that fucker too.
>>
>>34326518
yeah i got into music too but just listen to it and dobt post it anywhere but im bored of it now but id like to try modular synths but im not sure where to start

any reccomendations for sybths and cv sequencers for them? can you hear your patch if you dont have a cv sequencer?
>>
>>34326959
i know, i know. i just thought i would be such a natural with it, being a tonal musician and all.

Thanks for the reassurance desu, I know that should be my perspective, but i just get in such a LALALALA place with this stuff.
>>
Literally any hobby I've ever wanted to get into except pc building, which is fucking expensive
>>
>>34326986
you'd have to leave your oscillators on a single tone and do droning stuffs.
>>
>>34326986
To hear it you need to either sequence it. Play it with some sort of controller Modual like the keyboard or use a midi converter modual.

Favorite cv sequencer around for most people seems to be the beat step pro. Silent way offers a lot of options for using a daw to sequence a modular.

You can also do random generation through other things as any cv can be used for pitch to an oscilator, not that they will all be musically useful
>>
File: smuganimegirl.png (327KB, 504x679px) Image search: [Google]
smuganimegirl.png
327KB, 504x679px
>all that eurorack
>no Native Instruments

Or is that all diy? I want to start an MFOS modular this year but I've never done an electronics project and I don't know how to order the parts. I understand putting the BOM into Mouser or whatever but the rare chips and their alternates and replacements just make no sense to me.
>>
>>34327088
Fuck I meant mutable instruments
>>
File: IMG_0795.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0795.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34326675
this is what it looks like now, id have to get like 3,500 for the whole thing even though some modules need their diodes replaced.
>>
>>34327073
thank you

in your opinion is buying this dumb?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/System500-CS

im not sure of how to nuy individual modules and put them in a eurorack so thought this could be nice
>>
>>34327088
yup all DIY, sans the intellijel, clx, row powers, MI ears and pico vca.
>>
>>34326986
if you post your music i'll post mine
>>
>>34326688
Listening to cubs games has been lacking since Ron died
>>
File: 1483977025948.png (392KB, 253x555px) Image search: [Google]
1483977025948.png
392KB, 253x555px
>>34326518
I used to make electronic music, but I stopped getting inspired to make tracks when my taste in music changed. I'm skilled using a DAW, but the music I'm into now isn't made like that.

I'd like to make myself useful by making songs people can use for YouTube videos and such, but the music making process feels way too draining when you're not into the stuff you're creating.

Maybe I'm just a lazy piece of shit with no work ethic, but I try to justify that by saying I don't actually "want" to do it anyways.

Either way, I'm not going to be useful to anybody as far as music goes (including myself), if I don't make anything. That's why I feel like giving up on music, and find something else I can be useful at.
>>
>>34327112
The worst offense is mutable is completely open source and kits for all their stuff is everywhere. Though I'd imagine they are on the complicated side to build and op is struggling with thwt side of things
>>
>>34327163
never heard a demo of that system, but i have a feeling i would like it better than a make noise or pittsburg modular system.
>>
>>34326518

Yup. Happened with gardening, for example: i took care of several saplings, but i had no real experience in taking care of plants.. then one day, after they were kinda big, they all started to grow some sort of fungus on their leaves... i've tried to remove em through chemical methods, but that just made the leaves die, and the rest of the plant died soon after. I gave up since then.

Also, even though i do like to draw, i almost NEVER finish most of my drawings.. i don't even know why, but i lose interest soon after.
>>
>>34327175
sad thing is i've never recorded anything. its all been building testing, calibrating, and rabbit-hole noodling up to this point.
>>
>>34327163
Go to muffwiggler and watch the basic synthesis and modular videos they have posted. Don't buy 2000 worth of shit you have no idea how to use. I would also not recommend roland modular
>>
>>34327207
i have a clouds pcb and panel and i'm horrified of an smd build.
>>
>>34327257
As a followup consider something like the moog mother 32, stand alone voice and sequencer that is fully eurorack compatible and can be moved out of its case later. Retails for like 600 new
>>
You'd have to be insane to be into synth hardware like that. Like buying a tennis racket where the strings sometimes disappear or come loose.
>>
File: Fun.jpg (426KB, 988x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Fun.jpg
426KB, 988x1400px
>>34327329
>>34327163

Pittsburgh Modular Blackbox has 2 oscillators at around the same price. I'd start there if I were getting into eurorack
>>
>>34327409
>it's like buying a tennis racket when you can play virtua tennis on the Xbox
>>
>>34327459
So you make a sound on one of those synth boxes with patches. Say you go back to it a few hours later, is the sound the same?
>>
>>34327175
please post your music heres mine

please tell me if they are shit, i just listn to them by myself and dont post them anywhere besides now

https://clyp.it/qaqquixd
https://clyp.it/mjuylpqf
https://clyp.it/4pa1ykur
>>
>>34327424
That's a valid suggestion too. I think I'd prefer the sequencer to the second osc just starting out but I'm also a sucker for the moog sound
>>
>>34327495
If you don't move the cords or dials yeah. Unless you're running a generative sequence or something
>>
>>34326518
i do this a lot. im not sure if there is a word for this kind of person, but i literally find a new hobby, dive into it 110% and devote all my energy into it to the point of being obsessed with it, then a few weeks later get sick of it and quit. then try to find a new hobby, and repeat same cycle.
>>
>>34327524
I'll stick with u-he zebra and the 31000 presets I dloaded yesterday for free.
>>
>>34326518
My regrets are always about picking up hobbies, getting really good at them, then hammering them into the ground until i can't even look at them anymore and i feel bad for being good at something that I don't enjoy and nobody gives a shit about.

