[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there no famous women philosophers? In fact, why have

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: thinking.png (850KB, 960x656px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
850KB, 960x656px
Why are there no famous women philosophers? In fact, why have I seen only one female who was somewhat interested in philosophy?

Ayn Rand isn't a philosopher and even if she was it would just prove women are not capable of good philosophy
>>
Putting aside the loaded question, philosophy is sort of lame.
>>
>>34306318

Why do people ask questions they already know answers to???
>>
Because all famous philosophers were severely autistic.
>>
>>34306318
Because in ancient times only men were allowed to think out loud and be taken serious. Nowadays women might have the chance but then again nobody takes philosphers serious so they are shrugged off again

>checkmate roastys
>>
>>34306345
>loaded question
How? Are you a mad roastie?
>>
File: 1482174096261.png (293KB, 507x482px)
1482174096261.png
293KB, 507x482px
Simone Weil ? Anne Conway ? Rosa Luxemburg ?

drop the intellectual subjects you know nothing about, you literal child
>>
>>34306474
THISSSSS. This so much. Originally.
>>
>>34306318
I suppose one way of interpreting the lack of women philosophers in history is to look back and see that, from ancient times up until very recently, education and higher level centers of thinking were pretty much all centered around men. Plus, it's only natural if history's greatest and most famous philosophers were always men, women in philosophy would probably seem strange and looked down upon in our current age.

Now, who the fuck knows if women are actually capable of higher grade philosophical thinking. Myself being a neckbeard tier philosopher, I've no idea who the fuck ayn rand is nor could i tell you one name of a woman philosopher without google.
>>
File: 1451281962067.jpg (107KB, 754x762px) Image search: [Google]
1451281962067.jpg
107KB, 754x762px
>>34306380
>That movie scene where the adventurous woman gives some simple, female intuition to the scholarly man who is consumed by his own thoughts
>>
>>34306399
>>34306536
The thing is, now that they have the chance they don't seem interested at all. My question in the op was genuine. It's hard for me to believe genders have so great differences.
>>
Dorothy Day
Emma Goldstein
Rosa Luxembourg
>>
>>34306318
Wolfenstonecraft. Read about her.
>>
>>34306474
>famous women philosophers
>famous
none of these are accepted as core western philosophers. Op isn't claiming there aren't any women p., just that the ones you've mentioned are lesser known.
>>
>>34306592

have you never been to college? can't throw a rock in a philosophy classroom without hitting three women.
>>
>>34306474
Hannah Arendt
Iris Murdoch
Philippa Foot
>>
File: 345345345.jpg (25KB, 335x236px) Image search: [Google]
345345345.jpg
25KB, 335x236px
ITT: butt blasted roasties listing off women philosophers totally ignoring the point of op's post
>>
>>34306318
well there's simone de beauvoir if you can count conties.

But aside from that it might have a bit to do with the fact that almost all famous philosophers were prominent before women had even had voting rights. There are a fair amount among newer philoshophers but nobody knows about newer philoshophers in part becuase there are so many more going in so many different directions.
>>
>>34306629
that's just the liberal education agenda rearing it's tard head into shit it doesn't belong in. men have dominated philosophy and higher level thinking for all of human history. college courses are forced to represent repressed minorities even though they have scarce contributions.
>>
>>34306318
The argumentative nature of philosophy is probably off-putting to most women in general.
>>
File: stirner4.jpg (121KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
stirner4.jpg
121KB, 600x600px
>>34306318
>mfw Ayn Rand fags
original stirnerpost
>>
How about Hannah Arendt?
>>
>>34306716

You sound like someone who has either never been to college or went to some shit tier school and base your opinions around YouTube videos that complain about campus politics.

