[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robot Historyfag thread: Battle of Kleidon Edition

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

File: BattleofKleidon.jpg (974KB, 1180x533px) Image search: [Google]
BattleofKleidon.jpg
974KB, 1180x533px
This is a thread for all my fellow historyfag robots out there. Discuss your favorite leaders, countries and conflicts.

Battle of Kleidon:

The battle of Kleidon was fought between the Byzantine and Bulgarian empires in the year 1014. The end result was a crushing defeat for the Bulgarian army, due to a successful attack from the rear by the byzantine general Xiphias.

This battle is notable for Byzantine Emperor "The Bulgar Slayer" Basil II choice to have nearly all 15,000 of the captured Bulgarian soldiers blinded rather than executing them. The men were divided into groups of 100, with 99 of them blinded with one man left with his sight to guide the others home.

This crippled the Bulgarian economy and military capacity much more effectively than if the men had been killed. By forcing them their young men to take care of their blind parents rather than growing up to form another army and seek revenge.

Allegedly the Bulgarian Emperor Samuel survived the battle but died of a heart attack 2 months later, upon seeing his blinded and maimed army returning.

His two sons were unable to mount a successful resistance against the byzantine empire, and the war ended in 1018 with bulgaria becoming a province of the byzantine empire.
>>
testing

original test
>>
>>34292676
hmmmmmmmmm

are there truly no history loving robots here?

I will bump this thread until I get some discussion going on
>>
File: brainlet.png (127KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
brainlet.png
127KB, 601x508px
>>34292885
I'm a /his/ crossposter, but you didn't invite us into any discussion. What do you want people to say?
>>
>>34292965
I don't know, I'm new to this whole making threads for discussion thing. What's your favorite/era/ruler/battle

Or just post a random battle, leader, ect that you think is interesting.
>>
bumping with very original content

Who here has any knowledge in dutch history?
>>
File: IHASANAXEMUSLIMSCUM.jpg (10KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
IHASANAXEMUSLIMSCUM.jpg
10KB, 225x224px
>>34292676
The Battle of Tours was definitely something that should be counted in all history books in the Occidental World. Criminally underrated everywhere though.

The Franks literally saved Europe from Muslim pressuring from Spain, allowing the Muslim culture never to set one foot into Frankish soil, and it is considered by some historian to be the most pivotal battle for the Occidental Civilization.

Charles Martel also wielded a fucking battle axe and won against cavalry equipped with stirrup using the terrain and limited pikes.

This is probably the most interesting battle of the Middle Ages.
>>
File: 1411871326731s.jpg (8KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
1411871326731s.jpg
8KB, 250x236px
>>34294278
>I meant to say Early Middle Ages
>>
>>34294278
Interesting, thanks for posting this anon. So if the franks hadn't stopped the Islamic invasion of Spain, would the ottomans have likely succeeded in their invasion of europe later on?
>>
>>34292885

tell me why i should care about history in 10 seconds

just a bunch of boring events and dates

>b-but it's like game of thrones except real!

no, it's a lot more boring
>>
>>34294748
If you're the kind of person who needs to ask that kind of question there's no use in answering it because you're not the kind of person who would enjoy learning about history

go back to your anime and vidya
>>
>>34294723
They would have had to deal with Umayyad Khalifs (Don't know if I pronounced it right) and their offsprings States, instead of the Byzantines and the Crusaders.

Basically the raids they did in the frankish kingdom were escalating, and Charles Martel said : "Fuck this, let's teach these motherfuckers a lesson. Who's with me?"

He beat them to a bloody pulp at Tours, and the Umayyad got a grim reminders of what kind of people lived up North (I think the leader of the long-term raid expedition was the cousin of the Khalif or something, and he died during that battle as he tried to rally his troops, can't remember though).

Afterward the Muslims were so scared they never, ever sent another expedition up North, paving the way for the rise of the Kingdom of the Asturies or Asturica in Spain, which would become Castille, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>34294821
Very good, very good. What was the leading reason for the frankish victory? Did they have better trained/equipped soldiers, larger numbers or was it the result of superior tactical maneuvering?
>>
File: BxIbMVm.jpg (852KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BxIbMVm.jpg
852KB, 1920x1080px
>>34294821
I'm pretty sure you're wrong or at the very least grossly exaggerating. I can't remember where I've read it but I'm under the impression that the Moors' expansion into Europe had already slowed or halted when they got their asses kicked at Tours, and that the battle itself had little to no actual consequences besides bolstering the Franks' and Christians' morale. Basically that Islam wouldn't have spread further north even if Tours didn't happen.

