[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How old were you when you realized religion is a good thing?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 18

How old were you when you realized religion is a good thing?

For me when I was 19, after a youth of edgy athiesm
>>
still don't think it's a good thing
i just don't give a fuck if someone is religious anymore
>>
>>34215664
When a guy threatened to kill me I lied and told a guy I was a devoted Christian. Idk I guess it made him feel bad because he angrily left
>>
The Jews invented Christianity to make European society weaker, read Ben Klassen's Rahowa: This Planet Is All Ours
>>
>>34215664
went the other way around for me.
was christian for the first 24 years of my life, really believed it, went to church 2 times a week and prayed 3 times a day...then i started to actually read into the bible and it all fell apart pretty fast.
>>
File: 1465439462484.jpg (116KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1465439462484.jpg
116KB, 400x800px
>>34215664

I think it's a good thing in the 'opiate of the masses' sort of way. I am in no way capable of being spiritual myself.
>>
I'm not retarded, hence never.
>>
>using edgy
wow stop posting any time now.
>>
>>34215664
its bullshit to keep you from questioning why rich elite families exist
>>
>>34215908
This.
There's nothing wrong with the idea of an all-loving God, or a lot of the things that the church preaches. I just don't believe in it is all, thats not edgy.
>>
Having something to belong to and believe in is a big help for a lot of people, even if religion has caused a lot of damage over the years too.

I wish I could be religious, I think I'd be a better and happier person if I were, but it's just not in my nature. I'm too skeptical and analytical for it and I can't bring myself to have faith in even minor worldly things without solid evidence, much less things that would affect my entire worldview.
>>
>>34215664
It's only good for fooling yourself. Do yourself a favor and ditch that shit, it ain't healthy.
>>
>>34215664
Found Jesus myself just a few months ago. It's better for me and it guides me morally, but I seem to still slip into old patterns and treat people the way I did before. I do try to see things from other people's perspectives more often, and make less judgements on other people.
>>
>>34216005
Actually it's scientifically proven to be healthy
>>
Really wish I could be religious, but the lack of evidence / ignoring science doesn't allow me. I like the morals they preech, but it's impossible for me to attend church or have convos with religious people and keep my mouth shut when they say something like, dinosaurs never existed, the world is only thousands of years old, etc.
>>
>Noun: Red Pill
>Something that enables or compels a person to overcome illusion and perceive harsher reality.
Time to take the red pill OP. Telling comforting lies to yourself that you don't really believe isn't healthy.
>>
>>34215989
Fandoms replace religion. Those communities are really similar to religion, but without all that bullshit. I think it's a step in the right direction.

>inb4 "fandoms are cancer" argument - only if you focus on cancer
>>
>be lied to entire childhood
>decide not to believe anymore
>you're being edgy lol
>>
it's a good thing for placating majority of an idiot population, but pretty worthless for any one who doesn't have an Iq lower than 80
>>
>>34215664
Holy moses came down to /r9k/ with a hair up his ass.
>>
>>34216041
Not religion itself. Posiitve thinking, maybe, because of less stress. But that is no exclusive to religion.
>>
>>34216077
Personally I think there's some kind of higher power that, while I'm personally Catholic, is interpreted in some way through all religions. I don't deny scientific discoveries and theories, like evolution. Rather, I believe a universe where these truths exist was all set in motion by that higher power.
>>
>>34216103
It's just religious folks' way of showing hysteria. If they were thinking straight, they would see how monstrous tellig those lies were.
>>
>>34216041
you got a source for that claim my man?
>>
>>34216019
>Found Jesus myself just a few months ago
where is he you could be famous dude
>>
>>34216134
Why not just say "I don't know."? There is no shame in not knowing. It may have been anything. I am curious if science will ever find out something, if it is possible.
>>
>>34215664
Raised Catholic>Turn Atheist/Agnostic>Turn Orthodox/Sedevacantist> Turn Pagan.

