[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you outgrow games, r9k?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

When did you outgrow games, r9k?
>>
>>34211288
I don't think i'll ever outgrow games
>>
>>34211288
When nearing my 30's.

>>34211313
Oh, you will. I used to really love them.
>>
File: 345354541345.jpg (4KB, 281x180px) Image search: [Google]
345354541345.jpg
4KB, 281x180px
Honestly I outgrew everything by the time I was 18. Anime, Vidya, everything. Can't enjoy anything anymore nowadays.

>inb4 hah u r 18
shit nigger i know that
>>
I outgrew it a few months ago, I'm 20. Suddenly thought 'I could be doing something better with my time. This isn't improving me in any way.'

>tfw adult now
>>
>>34211350
I don't have any feeling of fatigue nor do I care about the market trend

I enjoy all forms of games, MMOs, mobile games, competitive games.
>>
Around 14 they stopped being fun but i only stopped at 17
>>
1 year ago. The end is near when you buy new game after new game thinking it will hold your interest. To be honest I actually think videos games haven't really been that special in quite a few years. Best game i've played next gen was The Witcher 3
>>
>>34211429
How old are you? I've also enjoyed most of the genres (somehow MMOs skipped me completely, but I'm sure I would've enjoyed them, too). I grew up when they were starting to make them, and liked them for 25 years at least, but then it just faded away. I still play sometimes, like once a month, but it's not the same.
>>
>>34211288
I'll never outgrow them, but sometimes I'll be too apathetic to do anything at all.
>>
>>34211570

I've been playing Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, Hearthstone (along with almost every other card game like Eternal and Duelyst), Marvel Future Fight on my phone, Civ 6, and I still have a list of games I want to play. Replaying through all the Advance Wars on an emulator and trying to learn Shovel Knight speedrunning for fun.

I know my sister's husband still actively plays Overwatch and Dota and he's 27
>>
>>34211620
I still feel like around 30 it starts to fade in most people, I mean it did for me and everyone I know. But hey, maybe it'll be different for you. This year I'm only looking forward to RDR2. Shit, I don't even have a ps4 anymore, had one for about a year but it was collecting dust.
>>
Single player games are getting harder for me to enjoy desu. Having buds to play with may be a big factor for gamers later on. I can still put in a 6 hour civ sesch as long as I have people to goof around with.
>>
>>34211288
When I didn't have time to play them nor the access. Come back to play them and it's boring now
>>
>>34211288
I guess when my last desktop pc crashed
i was 21 at that time
>>
>>34211400
I bet BEE is your all-time favorite author.
>>
I think I recently outgrew Runescape, because it was runing my life, something like 400 days played, but I play more casual games now, like overwatch competitive mode
>>
I'm just about there. Have played a collective total of about 10 hours in the past month. I'm 24 and just started a great job at a world-wide reputable company.
>>
>i'm so glad I got rid of a hobby that brought enjoyment into my life
>>
>>34212112
>I'd rather play video games like a child instead of finding a more productive hobby
>>
>>34212241
> productivity is objective and I'm not at all projecting my dads hatred of me and my gaming hobby
>>
I have not done so yet but I fully intend to once I've got a job (and start getting my life back on track). I am perfectly aware of how reductive and time-consuming the hobby is but being NEET means that the hobby still has some merit to me.
>>
Not yet. Battlefield 1 is pretty fun desu even if it is revisionist history for nu-males
>>
File: 1418021576624.jpg (371KB, 840x1084px) Image search: [Google]
1418021576624.jpg
371KB, 840x1084px
>>34212241
Why would a hobby need to be productive anyway?
A hobby, by definition, is something you do for enjoyment.
If you want productivity, get a job.
My hobbies are specifically not productive because I spend all day being productive at my job.
>>
>>34211288

I'm 27 and am addicted to world of tanks. But that's the only one.
>>
>>34212405
>If you want productivity, get a job.

What did you mean by this?
>>
>>34212502
Are you having brain problems, anon?
>>
File: 1433428362340.jpg (546KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1433428362340.jpg
546KB, 1920x1080px

I still play games.

The problem is that life gets so increasingly eaten up by work and responsibilities that the very little free time I have, I'd rather spend on eating well, sleeping extra hours, exercising, doing things I have pushed aside for a while etc.