Manzikert and the siege of Constaninople in the 8th century, now those are some actually influential events between muslims and christians.
>>
>>34295078
Care to elaborate on Manzikert and Constantinople?
>>
>>34295078
t.revisionist cuck
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_I_of_Mexico

Maximilian I always makes me sad as fuck. One of the few rulers who actually seemed like he cared.

>He spoke only in Spanish and gave his executioners a portion of gold not to shoot him in the head so that his mother could see his face.
>His last words were, "I forgive everyone, and I ask everyone to forgive me. May my blood which is about to be shed, be for the good of the country. Viva Mexico, viva la independencia!".

Seems like the world is usually darkest to the people with the brightest hearts
>>
>>34295268
feelsbadman

Why was he executed?
>>
File: arab1453927331478.jpg (228KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
arab1453927331478.jpg
228KB, 707x1000px
>>34295191
oh wow, I'm sorry I forgot for a moment that all Muslims have been the bad guys forever, no exceptions. Anyone who kills a lot of saracens is automatically a hero, no?

there might revisionists here but I think I'm not one of them.

>>34295190
I think those two really had the possibility of changing history had things gone differently. But everything I know comes mainly from the wikipedia anyway, so I'm not gonna elaborate more. You can read for yourself.

History is really fascinating though, I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes an interest.
>>
>>34295404
Eh the entire point of this thread is hear other anon's opinions on history but if you insist I'll read the wikipedia instead
>>
>>34295392
Basically Mexicans were sick of European influence. He was more or less forced by his family to become emperor. He went over, tried to end poverty and introduce social reforms for Mexico to lessen the divide between rich and poor.

Mexican republic wanted to overthrow the empire, and ended up doing so with help from the Mexican elite and the US (who also wanted to weaken European influence in Mexico). When he lost, the leader of the republic pretty much wanted to make an example of him.

>tfw he just wanted to explore and study the world
>>
>>34295541
>His wife, Charlotte of Belgium (Carlota), had left for Europe earlier to try to build support for her husband's regime; after his execution, however, she suffered an emotional collapse and was declared insane.

Sounds like his wife really loved him too.

I bet Mexico would have been better off today if the republic hadn't succeeded.
>>
>>34295541
Why do the states have to ruin literally everything? Worst country to ever exist
>>
>>34295647
Definitely a sad case of "what if?".

>>34295682
I agree. Nothing but a history of using and throwing away people for personal gain.
>>
>>34295831
They've also got little to no actual interesting history that isn't bullshit propaganda and they tend to only waltz in and out of world affairs as they please and fuck with other country's conflicts whenever it benefits them

It's kinda sad how long it took them to get involved in WW1 and 2
>>
File: 057.jpg (368KB, 600x2560px) Image search: [Google]
057.jpg
368KB, 600x2560px
>>34296135
I know, man. Grew up in a working class white family in the Midwest US. Everyone around me was a flag draped patriot dripping with freedom. After reading perspectives from other countries , I understood early on that the U.S. is unbelievably cocky and deceitful.
>>
File: Kettle War.jpg (80KB, 318x657px) Image search: [Google]
Kettle War.jpg
80KB, 318x657px
>>34292676
This is kinda cool OP. I'm not all that knowledgeable about history, but there are some things I invested time into, like >pic related.
>>
File: 1466346353506.png (358KB, 1886x718px) Image search: [Google]
1466346353506.png
358KB, 1886x718px
Every person is a story.
>>
>>34298125
This is why I'd never be able to fight in a war. Apart from an imminent fear of death I'd be stuck thinking of every single choice everyone I killed made that got them to the point where they died, the people they knew, their families, their friends and how their death affects that world
>>
>>34297899
hmmmmmm

anon what am I looking at here
>>
>>34298658
If you don't believe me....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettle_War
>>
>>34299095
Were the hapsburgs by any chance french? Because surrending after a single shot sounds awfully french to me
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.