>inb4 I have a fake post grad degree in philosophy from meme ivy university
>>
umm there's simone de beauvoir for one even though she didn't consider herself to be a philosopher
>>
>>34306628
ah yes, the lesser-known philosophers such as Simone Weil which barely got "between 1995 and 2012 over 2,500 new scholarly works published about her " (wiki)

high schoolers please go
>>
>>34306784

okay yes thank you. This sums up all of the eye-rolling I do when people are raging about censorship and sjws and safespaces where in my experience, literally the only "Trigger warning" that was issued in any of my classes was done so ironically by my old man teacher and i think it was akin to "newsflash people the earth is much older than 6000 yrs lol"
>>
>>34306592
There are a lot of contemporary philosophers who are women

http://philosophy.fas.harvard.edu/people/people-terms/department-faculty

Probably about 1/4 women
>>
>>34306759

MtF for sure, no question
>>
>>34306850

yeah a lot of the quintessential philosophers that people know about are from a time in the west where women literally could not attend university or attain higher education so u don't really get a chance to become a "philosopher" (phd kek) if u was a woman then and then women were allowed to go to school and some hot tamales were rolling out some good shit all of a sudden, go figure
>>
>>34306840

>The coroner's report said that "the deceased did kill and slay herself by refusing to eat whilst the balance of her mind was disturbed"
>literally a mentally ill roastie
>>
>>34306380
Schopenhauer was a chad
>>
>>34306716

dude, the post was that women don't seem interested philosophy, and that's just plain wrong. they take the electives freely, so they're clearly interested.
>>
here's a couple good pieces by women
http://www.theabsolute.net/minefield/humevas.html
http://philosophyfaculty.ucsd.edu/faculty/rarneson/Courses/susanwolfessay1982.pdf
>>
>there are people who believe the "ayn rand is shitty" normie meme

not saying she's perfect or even good but the basic idea of "collectivism is cancer" is rock solid and is a part of any worthwhile philosophy
>>
File: 547634573457.jpg (27KB, 399x385px) Image search: [Google]
547634573457.jpg
27KB, 399x385px
>>34306840
>angry roastie getting buttmad because her nonstem philosomeme degree has her working at mcdonalds for shekelstein
>>
>>34306474
Hannah Arendt... Simone de Beauvoir...
>>
>>34306921

Schopenhauer was the most robot philosopher to ever robot. His entire philosophy on women was built on one shitty experience with a oneitis.
>>
>>34306973

Switching arguments so soon?
>>
>>34306952
Anyone can make a claim like that. It's like someone calling himself a physicist for saying an object will fall if you drop it. It takes a real physicist to explain why just as it takes a real philosopher to explain why collectivism is bad (which Rand fails to do).
>>
Women are just intellectually inferior to men. Plain and simple. Fembots and roasted-toasties will deny it but when you have tits, you have no reason to think about life.
>>
I am a philosophy postgrad.

In my experience it's that women are lacking some machinery for very high level abstractions.

My gut instinct is that it's something to do with "structural" abstractions, women don't like "picturing systems" in the same way as men.

I know some female philosophy postgrads but they mostly work on ethics, whether it's Aristotle, Spinoza, Kant, or poststructural or psychoanalytical. It's always somehow practical like that. They just don't seem to enjoy working out an elaborate, systematic architectonic, or trying to harmonize some metaphysical framework. They also don't seem to enjoy really "cracking" a philosopher like Hegel, to the point that they get his whole system and all the disparate parts click into place. They can attack specific problems pretty well though, and they can interact well with parts of some philosopher's thought. They can even do formal logic reasonably well on the analytic side of things.

It should be noted too that plenty of men are like this, problem-based thinkers or thinkers who don't care about intuiting the entire system of the philosophers they study. But when it comes to really titanic intellects who can crystallize an entire worldview, as a structural thing, I haven't found any women yet. Among men they're so common that you can find tons of mediocrities who do it, even. In fact, totalizing worldviews seem to be a source of reductivism and stupidity in thinkers whose worldview is lazy or shitty. Seems to be an innate tendency of men or something. But in the greatest minds, it's almost insane how powerful and elaborate it can get.
>>
>>34307057
Still doesn't change the fact that hating ayn rand is a normie meme brought on by even worse bernie sanders-esque philosophies.
>>
>>34307024
You can cite all the wiki data regarding one woman philosopher's relevance in academia all you want but when we're talking about truly influential philosphers, only the men appear as household names.
>>
>>34307183
For fucks sake can you fucking make an argument without claiming something is normie? Fucking toddler.
>>
>>34306318
>Ayn Rand isn't a philosopher and even if she was it would just prove women are not capable of good philosophy

>not an argument
>>
>>34306318
Because women don't examine their own taints for hours on end? Name one aspect of any philosophy (not generally speaking like the "philosophy of" a certain discipline) that is useful in any way.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.