[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>parents forcing me to go to college despite having no idea

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: lina.png (393KB, 660x658px) Image search: [Google]
lina.png
393KB, 660x658px
>parents forcing me to go to college despite having no idea what I want to do in life
>they're not even paying for it
what the hell do I do?

I'm going to die
>>
>forcing you
>not paying

That's not how it works, lad.
>>
>>34212408
this
is this just a bait thread op?
>>
During your first two semesters just do Gen Eds while you figure out what you like. No matter what your major is you'll need some kind of lab science, etc.
>>
>>34212394
they cant force you to do anything you dont wanna do anon

money wise, the money you would pay for college could get you a nice cosy flat for yourself
>>
Go to college or face being a robot forever.
>>
I think you should go for it.

I made a lot of friends my freshman year that I still talk to 10 years later. Whereas people I know who went to college later(ie after the military) were better prepared but said they felt isolated.
>>
>>34212394
Accounting. That's what I did. Boring as hell but easy and makes good money.

Well, easy if you are autistic like me but you are on r9k so good chance you are
>>
>>34212408
>>34212413
>>34212438
I am essentially being forced

it's either "go to school" or "we kick you out and you have to work your shitty minimumvwagecuck job forever because you can't save any reasonable amount of money while also paying rent"

yet my obese cunt older sister gets to be a NEET because she's BPD and they're scared of her
>>
>>34212618
Become homeless, that'll show them.
>>
>>34212618
if you're a femanon or qt sissy you can come live with me
>>
>>34212394

>parents forcing me to go to college
>they're not even paying for it

Cry me a river, friendo. I had to do the same thing. Parents are probably forcing you to go (1) because it will allow them to claim you as a dependent on their taxes (2) because they will be able to claim credit for your tuition on their taxes thus increasing their refund , and (3) Being enrolled in college will allow you to remain on their health insurance which will benefit you.

College isn't bad - it beats having a full time job. Grow up and deal with it.
>>
>>34212618
If they're forcing you to go to community college just leave the house for a few hours twice a week and say you're at school. If they're forcing you to go away to college just go and not pay for your classes and live in the dorms
>>
>>34213091
I'm not upset about college I'm upset about having to saddle myself with thousands of dollars of debt for something I don't have any idea of what I'm doing in
>>
>>34212394
>>34212618
I was in your situation too. Get the shitty retail job now, while you're in school. Trust me. The work experience is vital for understanding how your study will be applied in a work environment. It will give you a frame of reference to choose a field of study that will get you a job you want. Making pocket money is also nice and is good practice for learning to manage personal finances.

I know you don't want to but it's important. Dealing with retail hell will give you the motivation to escape into something better. Hard work, a shitty job with shitty pay surrounded by shitty people, there are no upsides to that lifestyle. Go to college, get a degree and a nice easy well paid job after that.
>>
>>34213141
The debt is nothing compared to what it's buying you: a ticket to a better life.
>>
>>34212394
How old are you? Why are your parents having to force you to do anything? What are your own goals/plans?
>>
>>34213212
I'm 19 and I have no goals or plans

I work and when I don't work I lay in bed, and they hate it
>>
>>34213170
people really believe this
>>
>>34213141

Community college or state schools are completely affordable. It was actually cheap enough to where I was able to work while attending and pay my tuition with the money that I made.
>>
>>34213170
i want to punch your face so fucking bad
holy shit do you sound like a faggot
>>
>>34213227

They not only believe it, they've experienced it or stood witness to it.
>>
>>34213224
Then they're probably right to light a fire under your ass. You need to be moving toward total self-sufficiency. If nothing else, get a 2-year certificate from a CC or vocational school that will get you into a better than part-time shit job. Community college is really easy and low stress, and will get you into some work quick if you're smart. Avoid going for a 4-year degree since it's clearly not what you want.
>>
>>34213239

Fuck off with your displaced anger. It's not this anon's fault that you're stupid and/or lazy and wasted your life. The only person you should be punching in the face is yourself.
>>
>>34213245
Explain to me why I can't get a job even with my bachelors in econ (kinda ironic I guess)
>>
>>34213170
t. Daddy paid for my engineering degree so I could work for my grandfather's company
>>
You're going to go to college Autie Von Spergler.
>>
>>34213227
>>34213239
People take business very seriously. As much as we like to meme about ">3 years dishwashing experience required," for the people who DO have that experience it's a huge benefit in getting the job. The same is true of a college degree. To you it's just a piece of paper but to a business it's proof. Proof that you've invested your own time and money, proof that you have a basic level of intelligence and capability, proof that you can show up at a place and do a thing every day for 4 years independent of mommy and daddy. There's nothing good about retail hell, it's not a place you want to be spending your career. Get the paper, get the good job. It's easier and makes more money, there is no downside.
>>
>>34213276

Because econ is a shit major and bachelors degrees are the new high school diploma.

A four year degree isn't a ticket to employment out of school anymore, anon. This isn't the 1990's. Unless you have a solid internship completed and a high GPA (3.5 or higher), your econ degree isn't going to get you too far once you finish college.
>>
>>34213292
I spent 8 years of my life in various retail jobs. It's hell. There's nothing good about it and it's not a sustainable lifestyle. Go to college, get a degree and a real job. Don't waste your time with minimum wage if you have any other option.
>>
>>34213389
Does having a job not proof enough you can do the same thing everyday for 8 hours?
>>
>>34213474
Yes, that's why I said that experience is valuable.

You know that you're not a retard. A business doesn't know that. Why would they take a risk when they could get proof in the form of a college degree that, at the very least, you are not mentally retarded.
>>
>>34213532
>A business doesn't know that.

That's why they have you list references on job applications, it's where you put down your previous employer.
>>
fuck em, just live under a highway with the homeless dudes

neet life baby
>>
>>34213467

I have memories of driving across town to make 6/hr for 4-5 hour shifts at a gift card store in the early 00's. Seems like you'd be better off just raking leaves for cash or something.
>>
>>34212618
Then work full time and be on your own for a while as you figure out a life plan.

You can also try to compromise with your parents. Explain your anxiety about going into five figure debt without a plan or goals. Suggest a middle ground. Work 20-30 hrs a week at a decent company (if you live by one QuikTrip has flexiblw hrs and good wages and upward mobility if you have the time) night classes at community college to get an associates as you develop your academic interests. Agree to get all As and see if your parents will let you stay at home and save up for transferring to a 4 year university to finish a Bachelor's after the Associate's. If you finish the Associate's you can bail and move out with your savings plus better credentials for management level jobs.
>>
>>34213227
>>34213227
yes please dont go to university, try to improve your life, and pursue your intellectual interests.

>losers on 4chan actually believe this
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.