No shit, it takes me about 6 to 8 weeks to finish a regular game. A huge RPG like Witcher 3 takes me half a year. So I've become highly selective on what I play.
>>
>>34212526
I might be, explain what your idea of productivity is first
>>
>>34212405
You could have a hobby in which you write... that is productive as it furthering a skill that has practical use outside of bringing you enjoyment.

Same logic could be applied to drawing, or going to the gym, etc.
>>
File: 1462900531763.jpg (176KB, 768x960px)
1462900531763.jpg
176KB, 768x960px
>>34212701
Again, why would I want my hobby to be productive?
I spend 9 hours a day being productive, why would you then spend my free time being productive as well?
I'll state again, my hobbies are specifically NOT productive
>>
I'm 20, and I hadn't really played a game in a year.

I've been playing some Animal Crossing, though. It's still a waste of time, but it doesn't really pretend not to be as much. It's also a very chill and upbeat game, which helps.
>>
>>34212701
so what you're saying is enjoying yourself in your free time isn't productive
>>
>>34212765
I'm not saying you have to, I'm just presenting you with an alternate perspective. I'd like to be productive outside of work as -in an ideal world- I want to create something of value.
>>
>>34212849
So those who chose to do otherwise are "childish" in your view?
>>
>>34212828
I enjoy writing but it also brings me fulfillment.

>>34212874
No, they just have a difference of perspective - that's a complete oversimplification of human motives.
>>
>>34212849
its almost as if people value things differently from you.
>>
>>34212922
When did I argue otherwise? I'm not suggesting one is better than the other.
>>
File: 1484589486552.jpg (71KB, 960x428px)
1484589486552.jpg
71KB, 960x428px
20/21, but I still play Runescape since it has been my virtual crack going on 15 years.
>>
The only games I still play is vanilla WoW and Chivalry.

I only play Chivalry because I'm bretty good at it and the black knight mode makes me shit my pants from laughter, and WoW because it brings me nostalgia and my friends play it as well.

Currently I'm not hyped for any game because new games have never failed to disappoint me as of late. Maybe I'm growing up (25) or maybe the gaming industry started pandering to a different demographic (aka fucking retards)
>>
File: 1484552888794.jpg (12KB, 426x314px) Image search: [Google]
1484552888794.jpg
12KB, 426x314px
>>34211288
Most people "grew out" around reaching 30's, in truth they dont "grew out of it" they become self aware and then they look back and see all that time they spent playing games, when they could do something more productive and then they just lose intrest in vidya.

And once they see classmates, people they work with having stable relationships, kids, all sorts if intrests.. they try to flee back into the imaginary world but the "feeling" is just not there, and it cannot shelter them anymore, here is where depression kicks in.

And then the last phase: taking a good look into the mirror and this is where most crumble, hair line has receded, couple of teeth missing, pale skin with acne, clothes with ironic sings or comic book characters 22yold wear at anime convenctions, skinny fat or plain fat, eye bags that would put a meth addict to shame, even if they try to fix the looks, energy level is now that of a 80 yold hag and they just cant do it.

Most never recover form spepnding a entire youth playing video games, they end up alone, most likley drunk still forcing themselves to play WoW even tho, they stoped enjoying it almost a decade ago, they try to fit in with new generation of gamers, but are excluded i mean 30yold guy has no place at comic con or any other similar event.

Quit while you can, spend 20s productive so you can fuck around and live careless later in life (this includes playing vidya)
>>
>>34211288
>19 years old
>used to love playing video games
>would spend hours at a time playing games
>now can barely manage to play for more than 20 minutes
>lost all interest in games
>lost interest in everything I used to love
>feel empty
>keep buying games and not playing them
>>
I think you guys are mixing up the idea of "growing out" of something with depression
>>
>>34213234
fuck you I hope you die in a car accident
>>
>>34213253
There hasn't been a revolution in the gaming world to validate people burning away their lives on games. People still see it as a loser Choice, probably cuz it doesn't involve laying and slaying.

I personally think Im ahead sometimes when I see my roomates broke or unfulfilled with the stuff they buy, while I can enjoy a game I paid 20 bucks for over 2 years ago still. The ups and downs.