I gave Abrahamism a try but when i found out it was the root cause of all modern social ills i decided to drop it.
>>
What's the point of praying if God already has a plan and you're just playing your part
besides, isn't it selfish to think that your needs are more important than the predetermined future an omnipotent being has in store for you?
>>
>>34216175
>Anon is a tombraider.
>>
how do I become spiritual OP?
how do I regain the church in my life?
I can't bring myself to accept it
>>
>>34216215
I don't really know what to tell you, anon. I believe what I believe. I'm not telling you to change your stance.
>>
File: 1470851017503.gif (15KB, 215x326px) Image search: [Google]
1470851017503.gif
15KB, 215x326px
A wizard did it.
>>
>>34215664

When I looked up one day and saw that I was surrounded by degenerates who would try to justify any kind of cruelty and sadism they inflict on their fellow man. We live in the modern Gomorrah. Islam is the answer.
>>
I don't think religion is a good thing in general, but theism is something I've held onto for years and never intend to let go of.
>>
>>34215664
Both my oneitises were taken by devout christian chads and they bragged about it online. Now my life is a wreck. Where were their kindness and mercy back then?
>>
>>34216238
Most of religions are anthropocentric because people who made them up long ago knew shit about space, hence the conceit.
>>
>>34216238

I'm >>34216134 and the way I see it, God is omnipotent in that He can see all possible future outcomes to all possible actions, but the path you go down is determined by you because of free will.
>>
Is there any worse special snowflake than "i'm not religious but spiritual"?
>>
>>34215664
I beg to differ. I go to church on somewhat regular basis. Lots of hypocrisy, lots of arrogant "holier than thou" bullshit, and lots of blatant disregard for biblical laws. For example, the bible clearly saws gluttony is a sin and even recommends killing your children if they get fat, but every church I go to passes out donuts and other sweets like nothing. Religious people are fat, two-faced degenerates. I can bet good money OP is a fat fuck who could never get laid even if he wanted.
>>
>>34216267
I just can't wrap my head around how you can believe those stories if you are intelligent and trust scientific knowledge? I can understand if someone believes in some sort of vague "god" that brought everything into existence, but that's it.
>>
>>34216228
what is it like being a walking talking meme? LMAO
>>
File: 1472688380080.png (639KB, 1055x847px) Image search: [Google]
1472688380080.png
639KB, 1055x847px
>>34216134
>catholic
Hi I'm jamal. I'm here to fuck your wife.
>>
>>34216404
I think the Bible should be taken spiritually, not literally. I mean, the new testament was written ~200 years after it supposedly happened.
>>
>>34216300
They are hypocrites, when things get rough or when it comes to procreation you see how quickly "christians" turn to self-interest while masquerading as god's interest.

Ideally a Christian would be the most self-less they could be but as we have seen through the crusades, their hypocrisy was necessary in order to survive...which devalues the idea of an afterlife.
>>
>>34216474
>be taken spiritually, not literally
It's funny how much mental gymnastics christfags do in order to justify the retarded shit they believe.
>>
File: 5346534563.jpg (90KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
5346534563.jpg
90KB, 600x400px
>>34216474
Even spiritually Christianity is poison.

It holds God above the Family.

This is why men become feminized under god, because no other man can dethrone him so the masculine competition that keeps men healthy and strong begins to stagnate and decline.
>>
>>34216474
What does "spiritually" mean? Believers always say that shit, is it supposed to be like taking lessons from those stories? That's normal with every book.
>>
>>34216555
>is it supposed to be like taking lessons from those stories
Yes. And it is normal with every book, but the Bible is God's word.

>>34216535
God isn't male

>>34216511
How is it mental gymnastics to agree that the things in the Bible didn't happen (or didn't happen the way they are told)?
>>
>>34216606
> the Bible is God's word
Says the Bible. Circular argument.

>God isn't male
That's why it is reffered to as HE in all of the Bible? Maybe it's mistranslation somewhwere down the line, but I am pretty sure it was just ancient Jews being men.
>>
>>34216606
>God isn't male
God is a manifestation of ABSOLUTE order.

The concept of order has been best represented by the male which has been the sex most indifferent to time and flux.

Most religious descriptions in history list God as a male figure, besides the few exceptions.

God is male.
>>
>>34216090
You know, I was thinking about exactly the same thing as I wrote that post.