>Really, really good at yoyo-ing
>Excellent purebred chicken raising and hatching
>Play mandolin like a beast
>Literally hundreds of electronic music projects, completed an album but have no friends to share it with/who would care to listen

None of them will help me to get a grilfriend. All of them would probably be some sort of red flag
>>
>>34327564
That's cool man, different people like different stuff
>>
>>34327504
i like it. only listened to the first song so far, but if you did some detune, phasing and paning, it would be some fire vapor-ish beats.
>>
>>34327586
They probably would help but your arrogance is incredibly off putting just from one post alone
>>
Are using VST presets bad? i like to mess with them some to make them sound a little better but making patches from scartch all the time gets more annoying than productive or me
>>
>>34326518
anybody here produce music as a hobby?

logic pro x master race btw
>>
>>34327557
yup. thats how i feel to. i call it impulsive>obsessive>exhausted/boredom cycle.
>>
>>34327611
thanks

i know its super repetitive (the first one) but its just something i made the other day, if you hear the other two and have any critique please tell me even if you hate it, thank you. ive got some that arent repetitve much but theyre only around 2.5 minutes

got any you want to show :)
>>
>>34327504
I like

The drums aren't to my taste... it seems like there's a better fit (maybe more analog-y drums, or more consistent, less hectic placement), but everything else is damn tasty
>>
>>34326518
I spend a LOT of time autistically learning about stuff that will help me in every day life. You know, construction, computers, gardening, etc.

>now I'm bothered by Normies all day everyday to fix something

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS IS HELL DON'T FALL FOR THE HOBBY MEME JUST STAY ON THE INTERNET
>>
>>34327586
>none of them would help me get a gf<

i thought this way too and realized they can only do so much to help in that area. i now know that i can only progress by my own initiative.
>>
>>34327676
thanks for listening and telling me what you think, i get what you mean about the drums and will try that out
>>
>>34327622
No problem with presets dude. Different strokes for different folx.

People complain about this or that online but if what you are doing lets you actually make music than you are doing better than 90% of the people online.
>>
>>34327617
Didn't mean to come off as arrogant.

I would never say that I was good at them in real life.I would be too ashamed. I simply know that I am good at them, the point being that I hate myself for being good at them. They're stupid, worthless talents and I always feel like its just a bunch of time wasted.
>>
>>34327721
lol thanks

i like when i get nice responses online
>>
>>34327586
>Play mandolin like a beast
>Literally hundreds of electronic music projects, completed an album but have no friends to share it with/who would care to listen

That sounds awesome. I'm interested, Anon.
I feel in love with some random anon's music that was posted on /mu/ -- so maybe people could randomly stumble upon your music and feel happy too?

In my case I bought Dorico and was all pumped and ready to compose some shit but I opened it once and never opened it again.
>>
>>34327504
I like it, especially the third track. I like the way the hi hats rattle, and the melodies have more variation compared to the other two songs.

You make good sounding synth patches too, so it seems like you know your stuff.
>>
>>34327721
This, man.

Seriously... All the major recording artists use presets. I even hear some I recognize on top 40 shit. I usually just stay away from them because I use Massive and all the presets are shit.
>>
>>34327721
>People complain about this or that online but if what you are doing lets you actually make music than you are doing better than 90% of the people online.<

this.
>>
>>34326844
Scrapbooking?
>>
>>34327777
thank you and i really appreciate your reply
>>
>>34326844
Make an Instagram, put all your shit on it, then bring it up as a conversation piece.

>"so anon, what do you like to do?"
>"oh, photography is a hobby of mine... I could show you some if you'd like..."
>"Wow anon, I'm wetter than an otter's pocket"

Most people don't know shit about photography, and if you show them even slightly above average photography they will think you are a god.
>>
>>34326518
not yet
bought a violin to help me to stay away from vidya and shitposting but my left arm get tired easily
so i get back at shitposting ;_;
>>
>>34327564
>u-he zebra and the 31000 presets
care to post the dl link buddy ?
>>
tfw you are a master of your craft mechanically but have lost the creative inspiration to do anything with it
>>
File: Mike&Richcover.jpg (648KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
Mike&Richcover.jpg
648KB, 620x620px
It's a bucket list item to put a modular synth in where a car stereo should be and just piss people off by "changing the song" by twidling some knobs and moving a cord

but I've never picked up a hobby, just dreamed
>>
>>34328752
fill me in on who "mike" is pls?
>>
>>34329089
mike paradinas

owner of planet mu that record company
>>
>>34329089
Brace yourself, Jason.
>>
I'm a poor neet with prospects so I'll probably never be able to do various things I'd like to do. Your pic is definitely related
>>
>>34329152
thx. now i have some listening to do.
>>
Most hobbies I get bored of music production in fl is the one I have been able to always come back to and stay interested in, even if I get bored of it temporarily. The one thing that sucks about it is with weed I can sit there for hours tweaking shit and enjoying it and bei interested. Without weed I get bored and can't even last an hour of I force myself, and am not nearly engaged.

Almost all my fav songs of mine I've made stoned and spent like 50-100 hours on sometimes more
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.