The trick is to not waste all your time on games. Given they don't consume you I see no reason why somebody shouldn't take pride in being a gamer their entire life.
>>
about 14-15 when I stopped playing MMORPGs and such now I play normie games like fifa and NBA 2k with friends much more fun desu.
>>
>>34213413
LOL you're as mad as Hillary
>>
>>34211288
earlier than I would have liked. I am 24 now and I was done with games by 2012 so 18ish maybe even before that.
>>
>>34211288
Its something I'm working through right now. Recently I've outgrown playing competitive games like League, Overwatch, Battlefield 1, stuff like that. I'll still play them with friends but I won't ever boot something up to play by myself. Just found myself getting more frustrated then enjoying the game. However I am still interested in games like Skyrim and am very interested in getting Breath of the Wild. I feel I'll out grow them by the time I graduate uni, but if I don't I'll probably play games for the rest of my life. Everything in moderation and I think that's what I'm learning. I've always lived by the phrase "Time you spend enjoying something is not wasted time." I've realized that too much is bad but nothing wrong with wanting to escape every once in a while.
>>
>38
>Still play videogames at least 8 hours a week
I just play on my Xbox casually, it's kinda fun still
>>
I didn't realize it until
>Can no longer grind on a game
>Started using cheats on emulators for plot driven stories
>Feel drained while playing
But what really did it was I didn't like talking about them anymore. Which really sucks because other than music, vidya was my only hobby.
>>
>>34211288
Due to college and things like part time jobs and trying to work on my body i really do not have a lot of time to really game as much as i used to which is ok i guess i am addicted to this website and fuckitt though.
>>
>>34211288
i think around 17. I started playing Runescape back when i was 6-7 i think, which was great back in the day. Then moved on to WoW and played that back and forth through the years, but when i got to 17-18, other things started to become more important, like getting laid. Currently 19, i recently bought a ps4, only playing bf1 atm, but i play tops 5 hours a week. It's just not the same
>>
I'm 27, I've grown out of most video games, but every now and then, I get interested in one and play it.

Right now I'm playing Just Cause 3
>>
I will never stop playing video games, as long as I'm not homeless or immortal. And when I'm not playing video games I'm usually attempting making my own.
>>
File: 234234.jpg (158KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
234234.jpg
158KB, 1280x800px
I do occasionally but recently I've started playing Mass Effect 1. I wasn't excpecting to have this much fun at all. I love the sci-fi setting and all of the different alien species and I've been playing for the last 2 days for most of my day which is unusual for me. I usually take long breaks when playing vidya but not this time. Almost finished the game.
>tfw will never be a commander
>tfw no one will ever respect you and rely on you
>tfw will never have a cool loyal crew to support me
>tfw will never explore the galaxy and stars and make a name for myself
>tfw
>>
>>34217204
Shepard dies
>>
>>34217204
New ME coming out in March I think.
>>
>>34211288
25 and I still love them. Working prevents me from playing a lot of the time so I guess that may be why I still enjoy going back to them.
>>
>>34211288
When I was 15. Then I was very suicidal and ended up retaking the hobby til now (25)
>>
25+er here. I'm starting to get those feelings in the back of my mind whenever I play a game or watch anime that "I could be doing something more productive with my time right now." I never get these feelings when I watch a movie or normal TV, including Western cartoons. It's only when watching anime or playing vidya
>>
File: 1111115444345.png (107KB, 462x137px) Image search: [Google]
1111115444345.png
107KB, 462x137px
>>34217312
I've already been spoiled on that among other things a long time ago m8.
>>34217428
Yeah, Andromeda. I'm glad that I've come to enjoy a series with a lot of sequels still left to play, I just hope they don't get worse. I've only ever heard bad things about the third game.
>>
>>34211288
I played some games on my gamecube and psp in middle school, but by junior year I don't think I played video games any more. I was too depressed to enjoy them. Never could put in all that effort for no reward. I feel like it's alienated me from everyone my age because they all expect you to go and play video games with them and be super good, but I don't even know where all the buttons are on the controller without looking at it.
>>
>>34217595
3rd game was fantastic right up until the last 10 minutes, which were so bad it ruined the entire experience.
>>
>>34211288
21ish. I realized I could ruin my life just playing games or actually live life. Ended up getting married, going to post grad school, having kids. Not much time to play now. Though the new Zelda trailers beacon me to give up on life again.
>>
>>34217644
So that three color choice ending thing was that bad huh? I don't know the exact details but from how people reacted it was pretty awful. You think they will be able to make up for that ending in the next game? Also, there is one thing I'm a bit annoyed with, the game seems to give you a lot of choice on things but on others it gives you the illusion of it. I wanted to give the cure of the genophage to Wrex because he's been a cool dude so far and I wanted to help him out. Because in contrast I was able to give the decision on whether or not to save the Rachni so not being able to save the krogans felt unusual.
>>
>>34217804
Eh i'm done buying games from EA and BIOSHIT, it's not just the ending it's how the reacted to it, literally fuck you buy more DLC, ME3 MP was fucking good though almost good enough to make me forget about the shambles ending.
>>
>>34211288
Around when I was 16
>>
>>34211288
When I couldn't afford them anymore to bee quite honest. I just went through a period of withdrawal and I don't know if I'll ever enjoy them again.
They can't sell games on story anymore because of Youtube and most people in online games are either retarded, psychotic or both