The conclusion that 2D waifus might actually be my god is terrifying though.
>>
File: IMG_4505.jpg (23KB, 350x420px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4505.jpg
23KB, 350x420px
>>34215664
>tfw highly religious up until I was 16
>lost all faith slowly
>want to believe in God again but can't possible convince myself to believe or take religion seriously

I didn't even have an edgy atheist phase. I just lost all faith. I'm secretly an agnostic/atheist, and never told anyone. I still go to church with my parents occasionally and they think it's all good.
>>
>>34216445
Haha dude I browse /pol/ too
>>
>>34216763
I've been a ponyfucker for 5 years and it really is similar.
>>
File: Karsten.jpg (6KB, 275x183px)
Karsten.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>Realized religion is a good thing

>Religion is the cause of most evil in the world
What a fucking genius you are
>>
File: 1f5.jpg (33KB, 460x400px)
1f5.jpg
33KB, 460x400px
Go back to bed dad.
>>
>>34215726
yeah this is pretty much where i ended up
i can appreciate how different experiences/values/upbringings can lead people to be religious. i'm not and that's similarly a product of my own life. who really cares?

i can take a step back and say that religion has caused a lot of pain and suffering in the world, but it's also been a useful force for societal cohesion.

i think i am too heavily invested into the cult of rational thinking to ever be able to trul suspend my skepticism and actually believe in a god. sometimes i wish i could do that since i think it'd make me a lot happier
>>
When I was 25.

I looked at the societal issues we have today, and realised a lot of them are caused or made worse by having abandoned religion.

It's good for social cohesion and "community".
We need objective morality, or people try to rationalise anything.
Nihilism is a problem for this generation, nobody has any sense of purpose, they feel everything is meaningless and have no value for life.

Some people are able to find purpose in life and have a good moral compass without needing religion.
Most don't.

Western society abandoned religion far too fast, and with too much prejudice.

We removed religion, and it left a void in society's psyche, and nothing meaningful was there to fill that void.
So it has been filled with nihilism, hedonism, and progressivism.
>>
>>34215664
it's just a thing to socialize. god does not exist and you are wrong.
debate me cause i'm not sure and my life is shit right now
>>
I realized religion was good when I realized it lets you fart around all game and then rush a religious victory by buying a bunch of missionaries.
>>
>>34215664
Well i never was in a edgy atheism phase but i i never really believed in god.
I also don't think religion is just a good or just bad thing. Many things aren't that black and white,especially not such a complex things.

But in the end i don't care,i have more important things to worry about....like how do i get to the toilette without my parents and their guests noticing me....
>>
>>34219710
most peculiarlest post i've ever seeen
>>
>>34215664
I was the same. Edgel0rd 14 year old me that was willing to debate any religious person on the spot. I watched all the Bill Maher videos on YouTube. Then I grew up, I would say I was 20 when I stopped being a faggot. I actually go to church with friends every now and then, even though I don't really believe in God, the community is great. A lot of good hard working people.
>>
>>34216005
Fuck off stupid fedora edgy idiot
>>
>God tells me to honor my parents
>Parents are narcissistic lunatics who think I'm property

>God tells me to be good and he rewards his servants with a good life
>NEET loser while bullies and sociopaths go far ahead with careers and families

>tells you that women want an honorable guy who will be loyal to them for life
>complete opposite is true

I hate to admit it but religion is santa claus-tier. God is either telling me to just throw everything fuck all to survive or that its all bullshit
>>
>>34216089
and the word was made by a binch of trannies, stop using it autists
>>
File: 1470247720859.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470247720859.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
>>34215664
>Atheism is edgy
>>
>>34215664
Honestly I don't believe in any sort of supernatural stuff but I don't think your every day asshole should have to grapple with existential nihilism just to work a 9-5 and get through their shitty life. The only benefit I can see is that I've recognized the importance of not reproducing and imposing the same condition on someone else. However this wasn't especially relevant and I feel like I ought to commit suicide anyway. Also it bothers the hell out of me that I don't have any ethical foundations and probably would do some horrible things if I were so inclined. Atheism is for "muh truth" Matrix obsessed fags.
>>
>>34220353
He's putting you through a test like he deos with hsi dearest servants, if you pass it he will put you in the highest sky right near him
>>
>>34216090
a fandom isn't going to make you a better person anon
>>
>>34216089
Fuck off you stupid edgy atheist nihilistic cluelesstard edgy faggot manchild
>>
>>34215664
If you have little self-control I guess it is a good tool. Personally I have a lot of self-control without religion, I'd probably be ready to as an average Christian. In fact people asked if I was one, and that's in an non-religious country.
>>
>>34220611
What the fuck is with all these atheist edgy manchildren here?
>>
>>34220444
>test lasting 20 years and constant societal standards