>>34213024
The rest is usually true, but tattooed girls being unattractive is a matter of opinion
>>
>>34217871
Last Bioware game I bought was Dragon Age 2 when it first came out. What a travesty that was. Was the last game I ever bought from them. I don't think I've ever been more disapointed in a game than that. So for now I'll just stick to playing my torrented copies of mass effect, I'm in no rush to give my money to them after that.
>>
File: 1478326181275.png (554KB, 539x664px) Image search: [Google]
1478326181275.png
554KB, 539x664px

I just realized I wasted my youth playing this shit. Wasted my education, wasted social skills. This crap is drug. Now I am nowhere and seeking for suicide.
>>
>>34211288
Been forcing myself to not play them for a few years now. Every once in a while I go on a game binge. Then I feel like I regret it later since I have a huge list of things I feel like I need to do and wonder how I wasted so much fucking time playing a game instead of doing something I'd prefer to do or trying to work toward being able to do it.
>>
>>34218367
About to try to pawn my PS3 like I sold off all my xbox shit a few years before the xbone came out and got this ps3 instead because I had a lot of ps2 games I like and wanted to play. Except the stopped selling the fat ps3's and it's a damn slim worthless fucking thing that won't play 2 discs. It feels like a fucking hassal getting rid of it don't even want to keep it since I have like 6 total games, if they have any online portion they're probably fucking dead and useless so it's like pointless to keep around for a minimal campaign and no online. It doesn't even seem like it'd be worth the gas money to go sell the damn thing I wish I could just trade it for a fat ps3.
>>
>>34211288
Years ago but it passes the time and there is nothing else that brings me joy or is worthwhile.
>>
File: 1480948190461.png (358KB, 640x300px)
1480948190461.png
358KB, 640x300px
>mfw 27
>work in the industry as a modeler
>games are basically my life
>work and play over 80 hours a week
>see people buying stuff only to say that they hate it and it's all bad and they don't enjoy it

Hey, as long as you keep buying the games, complain all you want.
>>
>>34218753
How good was your reel when you first got a job? I'm working on my animation reel but I'm scared it's trash and I've only ever animated for a short film in school.
>>
>>34211288

>>34211313
I said this when I was 14ish. I played them all the time and loved them. My entertainment now consists of films, books and music. I literally don't play games at all anymore
>>
Around 30, but if you haven't lost interest by then, it's likely you never will.
>>
About 4 years ago, when I was 21-22. I sometimes visit /v/ in hopes of seeing something that would reignite my passion for vidya and it's just not happening. The last game I played and had a blast was Divinity: Original Sin. Might try out a sequel when it comes out, if my old ass PC can even run it.

I can still fire up Fallout 2 for the 98459035th time and enjoy myself, why can't modern have that sort of longevity?
>>
I still really enjoy playing video games, but I don't play them anywhere near as much as I used to.
>>
>>34211288
I don't enjoy games like I used to but I still love them, and I'll probably never get away from them since I'm striving to be a game designer.
>>
I can't imagine wasting time on games anymore

I just watch LPs
>>
I'm on the edge

Just shitposting on 4chan and occationally play cs go or a car game
>>
>>34211288
>implying
original oregon oregano
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.