I think it means he wants me to give up with this folly
>>
>>34215664
I've held on strong to it since I was like 11 but as much as I hate to say it I've faltered a lot hopefully the divine will have mercy on my soul despite me being such scum

Also
>Not having a bible session with significant other
I've been attracted to Church girls but I dunno...stuff gets freaky and I don't know with other religions and science stuff gets ultra weird
>>
>>34217775
Religon isn't the cause of most evil in the world.

People with bad intentions are.
>>
>>34220633
Nice point.
>>
I'm 28 and I've never been religious. Never even really thought about religion much at all actually. But recently I've been getting these urges to go to church. Theres one a couple blocks from my house I've been considering going to. I've never even been to a church before, so I dont know what making me want to go.
>>
>>34220838
GO, GOO, GOOOOOOOOO!!!

For fuck's sake, God can save your life!
>>
File: 1484099645501.jpg (92KB, 600x609px) Image search: [Google]
1484099645501.jpg
92KB, 600x609px
>tfw fell out of believing in God
>want more than anything to believe again but can't
>>
Gotta love some healthy discussion.
This is going to be a shitstorm soon.
Nice bait OP.
>>
File: 1468626810245.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1468626810245.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
All you bastards have to do is read Tomas Schuman's pamphlets and watch your IQ go up by at least 5 points
>>
File: SORE WA TORAPPU DESU.jpg (24KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
SORE WA TORAPPU DESU.jpg
24KB, 500x281px
>>34220838
To be honest if you are fine, just don't.
>>
Some of Jesus' teachings are good, and many new things in the NT are good, but the OT is full fucking retard. A fairy tale. And I have suspicions that the "God" in the Old Bible is an actual demon posing as "the one and only God". That's the only explanation as to why he's such an asshole.
>>
I used to be an edgy atheist right up until 17-18 when i realised religion is the ultimate redpill
>>
I has a question

>God created everything
>Ergo God created evil

But my friends tell me

>God created everything
>Man created evil by choice

Now to me, the logic doesn't follow. If God created EVERYTHING, then doesn't that mean God also created the results of choices

Right?

Or am I wrong?
>>
>>34222121
>when i realised religion is the ultimate redpill

Yes, YOUR religion is the red pill. All others are wrong, right?

You took a blue pill disguised as a red pill.
>>
File: Bullshit But I Believe IT.jpg (260KB, 570x558px) Image search: [Google]
Bullshit But I Believe IT.jpg
260KB, 570x558px
ITT

mootblox
>>
>>34215664
having faith is fine, organized religion is a cancer that needs to be extracted from society. control through fear and hate is all it has to offer.
>>
>>34215664
It can be good, helps people actually get out and occasionally help communities (mission trips and the like) but it can also be bad (see: Islam)

I recently was baptized and am of the Christian faith, but personally believe that no sole religion has it correct, but instead that perhaps all religions have certain peices, as for figuring out who and what's correct, I haven't gotten to that and personally can't say.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1483952089434.jpg (27KB, 627x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1483952089434.jpg
27KB, 627x720px
>>34216041
>religion
>scientifically proven

Uh
>>
>>34222232
I think the idea is that God sees free will (which implies evilness) as better than bliss philosophical zombies. I'm an atheist, but it's not the worst argument, IMO
>>
>>34222232
it doesn't make logical sense because it's not real, the bible was written by kings that needed to control their slaves and indentured servants.
>>
>>34222569
But I mean, can't God decide what free will is? Can't he just snap his fingers and say "Free will means you always love God no matter what and are incapable of disobeying me."

He's the architect of all things, he decides what they mean, right?

>>34222585
I know that, but my friend and I are at an impasse on this point.
>>
>>34215664
>>34222446
The thing is, faith is actually detrimental, because you can do things and be a good person without it. And don't get all semantics on me, I mean religious faith, and belief in a higher power.
>>
File: image.jpg (315KB, 722x948px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
315KB, 722x948px
>>34215664
>Raised in heavily Christian family
>Turn 14 and become massively obnoxious fedora faggot
>cause pain to everyone around me in my fruit-less pursuit to prove myself right
>grow into adulthood
>regain faith at 20
>Be ashamed, accept Jesus Christ into my heart and recognize my sin
>Read scripture and come to deep understanding of the continiuum
>Granted Holy spirit I now experience life through a whole new perspective being rid of the void in my heart and soul
>still find myself at some kind of loss because I find trouble in spreading my knowledge to others
>>
>>34222232
He allowed free will, he created lucifer who turned on god. Lucifer created temptation, garden of eden went to shit and all that yadda yadda
>>
>>34222628
Why though? If he's omnipotent shouldn't he have been able to see that Lucifer would betray him? And why did he allow it to begin with? It's like God is intentionally stepping on legos.
>>
File: 1474769510519.jpg (27KB, 306x430px) Image search: [Google]
1474769510519.jpg
27KB, 306x430px
>>34215664
religion is good for the masses, because people are so fucking uneducated they need some sense of morals and purpose otherwise our societies would fall to shit.
im not gonna lie im pretty much a nihilist, but i realize if everyone or even a significant amount of people thought the way i do society would be in some deep shit.
but i cant get behind any religion or atheists who all think they are fucking scientists or something, atheists still believe in things too, they believe in whatever the hierarchy of actual scientists hands down to them and accept whatever they read on google as fact even though the "truth" about natural laws and the universe is constantly changing and most theories are just that.. theories
anyways i certainly wont deny the possibility of a god/godlike being/extra dimensions, because if the universe is really so vast and infinite then we dont know whats possible, in fact if it is infinite then the question isnt whats possible but whats probable. But i certainly am not going to spend my life believing in random shit no one can prove.
so idk i really dislike belief i guess that puts me somewhere between agnostic and nihilist

anyway rant over sorry for the personal blog shit
>>
>>34222626
This except a much shorter span. I'm not saying all atheists feel hopelessness, but many do, believing that there is no purpose to life (happiness can still be achieved by instead choosing your own purpose, but some do not come to this realization)
>>
I managed to escape the cycle of nihilism and atheism as soon as 17, but I'm not Christian.
Does that count ?
>>
>>34222656
Lucifer openly betrayed them, and IMO I don't think we, not being in that position, can see why God would do that. Perhaps to turn the earth into a moral gauntlet? But even then he knows the answer. One thing that bugs me heavily is the people who say
>this is a part of God's plan

I mean fuck I don't care who you are. It's impossible to justify giving a newborn cancer.
>>
>>34222703
Tbh that's the only smart decision
>>
File: blanket.gif (19KB, 329x280px) Image search: [Google]
blanket.gif
19KB, 329x280px
As cliche as it is, religion was just a base for more intense spiritual exploration on my part, but like here i am thinking I can communicate on here and not become part of the problem, part of the wild and dystopian world in which all things are innately right or wrong and that if it's not good for you it's no good, or vice versa. This whole internet thing is a cesspool for conversations and "debates" like this, a huge circlejerk of anonymity, which is what fucked religion up in the first place, and what I hide behind now. It's a goofy time to exist because you can never really tell what anyone believes nor do you really want to know, because they keep spewing all this hard bullshit about being some kind of special someone who can see through the bullshit like the asshole who sits behind this computer typing away, spewing all the shit that he would never say irl or even in a fucking text message. The world ain't bleak, but the internet sure is, and it's poisoning the way we see everything else.
>>
>>34222607
Yeah, ultimately you can't rationalize something that defines the boundaries of your ability to rationalize
>>

i know its stupid, but i watched several debates with william lane craig and he made me change my mind
>>
>>34215664
>being free from religious dogma is "edgy"

America, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>34215664
Probably around 16

I now try to follow most christian morals but I can't bring myself to believe in their diety. Like I can get on board with a god creating the universe but the Bible is just such a big red flag.

It's also nice to have a backup response for people realising I'm a virgin
>>
>>34222626
>>Granted Holy spirit I now experience life through a whole new perspective being rid of the void in my heart and soul

Says the guy posting on 4chan, the most degenerate community in the whole internet.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.